Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 257172 times)

Kyo and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1610 on: November 21, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
Sorry, I guess I thought it was common knowledge that these editions are completely packed with extras, including every possible mix you can imagine.  Yes, there is an HD 2.0 version.  Every one of the "Steven Wilson edition" releases is like this.

I've read that this is supposedly the last one for now, possibly for good.  If true, this would contradict the original statement that they're doing the everything from Time and a Word through Relayer, although that statement was later changed to be only the "classic 70's albums" (which is harder to define, thus leaving things more open-ended).  I've also read that the mix of Tales from Topographic Oceans is already done, but that could just be a rumor.  Hell, it's all rumors and hearsay.  I just wait until something comes out.  No use getting all psyched up for something promised and then being disappointed.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1611 on: November 24, 2015, 04:55:57 PM »
Someone on the Yesfans boards was on this year's Cruise to the Edge and had a chance to talk to Steve Howe.  Asked about Tales from Topographic Oceans in 5.1, Steve said it was already out.  He was then corrected by Jon, but he seemed surprised that Fragile is supposedly the last of the 5.1 releases, because he personally tweaked the final mixes of Tales with Steven Wilson.  He's a big proponent of 5.1 music; he sees it as taking Yes into the 21st century.

Meanwhile, Steven Wilson has also confirmed that the 5.1 mix of Tales is done, and doesn't understand why there don't appear to be any plans to release it.  I keep seeing references to Fragile being the last release "for now" but can't find where that story originated.

I have no idea what's going on.  If I had to guess, maybe it has something to do with Tales being a double album, thus likely to command a higher price, and they're still working out the pricing behind the scenes, between the label and the distributor or something.  But I don't know.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1612 on: November 24, 2015, 10:04:50 PM »
well, I hope they release it eventually.  I've loved every release in the series so far and would like to see the run from The Yes Album to Relayer be complete.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1613 on: November 25, 2015, 07:16:59 AM »
Someone on the Yesfans boards was on this year's Cruise to the Edge and had a chance to talk to Steve Howe.  Asked about Tales from Topographic Oceans in 5.1, Steve said it was already out.  He was then corrected by Jon, but he seemed surprised that Fragile is supposedly the last of the 5.1 releases, because he personally tweaked the final mixes of Tales with Steven Wilson.  He's a big proponent of 5.1 music; he sees it as taking Yes into the 21st century.

Meanwhile, Steven Wilson has also confirmed that the 5.1 mix of Tales is done, and doesn't understand why there don't appear to be any plans to release it.  I keep seeing references to Fragile being the last release "for now" but can't find where that story originated.

I have no idea what's going on.  If I had to guess, maybe it has something to do with Tales being a double album, thus likely to command a higher price, and they're still working out the pricing behind the scenes, between the label and the distributor or something.  But I don't know.

The bigger package because of the double album could lead to a box set of some sorts. If they want to release just as much different HQ audio tracks as on a shorter album they could even need a double blu ray (though I doubt that). So that could mean that they'd make a big 45 year anniversary box or something.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1614 on: December 17, 2015, 09:41:17 AM »
Update:  There is no completed Tales from Topographic Oceans in 5.1 after all, and there are still no plans to release any more Yes albums in 5.1, according to a post on Yesfans.com.  Crap.

----------

From Steven Wilson's latest newsletter:

"Steve Howe of Yes recently mentioned that you were also working on “Tales from Topographic Oceans”?

Steve heard some work-in-progress mixes I was working on in 2013 of that album, including my first attempt at a 5.1 mix, but as things stand, there aren’t any more Yes releases planned. There was talk about me doing “Drama”, an album I really love and that would sound great in 5.1, but not all the members of that line up are keen for the album to be remixed—which is totally understandable—and I wouldn’t want to do something without the band being behind it.

----------

Whoever said that Steven himself confirmed the existance of Tales in 5.1 was obviously wrong.  I don't subscribe to Steven's newsletter, but unless someone on the Yesfans boards is just plain making things up (which I suppose is a possibility, but unlikely since it can so easily be verified, or not) this would seem to be the official word, from Steven himself.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1615 on: December 17, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
Update:  There is no completed Tales from Topographic Oceans in 5.1 after all, and there are still no plans to release any more Yes albums in 5.1, according to a post on Yesfans.com.  Crap.

----------

From Steven Wilson's latest newsletter:

"Steve Howe of Yes recently mentioned that you were also working on “Tales from Topographic Oceans”?

