Author Topic: The Official Yes Thread  (Read 262598 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Official Yes Thread
« Reply #1575 on: December 31, 2014, 01:33:18 PM »
I get the 5.1 Blu-rays of The Yes Album and Relayer for Christmas and yesterday, when everyone else was out of the house, I listened to them, loudly.

For those of you who are not familiar, Steven Wilson is remixing and reengineering the classic 70's Yes albums, and making 5.1 mixes of each while he's at it.  These are being released on Blu-ray, which supports lossless 5.1 sound, and also on DVD.  DVD of course supports 5.1 but not lossless.  True there is DVD-A (and also BD-A for that matter) but I believe the idea here is to make these as accessible as possible, so they're avoiding those "niche" formats and just going with regular discs that everyone can play on their equipment.

Anyway, these are both amazing.  The Yes Album was somewhat more immersive than Relayer, although both were great.  Everything was crystal clear, and between that and the incredible separation, I was absolutely blown away.  I just sat there, riveted to the couch, until The Yes Album was over.

Imagine this:  Your family didn't have much money when you were growing up, so your only exposure to music was an old clock radio that used to be your grandmother's, and maybe catching some videos on the old TV in the living room.  It's not HD or even LCD; it's an ancient tube with knobs and a little speaker on the front for the sound to come out.  You have only ever experienced music in mono, your entire life.

Then one day, you go over to a friend's house, and he has a stereo.  Your mind is blown.  The same music you've listened to all of your life, now much clearer and cleaner, and best of all, spread out across the room!  Holy shit, the vocals are both in the middle and seeming to come from both sides, there's a guitar on each side, the keyboards are over there, the bass is down there, the drums and cymbals are all around me!

Now...  imagine listening to music you're heard all of your life in stereo, but now in surround.  It's the same thing, to the next degree.  The instruments are not placed at various points along a single X-axis, but spaced around the room into all quadrants.  Not just in the four corners as with your cheesy 70's quadrophonic mixes, but truly spread around in two dimensions.  The vocals are mostly centered, but the lead voice is in the middle and the backgrounds spread around him.  The instruments (and remember that Yes has layers and layers of them) are everywhere, not just in the corners, but blended and spaced everywhere.  Along the walls, across the middle of the room, in front of you and behind you.  Completely immersive.

The sound was everywhere, but it was very natural, and perfect.  There was exactly one time when the surround felt gimmicky, and it was on purpose and exactly where you'd think it would be.  You know that one spot during "Yours is No Disgrace" where Steve takes a guitar break and it bounces back and forth between the left and right channels?  Yeah, you know the place.  It now bounces around the four corners of the room, and it's great.  Semi-random, no discernible pattern, and brilliant.

The entire album is brilliantly done.  It is perfect.  This is what Blu-ray was meant for.

Relayer was not quite as immersive but still excellent.  This time, the music stayed more toward the front of the room, but not entirely.  Instruments did wander forward into the middle of the room, and there was effective use of the surrounds.  The "battle scene" during "The Gates of Delirium" was astounding.  Steven has made an editing choice to not include the sound effects during the battle, and I completely agree with this decision.  I've never liked them anyway, and did not miss them at all.  I'd always rather hear the music speak for itself, and it did that very, very well.  So layered, so heavy, yet so clear and separated.  "Sound Chaser" had me leaning forward for the first half of the song, and I didn't even realize I was doing it.  I must have been trying to get "into" the sound even more, and as you know, the song goes its entire nine and a half minutes without once resolving into a standard backbeat, so being on the edge of your seat, literally in this case, is normal.

I cannot say enough about these new releases.  I picked up Close to the Edge last year, and it was similarly mind-blowing.  The Yes Album and Relayer, while both also excellent albums, are a bit further down my list (I lean more towards Going for the One, Fragile, and Tales from Topographic Oceans) but this may have changed a bit.  I didn't buy all my Yes albums at once, and these two were later, so I just never really absorbed them the way I did my earlier acquisitions.  But I now have a much greater appreciation for them.

I can't wait to hear what he does with Tales from Topographic Oceans and Going for the One.

This is exactly why I have an HD sound system.  Yeah, movies are cool, especially when things go boom or there's a great soundtrack.  But just sitting and listening to Yes, letting it flow around you and through you... it just doesn't get any better than this.

If you have the means, get these immediately.  He's done the three so far, and plans to do all the "classic" 70's albums, but has not clarified exactly which ones that will include.  It doesn't matter.  It's Yes, remastered, reengineered, lossless, surround.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1576 on: December 31, 2014, 03:23:31 PM »
Sounds awesome.  I've only heard the Close to the Edge 5.1, and it was utterly fantastic.  I'll have to bug that friend of mine who is the guinea pig for these things, since he has the killer surround sound system, to get these others so I can hear them. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1577 on: December 31, 2014, 03:29:06 PM »
I have both and like you Bob, I can't rave enough.  Everything Steven Wilson touches is gold.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1578 on: December 31, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
I read up on these a little bit on the Yesfans boards, and apparently Steven is contracted to do Time and a Word through Relayer.  Obviously, he's not going in chronological order.  Also, he's been quoted as saying that he'd like to do Going for the One, so that's interesting, and encouraging.  I'm pretty sure "Awaken" is going to blow my mind if he does.  My family will come home and find me catatonic on the floor.

