7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 216461 times)

Online kaos2900

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - End of an Era: Manning to retire.
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2016, 02:06:56 PM »
Peyton was one of the best. I still remember when my Huskers kicked his ass when he was at Tennessee. I feel old.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »
Eagles apparently trading Maxwell, Alonso, and Murray.

I didn't think anyone would be willing to take on those contracts of Maxwell and Murray. Obviously got to wait and see what the return was (aside from cap savings), but I'm pretty pleased right now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2016, 07:54:21 PM »
Great speech by Peyton Manning today when announcing his retirement. His place in history is secured.  :coolio :hat

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2016, 11:08:24 PM »
Eagles apparently trading Maxwell, Alonso, and Murray.

I didn't think anyone would be willing to take on those contracts of Maxwell and Murray. Obviously got to wait and see what the return was (aside from cap savings), but I'm pretty pleased right now.
Howie Roseman pissing all over Chip's grave. I'm amazed anyone wanted to take on those contracts as well, but the Eagles will still be eating quite a bit of dead money.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #144 on: March 08, 2016, 04:07:52 AM »
Great speech by Peyton Manning today when announcing his retirement. His place in history is secured.  :coolio :hat

Got me at the end.  Such a personal moment for all to see.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
Calvin Johnson has officially retired.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »

Didn't we already know that?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2016, 09:33:52 AM »

Yes... we knew that he was planning to retire.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2016, 09:54:56 AM »

Yes... we knew that he was planning to retire.

Gotchya... didn't realize it wasn't "official" before.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline PetFish

« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2016, 03:33:20 AM »
Everyone can thank my Peyton Manning Shrine for working its magic!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #150 on: March 09, 2016, 04:25:52 AM »
So the Jets lost Chris Ivory to the Jaguars and now they're probably gonna lose Ryan Fitzpatrick to free agency. So much for contending this year.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online kaos2900

« Reply #151 on: March 09, 2016, 06:41:33 AM »
Miami and Jacksonville have had a good couple of day. I think both of those teams, especially the Jags are going to surprise next year.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: March 09, 2016, 06:54:20 AM »
Miami and Jacksonville have had a good couple of day. I think both of those teams, especially the Jags are going to surprise next year.

The Jags trending up is no real surprise. and while I agree that I like that they're spending money, I didn't like the deal Miami tried to make with Philly. Lucky for them, it might not happen due to the health of Maxwell.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: March 09, 2016, 07:10:41 AM »
Miami loads us every year and they still never scare me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #154 on: March 09, 2016, 07:25:07 AM »
So the Jets lost Chris Ivory to the Jaguars and now they're probably gonna lose Ryan Fitzpatrick to free agency. So much for contending this year.

For what the Jags are paying Ivory, they can have him. I still think Fitzpatrick ends up back with us, there's posturing going on from his camp but everyone knows we're his best possible situation.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
The Panthers released Charles Johnson, who has been a beast with us for 9 seasons, due to his $11 million salary cap amount.

Yesterday they re-signed him for $3 million (he turned down $6 million from the Giants to come back to Carolina).

Win.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2016, 08:11:42 AM »
That is a win, for both sides.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2016, 08:47:37 AM »
Classy on his part.  Not many would take a 70% paycut from their employer, and 50% from a competitor, just to stay with the original employer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2016, 08:50:16 AM »
Classy on his part.  Not many would take a 70% paycut from their employer, and 50% from a competitor, just to stay with the original employer.
Well, he really likes it here.  He understands that the release wasn't personal, just business.

So, yeah.  Classy on his part, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Free Agency
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »
Holy crap.  It being reported that Brock Osweiler is signing with Houston.   What will Denver do?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2016, 01:36:59 PM »
The Giants just stole Damon Harrison away from the Jets. If it wasn't for the Jets signing Matt Forte I would be furious right now. Instead I'm just very angry. My mood may change depending on what happens with Ryan Fitzpatrick. They were so close last year but just couldn't win the playoff clincher and now the team they had last year is falling apart. I've been through this heartbreak too many times before otherwise this would hurt a lot.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
Holy crap.  It being reported that Brock Osweiler is signing with Houston.   What will Denver do?

That deal makes no sense to me on several levels.  First, the money.  But second, that Denver team is a Super Bowl champeen tha is relatively intact, and there are easily 15 QBs in the league that would place one of their testicles in a Craftsman vice on Pay-per-view for that opportunity, and he walks from it?   I get it, it may not have been his choice, but I can't believe Elway wouldn't at least let him compete for the job. 

And I heard a rumor that Colin Kaepernick might get offered the job.   At least that guarantees there won't be a repeat. :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2016, 02:25:49 PM »
I heard the Kap thing as well.  That seems like a really odd choice.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »
I heard the Kap thing as well.  That seems like a really odd choice.
I actually think he would do fairly well in a Gary Kubiak run-based offense, assuming his head is on straight after the toxic situation in San Francisco. Bootlegs for days. Mix in a little zone read.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2016, 04:27:54 PM »
That Osweiler deal is HUGE.

So much to follow today...  :corn

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2016, 04:59:29 PM »

Reminds me of St. Rogers being anointed the new Jesus before he'd actually done anything. What makes people think Osweiler is deserving of such a huge contract?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: March 09, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »

Reminds me of St. Rogers being anointed the new Jesus before he'd actually done anything. What makes people think Osweiler is deserving of such a huge contract?
Evidently Elway didn't think he was.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 09, 2016, 05:08:09 PM »

That deal makes no sense to me on several levels.  First, the money.  But second, that Denver team is a Super Bowl champeen tha is relatively intact, and there are easily 15 QBs in the league that would place one of their testicles in a Craftsman vice on Pay-per-view for that opportunity, and he walks from it?   I get it, it may not have been his choice, but I can't believe Elway wouldn't at least let him compete for the job. 

And I heard a rumor that Colin Kaepernick might get offered the job.   At least that guarantees there won't be a repeat. :)

I'll assume he was upset that it's wasn't his car to drive into the playoffs and being the "guy" somewhere else was more enticing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #168 on: March 09, 2016, 07:35:51 PM »
Elway knows what he is doing.  I trust that they will be fine.

Good luck to Osweiler in Houston.  He took more money to play for a team whose biggest weakness is QB; can't blame the guy for that. On the flip side, I am glad the Broncos did not overpay him.

I pray we don't sign Kaepernick.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2016, 05:22:35 AM »
I see every angle of this thing and it's pretty fascinating.

Elway - He built a championship team that won the Super Bowl despite having a corpse at QB. Also, he's had Osweiler in his garage for the past four years. He should know what's under the hood, and if it's worth opening the vault door for.

Osweiler - He saw 4 other QBs from his draft class, including a guy picked after him become Day 1 starters in 2012. He most likely wanted to play, and by all accounts handled the situation with class. I can't blame him for getting a change of scenery. And as Kev said, he's getting more money to go to team that needs a QB. Good luck to him.

Texans - They knew that they needed and they went out and get it. The whole thing reeks of Matt Schaub, who the Texans signed after he was Michael Vick's backup in Atlanta. Hopefully for the Texans, this works out, because I'm very certain that it will work out in Denver.

It will be very exciting to see what Denver does and seeing who will be under center in Week 1.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »
I can't help but wonder what Denver was willing to offer him, though. I won't begrudge a player for taking the big payday early in their career, so I've got nothing against Brock. At the same time staying put has value itself. I'm curious what jumping ship actually made him, vs sticking with a championship team where he was presumably going to be the starter behind a world class defense.

edit: if this is true, fuck'em, be glad he's gone.

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported that Osweiler was offered a $16 million-per-year deal by Denver, which included $30 million in guarantees. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, though, noted that Osweiler's move to Houston was partially motivated by the passer taking his regular-season benching in Denver personally.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:18:48 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
Yeah, that's kind of shitty.  God forbid he have to wait his turn behind one of the greatest of all time.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2016, 08:51:37 AM »
It was 16 million a year El Barto.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2016, 09:09:04 AM »
Yeah, that's kind of shitty.  God forbid he have to wait his turn behind one of the greatest of all time.

Yeah, and he was shitting the fucking bed against San Diego when he was benched.  SAN-FUCKING-DIEGO!  With home-field advantage on the line!  If you can't put on your big-boy TEAM panties on and NOT take that kind of benching personally, I wouldn't want him on my team either.

$2M more per year to get to a team that is rebuilding seems to show that his character is more about being 'the guy', rather than being on 'the team'.  Sure, over the course of a few years, he may help/participate in propelling the Texans to one of the top teams in the league - but he was already on one of the Top 3 teams in the league.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2016, 09:14:36 AM »
Still don't know what the terms were of the Denver offer, other than 30 million guaranteed (vs 37 from Houston). Again, this is his opportunity to cash in and I won't fault him for wanting that extra 7 guaranteed; he's a kid with his whole life ahead of him. Especially if it required a few more years from Denver. At the same time I have a real sore spot for shit attitudes. If it were a token difference and being benched in favor of Peyton Fucking Manning was the deciding factor, I'd be thrilled that he took the money and ran.
E.F. Benson