Steve heard some work-in-progress mixes I was working on in 2013 of that album, including my first attempt at a 5.1 mix, but as things stand, there aren’t any more Yes releases planned. There was talk about me doing “Drama”, an album I really love and that would sound great in 5.1, but not all the members of that line up are keen for the album to be remixed—which is totally understandable—and I wouldn’t want to do something without the band being behind it.

----------

Whoever said that Steven himself confirmed the existance of Tales in 5.1 was obviously wrong.  I don't subscribe to Steven's newsletter, but unless someone on the Yesfans boards is just plain making things up (which I suppose is a possibility, but unlikely since it can so easily be verified, or not) this would seem to be the official word, from Steven himself.
Little bit disappointing. Love Tales and Drama (it's currently the only non-Anderson release I play regularly) would have loved a 5.1 version of that.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1616 on: December 22, 2015, 11:41:14 PM »
I've read somewhere that Jon Anderson is working on an opera about Bill and Hillary Clinton.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to this but wonder if he includes a cover of "Have A Cigar".  :laugh:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1617 on: February 24, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »
Sorry to resurrect, but I just learnt that a new book on the history of the band will be released next week. So cool! I hope I manage to get a copy here.

I discovered Yes in 2005. I think the first song I ever checked out on my own was "Hearts". Then in 2006 a friend lent me his father's copies of Talk and Big Generator. I liked one or two songs on the latter, but Talk I absolutely adored (and still do). Later, I checked out their '70s material, obviously. But I was mainly attracted to their '90s discography - so many gems that even the band has ignored since. From the last two albums, there are some songs I like, but most of the rest I find weak.

These are my 10 favourite Yes songs:

1 Homeworld (The Ladder)
2 Love Shine (Open Your Eyes)
3 Going For The One (Going For The One)
4 Believe Again (Heaven & Earth)
5 The Revealing Science Of God (Tales From Topographic Oceans)
6 Time And A Word (Time & A Word)
7 Almost Like Love (Big Generator)
8 That, That Is (Keys To Ascension)
9 Miracle Of Life (Union)
10 State Of Play (Talk)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1618 on: February 24, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »
Sorry to resurrect, but I just learnt that a new book on the history of the band will be released next week. So cool! I hope I manage to get a copy here.

I discovered Yes in 2005. I think the first song I ever checked out on my own was "Hearts". Then in 2006 a friend lent me his father's copies of Talk and Big Generator. I liked one or two songs on the latter, but Talk I absolutely adored (and still do). Later, I checked out their '70s material, obviously. But I was mainly attracted to their '90s discography - so many gems that even the band has ignored since. From the last two albums, there are some songs I like, but most of the rest I find weak.

1 Homeworld (The Ladder)
10 State Of Play (Talk)

Always the first to acknowledge that taste is an individual thing, and there is no right answer, but only to continue the conversation, I think the difference from the 70's and 80's to the 90's is rivaled only by ELP in terms of how drastically different it is for me.  "Open Your Eyes" is almost an unlistenable record for me, and that's coming from someone who feels Going For The One is his favorite album of all time by any band ever.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1619 on: February 24, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »
This gives me an idea for a ranking game (because DTF): pick your favorite song from each album, then rank them.
Yes, you can count Keystudio as an album.
Yes, you can count the ABWH debut as an album, since it is pretty important in the history of Yes.
Yes, you can conclude B-sides from an album as your pick for that album, but really, when will that happen? (Someone prove me wrong, I dare you lol)

I'll come up with my list later as it has been awhile since I've been in a Yes mood.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1620 on: February 24, 2016, 06:21:56 PM »

1 Homeworld (The Ladder)
10 State Of Play (Talk)

Wow, that is quite an unusual list, but hey, we all like different stuff, right?  Almost Like Love and Love Shine are definitely two, um, interesting choices. ;)

Off the top of my head, I'd probably go with:

Yours Is No Disgrace
Starship Trooper
Roundabout
South Side of the Sky
Close to the Edge
And You and I
Siberian Khatru
The Gates of Delirium
Hearts
Endless Dream

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1621 on: February 24, 2016, 07:25:26 PM »
"Open Your Eyes" is almost an unlistenable record for me, and that's coming from someone who feels Going For The One is his favorite album of all time by any band ever.

Oh, I get you. The same happens to me with DT - Train Of Thought I can't stand, but the self-titled is my favourite of all time.

