Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 262642 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1715 on: August 10, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
Orbert, you may already be aware, but your link is to amazon UK and that price is in GBP (and free shipping is only in the UK)

here is the link to the Burning Shed preorder for 27.95 USD plus shipping = 35.75 USD

https://www.burningshed.com/store/progressive/product/494/7824/
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1716 on: August 10, 2016, 11:04:48 AM »
I was aware, but someone on the Yesfans boards was saying that with the exchange rate, it still works out pretty cheap.  I didn't bother doing the math.  My understanding is that Burning Shed has higher prices in general, although there is some virtue in supporting them and giving Amazon some competition.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #1717 on: August 12, 2016, 02:39:29 AM »
To me it goes like this. 1.Rush 2.Dream Theater 3.Yes.
Not to say that one is better than the other but... Rush, I love their entire discography from end to end and each album feels like a completely different experience while still being Rush. Dream Theater took a lot of influence from Rush and, while I do love a majority of their catalogue, there is still a good few songs I would rather just skip.... and The Astonishing -shivers-.
Yes, I loved up until Going for the One. I don't know, maybe it was the shift from Roger Dean's art to... someone else. Maybe it felt like it was steering away from prog and more towards pop. Tormato I don't hate but it's not what I know Yes to be.
I feel like Drama was a good return back to form. I personally love Drama and the artwork was once again done by Roger Dean. Woo! Next was 90125 and that felt like their Moving Pictures. Every song had a mixture of pop and prog in it and every song from end to end was gorgeous. Kind of reminds me Songs from the Big Chair as well.
I never got a chance to listen to Big Generator or Talk, or Open Your Eyes so I can't judge them. But I know I was never a huge fan on Union or the Anderson Buford Wakeman Howe album. Magnification I know was a derisive album for fans. Some hated it, some loved it. I loved it. I felt it was a really relaxing album all together with its moments of prog. Like Spirit of Survival and Dreamtime. I loved the inclusion of a full symphony. Made it sound fuller. Again, it has a lot to do with the time I was listening to the album as well. It's just very nostalgic for me.
Oh yeah, The Ladder and Keys to Ascension. The Ladder felt too Regae for me and Keys to Ascension was an odd mixture of live stuff and studio stuff. Why wouldn't they just put the studio stuff on one CD and call it an album?
Fly From Here was actually my first Yes song that got me obsessed with Yes in the first place! I heard it from the long gone Prog Rock Block (They haven't been active since around the time Clockwork Angels was new) the album as a whole was OK but I still love Fly From Here. Heaven and Earth isn't as bad as I thought it was but.... yes it's a very boring album. Even the proggy ending song didn't really do anything for anyone.
Yes and Time and a Word feel like the "Before Yes" era leading up to The Yes Album. so from The Yes Album, Fragile, Closer to the Edge, Yessongs (I will include it because it's important), Tales, Relayer, Drama, and then Fly From Here is my definitive collection of great Yes music. Magnification is a personal favorite and the rest are just kinda meh.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1718 on: August 13, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
I would strongly recommend Big Generator and Talk. Very important albums..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1719 on: August 13, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »
Oh yeah, The Ladder and Keys to Ascension. The Ladder felt too Regae for me and Keys to Ascension was an odd mixture of live stuff and studio stuff. Why wouldn't they just put the studio stuff on one CD and call it an album?
I might be wrong, but I understand that the 2 studio songs in the first volume of Keys To Ascension were recorded in late '95, before the reunion shows in '96. The studio songs in the second volume were recorded in late '96, after the first volume had been released. That said, they did put the studio stuff on one CD - called Keystudio, released in 2001.

Do you find The Ladder too reggae-y? I used to listen to that album a lot in 2008/9, and I remember only one song ("The Messenger") felt reggae-y to me. I like that album a lot. "Homeworld", "Lightning Strikes", "If Only You Knew", "Finally"... so many great songs.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1720 on: August 13, 2016, 04:42:50 PM »
I've said before, but I'll say it again, as it's come up. The Ladder is one of my favourite Yes albums. Every song is just so... fun. I think every member of the band seemed to be at a really positive time in their lives, and they seemed very happy to be working together. A couple of the songs do have a very reggae vibe, but I like that (then again, I like reggae, so, hey)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1721 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:02 AM »
The Ladder and Open Your Eyes are my two least favorite Yes albums in the catalogue (and for comparison, Going For The One is my favorite album by any band ever). 

Online Mladen

« Reply #1722 on: August 15, 2016, 10:59:47 AM »
The Ladder is also one of my favorite Yes albums, easily the best post-Drama release. It does sound extremely uplifting and positive for the most part, and also features two of their all time best songs - Homeworld and New languages. I also adore the shorter, fun tracks such as Finally, It will be a good day, If only you knew, Nine voices. Such a consistent, entertaining listen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1723 on: August 15, 2016, 02:04:48 PM »
The Ladder is also one of my favorite Yes albums, easily the best post-Drama release. It does sound extremely uplifting and positive for the most part, and also features two of their all time best songs - Homeworld and New languages. I also adore the shorter, fun tracks such as Finally, It will be a good day, If only you knew, Nine voices. Such a consistent, entertaining listen.

