Author Topic: What'd you get your SO for Valentine's Day?  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
What'd you get your SO for Valentine's Day?
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:17:30 AM »

- 7qt crock pot with locking lid (she loves using the one she has, but it's only 4qt and the dish washer melted its lid)
- A book with 1400 crock pot recipes
- A custom coffee mug covered in some of her favorite statues and paintings (I took notes on my cellphone when we went to the Met)
- Dr. Who Lego characters for her desk at work
- Jazz Brunch and Tickets to an art gallery on Valentines Day

I got this thing too

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: What'd you get your SO for Valentine's Day?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »
We don't by much anymore.  I do have $35 worth of wildflowers stent to her work and a card of course but we just go out to eat.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »
Yeah, we don't buy each other stuff anymore either. We cook together, wearing nothing but aprons, to make our traditional Valentines Day Beef Wellington and chocolate souffle.

But just in case, I picked up some Gucci bamboo perfume, and ordered flowers.

Oh, and I bought her a Mercedes E350 cabriolet.  Just in case :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:19 AM »
Podaar, That's a joke?  :huh: Or... it's not a joke?  :huh:

My girlfriend's birthday is only a couple days after Valentine's Day, so I don't typically give her any gifts for the latter since she's about to get a lot more anyways. We'll go out for a nice meal though.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 08:47:49 AM »
Well, I did buy the car, but it's purely coincidence on the timing.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 08:53:16 AM »
We don't by much anymore.  I do have $35 worth of wildflowers stent to her work and a card of course but we just go out to eat.

So you eat out on Valentine's Day? Lucky lady. :zydar:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 08:58:25 AM »

So you eat out on Valentine's Day? Lucky lady. :zydar:

Like teenagers.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:10:45 AM »
Not a lot. I traditionally get my wife a dozen chocolate covered strawberries from a local chocolate factory and some flowers only because I have to now. I am one of those people who think this is the most retarded....forced holidays on the face of the planet and I absolutely detest spending any $$ on it. It's forcing someone to be nice to someone else and spend $$ for a  :censored made up holiday.

I send my wife flowers four or five times a year to her at work....randomly....so she knows I love her and am thinking about her. That is 'sweet' or 'loving'.....any act associated with Valentines day is out of obligation IMO and is therefore rendered 'fake' in my eyes.

I cannot express enough how much I F'n detest this Holiday.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »
Gary, I'm a sucker for romance, so any excuse is awesome to me. But, I totally get where you're point. The radio/television commercials drive me crazy with their guilt trips.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 09:38:01 AM »
Gary, I'm a sucker for romance, so any excuse is awesome to me. But, I totally get where you're point. The radio/television commercials drive me crazy with their guilt trips.

I like romance and treating my wife well also. But my distaste for the holiday is largely fueled by the reportage from women across the board who 'post' or 'brag' about the things they've been given for Valentines Day.....when, in large part....THE ONLY reason they've received such gifts is strictly because of the Holiday....not due to their significant other actually giving a  :censored about them. Because if they did....their women would get the flowers and breakfasts in bed throughout the year on multiple occasions. I can't explain why this Holiday bugs me so much but it really does.....

Sorry Brian to hijack you V-Day thread by throwing a bucket of pi$$ into it.....  :(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Hey, it's great to be loved, but it's divine to be envied!  :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »

I like romance and treating my wife well also. But my distaste for the holiday is largely fueled by the reportage from women across the board who 'post' or 'brag' about the things they've been given for Valentines Day.....when, in large part....THE ONLY reason they've received such gifts is strictly because of the Holiday....not due to their significant other actually giving a  :censored about them. Because if they did....their women would get the flowers and breakfasts in bed throughout the year on multiple occasions. I can't explain why this Holiday bugs me so much but it really does.....

Sorry Brian to hijack you V-Day thread by throwing a bucket of pi$$ into it.....  :(

No worries Gary. I threw plenty of piss buckets in the most recent Christmas threads  :lol Outside of secret santa gift exchanges, I can't stand the commercialization of the holiday (all holidays for that matter).

I'm also not a fan of this day.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 09:57:03 AM »

No worries Gary. I threw plenty of piss buckets in the most recent Christmas threads  :lol Outside of secret santa gift exchanges, I can't stand the commercialization of the holiday (all holidays for that matter).

I'm actually surprised you went all out for Vday.  I don't have a valentine this year so I am happy to not feel forced to celebrate (now we are opposites).  If I had at least felt like my efforts in the past were appreciated then maybe this holiday wouldn't feel like such a drag.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 10:03:03 AM »
VD :zydar:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:28 AM »

You know...I'm not above admitting that I may have just allowed 'life' to wear me down and have let cynicism whittle away at my once robust desire to flood my wife with all sorts of goodies and admiration on V-Day. When we were dating and in the early years of marriage I went all out like I see many dudes doing.... It's completely possible that I'm just an a$$hole now  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Self-awareness is sexy.  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:30:04 AM »

I'm actually surprised you went all out for Vday.  I don't have a valentine this year so I am happy to not feel forced to celebrate (now we are opposites).  If I had at least felt like my efforts in the past were appreciated then maybe this holiday wouldn't feel like such a drag.

That's because my girlfriend is probably one of the best gift givers I've ever met. She usually makes me stuff and gets things related to my hobbies that I don't like spending my own money on. She does a really good job and puts significantly more thought and effort in than I do. I have to get her something.

I forgot I made this thread two years ago. This is me going all out.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40358.msg1741810#msg1741810

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:04 AM »
Brian, I hope you put in a request for Victoria Secret cones!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
A single rose

Simple, yet effective. She always seems to like it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:12 AM »
Not a lot. I traditionally get my wife a dozen chocolate covered strawberries from a local chocolate factory and some flowers only because I have to now. I am one of those people who think this is the most retarded....forced holidays on the face of the planet and I absolutely detest spending any $$ on it. It's forcing someone to be nice to someone else and spend $$ for a  :censored made up holiday.

I send my wife flowers four or five times a year to her at work....randomly....so she knows I love her and am thinking about her. That is 'sweet' or 'loving'.....any act associated with Valentines day is out of obligation IMO and is therefore rendered 'fake' in my eyes.

I cannot express enough how much I F'n detest this Holiday.

This is my take as well. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't feel that way.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
But you do what makes your spouse happy and that's what the day is about.  If they want flowers, candy and romance then you do it.  It they want to have a meal and snuggle, that works.  Whatever makes them the most important person in your eyes that day.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:58:30 AM »
I also detest this holiday, but as king said, you go through the motions because you give a shit about your SO.  We don't really go all out, because we know how ridiculous it is.  I'm taking her to dinner with a gift card I got for my birthday, which she's fine with.  She'd be far more likely to say no to dinner if I actually had to pay for it.  We both know that florists JACK the prices on flowers this time of year, so those are off the table.  I got her some pjs from Pajamagram.  I have no idea if she'll like them, but it was a thought.  Crossing my fingers.

With that, I have specifically made it very clear that Mrs. C. is NOT to ever get me anything for V-Day, so that when March 20th rolls around, I'll have a much greater feeling of having earned it.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Ah.  March 20th.  Your Christmas morning. :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:43 AM »
Victoria made me these last year.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 11:02:02 AM »
Ah.  March 20th.  Your Christmas morning. :lol

Hell.

Yes.

Also, for the record, despite whatever the internet and anyone else says, it is NOT March 14th.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »
Also, for the record, despite whatever the internet and anyone else says, it is NOT March 14th.

The internet will tell you it can be either.

I'm with Gary on this - hate this holiday.  It's a young/happy person's holiday, and I'm a grumpy old fuck.

Yes, I'm cynical as shit. 

:getoffmylawn:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »
Chino, that is great.  It's things like that, that would make me feel GOOD about doing something on valentines day instead of feeling forced.  The way it's supposed to be.  Good stuff, slightly jealous honestly.  Back to lonely hearts I go lol

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
Thought we have to be cautious financially, I take her to watch deadpool and then eat japanese downtown XD
And she's happy !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
Chino, that is great.  It's things like that, that would make me feel GOOD about doing something on valentines day instead of feeling forced.  The way it's supposed to be.  Good stuff, slightly jealous honestly.  Back to lonely hearts I go lol

That's how both of us view Valentines Day. We get each other a little something, but big items are usually something we can both use. We tend to buy stuff we'll enjoy together rather than something that's exclusive to the other person. There are exceptions, but that's what we try to stick to for the most part. Last year she got me a kitchen aid blender. She uses it just as much as I do. Last year I got her a digital picture frame loaded with 200 photos of our pets. It's sitting on our bar. When it comes to homemade items, all rules go out the window.

Offline Cable

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »

- 7qt crock pot with locking lid (she loves using the one she has, but it's only 4qt and the dish washer melted its lid)
- A book with 1400 crock pot recipes
- A custom coffee mug covered in some of her favorite statues and paintings (I took notes on my cellphone when we went to the Met)
- Dr. Who Lego characters for her desk at work
- Jazz Brunch and Tickets to an art gallery on Valentines Day

I got this thing too

Nice! You are doing/did a significant amount here.

I never do much personally with eventual ex-wife and previous exs. I generally do random day gifts over a prompted day, outside of b-days and Xmas. Next girl I will see, but will generally hope to continue this. Getting flowers randomly at work or something is better to me than on a specific day. Cheaper too.  ;D
---

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:35 PM »
Lol Valentines Day
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 10:11:36 PM »
[joke about masturbation]

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 11:20:33 PM »
my significant other is an XL pizza
i bought her earlier today

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2016, 06:32:03 AM »
So it's my girl and I's first V-day, but we just celebrated one year together on the tenth, and she says she doesn't really want to celebrate V-day cause that's also the day her dad passed away, so I'll probable just leave candy and a balloon in her car. (she's got an ass ton of flowers right now, I get them for her all the time. My philosophy is never let her have dying flowers around the house :) )

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »
A card in which I'll write something lovey-dovey. We may go out to dinner.