7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 216426 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Wild Card Week
« Reply #2660 on: January 07, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
Hell of a catch by Richardson.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #2661 on: January 07, 2017, 07:24:30 PM »
If some owner was dumb enough to make me a head coach, any player that signals "our ball", "first down", or "penalty's on them" and isn't right gives up 1/3 of his game check. Don't pretend you know WTF you're talking about if you don't. Every single time there's a fumble 8 guys from each team start signalling "our ball." What is it, wishful thinking?

I don't like stupid behavior.

I hear you with those. I'd add wide receivers getting covered well and immediately getting up and doing that stupid "throw the flag" motion calling for pass interference. Every damn time. So annoying.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: January 07, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
Funny, thought that only bugged me. Anytime someone debates a foul call, it makes me think of this classic SI cover

Seahawks playing well enough to win, and maybe stay within 30 points of ATL next week.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2663 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:23 PM »
Well the Raiders turned out as I suspected, but at least the Seahawks won. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2664 on: January 07, 2017, 09:38:11 PM »
someone explain to me how Dallas is considered to be in the East)

That's a left-over from the time that there were only 3 divisions per conference, instead of the 4 divisions that we have now. Some teams were kept in divisions that didn't make sense geographically to maintain traditional rivalry games. This is also the same reason that Miami is in the AFC East instead of the AFC South.

At least Florida's in the (south-)east of the USA, so they can get away with that one. Dallas is nowhere near the 'east' of anything. It's only just about in the east of Texas.

(I do take your point, btw. It's just mildly baffling to this observer from the other side of the Pond.)

The real head scratcher is Indy in the SOUTH! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: January 07, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
Officiating seemed pretty terrible in the Lions/Seahawks game, but Detroit probably didn't play well enough to win regardless. It's a shame Stafford messed up his finger.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2666 on: January 08, 2017, 07:28:45 AM »
  So basically, he has been one win better per season than Korell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, Neil O'donnell and Mike Tomzcak.

The difference being that none of those players could bring a championship home, and only one of them even made it to a super bowl. He's made it to three.

Having more team success than Kordell Stewart and Neil O'Donnell does not automatically make you elite.

And considering how poorly he played in his first Super Bowl in particular, I would not say that Ben brought a championship home.  They won that game in spite of him.

I am not arguing that he isn't very good; he is.  He's just not elite or in the top tier of NFL QBs.  Never has been.

I suppose that it depends on your definition of elite. In my opinion, there are only two QB's that are better than him that are currently playing in the league. Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers.

Furthermore, the same argument could have been made about Elway in the latter part of his career in regards to needing a good/great running game to win. I don't think that anyone in their right mind would claim that he wasn't an elite QB. Montana always had a good run game. The list could go on and on. In fact, the only great QB that comes to mind that didn't have the benefit of a great run game was Marino, and he could never win a championship.

That's madness. The consensus best four QBs for years were Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Brees.  Peyton is now retired, and Ben has done nothing to do show that he is as good or better than Brees (who doesn't win as much because his D almost always stinks, but he is still better).  Plus, Ben was passed by Russell Wilson years ago, and a case can be made that Matt Ryan has passed him now, although I get that we usually like to see more than one great season out of QB before we call him elite.  Of course, when is the last time Ben had a season we would call great?  2014.  And before that?  Maybe 2009?  So a QB who has been elite in one of his last seven seasons is elite in general?  Nope.

Furthermore, the same argument could have been made about Elway in the latter part of his career in regards to needing a good/great running game to win. I don't think that anyone in their right mind would claim that he wasn't an elite QB. Montana always had a good run game. The list could go on and on. In fact, the only great QB that comes to mind that didn't have the benefit of a great run game was Marino, and he could never win a championship.

Elway was such a one-man wrecking crew in the AFC that he actually won the MVP in 1987 and made the All-Pro Team thrice.  Ben has never made any All-Pro Team, and while I think Pro Bowl nominations are often pretty skewed, consider that this supposed elite QB that is Ben Roethlisberger has only made it five times in 12 seasons. Seems to me that if he were truly elite, he'd be in there almost every year.

