Author Topic: James deserves more credit.  (Read 7428 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: James deserves more credit.
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2016, 07:30:46 AM »
Does he tire out quickly on tour? I was under the impression that he gets better as the tour progresses.

He definitely improves at the start of the tour as he gets more practiced. Sometimes by the end of a tour it can take its toll, but he's fairly consistent these days.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2016, 09:25:58 AM »
As a studio singer? Yes, he's great.

As a live performer/frontman? hmm... I've had better.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
As a studio singer? Yes, he's great.

As a live performer/frontman? hmm... I've had better.

Oh Jesus, I thought that was coming from Nicki Spansomeletters for a moment  :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 01:13:08 PM »
Bowie and Lennon had very limited technique, so they developed their style to work around these problems, which made them sound good in the end.

I always thought Bowie had very limited technique, until I heard "Nature Boy" (from the Moulin Rouge Soundtrack).  Impressive range that I hadn't ever heard from him elsewhere.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2016, 02:06:49 AM »
Not even on Wild is the wind? or word on a wing?
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline genome

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2016, 05:27:33 AM »
I give him great credit. I mean, not only does he front the biggest progressive metal on Earth, but he even finds the time to run a B&B back in Canada.

He's had problems with scaring the guests, though. I understand when they check in, he stares at them and shouts "HEED MY WORDS, BREAKFAST WILL BE SERVED"

Offline Enalya

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2016, 03:14:30 AM »
I give him great credit. I mean, not only does he front the biggest progressive metal on Earth, but he even finds the time to run a B&B back in Canada.

He's had problems with scaring the guests, though. I understand when they check in, he stares at them and shouts "HEED MY WORDS, BREAKFAST WILL BE SERVED"

LOL seriously?  :rollin
If so, I'd love to visit.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2016, 03:58:35 AM »
'So, how about some fried eggs and Franks, eh?' Especially Special!!  :rollin
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline robin5749

« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2016, 11:43:04 AM »
he is simply amazing on the astonishing my 11 year old likes him that's not easy but with songs like chosen, and off his great solo effort back on the ground, our car journeys are more varied at least I get the kids into it

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2016, 06:25:08 AM »

That's a place where you quietly lay and wait for sleep, and the alarm goes off at 6'o'clock!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2016, 10:27:30 AM »
What the hell? How did this happen?  :rollin

Offline PetFish

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2016, 10:12:44 PM »
I wouldn't say James deserves more credit but he definitely deserves less blame.

The guy hits one wrong note and gets jumped on for it.  People who slag him for mistakes seem to forget that the human voice is affected by pretty much everything... age, cankers, temperature, humidity, smoke, altitude, health, etc whereas physical instruments will sound the same no matter what and it takes an actual injury to the player to mess that up.  Look at Petrucci:  he had a cold during SCORE and I've read other times when he's been too sick to do much other than go right to bed after a show to rest but during the show you'd never even notice.

I think it's cuz everyone has a voice but not everyone plays an instrument.  What I mean is that, as a guitar player, I can hear when Petrucci or Satch or Blahblah mess up, but a non-guitar player (certainly a non-musician) might not be able to unless it's huge flub.  People can relate to vocals and therefore can more easily pick out any mistakes.  It's also why I think shows like The Voice are so popular, cuz everyone can relate to them, but similarly-based instrumental shows would fail except for people who can.  I'm not a drummer but I always read about the drummers here pointing out little flubs MP and MM do, things I could never pick out unless someone told me.

So, yeah, not more credit, but way less bashing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:18:01 PM by PetFish »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2016, 11:17:17 AM »
I am watching a YT video of a show in Hannover right now, and the vocal performance is very similar to the Boston one. Good to excellent in the mid-to-low register, struggling throughout the high register.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."