I guess "best" now means "my favorite", because on any standard except "my favorite", there is no way The Ladder beats out the likes of 90210, Big Penetrator, Talk, either of the Keys studio works, or Magnification for "best post-Drama release".   

« Reply #1724 on: August 15, 2016, 02:52:07 PM »

I guess "best" now means "my favorite", because on any standard except "my favorite", there is no way The Ladder beats out the likes of 90210, Big Penetrator, Talk, either of the Keys studio works, or Magnification for "best post-Drama release".
I think it beats Big Generator and Talk. Probably on par with 90125. I could never get into Keys or Magnification asides from a couple of tracks. (IMO)

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #1725 on: August 16, 2016, 05:50:22 AM »
I had a Ladder phaze when I was getting into Yes more. I would binge the albums while working on long school projects. I did enjoy it but I never returned to it much like I did Close to the Edge and Relayer. I need to get into Big Generator and Talk, if I find it on youtube somewhere or something. Even just out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on Heaven and Earth?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1726 on: August 16, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »
Even just out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on Heaven and Earth?
Here, and in a Yes forum, I've read a lot of opinions about how weak it is - most people agree that there is very little energy and dynamics throughout the album. I love the first song, but otherwise I find it boring too.

That said, (most of) the guys were in their mid '60s when they recorded it, so it makes sense - maybe they intentionally went for a softer approach.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1727 on: August 16, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
Only Yes album I still haven't been able to finish.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1728 on: August 16, 2016, 09:54:14 AM »
Heaven and Earth was disappointing for a couple of reasons.  It was the first album from the latest lineup, so people were naturally excited to check it out anyway.  Also, the band had just come off a three-album tour featuring classic albums that kicked ass.  I assumed that somehow playing through those classic albums would put the band into a mindset similar to where they were in the 70's, and the music they subsequently wrote would reflect that.  Not really a fair assumption, but not that ridiculous.  The biggest stretch was probably that Jon Davison sounds the most like Jon Anderson of anyone else other than Anderson himself, acts like him onstage, has the same "spiritual presence" and hey, he even spells his name the same way.  When we heard that he was also a songwriter and was working with Squire and Howe on new music, somehow I assumed that the results would be similar.  Yeah, dumb to think that, eh?

What we got was an album of very nice music, I mean it all sounds great, but honestly it's boring as fuck.  No energy, nothing uptempo.  I wasn't expecting an entire album of "Tempus Fugit" but I also wasn't expecting a CD of elevator music.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1729 on: August 16, 2016, 04:43:26 PM »
Yes isn't Yes without Jon Anderson or Chris Squire. I am keenly looking forward to the new release coming from Anderson, Wakeman, and Rabin.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1730 on: August 16, 2016, 10:17:29 PM »
Heaven and Earth was disappointing for a couple of reasons.  It was the first album from the latest lineup, so people were naturally excited to check it out anyway.  Also, the band had just come off a three-album tour featuring classic albums that kicked ass.  I assumed that somehow playing through those classic albums would put the band into a mindset similar to where they were in the 70's, and the music they subsequently wrote would reflect that.  Not really a fair assumption, but not that ridiculous.  The biggest stretch was probably that Jon Davison sounds the most like Jon Anderson of anyone else other than Anderson himself, acts like him onstage, has the same "spiritual presence" and hey, he even spells his name the same way.  When we heard that he was also a songwriter and was working with Squire and Howe on new music, somehow I assumed that the results would be similar.  Yeah, dumb to think that, eh?

What we got was an album of very nice music, I mean it all sounds great, but honestly it's boring as fuck.  No energy, nothing uptempo.  I wasn't expecting an entire album of "Tempus Fugit" but I also wasn't expecting a CD of elevator music.

If they ever make another album, I hope there's more of Downes in the writing, and perhaps even input from White, if he's well enough by then, just to vary things up a bit. Downes' only writing credit on H&E was part of "Subway Walls", and that was easily my favorite track on the album.

Compared to this, Fly From Here feels like a B+/A- album, and even while *I* personally liked it, it wasn't so well-received by many fans (I don't think, at least at the time of its release - opinions may have changed since then), but with the way Heaven & Earth turned out, the previous album has way more of that unique Yes-sound that I enjoy than H&E did.

I kind of hope that Yes put out just ONE MORE album, and throw in all of their best material and take it up a notch, just to say "Hey, this is it, this is the last one, so we're giving it all we've got" and just call it a day with one last album, one last tour, and hang up the towel.

Alternatively, if they want to continue the tradition of making Yes the type of revolving-door band, keep Howe and Downes, maybe Sherwood (who is pretty damn good on the latest CIRCA: album release last month), and write some fresh material. If White isn't up to it, find a fresher drummer, or just keep Schellen, who has worked with both Downes and Sherwood, in Asian and CIRCA: respectively, and already has some chemistry with the band.

With the exception of Jon Davison, the rest of the band consists of 3 members of Asia and  2 members of CIRCA:/Yoso, so they've definitely got some pretty good chops, and recent albums by Asia have been fairly good. I think this current band, with Davison/Howe/Downes/Sherwood/Schellen, could turn out one great record. I'd be excited to see how it would turn out.

If not, maybe they should just "pass the torch" and slowly revolve out older Yesmen and bring in new ones, but with White currently out, if Howe left, I wonder if anyone would still go see their concerts? The cries of Yesfans saying that it'd just be another "Yes Tribute Band" wouldn't be unreasonable, but then again, every iteration of Yes is technically a Yes Cover band when you think about it...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #1731 on: August 17, 2016, 04:58:35 AM »
I would love to see Yes write another record. Like Marc, I think it would be good to not leave the majority of the writing to Davidson/Howe. Interestingly, White also wrote the song "To Ascend" (or at least some of it) along with Davidson, as well as Subway Walls, and To Ascend is one of my favourites on the whole album. As someone who could never really get into Fly From Here, I didn't mind Heaven and Earth. General consensus with the fans seems to be one of love/hate. To continue on what Marc said, I really do like the idea of Yes being a revolving-door style band. I think that that might have something to do with me being a teenager, many of the bands I love are no longer together, so to have the band continue for a longer time (albeit without the members of the classic lineup) performing songs that I truly love, at least under the name of the original artist, would be fantastic. I do wonder if many of the people who have already seen Yes live before would even contemplate it again without Howe and White being there, however.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1732 on: August 17, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »
First, I generally don't engage in the "[Insert band]-cover band" conversations.   There are great bands - Deep Purple for one - that are not technically "original members" but are still viable.   I've enjoyed several Sabbath that were basically Iommi solo albums. 

There are, however, bands that have members that for me bring critical mass to the proceedings.   Purple was my favorite band ever (because of Blackmore).  I like the post-Blackmore material, and it is case-by-case as to whether I'll continue on, but in contrast, DT is not the same for me without Mike (I'm not trying to open a can here, it just "is").  I don't care about Ace and Peter in or out of Kiss - I actually think the band is better WITHOUT Peter - but I can't imagine Genesis without Tony Banks.   Bruce Dickinson is the greatest metal singer ever in my opinoin, but I love the two Di'Anno albums, and can't stand the two Blaze albums.   

The point of all this is to say... I can live with no Jon, no Rick, no Bill, no Alan, no Steve... but I need proof that this is a sustainable unit without Chris Squire.   I loved Fly From Here (Into The Storm is the best Yes track since Tempus Fugit) but I felt Chris was missing on H&E, and, well, he's really missing now.  We'll see.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1733 on: August 17, 2016, 10:23:09 AM »
First, I generally don't engage in the "[Insert band]-cover band" conversations.   There are great bands - Deep Purple for one - that are not technically "original members" but are still viable.   I've enjoyed several Sabbath that were basically Iommi solo albums. 

There are, however, bands that have members that for me bring critical mass to the proceedings.   Purple was my favorite band ever (because of Blackmore).  I like the post-Blackmore material, and it is case-by-case as to whether I'll continue on, but in contrast, DT is not the same for me without Mike (I'm not trying to open a can here, it just "is").  I don't care about Ace and Peter in or out of Kiss - I actually think the band is better WITHOUT Peter - but I can't imagine Genesis without Tony Banks.   Bruce Dickinson is the greatest metal singer ever in my opinoin, but I love the two Di'Anno albums, and can't stand the two Blaze albums.   

The point of all this is to say... I can live with no Jon, no Rick, no Bill, no Alan, no Steve... but I need proof that this is a sustainable unit without Chris Squire.   I loved Fly From Here (Into The Storm is the best Yes track since Tempus Fugit) but I felt Chris was missing on H&E, and, well, he's really missing now.  We'll see.

Chris' presence is definitely missed, though I think if they wrote an album with Billy Sherwood, he'd fill those shoes adequately enough, IMO. His work with CIRCA: has been nothing short of amazing, and he's a pretty good guitarist and bassist, not too mention vocalist, so he'd be able to pull off amazing harmonies with Steve and Jon.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Mladen

« Reply #1734 on: August 17, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »

That's why "my favorite" is in the post. That's actually the only standard there is, by the way. And as far as I'm concerned, it surpasses albums like Magnification, 90125 and Talk by quite a bit. Even though I like those as well.