Officiating seemed pretty terrible in the Lions/Seahawks game, but Detroit probably didn't play well enough to win regardless. It's a shame Stafford messed up his finger.

Agreed.

Stafford wasn't the same since he hurt his finger.

As for the officiating, it was the usual Seattle home-cooking stuff, but I don't think it would have mattered (not that that excuses it). I was actually okay with them not calling a block in the back on Wilson on Rawls' long run since the Lions defender turned at the last second when Wilson went to block him.  It's like when you go to a hit a player, who then steps out of bounds, contact is made after he's out of bounds because your momentum was already going, and the officials throw a flag.  I hate that.  Common sense should be used sometimes.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2667 on: January 08, 2017, 11:07:16 AM »
Couple notes:  Devin Hester continued to show his 'diminishing returns' last night.  The Lions were, once again, the Lions.  The names change, but the results don't change.

As to Big Ben:  as a Raven fan, I'd take him over Brees and Ryan in a heartbeat.  He doesn't have the luxury of playing 9+ games in a windless dome every year, plus most Nov-Dec road games in warmer climates.  He's made tons of plays out of nothing, is a winner, and the team feeds off of that.  Christmas Day was yet just another reminder.  Can't wait for him to retire.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2668 on: January 08, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
Wow, imagine how good the Steelers would be doing if Ben was great.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2669 on: January 08, 2017, 11:26:37 AM »
Antonio Brown is really good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2670 on: January 08, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »

Well, they certainly didn't do anything to help themselves., but the officiating was horrendous against the Lions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2671 on: January 08, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
Serious question:

When is the last time a team had arguably the best WR AND the best RB in the league?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2672 on: January 08, 2017, 12:09:50 PM »
Monster cheap shot by a Steelers defender.

I guess when Suh lands on Ben's ankle and breaks it, it will be considered payback.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2673 on: January 08, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »
Wow, imagine how good the Steelers would be doing if Ben was great.

They'd be undefeated, have won 10 superbowls over his career and he'd shit gold nuggets then use them to feed all the starving children in 3rd world nations across the globe. Then he might only be considered average...

/sarcasm
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2674 on: January 08, 2017, 03:48:58 PM »
Outside of Bell the offense played like garbage in the second half. That's not gonna fly in KC or NE. Lot of work to do this week.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2675 on: January 08, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
How stupid of Tomlin to have Roethlisberger throwing in that situation, up 18 with 4 minutes to go.  Yeah, have your injury-prone QB drop back and throw when there is no need. Brilliant. And he took a bad hit and is now in a walking boot.  :facepalm:

Giants D has been awesome so far, but great play by Rodgers there gives GB the lead.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2676 on: January 08, 2017, 04:15:39 PM »
How stupid of Tomlin to have Roethlisberger throwing in that situation, up 18 with 4 minutes to go.  Yeah, have your injury-prone QB drop back and throw when there is no need. Brilliant. And he took a bad hit and is now in a walking boot.  :facepalm:

Giants D has been awesome so far, but great play by Rodgers there gives GB the lead.

Totally agree. Tomlin well knows it's just not in Ben's DNA to play safe, he needs to make the decision to pull him.

Rodgers lightning strikes AGAIN. Ridiculous.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2677 on: January 08, 2017, 04:32:42 PM »

Totally agree. Tomlin well knows it's just not in Ben's DNA to play safe, he needs to make the decision to pull him.

Maybe they'll use him up until he's really hurt and try to trade for Russell Wilson in the off season.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2678 on: January 08, 2017, 04:50:47 PM »
What a stupid call on 4th & 1.  The Giants deserved that TD.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2679 on: January 08, 2017, 04:52:23 PM »
That was Exhibit A as to why I think Mike McCarthy blows.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2680 on: January 08, 2017, 04:55:28 PM »
You make that call when your D can't stop another team. His D is playing great.  Terrible,  terrible call.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2681 on: January 08, 2017, 04:58:32 PM »
Meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2682 on: January 08, 2017, 05:45:04 PM »
The Good News: The Giants are out.
The Bad News: The Packers are not.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2683 on: January 08, 2017, 05:51:29 PM »
Rooting all the way for the Packers to demolish the Cowboys.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2684 on: January 08, 2017, 07:18:00 PM »
Rooting all the way for the Packers to demolish the Cowboys.

I think anyone with a soul is rooting for that.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2685 on: January 08, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
4/4 don't think those picks were really difficult, Packers was the only one I had a bit of doubt if the Giants offense got going but they didn't.

I think next week should be interesting, much tougher picks other that the Patriots one.

Seahawks vs Falcons - Falcons
Texans vs Patriots - Patriots
Steelers vs Chiefs - Chiefs
Packers vs Cowboys - Packers
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Divisional Week
« Reply #2686 on: January 09, 2017, 05:00:08 AM »
Well, after Wildcard weekend I'm 3-1 in my playoff predictions. The only one I got wrong was Oakland-Houston. And it also means a home-team 4-0 sweep for the weekend, after last year's wildcard round saw all the visiting teams win.

It took almost an entire half for the Packers to get going, but Rodgers just did what Rodgers does after that.

At 1am last night (after I switched the radio off), I suddenly realised that the team whose stadium Super Bowl LI will be played in are still alive. I mean, it's a gargantuan task for them to reach the big game, but you never know...

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2687 on: January 09, 2017, 05:45:08 AM »

Actually, Ben did audible the play call at the line of scrimmage to the pass play, but I'm not sure what the actual play call was. The question is why was he in there at all? :facepalm:

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2688 on: January 09, 2017, 05:59:14 AM »

Actually, Ben did audible the play call at the line of scrimmage to the pass play, but I'm not sure what the actual play call was. The question is why was he in there at all? :facepalm:

Yeah, then again GB had their starters in while up by 4 scores. Who knows.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: January 09, 2017, 07:20:39 AM »
Man that was a hard to watch last 32 minutes of the Giants Packers game.  Looked like it was going to be a good game for awhile then the Giants fell apart.  The poor play by the receivers is going to lead to a lot of "well thats what happens when you party in Miami before a playoff game" talk.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2690 on: January 09, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »

Maybe they'll use him up until he's really hurt and try to trade for Russell Wilson in the off season.

:lol Perfect comment after all that conversation... PowerSlave I'm with you on Ben and I've been down this road with Kev before. Unfortunately it seems like Kev just does't like Ben and pulls certain stats or arguments to support a conclusion he has already come to. But whatever, it's all good. I'm sure Ben's good with his champions that he has won and he will be without question, a first ballot hall of famer.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: January 09, 2017, 07:39:14 AM »
There was one and only one example of elite QB play yesterday and that was Aaron Rodgers.

Roethlisberger and Eli were equally very good.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2692 on: January 09, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't want to start debating who should be considered an elite QB or not again.

Just enjoying a big Steeler win yesterday.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: January 09, 2017, 08:04:29 AM »
Honestly, I don't want to start debating who should be considered an elite QB or not again.

Don't know how big of a win it really was, I mean, they were supposed to do that to the Dolphins, so good on them for showing up and executing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2694 on: January 09, 2017, 08:10:23 AM »

Don't know how big of a win it really was, I mean, they were supposed to do that to the Dolphins, so good on them for showing up and executing.

To me that's big. I have my doubts about this Steelers team as a whole and their mental and emotional toughness. So them doing what they were expected to isn't surprising to me, but it is encouraging. Also - it's the playoffs aren't all wins arguably big?

I think they can beat KC next week, but if they have to play the Pats in FB for the AFC championship, I'm not sure this team can do that. Their defense still has some very big holes and past Brown, they don't have anyone else to really be a threat at wide-out.