Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257528 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1680 on: May 16, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
For the fans of Rabin era, I just found (maybe many of you already know this) a show on Youtube, "Yes - Full Concert - Live in Chile - Talk Tour 1994 Pro-Shot & Stereo", with very good quality like it was filmed for TV.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1681 on: May 18, 2016, 01:45:20 PM »
Now I found a EXCELLENT soundboard audio boot from the same tour, "Yes - Full Concert Talk Tour 1994 (Stereo Soundboard) Remastered". The version of Endless Dream includes an extended (and wonderful) guitar solo at the end. Cool thing to notice in this recording is how better "mixed" the bass are in Rabin era songs, which IMO, almost always were low in the studio versions, for Yes standards.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1682 on: May 18, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Just a suggestion, why not post the links to these vids that you find?  I know we could search them out ourselves, but if the idea is to share, it's more likely people will click a link than do the searching themselves.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1683 on: May 18, 2016, 01:59:56 PM »
Sorry, Orbert, I was in doubt if I was allowed to do this. I believe that there's no problem, if they are not official releases, right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNqLcYNFlpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYMMam4xXv8

Edited: The page with download link that I posted isn't working.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:50:57 PM by devieira73 »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1684 on: May 18, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
That's my understanding.  Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1685 on: May 18, 2016, 05:56:44 PM »
Listening to a little now, those harmonies at the beginning of The Calling sound awesome.  That is one major advantage the Rabin era had over the Howe era: Rabin being the 3rd voice in there, along with Anderson and Squire, made the harmonies so much better.

Also, I remember them playing some of Siberian Khatru at the start of the shows on that tour, but I didn't remember them playing that much.  Pretty cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1686 on: May 18, 2016, 06:10:18 PM »
I Am Waiting sounded good, except for the bridge in the middle, which sounded dreadful.  Ouch.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1687 on: May 19, 2016, 11:29:31 AM »
What do you think of "Endless Dream"?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1688 on: May 19, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
I've had The Yes Album for a little over 2 months now, and tbh none of the other songs grab me anywhere near as much as Starship Trooper. They're alright, don't get me wrong, but Trooper is still the best song on there by a huge margin.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1689 on: May 19, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
^^^ The song that pushed me over the edge with respect to Yes, and still a top three all time Yes song for me.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1690 on: May 19, 2016, 01:54:16 PM »
pushed me over the edge

I can see that happening if you were already close to the edge.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

:|

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1691 on: May 19, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »
Starship Trooper is an absolute classic and probably the best of the album but Yours Is No Disgrace is a close second.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1692 on: May 19, 2016, 03:37:49 PM »
What do you think of "Endless Dream"?

That live version? What I heard of it (first 5 minutes) sounded good. I'll listen to the rest when I have time this weekend.

Still a top 10 Yes song, in my book.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1693 on: May 19, 2016, 05:15:22 PM »

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1694 on: June 06, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
Don;t know if this is the right place to post this but Jon Anderson released a snippet of his new upcoming album with Roine Stolt (Flower Kings and Transatlantic)

To me this small sample sounds more like Yes than the latest Yes album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuzdnlqWMqI

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1695 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30:48 PM »

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1696 on: June 29, 2016, 03:08:33 PM »
So, like Orbert's post, not really the RIGHT place to put this, buuuuuuuuut... just booked tickets for the Manchester date of ARW. This'll be my first "Yes" (although not technically Yes) show.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1697 on: June 29, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
So, like Orbert's post, not really the RIGHT place to put this, buuuuuuuuut... just booked tickets for the Manchester date of ARW. This'll be my first "Yes" (although not technically Yes) show.

Well, it's Yes Music played by 3 guys who were in Yes, including a founding member (which, while it doesn't technically mean anything, the currently touring Yes doesn't have a founding member), so yeah, I'd say it's pretty Yes-like. ARW and Circa are just as much Yes as Yes can call themselves, IMO. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1698 on: June 29, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
I wouldn't go quite that far with Circa, although they do have a pretty strong case if they ever wanted to push it.  They did that phenomenal live Yes Medley a while back, a 40-minute tour through the history of Yes, and their lineup has multiple founding and former Yes members.  But they've always promoted their own identity first.  Usually their names comes up in discussions like "If you like classic Yes, you'll probably like..."

ARW, on the other hand, is going the opposite direction, pushing the Yes name in the tour ("An Evening of Yes Music" -- sound familiar?) and Jon Anderson shooting his mouth off about ARW being "the next understanding of Yes" and how Yes is in his blood and soul, therefore any music he makes is Yes music.  He's even said "I never really left Yes."  Yeah, right, Jon.  You quit the band twice, and sold your shares in the Yes, LLC.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1699 on: June 29, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »
I wouldn't go quite that far with Circa, although they do have a pretty strong case if they ever wanted to push it.  They did that phenomenal live Yes Medley a while back, a 40-minute tour through the history of Yes, and their lineup has multiple founding and former Yes members.  But they've always promoted their own identity first.  Usually their names comes up in discussions like "If you like classic Yes, you'll probably like..."

