Author Topic: James deserves more credit.  (Read 7440 times)

Offline winghead

James deserves more credit.
« on: February 10, 2016, 08:29:39 AM »
After what he's done on the Astonishing and with how much incredible work he's done I feel like he should be regarded as one of rock's greatest frontmen. As much as I love the instrumentals, he is my favorite part of most DT songs . I still sometimes feel like the other members of the band don't fully see him as a democratic member of the band and after this long , they should. If I'm
Off base please correct me. I have not been a fan for as long as many of you have I'm sure

Offline V_R11

Re: James deserves more credit.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:46:58 AM »
I for one have always loved James LaBrie, but I know his singing divides opinions among the fanbase

I would argue that no one can say he did a bad job with this album. I love his work on it so much I almost want to cry
Seasons change and so can I

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
He did a fantastic job.  But I don't see anyone saying anything less, so I'm not sure what "more" credit he deserves. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline winghead

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:28 AM »
It's strange that his voice is so divisive to people who call DT their favorite band. He's really integral to the sound . It's kind of like saying Aerosmith is my favorite band but I hate Steven Tyler. I guess it's possible but unlikely. And yes he deserves a shrine built to him for his work on this beast of an album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:54:29 AM »
He did a fantastic job.  But I don't see anyone saying anything less, so I'm not sure what "more" credit he deserves. 

That.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:57:04 AM »
Since MP left, to me at least, I've enjoyed his singing better on albums.  Maybe having more control was better for him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
James Labrie is the voice of Dream Theater, and his band members are proud and privileged to have him! My older brother and his wife were up visiting last weekend and I put in TA cd and played the whole album.  They said the lead singer has the voice of an Angel and the music was captivating. They are now wanting to see them live for the TA tour. They had not heard much of DT before that. I also had a lady friend over that came and joined us for the evening and she too was floored by the music and Vocals on this album, and she had never heard of DT. She somehow connected to the lyrics in her own personal way on some of the songs. She kept saying that singer is amazing, and wants to see them live too. 
 So I have won over 3 new DT fans with this new album..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
Since MP left, to me at least, I've enjoyed his singing better on albums.  Maybe having more control was better for him.

Yeah, if MP were part of this project we would have been subjected to his Nafayrius death growls. No thanks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 10:37:26 AM »
Again with the pointless speculative digs at MP. What's the point?

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 11:17:49 AM »
James has been impressing the hell out of me since 2003. When I saw them on the co-headlining tour with Queensryche they'd been out of the spotlight for about a year, and he looked healthier, sounded better, and upstaged Geoff Tate during their encore duets. I haven't seen a bad performance from him since.

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 11:24:31 AM »

This is what I was thinking too, his vocals seems better than ever and maybe they are writing songs that are more suited to his voice.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 11:35:57 AM »

This is what I was thinking too, his vocals seems better than ever and maybe they are writing songs that are more suited to his voice.
Good point, the songs especially on The Astonishing are especially giving him a chance to soar. I like James voice for the MP era too. "Score" comes to mind..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Enalya

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
James Labrie is the voice of Dream Theater, and his band members are proud and privileged to have him! My older brother and his wife were up visiting last weekend and I put in TA cd and played the whole album.  They said the lead singer has the voice of an Angel and the music was captivating. They are now wanting to see them live for the TA tour. They had not heard much of DT before that. I also had a lady friend over that came and joined us for the evening and she too was floored by the music and Vocals on this album, and she had never heard of DT. She somehow connected to the lyrics in her own personal way on some of the songs. She kept saying that singer is amazing, and wants to see them live too. 

Wow I wish my friends were like that ._. Good on you!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 11:43:37 AM »
James is one of my favorite singers, but let's be honest, he's not a great frontman.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »
I have heard plenty of negative comments for years about James from non DT fans and some criticism from DT fans. I have always liked him as the front man of DT and hope that it never changes. He is pretty astonishing on this latest effort, I think his best work ever! :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 11:51:19 AM »

Wow I wish my friends were like that ._. Good on you!
I got lucky on this one, most of my friends won't give Dream Theater the time of day. They are stuck in the past with Ozzy, Metallica, AC/DC, Pearl Jam, etc. Which is ok, but they just don't want to make the effort to try something different. People are weird that way.. ???

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »

Hold on, I'm a huge fan of MP, I just know I wouldn't like his influence on this album.