Tales from Topographic Oceans is going to kick ass, and I'm curious to see what he can do with Time and a Word.  Supposedly, the original masters without the orchestra still exist, so it would be cool to hear a "naked" version.  These packages are chock full of extras, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1579 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »
bump.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/05/19/chris-squire-yes-leukemia/27571503/

Chris Squire has been diagnosed with Leukemia.

Billy Sherwood will be filling in for him on Yes's summer tour dates with Toto.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1580 on: May 19, 2015, 11:03:45 AM »
Damn.  I hope he can get the treatment he needs and knock it out.  Anything that starts with the word "acute" doesn't sound good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1581 on: May 19, 2015, 11:38:42 AM »
That's too bad.  I hope his treatment works.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #1582 on: May 19, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
Hope he gets better. Really become a bigger fan as of recent

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1583 on: May 19, 2015, 12:14:09 PM »
Dang, that's some sad news. Hope he gets better.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1584 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29:20 PM »
Read about that this morning and was shocked. The only Yesman to have been in every incarnation of Yes... I really hope that Chris gets better.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1585 on: May 19, 2015, 03:48:17 PM »
Sad news. Hoping for the best.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1586 on: July 28, 2015, 03:20:11 AM »
Orbert, you should seriously write a biography on Yes. I would read it.

Dear Mr. Orbert,

have you written that biography yet?

If not, can anyone recommend me a Yes biography? My internet search put out Close To The Edge by Chris Welch, does anyone know it? And is it a good read?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1587 on: July 28, 2015, 04:02:38 AM »
It's been a few years since I read it but I remember Close To The Edge being a good one, yeah.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1588 on: July 28, 2015, 09:34:22 AM »
Oh you guys.

No, I haven't written the biography yet.  It keeps changing, as the band is still going after 45 years.  So it's like a neverending project.  But that's just an excuse; I have no time for such an endeavor.  It would be at least 95% copied from the Yes Discography thread anyway.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1589 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:47 PM »
Nobody needs to know ;)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1590 on: July 31, 2015, 04:09:17 PM »
It's been a few years since I read it but I remember Close To The Edge being a good one, yeah.

I enjoyed reading that book. Learned quite a bit.

« Reply #1591 on: October 24, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »
Just gonna revive this thread to say I love Yes now - despite Heaven and Earth being the first Yes album I ever properly listened to and hating it, I was convinced to listen to Close to Edge, and now I'm a huge Yes fan.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1592 on: October 24, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »
Very Cool!  :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1593 on: October 24, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »
Yeah, Heaven And Earth might very well be the worst starting point possible.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1594 on: October 24, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »
Yeah, Heaven And Earth might very well be the worst starting point possible.  :lol

Well, at least it's all up and up from there, right? :rollin

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1595 on: October 24, 2015, 08:56:36 PM »
Definitely.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1596 on: October 24, 2015, 10:59:03 PM »
I still haven't been able to listen to H&E all the way through. Only Yes album where this is the case for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #1597 on: October 25, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
I still haven't been able to listen to H&E all the way through. Only Yes album where this is the case for me.
I did. Don't bother.  :-\ I'm sorry, but it's simply not worth it.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1598 on: October 25, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »
I figured as much. It's too bad. They had gotten a bit inconsistent since the 80s, but (at least on their studio albums) they never sounded like a tired old rock band...until Heaven and Earth.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #1599 on: October 25, 2015, 11:19:45 AM »
I figured as much. It's too bad. They had gotten a bit inconsistent since the 80s, but (at least on their studio albums) they never sounded like a tired old rock band...until Heaven and Earth.
Yup. It seemed like the "spark" that Yes had has all but disappeared now. I think the death of Chris may well spell the end for Yes as a truly amazing band, sadly. Maybe if we got John Anderson back we might see some revival, but I doubt that will ever happen. It's sad, really.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1600 on: October 26, 2015, 07:50:43 AM »
Jon isn't enough; he's the seasoning, but he is too flighty to man the controls and have it be anything reliable.  Chris was the glue that held it all together.  They may tour, they may release archive stuff, they may even release new studio stuff, but for the most part, my vote is that the creative force that was Yes is over.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1601 on: November 20, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »
So this arrived yesterday:

I'm gonna play it now.  Will report later.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Fragile Yes on Blu-ray
« Reply #1602 on: November 20, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
Amazing.  Eleven out of ten, again.

First, the packaging.

It's pretty obvious that the idea is to recreate the original LP packaging as closely as possible.  It's perfect, as far as I can tell.

That's my daughter's compass, left on the table for something.  I kinda like how it provides a sense of scale, so I left it.  We could otherwise be looking at pictures of the original vinyl LP packaging on a big table, and it would look the same.

The picture booklet that came with the original LP is reproduced here.  Very, very nice.