Now that I think about it, I forgot about "Turn Of The Century"! What did I do? WHAT DID I DO? :blush

This gives me an idea for a ranking game (because DTF): pick your favorite song from each album, then rank them.
Yes, you can count Keystudio as an album.
Yes, you can count the ABWH debut as an album, since it is pretty important in the history of Yes.
Yes, you can conclude B-sides from an album as your pick for that album, but really, when will that happen? (Someone prove me wrong, I dare you lol)

I don't know if I can play (there are some albums I've never listened to), but great idea.
Also, I didn't know they had any b-sides! Thanks for the info.

Wow, that is quite an unusual list, but hey, we all like different stuff, right?  Almost Like Love and Love Shine are definitely two, um, interesting choices. ;)

That happens to me with many other bands, mind you :P For instance, I don't see what the big deal is with The Wall or Disintegration. To me, Meddle and 4:13 Dream are far more interesting, respectively.

I like "And You And I" and "Endless Dream" a lot, though. ;)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1622 on: February 25, 2016, 04:10:56 AM »
Excellent to see Homeworld as someone's number one. It is a tremendous song, massively underrated.  :tup

My list has been hanging around for a while now, here it is:

1. The Revealing science of God
2. And you and I
3. Machine messiah
4. Close to the edge
5. Roundabout
6. The Ancient
7. Sound chaser
8. Homeworld
9. Awaken
10. Real love

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: February 25, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
Top Ten, in quasi-order (the first five or six are essentially tied):

Turn Of The Century
Heart Of The Sunrise
Starship Trooper
Tempus Fugit
Going For The One
And You And I
Into The Storm
South Side of the Sky
Yours Is No Disgrace
America
Love Will Find A Way

Honorable Mention:
Wonderous Stories
Magnification
The Revealing Science of God
The Calling
The Prophet
Release, Release
Lift Me Up
Hearts

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1624 on: February 27, 2016, 03:03:27 PM »
Way too many good ones to even attempt this.

I don't know how you guys do it.

Nothing from Open Your Eyes will be on there. (Don't have that one anymore.)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1625 on: February 28, 2016, 07:14:01 AM »
Open Your Eyes was disappointing on first listen, but over time I've come to like it.  Sure, it's pretty stripped-down and poppish compared to most Yes, but it sounds great, the songs may be simple but they're well-crafted, and there's plenty of good playing.  Steve Howe has been accused of phoning it in on this one, but he's all over it, with his complete arsenal of stringed instruments.  Vocals are tight, bass and drums are tight as always, the only real weakness IMHO is the songwriting.  And the songs aren't horrible or anything; they're just not as adventurous as some would like.  And coming out at the same time as the Keys to Ascension releases invites direct comparison, in which they it does come up short.  But hey, it's more Yes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1626 on: February 28, 2016, 08:04:28 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised with Open Your Eyes when it first came out; I liked most of it a lot, and yeah, Steve Howe is all over the place on it.  Over time, it grew off of me, but I still like a few songs from it a lot.  There are some awkward melodies and transitions, almost like the smoothness of Yes took an album off, but for what it is, it's not a bad record.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1627 on: February 28, 2016, 08:44:49 AM »
The first two songs on it are pretty great.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: February 29, 2016, 06:27:23 AM »
Open Your Eyes was disappointing on first listen,

Yes, it was.

Steve Howe has been accused of phoning it in on this one...

Yes, he did.

And coming out at the same time as the Keys to Ascension releases invites direct comparison, in which they it does come up short. 

Yes, it does.

but for what it is, it's not a bad record.

Yes, it is. 

;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1629 on: February 29, 2016, 07:53:54 PM »
I enjoyed Open Your Eyes and Keys II for what they both were at the same time. It was like getting a double album by Yes, only one was very proggy and the other focused on shorter, catchy songs, yet both recaptured the classic Yes sound to some extent, which was clearly the goal in the wake of Rabin's departure and the return of Steve Howe (and Rick Wakeman, briefly).

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1630 on: March 01, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »
I enjoyed Open Your Eyes and Keys II for what they both were at the same time. It was like getting a double album by Yes, only one was very proggy and the other focused on shorter, catchy songs, yet both recaptured the classic Yes sound to some extent, which was clearly the goal in the wake of Rabin's departure and the return of Steve Howe (and Rick Wakeman, briefly).