True, they do have their own unique sound, but I feel like it's definitely grounded in Yes music, especially the first album, being that that line-up features all Yesmen (in some capacity). However, their new album coming out soon is four songs, and runs about 50 minutes long, which is fairly proggy and quite Yes-like (looking at albums from the 70's, at least). I'm excited to hear what Circa: does with 14 and 18 minute tracks.

ARW, on the other hand, is going the opposite direction, pushing the Yes name in the tour ("An Evening of Yes Music" -- sound familiar?) and Jon Anderson shooting his mouth off about ARW being "the next understanding of Yes" and how Yes is in his blood and soul, therefore any music he makes is Yes music.  He's even said "I never really left Yes."  Yeah, right, Jon.  You quit the band twice, and sold your shares in the Yes, LLC.

Heh, well, if Jon had gotten Bruford/Levin for ARW, you can surely bet he'd be touting the Yes banner even higher, though I still stand that had he gotten them to play with him, their name should've been BRAWL. I'll be interested to see which Yessongs they play on tour, and how their over-all sound develops (as well as who else they get to play with them). I'd be more interested if they decide to make some NEW music in the studio.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1700 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
It's hard to even say what the direction is for ARW, since the three of them have said different things in various interviews and press releases, some contradictory to others.  First they were getting together to make some music, which everyone assumed meant a new album, then it was more about the tour, then it was still just in the planning stages and they were passing ideas back and forth over the Internet (Wakeman's in England, Rabin's in L.A., and Anderson is somewhere between here and Alpha Centauri) so maybe everything they'd said up to that point was all hype anyway.

Now they're putting together tour dates, they still haven't actually collaborated or rehearsed anything together, but apparently the idea is to put a new spin on Yes favorites, and that's the "new" part.  So all anyone can do is speculate right now.

Rabin and Wakeman have wanted to work together since before Union, and were looking forward to working together on an album after Union (the album which ultimately became Talk) but the suits put the kibosh on that.  So 20 years later, they're finally doing something, with Jon Anderson as the go-between, so to speak, being the one who's worked with both of them already.  Some believe that Chris Squire's passing last year, which ended any hope of a "re-Union" of any given lineup, is what prompted Rabin and Wakeman to realize that time is finite, life is finite, and if they're going to do this, they need to get off their asses and do it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1701 on: June 30, 2016, 07:43:45 AM »

That is kind of disingenuous.  I know Jon is not a minor member (he was the driver behind Tales, for example) but his latter years work with them was, in my opinion, phoned in.   I think Rabin has more claim at this point to the Yes name than Anderson does.

I just got Rabin's first solo album, Face To Face, and Can't Look Away, and while the first one sucks (godDAMN are those some bad lyrics), if you didn't know better and played the four Rabin songs from Union next to about half of CLA, you wouldn't be able to tell they were different ALBUMS let alone different bands. 

Personally, I would consider ARW as valid as any other Yes offshoot, but in my not-so-humble opinion, if it doesn't have Chris Squire (and particularly his vocal harmonies) it's not TRULY Yes.  Though I've had to change my tune before (I always thought there couldn't possibly be a Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore, but alas the current incarnation sounds pretty damn good). 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1702 on: June 30, 2016, 10:10:49 AM »
Rabin's work has a particular sound, focused much more narrowly than the "Yes sound" which varies wildly.  That's not surprising of course, since Yes has had dozens of lineups over 40 or 50 years, and Rabin's work is always just Rabin's work.  It's him, with maybe 10% or 20% contributions from others, tops, regardless of what the credits say, and often less than that.  So while I haven't listened to Can't Look Away in a long time, it makes sense that it sounds just like his Union tracks.

I wouldn't go so far as to give him the Yes torch, though, if it came down to a wrestling match between him and Anderson.  Anderson founded the band, and he was in it before, during and after Rabin.  The late 90's stuff wasn't on the same level as the 70's stuff, but there's good stuff on Keys to Ascension I and II, and The Ladder, that was clearly driven by Anderson, and Magnification was definitely his baby.  I don't detect any "phoning it in" on any of those releases, the last ones he did with Yes.  Even Open Your Eyes, which was mostly driven by Squire, has some good stuff, and Anderson seems as strong as ever.

Rabin made three albums with Yes, three very good albums, I'll give him that, but he made it clear that that band was never meant to be Yes, and I while it can't help but sound Yessish because of the personnel, especially Jon's voice, I don't think that that gives Rabin anything over Jon.  Not that he ever would, but even if Rabin decided to make a new album and call it a Yes album, it wouldn't be Yes unless Jon was on it.

