7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 216365 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - ORANGE CRUSH IS BACK ON TAP (TOP)!!!
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
I'm still saying that Manning does not retire this year. We shall see.

Folks starting to get tagged... Von Miller, Kirk Cousins...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »
Brady extends for 2 more years until 2019 for cheap money. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »

He knows what it takes to build/keep a competitive team around him, that's for sure.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2016, 11:54:26 AM »
I just for the life of me can't understand why Peyton would play another year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »

He knows what it takes to build/keep a competitive team around him, that's for sure.

I know it helps who he married but he does get it.  It's the rings and the stats that will live on.  He has plenty of money.  That being said, I don't think I would do it but maybe that would change if I made millions.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
And the Panthers slap the franchise tag on Josh Norman (as expected).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:54 PM »
I just for the life of me can't understand why Peyton would play another year.

I get that it has to be tough to step away from the game you have been playing your whole life, but he's had enough to come to grips with it.  It's over!  He is done!  He needs to deal with it and retire already.  The Broncos had best not bring him back, if he does decide to play another year.

I know it helps who he married but he does get it.  It's the rings and the stats that will live on.  He has plenty of money.  That being said, I don't think I would do it but maybe that would change if I made millions.

I suspect Brady is smart enough to not be blowing his millions, and I doubt he is someone who would be broke in five years if he retired tomorrow, even if he was single, so taking less to help them put a better team around him is always the right move.  :tup :tup

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2016, 05:51:05 PM »
Eagles resign Bradford. I like the two year deal part, but $18 mil per is way to much.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
Eagles resign Bradford. I like the two year deal part, but $18 mil per is way to much.
That's just how much starting QB's cost. You pay that much, or you don't have one.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »
It's already turning into Favre 2.0...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2016, 06:43:01 AM »
If Peyton does continue to play it won't be with the Bronco's. Elway is not going to pay him what he's due to get.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2016, 07:01:22 AM »
RGIII needs to calm down and go somewhere where he can feel appreciated and needed but not tolerate the drama. Idk where that is right now.

He doesn't need to feel appreciated,  he needs to prove himself to his new teammates and fans wherever that might be.

THIS.   Who the f*** cares whether he feels "appreciated" or not?  Shut up, strap on your pads, and go play hard nosed football.  THAT'S how you get "appreciated".   The fuck.  What next, is he going to want a participation trophy???    He - and guys like Manziel - are going to be "flashes in the pans" because people worried about "coddling them".  As much as I dislike him and call him a choker, they should take a lesson from Tony Romo.  THREE collar bone breaks, two in ONE YEAR, and what does he do?  Gets a steel plate inserted so he can continue to play football.  THAT'S how you become "appreciated". 

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »

My cousin is an Eagles fan so I've always rooted for them as my second team, and I am pleased that they brought Bradford back. He looked solid in an offense that Kelly did his best job to ruin after getting rid of most of their star players and bringing in a RB that clearly did not fit in his scheme. It is a lot of money but unfortunately that is pretty much the going rate for decent QBs today. My Broncos will have to overpay for Osweiler too if they want him back, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with that. I am definitely in favor of keeping Osweiler with a similar deal that Bradford got.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2016, 09:10:13 AM »
The Ravens and Flacco have agreed to terms. Looking forward to seeing the numbers.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2016, 09:24:13 AM »

My cousin is an Eagles fan so I've always rooted for them as my second team, and I am pleased that they brought Bradford back. He looked solid in an offense that Kelly did his best job to ruin after getting rid of most of their star players and bringing in a RB that clearly did not fit in his scheme. It is a lot of money but unfortunately that is pretty much the going rate for decent QBs today. My Broncos will have to overpay for Osweiler too if they want him back, it's going to be interesting to see what happens with that. I am definitely in favor of keeping Osweiler with a similar deal that Bradford got.
Honestly, I would rather throw money at Osweiler than Bradford. He's much younger and has shown about as much in just a few starts as Bradford has in 6 years.