This came out blurrier than I'd hoped, but whatever.  You get the idea.  The real thing is very crisp.  It looks exactly like the LP jacket, only smaller.

The print on the disc itself appears to be new artwork.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the artwork on these editions are new, and some is other stuff from the same era as the original album.

That reminds me.  As the Blu-ray loads, we get a series of what appear to be Roger Dean's original sketches as he came up with the amazing and unique Fragile Yes logo.  It goes through several drafts, and ends with the familiar version we've all seen.  Very cool.

I could give track by track ratings, but they'd all be the same: perfect.  Instead, some highlights and observations.

Roundabout starts with that glorious acoustic guitar, and it sounds crisp and clear and fills the room.  Instrumentally, the first verse is sparse by Yes standards, and the soundstage reflects that, staying mostly in the fronts.  But as the song progresses and more instruments come in, we eventually fill the room and it's fully immersive from that point forward.

Can and Brahms, which many -- not including myself -- dismiss as "filler" (I know, quotes, but in this case they're appropriate because there are no filler tracks on Yes albums) gets the multidimensional treatment.  The original suffered from a cluttered mix; I've always thought it sounded like it was recorded on a four-track or something, and a kinda crappy one at that.  It's open and alive here.  You can hear each keyboard clearly, and you get a better appreciation for the arrangement itself.  There's a lot of stuff going on here.

We Have Heaven, like every song on this album, sounds the best it ever has.  Layers and layers, all clear and even with plenty of space.  I have no idea how Steven does this, but it's mind-blowing.

I couldn't sit still during South Side of the Sky.  It was in my face, knocking me around the room.

I know I'm not alone in finding Five Per Cent for Nothing somewhat less than enthralling, but I have to admit that it really pops here.  It benefits a lot from having room to breathe and have each part heard clearly, as with Cans and Brahms.  I've always liked how the solo tracks on this album get as much care and respect as the full group tracks, and of course it's no different here.  It just plain sounds amazing.

Long Distance Runaround is another one that just jumps out at you.  So clear, every instrument, including a few you might not have heard before.  In the early days of CD, when I was slowly replacing a lot of my favorite vinyl, I still had time to put on a CD once in a while and play it over headphones, listening for things I'd never heard on the vinyl.  Here it's the same thing.  There are things buried in the two-channel mix simply because of the limitations at the time.  Steven has spread everything around the room, so you can hear every part clearly.  I know I keep saying that, but it's true, and is the biggest impression I get from this release.  Crisp, clear, lossless.

The Fish is no exception.  It seems like dozens of Chris Squires are all over the place, filling the room with all the different bass parts.

I saw some reviews that didn't really like how Mood for a Day is so in-your-face.  I guess it's down to personal preference.  Would you rather sit and listen to Steve Howe as he plays a guitar solo, or would you prefer him standing with the guitar four inches from your face as he plays it and it's so close that your left and right ears actually get a different "mix" from the different ends of the guitar?  Well?  Give me Steve Howe in the face, every time.  And you get it here.

Heart of the Sunrise.  There are no words.  No, seriously, there aren't.

Buy this CD/Blu-ray combo now.  Just go get it, now.  If you don't have Blu-ray, you've got DVD, right?  Get the CD/DVD version.  Fragile Yes in 5.1 Surround.  There's just no excuse for anyone to not have this, period.  My life has been altered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1603 on: November 20, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
Well, hey, that's a pretty good review.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1604 on: November 20, 2015, 02:01:26 PM »
And if you don't have 5.1?  :big grin:

They do come with 2.0 mixes right? They're still pretty expensive though, 25 euros (26,60 dollars) even the older ones. Fragile is over 35 dollars.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1605 on: November 20, 2015, 11:19:58 PM »
The CDs are the remixed, remastered versions in stereo.  So 2.0, suitable for anywhere.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: November 21, 2015, 02:13:52 AM »
The CDs are the remixed, remastered versions in stereo.  So 2.0, suitable for anywhere.

Yeah, but I'd like a hi def blu ray 2.0, for that kind of money  :smiley:
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

« Reply #1607 on: November 21, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
Looks really cool. I recently picked up an original pressing of Fragile. The one my Dad bought on release went missing. I'm thinking of going to see them on the 2016 Europe tour. Anyone been to any concerts this or last year? The videos seem to show Jon D. as being a good substitute for Jon A. live.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1608 on: November 21, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »

Yeah, but I'd like a hi def blu ray 2.0, for that kind of money  :smiley:

The blu-ray (Region 0, NTSC) features:

- 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio Surround (24bit/96khz) mixed from the original multi-channel recordings.
- the new stereo album mix in DTS-HD Master Audio (24bit/96khz).
- the original album mix in a DTS-HD Master Audio flat transfers from the original master tape source. (24bit/192khz)
- exclusive needle-drop of an original UK vinyl A1/B1 pressing transferred in 24bit/96khz audio.
- exclusive instrumental versions of all new mixes in DTS-HD Master Audio stereo (24bit/96khz).
- the six cd bonus tracks, plus two additional alternate takes
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: November 21, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Ah, that's more like it. Thanks for the info!