7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 216327 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
2016 NFL THREAD

2015 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43237.0
2014 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=40900.0
2013 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36033.0
2012 NFL THREAD - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=31774.0

Shot of the Broncos' championship parade. Those fans brought it! Very impressive.

It’s that time of year to start a new thread. The NFL has truly become something that can be discussed year around, with the way that the NFL schedules things, for people popping up in the news. On top of that, any number of debates could be brought up at any time.

A few of the upcoming dates:
March 9th – First day of the 2016 league year.
April 28th-30th – NFL Draft in Chicago (Tennessee is on the clock!)
September 8th – 2016 Season kick off game, Denver to host one of the following teams: KC, OAK, SD, HOU, IND, ATL, CAR, N.E.   
February 5th 2017 – Super Bowl LI, to be played in Houston.

A few of the changes:
The St. Louis Rams have relocated (back) to Los Angeles. They are coached by Jeff Fisher, who coincidently was the coach of the Oilers when they relocated from Houston to Tennessee (the last relocation).

New head coaches in Cleveland, Miami, New York (Giants), Philadelphia, San Francisco, Tampa Bay & Tennessee.

New Stadium for Minnesota.

Other talking points:
Will Peyton Manning retire?
What does the future hold for Brock Osweiler, Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin & Johnny Manziel?
Will any of the big free agents go to new teams?
Will Goodell do anything to make us roll our eyes this offseason?
Which players coming back from injury, such as Jordy Nelson & Kelvin Benjamin, will have the biggest impact for their team?

And of course…. How are you feeling about your team right this second? What changes do they need to make for the 2016 campaign? Who should they target in free agency and in the draft?

We could also discuss other things like who has the sharpest uniforms/helmets, Mount Rushmore for each franchise…… Whatever’s clever!

P.S. - I included a poll where you can pick your favorite team, so that newbs and lurkers can know how we roll!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 11:13:33 AM by Destiny Of Chaos »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - ORANGE CRUSH IS BACK ON TAP (TOP)!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Pats fan checking in.

Congrats to Denver!  On to 2016!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 08:19:42 AM »
Pats fan checking in.

Ditto.  And I think it will be N.E. to face-off against Denver on the 2016 NFL season opening night.
- Ronzoni -

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 08:21:02 AM »
Bring on the new season! I'm ready to see how the Chiefs can keep improving after a very solid year.

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:22:16 AM »
I will say this: I do think they're going to announce at some stage during this offseason that it will be Super Bowl 51 instead of Super Bowl LI. The main reason for giving 50 the Arabic numeral was that they couldn't design an aesthetically-pleasing logo with just an L. How are they gonna do it with just an I added on to that?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 08:24:03 AM »
Pats fan checking in.

Ditto.  And I think it will be N.E. to face-off against Denver on the 2016 NFL season opening night.

I think opening night will be the SB repeat and Pats at Denver during the November sweeps.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 08:25:10 AM »
Pats fan checking in.

I think opening night will be the SB repeat and Pats at Denver during the November sweeps.

I'm with you gentlemen. The league won't pass on the opportunity to open with a meeting of the last two SB Champs!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
I have been a diehard Broncos fan for over 40 years! I am pumped were champs again!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 09:18:25 AM »
Pats fan checking in.

I'm with you gentlemen. The league won't pass on the opportunity to open with a meeting of the last two SB Champs!

All things being equal, that would be great.  But I'm not sure it will have the same gravitas without Manning if he does in fact retire. 

Back to the OP:  I dunno, as with last season, I am somewhat "team-less."  I refuse to devote myself to the 49ers under the present ownership regime unless and until they give me a reason to.  I will still root for the Packers and Broncos because I have loved those teams for about 35 years.  And I will continue to root against Seattle and the Giants.  But without really having a team that I consider "my team," my interest level in the NFL has waned.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:54:26 AM »
Why do the giants get your dislike?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:29 AM »
Why do the giants get your dislike?

I'll take 80's/Early 90's rivalry with the 49ers for $200, Alex.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:56 AM »
Yeah, just longstanding team rivalry.  And I don't like Eli. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 10:27:16 AM »
Yeah, just longstanding team rivalry.  And I don't like Eli.

What's not to like about this guy?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
Everything.

Signed,
                                                        A Pats Fan. :biggrin:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 10:54:45 AM »
I saw that title and did not click on it. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 11:31:40 AM »
All the regulars know I'm a Bronco's fan first and foremost.  I like the Cards, Pack, and Bills next.

Will Peyton Manning retire? He'd be an idiot not to.  He's not an idiot.  Ergo, I have to believe he's retiring.

What does the future hold for Brock Osweiler, Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin & Johnny Manziel? Brock... I think he could trend the way Rodgers did... was an understudy that took a while to get the reigns, and eventually became "Elite".

Will any of the big free agents go to new teams? :dunno:

Will Goodell do anything to make us roll our eyes this offseason?  Give it time

Which players coming back from injury, such as Jordy Nelson & Kelvin Benjamin, will have the biggest impact for their team?  Nelson - for sure.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 11:44:57 AM »
I wish people would just stop talking about Manziel. Regardless of his issues he will NEVER make it in the NFL. I've seen the media be so obsessed over a nobody since Tebow.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 11:46:53 AM »

Will Peyton Manning retire? He'd be an idiot not to.  He's not an idiot.  Ergo, I have to believe he's retiring.

I think he plays next year. As much sense as it would make for him to go out on top, I think for him... he wants to prove that he can still play at a high level.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 11:50:42 AM »
If I were Peyton, I'd go out on top.  It's not worth risking injury when you have nothing to prove.  He already proved he can still play at a high level by leading the broncos to a SB. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 12:00:17 PM »
if by "leading" you mean "following the defense", then yes, I agree.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »
First SB that didn't have a passing TD. In this day and era that is, dare I say it, astonishing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 12:03:27 PM »

Sure, but he was still the leader of that team at that stage.  But I know what you mean, he wasn't exactly the reason they won, which is why I think he should retire. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »

Sure, but he was still the leader of that team at that stage.  But I know what you mean, he wasn't exactly the reason they won, which is why I think he should retire.

Fair point.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Hopefully.  I love him, but he is a shadow of his former self.  It seems like it's a perfect time.

What does the future hold for Brock Osweiler, Kirk Cousins, Robert Griffin & Johnny Manziel?
The first two probably have a certain amount of success to look forward to.

The other two will be lucky to remain in the league.

Probably.

Which players coming back from injury, such as Jordy Nelson & Kelvin Benjamin, will have the biggest impact for their team?
Benjamin coming back should have a positive impact on the Panthers.  We did great with what we had, but were without that bona fide stud at WR, and it hurt us in the Super Bowl.  Of course, him coming back means someone else will have to go, but them's the breaks.

And of course…. How are you feeling about your team right this second? What changes do they need to make for the 2016 campaign? Who should they target in free agency and in the draft?
I feel great about the Panthers.  The coaching and talent is there; the biggest thing they need is experience, and they got a shit load of it this season.

They definitely need help on the offensive line, and could use an improvement in their receivers and safeties.  Otherwise, they are solid, roster-wise.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »
I think there is no chance in hell that Peyton comes back.  He knows he is done physically, and he's smart enough to know that he'll never get a better ending than he did on Sunday.

As for Osweiler, I'd be fine with him as the Broncos QB.  He needs to learn to not hold the ball so long sometimes, and his red zone efficiency needs to get a lot better, but he's in a perfect spot; Kubiak is a great coach for quarterbacks.

As a Broncos fan, I'll be curious to see a) how many starters they lose from that defense, and b) if Demaryius Thomas pulls his head out of his ass next year and plays like an elite WR again.

I think the Panthers will have a SB hangover, but they should still be in the mix next year. Too much talent not to be.  They should have a much tougher schedule, though.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 05:25:20 AM »
I'm going to try and head down to the draft this year. Probably not actually go, but do some of the activities they have outside.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 09:48:42 AM »
Other talking points:
Will any of the big free agents go to new teams?

We could also discuss other things like who has the sharpest uniforms/helmets, Mount Rushmore for each franchise…… Whatever’s clever!

I don't know if Peyton will retire but I know he should.

If Peyton retires I think the Broncos will bring back Brock. Kirk Cousins is staying in Washington. The other two idk.

Every year a big free agent changes teams so I would be more surprised if it didn't happen.

Goodell usually reacts in a stupid matter to big scandals so if nothing happens then he should be fine.

Jordy Nelson returning will be huge for the Packers. Had he been on the field in Arizona, Green Bay might have won that game.

I'm feeling pretty good about my Jets. They had a good season but fell short of the playoffs. The big concern this offseason is trying to resign as many key free agents as possible. They don't have much cap space to work with so the GM is gonna have to get creative with money or hope guys will take a hometown discount. Other than that, I can see Gang Green improving on last season and possibly making the playoffs.

Sharpest uniforms and helmets: The Chargers throwbacks are the best uniforms in the entire NFL but if we're going off of regular uniforms, the Lions Honolulu blue is just a pleasure to look at.

Teams Mount Rushmore: I can really only speak for the Jets, but I think it would be Joe Namath, Don Maynard, Joe Klecko, and Curtis Martin.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »
Oh, as an aside, regarding the thread title:  when my Mom came to our Super Bowl party, she told me she had almost picked up some Orange Crush to bring, but then decided not to, because of the name association.  I assured her that no one other than me and her would have made the connection.

But I lol'd.

Also, no more throwback uniforms ever again for any team ever.  Yeah, a couple are cool, but most are awful.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 09:52:43 AM »
Also, no more throwback uniforms ever again for any team ever.  Yeah, a couple are cool, but most are awful.

I think the Steelers are perhaps the sole team whose throwbacks are so awful that they are awesome.  (talking about the bumblebee Stryper throwbacks)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »
There is nothing awesome about them.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
Denver's strip ones were awful as well.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 10:03:10 AM »
I like Tampa Bay's (I think they're much better than their regular uniforms). But I'm probably the only one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 10:04:54 AM »
Really?  Tampa's "new" uniforms are among my favorite in the league.  Their old ones are among the worst I have seen, old or new, IMO.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 10:13:34 AM »
Really?  Tampa's "new" uniforms are among my favorite in the league.  Their old ones are among the worst I have seen, old or new, IMO.
Agreed.