If ARW ever releases an album, I'll probably file it with Yes, just as ABWH and the ABWH live album are filed with Yes.  But Rabin's solo work is just Rabin's solo work to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1703 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
Those are all fair points, well articulated.   I would argue with "The Ladder" not being phoned in.   "Open Your Eyes" is my least favorite of the catalogue, and "The Ladder" is one rung above that.  Pun intended.   I know there is really no way to discern between the two, but I like the Jon of "Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you" and the Jon that made Rick play that swirling end to Awaken a brazillion times so that it really DID sound like a spiral stairway to heaven, and I really don't like the Jon of "Shirley's on crack time" and "Hep Yadda".   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1704 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
Yeah, "crack time" will live forever in infamy among Yesfans.  Jon got into a lot of other styles and genres as time went on, as all musicians do, but the problem was his wanting to bring those influences back to Yes, where they didn't always fit.  That might sound more negative than it is.  In general, I like bands trying new things, pushing in different directions, so maybe the problem I have (and apparently a lot of Yesfans have) is that I just don't like those other sounds that Jon tried to bring to Yes.  I don't want world music or neo-reggae or with my Yes, and I prefer ethereal poetry to literal lyrics about first-world problems.

I'm not a big fan of The Ladder, either, but I do know that a lot of people like it and consider it a return to form, as long as you skip certain songs.  I'm just glad to live in the 21st century, where everything has a Skip button!

« Reply #1705 on: June 30, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »
I'm not a big fan of The Ladder

Now, here is where we disagree. I would go as far as to say that The Ladder makes my top 5, behind CTTE, Fragile and Drama. Much like some of Rabin's work, I find some of the lyrics on The Ladder cheesy (cough, Lightning Strikes, cough) I don't think there is an inherently bad song on the record, and hey, who doesn't love a bit of cheese?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1706 on: June 30, 2016, 11:49:20 AM »
I never had the impression that Anderson phoned it in, even though I don't really like The Ladder or Magnification. If there was one who could be blamed of phoning it in, for me it would be Steve Howe. I get the impression that when he's not really behind the music he just noodles along, whereas when he's behind it he comes up with interesting licks and riffs. His later style is often just soloing over everything but sometimes it gets really annoying.

Re Rabin: he's not Yes and he wouldn't clame to be. He was a big part and I really like the three records, probably more than most but like Orbert says, that was mostly him with a little bit of Anderson. If Anderson had sung on Can't Look Away it would be a great Yes-West album.

And if ARW release new music I would also file it in the Yes vincinity, just like ABWH and Anderson/Stolt.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1707 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »

I just got Rabin's first solo album, Face To Face, and Can't Look Away, and while the first one sucks (godDAMN are those some bad lyrics), if you didn't know better and played the four Rabin songs from Union next to about half of CLA, you wouldn't be able to tell they were different ALBUMS let alone different bands. 

:(  I like the first album a lot.  The lyrics aren't great, and there are a few throwaways, but the first four songs, Stay with Me and Painted Picture are all really good musically.

I agree about some of this stuff sounded very Yes-ish, though, and for obvious reasons.  He was, by most accounts, the band's main songwriter during his tenure.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1708 on: July 09, 2016, 11:39:13 PM »
For any fans of CIRCA:, the band's new album is now out. It's four tracks, ranging from 7 minutes to nearly 19 minutes, totaling just above 50 minutes.

The music is VERY CIRCA:, and if you've enjoyed ANY of their previous albums, you'll definitely enjoy this one. There's a lot of fresh ideas on here that are performed in a way that is still very CIRCA: but with a bit more Yes-flair in my ears. The band rocking pretty hard on this one, and I'm enjoying the longer tracks, the opener and the closer. Nice to see this Yes-offshoot flex their prog muscles a bit more. These guys deserve more recognition than they get.

-Marc.

« Reply #1709 on: July 10, 2016, 09:32:57 AM »
I'd seen on Billy's facebook that they were working on a new record. Didn't know it was out. I'll definitely check it out if they're going more "prog". I have the first album, and didn't mind it. Haven't heard anything off any releases other than that, though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1710 on: July 10, 2016, 07:29:43 PM »
Cool!  I like Circa, and look forward to hearing the new stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1711 on: August 10, 2016, 07:35:05 AM »
Tales from Topographic Oceans 3 CDs + Blu-ray with 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson

September 30, 2016

Presumably there will be less elaborate packages also created, but maybe not.  There haven't been other versions of the previous SW 5.1 remixes.  Also, for as nice of a package this is, the price isn't bad at all.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1712 on: August 10, 2016, 08:18:13 AM »
I might get this. I don't have the album on CD and Tales in 5.1 sounds like a very immersive experience.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #1713 on: August 10, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
I don't have Tales on CD either, so I'll probably pick it up. I absolutely love the 5.1 mixes of Fragile. Steven Wilson does a great job.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1714 on: August 10, 2016, 10:11:42 AM »
I've never pre-ordered anything before.  For me, nothing so incredibly important that I must have it as soon as humanly possible.  But this price actually seems too low, and I know that if you pre-order, Amazon will honor the price, even if they figure out that three CDs and a Blu-ray for the same price as a regular CD is wrong.  So I'm thinking of maybe pre-ordering just to lock in the price.

Presumably everybody has heard by now, but all of the Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes are just plain amazing.  I have all the Yes ones so far, and will definitely be adding this one.