« Reply #1735 on: August 17, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »

Chris' presence is definitely missed, though I think if they wrote an album with Billy Sherwood, he'd fill those shoes adequately enough, IMO. His work with CIRCA: has been nothing short of amazing, and he's a pretty good guitarist and bassist, not too mention vocalist, so he'd be able to pull off amazing harmonies with Steve and Jon.

-Marc.

I miss Chris more than words can say, honestly. Live at Mesa is something I watch very regularly just because it's the last official release with him on it. I do think Billy is doing a freaking fantastic job, though. (although I do wish he'd play a Rick) I think an album with him on bass would do me just fine.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #1736 on: August 17, 2016, 12:05:51 PM »
Yeah, I was really sad to hear about Chris Squire. All this around the time Keith Emerson and Prince passed away too. So many great musicians are falling.
But chris's bass work has always been a favorite thing about Yes for me. It was such a unique sound.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: September 01, 2016, 07:03:32 AM »
Man, I really love this live version of 'Onward'. It's much better than the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ_UvogGQ_A
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1738 on: September 01, 2016, 08:48:40 PM »
Man, I really love this live version of 'Onward'. It's much better than the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ_UvogGQ_A

I can't see what it is, but is that the live version from Keys?  If it is, I totally agree.  Fantastic version of a song I never gave much thought to prior to hearing that version (largely because Tormato is such utter shit that I blocked most of it out :lol).

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: September 02, 2016, 03:30:11 AM »
Yeah it's live from 1996 so I guess it's from Keys.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1740 on: January 21, 2017, 11:52:52 PM »
Does anyone know why I can't find a copy of the Close to the Edge Blu-Ray mix from 2014 anywhere?  Amazon has used copies and some imports from Japan, but that seems to be it.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1741 on: January 22, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »
The Steven Wilson 5.1 Blu-ray?  Those were all limited editions.  The market for 5.1 music still isn't really taking off.  If you can't find one, I'm sure it's because all the ones they made were sold.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1742 on: January 22, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
I just picked up TFTO and Relayer.   I didn't realize that they would disappear.   Maybe I need to put the other three higher on my queue.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1743 on: January 22, 2017, 09:36:50 AM »
 Oh my wow! I'm just now listening to Relayer  for the first time in the car! I can't believe what a difference this remaster makes!  I always felt that this was possibly Yes'  greatest album buried in a horrible mix.  Steven Wilson just saved this album!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1744 on: January 22, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
Thanks for resurrecting this thread! I could not find it. Now I can talk a bit more properly about the fact I've started to get into Yes in the last few months. I got The Yes Album last February, mainly for Starship Trooper, but the interest really started when I bought Fragile in September. What an incredible album! I even love all the shorter tracks, even We Have Heaven, which kind of annoyed me a bit on first listen. Now I just lose myself in it. My favourite off Fragile though is South Side of the Sky. Really catchy, and I often have it stuck in my head.

I picked up Relayer and Close to the Edge in the space of a few weeks in Nov/Dec. The song Close to the Edge absolutely deserves the hype. That pipe organ part c. 12 mins in is extraordinary! And Siberian Khatru is just GROOVY! I had no idea that Yes could groove like that!

Sad that it took the death of Chris Squire to give me the kick up the backside I needed to give Yes' music a try, but I'm so glad I did now! Onwards on the road of discovery I go!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1745 on: January 22, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »
Does anyone know why I can't find a copy of the Close to the Edge Blu-Ray mix from 2014 anywhere?  Amazon has used copies and some imports from Japan, but that seems to be it.

Where are you? I just bought it about a month ago.  I think it was a vendor on eBay, but it was a new copy. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1746 on: January 22, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
The 5.1 Blu-rays are all fantastic.  And the remastered CDs sound kickass as well.  Relayer gets the "most improved" award from me, because I've always liked it, but never really got completely into it like I did with Close to the Edge and even Tales from Topographic Oceans.  Now it's right up there, too.  It just sounds freaking amazing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1747 on: January 24, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »
I never had a problem with the sound of Relayer to begin with. Guess I'll need to track down a copy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1748 on: January 24, 2017, 06:15:16 PM »
For me, the biggie is that SW omitted the war noises and sound effects during the "battle scene" in "The Gates of Delirium".  I know what they were originally going for, how war is loud and confusing and stuff, but I always thought it was a bit too much and for me it detracted from the song.  I'd rather hear what the guys are playing.  SW apparently felt the same way.

But in general, as with all of the SW remasters, it's the clarity.  Howe's Telecaster is still harsh and brash, as it should be, but it somehow doesn't hurt my ears any more.  Everything sounds cleaner in general.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1749 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
I'll have to check that out. I love Relayer but the production is really harsh. I like the battle sounds though, disappointed that they are taken out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods