Author Topic: Some (current) music from Argentina  (Read 1963 times)

SebastianPratesi

Some (current) music from Argentina
« on: February 10, 2016, 10:47:04 PM »
So, since joining the forum I've wanted to share some links to music from my country. All links are to official channels/sites, save for one. If you liked something, or want to know about other artists, or whatever, I'm all ears  :)

Eruca Sativa
A power-trio from Córdoba. The guitarist/singer and bassist are both girls, and both had babys last year, so for a while it seemed like the band would be taking hiatus; yet, they started touring again, and are working on their 4th album. They were formed in 2007, so they are pretty much a 'young' band. Nonetheless, over the last 3 years their fan base has been growing. They opened for the Foo Fighters one year ago, so I'd say they are pretty big here. They have mentioned they like Dream Theater, and some songs have prog elements, so maybe you'll like them as well.
  • "Nada Salvaje": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kkn6YYlX2I
    Their latest single. This is a live version recorded last October, I believe. To some people, it reminds of Muse. On the second verse, there's a "WTF" moment (at around 2:09). To me, at least.
  • "Mi Apuesta": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqceF4UkGM4
    A song from their 2nd album, although this is an acoustic version from a show they did in 2014. What they did then was play their songs but experimenting with different styles and instrumentation. So, there are versions with orchestra, sax, electronic drums, fretless bass, etc. It was released as a live CD+DVD called Huellas Digitales, which I think is pretty good.

Barro
A folklore duo from Santa Fe. The name means 'mud'. The singer is a beautiful girl called Cintia, and then there is Franco, who writes all the music and a lot of lyrics. Eventhough they are a duo, they are augmented live by a guy on drums/synths. I saw them play last September, on a warm Friday evening, and I fell in love with their music right there. The weather might have been a factor, too. They only have one album, called Meteorológico, released in 2014. All its songs are on their official YouTube channel, so I'll leave the two I like most, but pretty much all of them are excellent. There are some Pink Floyd/Yes vibes in there, as well as some italian influences.
  • "El Olvido": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQN4XmREFI
    This one goes through different moods: it starts sweet, but it quickly turns more melancholic, and there is a dark section. Two or three sections remind me of other songs from the album, so I think it works as a 'sampler'.
  • "Remanso": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_2DBie7ho
    This one is more of a melancholic jazz number. There is a drum solo, and a really cool part in an odd time signature; I remember I kept counting in my head to try and figure it out, while the band kept playing it. :P

Les Luthiers
A group of musicians/actors from Buenos Aires. They've been touring South America and Spain non-stop since 1967 -literally- so the group has a long and rich story. I guess it's hard to tell it in 4 lines, but I'll try: they have played a lot of genres (african music, classical, cumbia, folk, jazz, heavy metal, etc.); their shows consist entirely of humorous sketches and music; they have released 15 live DVDs (and 6 studio albums); each musician is exceptional; they create storys for each sketch/song, usually involving a fictional character called Johann Sebastian Mastropiero (a drunker, creepier version of classical composers); they use a bunch of weird instruments made out of all kinds of materials or objects, made exclusively to them by a couple of luthiers (hence the name). The videos below feature subtitles in english, and are taken from fans' channels. There are a ton other videos with subtitles, though.
  • "Visita A La Universidad De Wildstone": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyRAC_NvEY
    This sketch is from their first live DVD - a show recorded in 1979. Here you can see/hear some of the weird instruments employed by the band. The group re-enact a fictional documentary about Wildstone University.
  • "Paz En La Campiña": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMQkudLwBwM
    This is from a 2009 show/DVD called Lutherapia, in which a patient talks to his shrink about his many misfortunes. If I'm not mistaken, this is the only recorded performance of an electric guitar by the group. Daniel (the singer in this song) died last year, making every fan sad, since he was the funniest member by far.

Ezequiel Canosa
A musician/producer from Puerto Madryn (the city where I live). He has released a huge ammount of music, both as a solo artist, with a few bands, and as soundtracks to short films. He works as a producer/engineer in the studio in which most bands and singers record. I guess he is some sort of 'big brother'/'cool uncle' among musicians here. I frequently run into him at a record store - he is a cool person to talk about music to.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:08:48 PM by SebastianPratesi »

SebastianPratesi

Re: Some (current) music from Argentina
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Just wanted to add a little something about Soda Stereo/Gustavo Cerati, which I don't listen to nowadays, but for a long time I was a fan of.

Soda Stereo
A pop/rock trio from Buenos Aires. They were active between 1983 and 1997, and had a reunion tour in 2007. Without a question the most popular rock band in South America - they were seen as some sort of Beatles in every country they visited, influencing the rise of different music scenes. Throughout their career, they mutated quite a lot: they started playing ska/pop (influenced by The Police), but on their 2nd/3rd albums you hear a big The Cure/Tears For Fears influence (they used to dress like them as well). Their 4th album was produced in New York by Carlos Alomar (one of Bowie's collaborators), so it features sax solos, some hip hop, and a bit of funk. In the early 90s they played a much back-to-basics style, with the guitar being more prominent. Then, influenced by grunge and electronic music, they recorded Dynamo in 1992. Their follow up was much more acoustic/mellow, and it would prove to be their very last. They also put some jazz, tango and folklore elements in some songs. There is currently a musical by the Cirque Du Soleil on the works, based on their music, expected to premiere in 2017.
It's hard for me to pick just 2 songs (like I did with the other bands), so I'll do 3. They are all taken from their official YouTube channel, and there's quite a lot of great stuff there (including documentarys).
  • "Corazón Delator": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfzORBnuUak
    This is an amazing song from 1988. It has this dark, Disintegration vibe, and the guitar work is so detailed, delicate, but the chorus gets so much heavier. This live version was recorded at their last concert ever, at River Plate Stadium at the end of 2007. The lyrics are inspired by "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Poe, I think.
  • "(En) El Séptimo Día": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPTNtCzrpk
    One of their most straightforward rock songs. This is a live recording from 1997. The song is an oddity in that it's in 7/4 all throughout, yet is one of their most known hits (something uncommon among pop bands here).
  • "Un Misil En Mi Placard": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4WfOLmrFxA
    A song from their first album. The original was ska-ish, but the band re-worked it for their MTV Unplugged, adding strings and acoustic guitar. This is that version.

Gustavo Cerati
Gustavo was the frontman and brain behind Soda Stereo; he wrote most music/lyrics, oversaw the artwork for the albums, and took the important financial decisions. It was his band, basically. As a guitarist he was exceptional in every aspect - solos, arpeggios, rhythmic stuff. In fact, he was left-handed but played as right-handed, so that must explain why he was such a great rhythmic guitar player. As a solo artist, he first focused on electronic music, always adding the pop sensibilities he was so good at. His last albums, though, see him returning to a more guitar-focused style. In 2010, right after finishing a show in Venezuela, he suffered a cerebral stroke which put him in a coma for 4 years. He died in September of 2014. He is survived by his daughter and son (the latter being a musician himself). To some, he was some sort of argentinean Bowie.

Offline MS394

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »
Awesome, will check these artists later.
From an outsider to Argentinian culture, they always have had a very interesting music scene IMO.

Been listening lately to a lot of "Seru Giran", what a powerful all-star quartet.
Pedro Aznar must be one of my favorite bassist/vocalists of all time; his solo work and his time with Pat Metheny is also wonderful  :biggrin:.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:00:02 PM »
From an outsider to Argentinian culture, they always have had a very interesting music scene IMO.

Been listening lately to a lot of "Seru Giran", what a powerful all-star quartet.
Pedro Aznar must be one of my favorite bassist/vocalists of all time; his solo work and his time with Pat Metheny is also wonderful  :biggrin:.

I need to explore them a little more. To me they were the local Queen, and I like Queen, so I should listen to their music a little more.
Pedro and Charly from that band were huge influences on Gustavo Cerati (Gustavo even collaborated with them on different occasions. He and Pedro recorded a song with Roger Waters, Shakira and other people in 2008; this is the only excerpt that's been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNyfq7hpBw).

I suppose you already know about/have heard Spinetta?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:40:17 PM »
Some other stuff I just remembered:

Silvina Moreno
She is this cute pop singer I got into last year, when her 2nd album was released. A lot of stuff I don't care about, but there's this song called "Ojos" which I think is really beautiful. This is a version she recorded in the middle of the street in London. I didn't think she was that great as a guitar player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVopNutPCjw

Científicos Del Palo
A power-trio from Buenos Aires. Their main influences are Led Zeppelin and Red Hot Chili Peppers. In 2013 they released La Histeria Argentina, a concept album telling the story of the country (from its foundation in the early 19th century to the modern day). This is "La Patria Liberal", one of the coolest songs on the album, being performed live in a studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLA8EQNLIpU
The whole thing is amazing if you like The Wall or The Astonishing, so I'll leave the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tur6l95J3ug

Offline MS394

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 01:35:18 AM »

I need to explore them a little more. To me they were the local Queen, and I like Queen, so I should listen to their music a little more.
Pedro and Charly from that band were huge influences on Gustavo Cerati (Gustavo even collaborated with them on different occasions. He and Pedro recorded a song with Roger Waters, Shakira and other people in 2008; this is the only excerpt that's been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhNyfq7hpBw).

I suppose you already know about/have heard Spinetta?

Their first three albums are all stellar; "Seru Giran" is the more "symphonic", with a lot of orchestral arrangements, "La Grasa de las Capitales" (my personal favorite) is more straight/rocker, but with great compositions, and "Bicicleta" has a more elegant/relaxed/jazzy/proggy side.

And yeah, just started in Spinetta´s work (a very prolific artist  :o); so far I´ve only heard "Artaud", very interesting compositions and lyrics  ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 07:07:56 AM »
Considering we're on a prog forum, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Crucis, La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros, Bubu, or Invisible :P

Another interesting national acts are Autumn Moonlight (progressive post-rock) and Volvox (jazz fusion and prog).

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »
Their first three albums are all stellar; "Seru Giran" is the more "symphonic", with a lot of orchestral arrangements, "La Grasa de las Capitales" (my personal favorite) is more straight/rocker, but with great compositions, and "Bicicleta" has a more elegant/relaxed/jazzy/proggy side.

And yeah, just started in Spinetta´s work (a very prolific artist  :o); so far I´ve only heard "Artaud", very interesting compositions and lyrics  ;D

Thanks, I'll take this into account!
I'm no expert on Spinetta, but maybe you'll like 1976's El Jardín De Los Presentes, the final album he recorded with Invisible (one of his many bands).

Considering we're on a prog forum, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned Crucis, La Máquina de Hacer Pájaros, Bubu, or Invisible :P

Another interesting national acts are Autumn Moonlight (progressive post-rock) and Volvox (jazz fusion and prog).

¡Hola! Para serte sincero, no soy gran conocedor del rock progresivo nacional, así que preferí no recomendar nada (sé que Presto Vivace tiene covers de Dream Theater, pero no he escuchado sus canciones). De todos modos, gracias por las recomendaciones - a la mayoría de esas bandas no las conozco, así que tengo para entretenerme :)

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 06:27:43 PM »
Lautaro Ríos
He is a young guy from my city, who used to be in a pop/rock band a few years ago; this last March he released a great debut solo album called Umbela. His music is all over the place - there is prog rock, pop, Argentinean folk, jazz, funk, etc.
Here is his Bandcamp page: lautarorios.bandcamp.com. So far, only the title track has been uploaded. This one opens the album, and is a short pop song. However, I talked to Ezequiel (the album's producer), and apparently the whole thing will be uploaded in a short time.
Anyways, hope you enjoy it.