7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 216325 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Free Agency
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
Still don't know what the terms were of the Denver offer, other than 30 million guaranteed (vs 37 from Houston). Again, this is his opportunity to cash in and I won't fault him for wanting that extra 7 guaranteed; he's a kid with his whole life ahead of him. Especially if it required a few more years from Denver. At the same time I have a real sore spot for shit attitudes. If it were a token difference and being benched in favor of Peyton Fucking Manning was the deciding factor, I'd be thrilled that he took the money and ran.

Agree completely, and of course... we're judging this all based on some snipits in the press.  There's invariably a whole lot more to the story.

But then there's stories like Charles Johnson, that seem completely self-less (financially speaking) and totally committed to the team/city.  That's the kid of character I'd want on my team.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »
Here's a nice article on Charles Johnson and why he re-signed with the Panthers, if you have a minute.

Charles Johnson Returns On One-Year Deal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
Here's a nice article on Charles Johnson and why he re-signed with the Panthers, if you have a minute.

Charles Johnson Returns On One-Year Deal

That was a good read. Liked this part:

In that process, he almost became a Giant. They made a compelling offer, and Johnson was impressed with what he called a "first-class organization."

But a conversation with New York general manager Jerry Reese flipped a switch for Johnson. He asked Reese if he would leave his post in New York if another club offered more money.

"He started as an intern there and now he’s the GM for the Giants. He saw everything that happened – championships and all that. He said he wouldn’t trade that for the world," Johnson said. "When he said that, I just thought to myself, ‘I’ve been here the longest. And all I’ve asked for is an opportunity. So how can I turn away from my team and the family that’s in Charlotte – how can I turn away?’

"That overweighed everything. I wanted to be happy, and I literally couldn’t imagine signing with them. This place raised me."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2016, 10:53:12 AM »
Yep.  I thought that was great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »
As much as that sucks for the Giants fan, that is a cool story.  When I read the headline for that I thought "Wow Reese blew it" but he didn't really, I have a ton of respect for a player that sticks with their organization with the hope of winning vs. taking the money for a team with less of a shot.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2016, 05:16:24 PM »
Multiple reports say that Osweiler getting benched for Peyton was a factor in him leaving.  Not the main factor, but one nonetheless.  And I am okay with that.  Not every QB has the balls and mental toughness to follow a legend.

What's odd for us Broncos fans is that we have enjoyed three Super Bowl wins, and followed two of them up now with a major question mark at QB (Griese/Brister in '99, TBA in '16).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2016, 06:39:57 AM »
I think he was more pissed that they made him wait for Peyton to make a decision. Honestly Bronco fans, did you want another year of Manning? Elway should have booted Manning to save cap space and make signing Osweller a priority. I know he's still relatively unproven but compared to who else is out there he was their best shot at maintaining some continuity. Now they're looking at Kapernick, good luck.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2016, 06:47:09 AM »
I think he was more pissed that they made him wait for Peyton to make a decision. Honestly Bronco fans, did you want another year of Manning? Elway should have booted Manning to save cap space and make signing Osweller a priority. I know he's still relatively unproven but compared to who else is out there he was their best shot at maintaining some continuity. Now they're looking at Kapernick, good luck.

No... everyone knew that Manning's tank was empty.  But seriously... god forbid Elway and the organization give (arguably) the greatest QB in history the respect to make the ultimate decision on his terms.   ::)  Osweiller has not proven that he is that big of a deal.

Honestly, I'm not all that scared of Kap.  I believe he's still got the talent... it's a question of whether it can be resurrected and moulded.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2016, 06:49:33 AM »
Osweiller wasn't upset about that.  He was upset for getting benched the last game and not carrying the team into the playoffs.  He thought is should have been his time.  I'd want my QB to think like that.  So I think he just wanted to really be the "The Man" in a new environment.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2016, 07:00:20 AM »
Osweiller wasn't upset about that.  He was upset for getting benched the last game and not carrying the team into the playoffs.  He thought is should have been his time.  I'd want my QB to think like that.  So I think he just wanted to really be the "The Man" in a new environment.

Well, if he got benched just because Manning was healthy, I might somewhat be able to understand.  But he wasn't getting the job done against the Chargers - with home-field on the line, and a knee injury to boot.

If Brady was shitting the bed when Bledsoe got healthy, I'm sure he'd have been back on the pine.  But Brady took the mantel, went 11-3 and won the SB. Also, Bledsoe isn't quite the same caliber as Manning.  Brock?  4-2 which included a loss to Oakland.

I don't have a problem with him *wanting* to be the guy, but to feel disrespected because it wasn't just handed to you?  And that to be part of the reason you bolt from the #1 job of the defending SB champs?  Lame, imo.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: March 11, 2016, 07:22:02 AM »
I get that but do you think they benched Manning for his foot?  I think not.  That being said, the team was flat the last game and sometimes changing the QB is like changing a goalie. It sparks the team.