Actually a triple album when you think about it! :)
(Not complaining - I love both of them as you do)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1631 on: March 02, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »
I am not sure I would say I love them, but I do like them both. ;)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1632 on: March 06, 2016, 10:02:21 AM »
Open Your Eyes was disappointing on first listen, but over time I've come to like it.  Sure, it's pretty stripped-down and poppish compared to most Yes, but it sounds great, the songs may be simple but they're well-crafted, and there's plenty of good playing.  Steve Howe has been accused of phoning it in on this one, but he's all over it, with his complete arsenal of stringed instruments.  Vocals are tight, bass and drums are tight as always, the only real weakness IMHO is the songwriting.  And the songs aren't horrible or anything; they're just not as adventurous as some would like.  And coming out at the same time as the Keys to Ascension releases invites direct comparison, in which they it does come up short.  But hey, it's more Yes.

You've just described what I didn't like about it. The songwriting. That and I'm much more of a fan of Keys.  I've never really been a fan of Billy Sherwood's  work either.  That's a lot of obstacles for me to overcome with this one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1633 on: March 06, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
When I did the Yes discography, I listened to every album critically, which includes finding both the good and the bad.  Familiarity can bring acceptance, and after listening to Open Your Eyes a few times, I found a fair amount of good.  The songwriting wasn't great, but it didn't send me running from the room screaming or anything, and it was more Yes.  More Steve Howe's finger-lickin' pickin', more great Yes harmonies, etc.  I was fine putting it on and letting it spin.

Sure, the Keys to Ascension releases are superior, but I hate statements that are "I don't like ______ because ______ is better."  By that logic, only the best of anything can be liked, since it's better than the rest.  Keys being better has nothing to do with the worth of Open Your Eyes.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1634 on: March 06, 2016, 08:04:02 PM »
Am I the only one here whose favorite YES album is Talk and whose favorite individual YES song is Endless Dream?  :lol

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #1635 on: March 06, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
Am I the only one here whose favorite YES album is Talk and whose favorite individual YES song is Endless Dream?  :lol

My favourite album is also Talk. Not one song I skip.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1636 on: March 06, 2016, 08:14:07 PM »

Maybe, but if it makes you feel any better, Talk is a top 5 Yes album for me, and Endless Dream is a top 10 Yes song in my book. :tup :tup

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1637 on: March 06, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
I need more time with Talk90125 was the first from that lineup, of course, and I embraced it because it was Yes, different as it was.  When Big Generator took so long to come out, and didn't really seem to break any new ground, I gave up on "new Yes" and never bothered with Talk.  I've spun Talk maybe a dozen times total, and it grows on me more each time, but it's gonna take a while.  I don't seem to absorb music as quickly or easily as I used to.  Those who've given it a chance say it's the best of the three.  I can believe it.  I'm just not there yet.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1638 on: March 06, 2016, 08:50:48 PM »
Talk is a fantastic album.  Easily the best of the Yes-West albums.   Criminally underrated.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1639 on: March 06, 2016, 08:55:53 PM »
The cool thing about Talk is that it might be the one Yes album that sounds predominantly like a ROCK album (although The Yes Album has much more of a rock than prog sound sonically than the other 70s records).  Not a prog album, not a pop rock album, but a ROCK album.  In that regard, it is completely different from 90125 and Big Generator, which both have that kind of 80s pop rock production going on (which works extremely well for those albums). 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1640 on: March 06, 2016, 09:34:57 PM »
I am a 90s kid (meaning my teenage years) so my musical tastes were largely shaped by the late 1980s to mid 1990s sound. It was actually DT that led me to Yes, and I guess that 1990s sound of Talk is really what appealed to me.i loved Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away also.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1641 on: March 07, 2016, 06:26:16 AM »
Can't Look Away is a very good album.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1642 on: March 07, 2016, 06:50:43 AM »
I like all of the Yes West albums, 90125 and Big Generator were my doorway to the older Yes records. And Talk is the best them.

The fact that I really like Rabin's guitar playing may have something to do with it.

Can't Look Away is a great album too and you can hear here that Rabin was a major influence in the sound of Yes West
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1643 on: March 07, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »
I ended up liking all Yes albums from Rabin era. Talk is most likely my favorite (Real love, The Calling, Where will you be and I am waiting are all fantastic), although 90125 and Big generator are very good as well.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1644 on: March 07, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
The fact that I really like Rabin's guitar playing may have something to do with it.

The Lift Me Up guitar solo remains one of my favorites. Still gives me goosebumps.