Offline robin5749

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 12:01:34 PM »
the last tour I saw him in uk last summer, wacken he was struggling a bit at the beginning, but still great.
this album is all about james and Jordan.
fantastic vocals on this album
love his last solo record.
there are not many guys in their fifties that can reach those high notes so well.
Robert plant gave up years ago and they were downtuning the songs
james still has a wonderful singing range
like to hear more rock voice though, his ballad voice has always been a hanky job

Offline winghead

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
I just find that most of the interview by band members really don't talk about him much if at all, and he seems to not be given much press opportunity. John and Jordan seem to dominate it. To me James not being the vocalist for DT is the same as Rush without Geddy, Queen without Freddie etc.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »
a hanky job
Googled it and came up empty. What does this mean?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 12:32:13 PM »
It's strange that his voice is so divisive to people who call DT their favorite band. He's really integral to the sound . It's kind of like saying Aerosmith is my favorite band but I hate Steven Tyler. I guess it's possible but unlikely.

I have a hard time grasping this concept as well, but DT are very technical so Petrucci or Rudess' abilities are already enough to draw in people who are musicians or are really into the technical side of things. Whereas with Aerosmith it's all about a nice and good rock n' roll / blues song.

So in a sense I understand that for some people Petrucci, Portnoy or Rudess are already enough to like the band and don't like the vocals, but still... James IS the voice of Dream Theater. He's been there on every album except the debut, so whatever music exists from 1991 onwards, has been created for James' voice. There is no counterproof whatsoever that another singer would be fitting, because except the debut the songs have always been James' to sing.

To make another example... look, I totally and completely dislike Ozzy's voice, never liked him as a singer or even as a person, but he helped to shape the sound of Black Sabbath, and the only reason we're discussing Black Sabbath today is because Ozzy's voice was part of the first incarnation of the band that got famous. Sure a dime and dozen singers could have done a better job, but if we're even entertaining the possibility of thinking about it, it's because Ozzy and no one else was there at the beginning.

Same for James - I love his voice and while with my brain I understand why people may not like him, with my heart I just think a giant WTF whenever someone dislikes his voice. There's an alternate reality where DT never found James and either continued as an instrumental act, or found a random singer and stayed in relative obscurity for the rest of their carrer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pcs90

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 12:33:35 PM »
I'm not sure what it is, but James has sounded better since MP left. I've always loved his singing on studio albums but it's just getting even better. TA is James' best album. So many different vocal styles and he nails all of them.
I have never enjoyed James live as much as in studio though, except on Score. I don't know why that is, but even then it's amazing how well he does considering that many of the songs can be hard to sing live. If he always sounded like he did on Score this wouldn't even be an issue but I know that's not really realistic.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 12:43:36 PM »
I'm not sure what it is, but James has sounded better since MP left. I've always loved his singing on studio albums but it's just getting even better. TA is James' best album. So many different vocal styles and he nails all of them.
I have never enjoyed James live as much as in studio though, except on Score. I don't know why that is, but even then it's amazing how well he does considering that many of the songs can be hard to sing live. If he always sounded like he did on Score this wouldn't even be an issue but I know that's not really realistic.
I've never minded his singing live since he got his issues sorted out before the SFAM tour. Admittedly, when I saw them in like... 97-98 ish with the FII tour... it wasn't his best performance and to this day I can't listen to the "Once in a Live Time" release without cringing a bit.

But he was was having some issues then and since the SFAM tour, he's come out and sang solid and clear every time I've seen him. I was really impressed with how well he sang on the old Awake songs last go around during D12's tour. The "crew" I go see DT shows with every tour all had the same thought leaving the show.

"Man, James is freakin nailing it still."

Can't wait to hear him sing this live. Willing to bet it's gonna be amazing... and god I hope he does the laugh live X]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:20:31 PM by Gromit1710 »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »

I'm not digging at him but I do believe that they were butting heads and MP did push for James to sing a certain style for certain songs.  James seems to be better of late when he has control on how he sings.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pcs90

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »
I was really impressed with how well he sang on the old Awake songs last go around during D12's tour. The "crew" I go se DT shows with every tour all had the same thought leaving the show.

"Man, James is freakin nailing it still."

Can't wait to hear him sing this live. Willing to bet it's gonna be amazing... and god I hope he does the laugh live X]
Yeah, the last 2 tours are definitely the best he's sounded live in a long time IMO. He's a lot more consistent and I'm hoping that continues on for this tour. And I agree, hope he does that laugh!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:09 PM »
James is one of my favorite singers, but let's be honest, he's not a great frontman.