I do get him being pissed because for him to grow you need to play but team was battling with a shot to win the SB.  Not an easy situation for a coach and GM.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: March 11, 2016, 07:27:20 AM »
Houston plays at Denver this upcoming season. Should be interesting.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #187 on: March 11, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »
Wasn't it already being reported that they weren't going to resign him anyway? I don't get the respect thing. It's business and in my opinion Elway fucked up. As a Chiefs fan, I'm giddy that they're already stagnant offense is falling to pieces.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: March 11, 2016, 08:47:21 AM »
I believe that the Manning 'cap' room didn't officially free up until he announced his retirement.  I don't see how Elway fucked up - he didn't think Brock was worth the money he was getting from Houston.  Whether he makes that decision before Tuesday or not is irrelevant.  That was the business decision. 

And if "it's business", then why the need from the Brock camp to vocalize how he was butt-hurt about being benched?  It was just "business".

I've got no problem at all with how Elway/Broncos handled this.  I don't have much of a problem with Brock wanting to be "they guy" and get paid for it if it's being offered.  I think it's a little lame for anyone to be butt-hurt about being benched behind the best QB of all-time (despite the fact Manning wasn't playing anywhere near his best), and then to leave the SB defending team over a 12% difference in salary.

Houston plays at Denver this upcoming season. Should be interesting.

Indeed it will.  I don't think Ware or Miller will have any problems putting Brock on his ass.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2016, 09:07:10 AM »
I agree that Elway didn't fuck up whatsoever.  Like I said earlier, Oswieler has been in his garage for the past four years. He knows what's under the hood. If Elway's assessment is that Oswieler doesn't have what it takes to be very good/elite, then he did the right thing by not overspending. On top of that Elway still gave Oswieler a fair offer in my opinion. I don't fault the guy for following the money to Houston. I don't fault Manning for taking some time prior to announcing his decision. The media always wants us to pick sides and designate "fault". In this case, I don't think there is any. Everyone did just fine.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
The Browns have officially waived Johnny Manziel. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2016, 09:54:23 AM »
From what I read, Elway knew for a few weeks that they were not going to resign him even though they offered 16 mil a year so they were already working on free agents for QB's.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »
Neat little write up on the 20 years since the Cleveland Browns "relocated" to Baltimore.

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14946293/tangled-history-cleveland-browns-baltimore-ravens-now-dates-back-20-years

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »
It's OK, Broncos fans, your QB worries are over.

Broncos trade for QB Mark Sanchez

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »

I'll have an order of the Broncos Butt Fumble please.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »

I'll have an order of the Broncos Butt Fumble please.

I think Elway may still be hungover from all the Budweiser he and Manning drank after the Super Bowl.  Although... Sanchez managed the Jets to two AFC Championship games.  I think we should watch this one carefully. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: March 11, 2016, 12:10:44 PM »
It's clearly a back up that can fill in if needed so not a big deal.

But, butt fumble.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: March 11, 2016, 12:15:40 PM »

It's clearly a back up that can fill in if needed so not a big deal.

Yeah... I gotta believe this is a 'just in case NOTHING pans out'.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: March 11, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »
Great move by Denver. Sanchez is certainly worth a 7th round pick.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2016, 12:52:04 PM »
As a chiefs fan!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2016, 01:34:17 PM »
You guys will love Sanchez, trust me.  :tup

:millahhhh
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »
As a chiefs fan!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I'm sure that Denver fans, fresh off their 3rd Super Bowl win, are hurt by a chiefs fan loling at them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »
Exactly. You guys still have as your QB, Mr. King of the 3-Yard Pass, kaos2900.  A Chief fan laughing at a Broncos fan for anything is seriously hilarious.

As for Sanchez, LOL indeed, but it's obviously to be a backup.   They'll still be starting someone else.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2016, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm curious who their going after.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if Ryan Fitzpatrick is a Denver Bronco very soon.  Sign Fitzpatrick, draft a QB for the future, and maybe Sanchez can play backup for a bit.

Regardless, I am chuckling at all of the overreaction to this. So much "Elway is dumb" and "the Broncos will be awful next year" talk out there. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
I find the overreaction comical too as a Broncos fan. There always seems to be a bit of saltiness towards the SB champs by other teams' fans for the next year or so, so it is understandable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2016, 08:14:08 PM »
I see Martavis Bryant is another genius who is more concerned with getting high than making millions of dollars.  Unreal how dumb some of these guys are.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2016, 05:20:35 AM »
I see Martavis Bryant is another genius who is more concerned with getting high than making millions of dollars.  Unreal how dumb some of these guys are.

Crazy that he will lose so much Monday.   

Rattlehead,  welcome to Pats fans last 10 years. :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2016, 12:36:43 PM »
What's unreal is how much the NFL cares about players smoking in the offseason, especially considering it's not performance enhancing. Obviously rules are rules, but some rules are fucking stupid and need to be updated with the times.