However, with signing bonuses and such, apparently Bradford's cap number is only 12.5 mil this year, which I can definitely get on board about.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »

Honestly, I would rather throw money at Osweiler than Bradford. He's much younger and has shown about as much in just a few starts as Bradford has in 6 years.

However, with signing bonuses and such, apparently Bradford's cap number is only 12.5 mil this year, which I can definitely get on board about.

Brock also got to sit comfortably behind Manning for several years and had weapons like Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and Owen Daniels (to name a few) at his disposal once it was his time to start. He also got to work with Kubiak who works wonders with QBs with the kind of strengths that Brock has. Bradford on the other hand played on teams with sub par offenses (for the most part) and several different offensive coordinators. I can't think of many QBs that would have excelled on those teams. Bradford obviously has some durability issues which worries me but I'm expecting good things from him next season in Philly. I think the Pederson hiring was good for him.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2016, 08:12:24 PM »

Brock also got to sit comfortably behind Manning for several years and had weapons like Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders and Owen Daniels (to name a few) at his disposal once it was his time to start. He also got to work with Kubiak who works wonders with QBs with the kind of strengths that Brock has. Bradford on the other hand played on teams with sub par offenses (for the most part) and several different offensive coordinators. I can't think of many QBs that would have excelled on those teams. Bradford obviously has some durability issues which worries me but I'm expecting good things from him next season in Philly. I think the Pederson hiring was good for him.
All good points  :tup

Not winning a Super Bowl in 50 years tends to make you pessimistic about these things, but hopefully you're right  :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2016, 07:20:15 AM »
I'm not a big Sam Bradford fan by any means, but that guy has never, ever had any good receivers in his entire career. Or a good offensive cast/system, period.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2016, 08:24:27 AM »
Panthers release DE Charles Johnson in a salary cap move (saves $11 million).  That's too bad, I've always liked Charles, but he missed most of last season with an injury.  Oh well.

Texans release RB Arian Foster.  Hmmm...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2016, 09:49:36 AM »
And your  :-\  quote of the day is brought to you by Marvin Harrison:

Marvin Harrison doesn't care that Terrell Owens feels "disrespected" because he didn't get into the Hall of Fame this year.

"The person who was supposed to get in got in. And that was me," Harrison told the Talk of Fame Network. "If he didn't get in, that's his problem. He can talk all that other bull---- like he's been doing. That's on him. But I'm in. My jacket is gold. I will look in the rear view for nobody.

"So he can get his ass in whenever he gets in ... if he gets in. If he doesn't get in, too bad. The hell with him.''

https://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14892667/marvin-harrison-care-owens-gets-hall-fame

Harrison can thank his lucky stars that he had Peyton Manning throwing to him during his career.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2016, 10:39:49 AM »
True.  But I think this says more about how the rest of the NFL players thought of TO than anything else.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2016, 10:43:43 AM »
T.O.'s well deserved reputation notwithstanding, I still find Harrison's commentary comical. This was Harrison's 3rd year of eligibility and Owen's first. The first year Harrison didn't make it, Andre Reed did. I guess "The person who was supposed to get in got in" that year as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
Yeah, I guess he did.  And I'm not sure that Harrison would dispute that.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2016, 12:12:12 PM »
Harrison can thank his lucky stars that he had Peyton Manning throwing to him during his career.

....or.....Peyton can thank his lucky stars he was throwing to Harrison all those years? I get what you're saying but you can say it about them all. Who was more important, Jerry Rice or Joe Montana? Superstars are superstars and Harrison set himself above the rest and he deserves it. TO was good and maybe he'll get in one day, but he wasn't a first ballot HOF player
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2016, 12:39:10 PM »

....or.....Peyton can thank his lucky stars he was throwing to Harrison all those years? I get what you're saying but you can say it about them all. Who was more important, Jerry Rice or Joe Montana? Superstars are superstars and Harrison set himself above the rest and he deserves it. TO was good and maybe he'll get in one day, but he wasn't a first ballot HOF player

This. Regardless of who is throwing the ball the WR has to a)get open b)catch the ball. Harrison deserved to get in. There is no way TO is or was a first ballot. Honestly, I don't think he'll ever get in.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2016, 11:08:01 PM »

This. Regardless of who is throwing the ball the WR has to a)get open b)catch the ball. Harrison deserved to get in. There is no way TO is or was a first ballot. Honestly, I don't think he'll ever get in.
Terrell Owens's on field performance was equal to or greater than Marvin Harrison's.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2016, 05:29:18 AM »

Terrell Owens's on field performance was equal to or greater than Marvin Harrison's.

Bingo.... and that's without having the benefit of a QB the likes of Manning (aside from Steve Young in the early years)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: March 04, 2016, 07:12:58 AM »
Yeah, but he was enough of an asshat that I never believed for a second that he would get in on the first ballot.

His numbers were such that he will most likely get in eventually.  But I won't lose any sleep over it, because he was not just a "me FIRST" player, he was a "me ONLY" player.  So screw him.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »
Yeah, but he was enough of an asshat that I never believed for a second that he would get in on the first ballot.

His numbers were such that he will most likely get in eventually.  But I won't lose any sleep over it, because he was not just a "me FIRST" player, he was a "me ONLY" player.  So screw him.

I agree. And even without the attitude, there's been a logjam at the WR position for quite some time now. I think T.O. getting in in 2018 would be just fine.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »

Bingo.... and that's without having the benefit of a QB the likes of Manning (aside from Steve Young in the early years)
His performance was actually pretty remarkable. You always hear the negatives of him switching teams, but he was extremely successful for a number of different teams/systems/quarterbacks. No dropoff whatsoever. I'm not going to claim that Marvin Harrison was just a "system guy," but Owens definitely wasn't.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
'Bout damn time. :lol

It'll be a bit strange at first watching football on Sundays with no Peyton Manning, but it sure was fun watching him play the position as good as anybody ever has, for the last two decades. :tup :tup

Now, the Broncos need to sign Osweiler.  Teams like Cleveland and Houston are supposedly ready to offer him bigger contracts, but I would hope the prospect of staying with one of the NFL's best franchises, where you'll always have a chance to win, will entice him to stay, instead of bolting to Cleveland for the easy pay day.  I won't begrudge him if he does, because hey, this might be the highest his stock will ever be, and you've got to cash in when you can, so we shall see.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »
'Bout damn time. :lol

It'll be a bit strange at first watching football on Sundays with no Peyton Manning, but it sure was fun watching him play the position as good as anybody ever has, for the last two decades. :tup :tup

Now, the Broncos need to sign Osweiler.  Teams like Cleveland and Houston are supposedly ready to offer him bigger contracts, but I would hope the prospect of staying with one of the NFL's best franchises, where you'll always have a chance to win, will entice him to stay, instead of bolting to Cleveland for the easy pay day.  I won't begrudge him if he does, because hey, this might be the highest his stock will ever be, and you've got to cash in when you can, so we shall see.

He'd have to be clinically insane to go to Cleveland. Unless they offer him 10 mil a year and his next best offer is 50 cents, I can't see him doing it. But it's his life.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - End of an Era: Manning to retire.
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2016, 04:56:29 PM »
He wouldn't be the first football player to cash in by going to a bad franchise...and he wouldn't be the last.

Thing is, his skill set is perfect for the Kubiak style of the West Coast offense: he can throw it down field, he can run the naked bootleg, and he already knows the system.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - End of an Era: Manning to retire.
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2016, 12:38:31 PM »
"I revere football ... so if you wonder if I'll miss football, absolutely I will" Peyton Manning.

That sums it up. No one outlasts time, but Peyton got to do what he loved longer than just about everyone else can only dream of.