In what regard?? I can't really find much fault with him as a front man. I believe he's simply poised. Dream Theater
isn't the kind of band that calls for an over the top, flashy, overly charismatic, or perhaps obnoxious singer.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 02:45:01 PM »
He doesn't try to be a great frontman. DT fans know that, and they know what to expect from him on the stage.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »
Giving my respect for JLB, he is great on this album!  I've never been one to bash him so I won't start now, but I will say as much as I love him, I wouldn't rate him a top "front man".  He has gotten much better at that role though since MP left.

Offline Disciple_Kickstand

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 11:20:16 PM »
Yeah, the last 2 tours are definitely the best he's sounded live in a long time IMO. He's a lot more consistent and I'm hoping that continues on for this tour. And I agree, hope he does that laugh!

I have a theory on why he's been so much better and consistent on the last two tours. I believe it's a direct result of having a setlist more or less locked in for the whole tour.  Portnoy's ever changing stylists were a cool idea, but man, I can't imagine having to be able to physically pull off any given song in DT's catalogue on any given night.  Very challenging material to try and sing and sing well at the best of times.  With the consistency of a locked in setlist it gives the guy a chance for muscle memory to do the heavy lifting and really work on stage presence and delivery, and not focussing all energy on just trying not to screw up.
I saw them during the SC tour and the adtoe tour.  There was no comparison between the two vocal performances, James' adtoe performance was leagues ahead of the SC one. He looked like a new man.

And I think James, is gonna absolutely kill it on the astonishing in a live setting. I'm expecting some more cool vocal fireworks thrown in during the live set too. Should be awesome.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 11:54:13 PM »

I was just going to say that.  Even the people who thought the album was "meh" pretty much unanimously acknowledge that this was his best album in a long time, if not ever.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 12:04:32 AM »

I was just going to say that.  Even the people who thought the album was "meh" pretty much unanimously acknowledge that this was his best album in a long time, if not ever.

Let's not go overboard.
Don't get me wrong, I think JLB is great on the new album, his best of the RR era for sure, but I don't think it's all that like many people do.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 02:23:49 AM »
He did a fantastic job, excellent. But it might have something to do with him singing within his range and being comfortable.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 02:49:31 AM »

Let's not go overboard.
Don't get me wrong, I think JLB is great on the new album, his best of the RR era for sure, but I don't think it's all that like many people do.

I may be slow, but I don't even understand the last part of your sentence. ???  :rollin (it probably has more to do with me than with your post)
Anyway, I don't think it's JLB's best performance, but it's very very good. And about the MP thing, I tend to agree with Blob here : JLB singing the way he did when MP was still in the band had as much to do with MP as it had to do with JP. Granted, the dynamics changed when MP left and I guess that's what accounts for JLB improving. As has also already been said, he now sings in a zone that is more comfortable for him.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 03:09:02 AM »
Hi there, newbie here. :)

I'm a fan since 2007 and I've heard him on every album but his voice has definitely changed over the course of 25 years. On album he has remained pretty consistent in vocal range but it's live that he isn't always up to his usual standard, I saw a concert in Wacken on Youtube (don't know what year it was), and he just couldn't sustain the high notes. It was more screaming than singing, pretty embarrassing, I think he must've been quite ill that day. When he's recording an album and not feeling well, he can just come back another day. That's the problem with live performances. Also to be a vocalist in DT you have to be albe to do the full range, for 2.5 - 3 hours almost non-stop.

He's a great singer in my book. He's as much an integral part of DT as the other members. His contribution on The Astonishing is flawless.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 03:24:25 AM »
Hi there, newbie here. :)

I'm a fan since 2007 and I've heard him on every album but his voice has definitely changed over the course of 25 years. On album he has remained pretty consistent in vocal range but it's live that he isn't always up to his usual standard, I saw a concert in Wacken on Youtube (don't know what year it was), and he just couldn't sustain the high notes. It was more screaming than singing, pretty embarrassing, I think he must've been quite ill that day. When he's recording an album and not feeling well, he can just come back another day. That's the problem with live performances. Also to be a vocalist in DT you have to be albe to do the full range, for 2.5 - 3 hours almost non-stop.

He's a great singer in my book. He's as much an integral part of DT as the other members. His contribution on The Astonishing is flawless.

Hello, SolidSnake, welcome to DTF. Good post btw.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael