7 (8.1%)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1 (1.2%)
Tennessee Titans
0 (0%)
Washington Redskins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: 2016 NFL THREAD - Super Bowl 51 - Patriots' Day: V - Screw Goodell  (Read 216474 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: 2016 NFL THREAD - Ryan vs. Rodgers, Pats vs. Pitt
« Reply #2905 on: January 16, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
Is Ben really healthy?  I saw some of the game but had to go to bed to get up early for work.

He's healthy enough, no excuses. Brown had one TD pass knocked out of his hands in the end zone, and the pick was a ball tipped straight up in the air. Does appear he and some of the younger receivers aren't 100% on the same page yet.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2906 on: January 16, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
After seeing the Pitt/KC game last night, both of those teams are not capable of going into Foxborough and winning.  Looks like I'm hoping that ATL runs the table because I don't want GB or NE winning the SB.  It would be cool to see the Falcons get it.

You can't base your predictions on one measly game. You could have said the same about how the Patriots played Saturday, no way that flies against a good team.

I'm making that prediction based on the Pats history of being.....well......the Pats.:lol  6 field goals won't fly in Foxborough either.  Let's face it.  The Pats are going to the SB again... :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2907 on: January 16, 2017, 03:18:36 PM »
Is Ben really healthy?  I saw some of the game but had to go to bed to get up early for work.

He's healthy enough, no excuses. Brown had one TD pass knocked out of his hands in the end zone, and the pick was a ball tipped straight up in the air. Does appear he and some of the younger receivers aren't 100% on the same page yet.

I was thinking for mobility.   I feel the same about Brady and Floyd.   Not on the same page yet.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2908 on: January 16, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »

I was thinking for mobility.   I feel the same about Brady and Floyd.   Not on the same page yet.

Oh, gotcha. Mobility seems acceptable to me.

I hope it's a great game next week. Steelers have no excuses this year. No Gronk. It's do or die. Don't care who wins NFC.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2909 on: January 16, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »

WWBBD (What Would Bill Belichick do)?
I think the point is that he never really has to. He tends not to sign knuckleheads and he's willing to unload damn near anyone if the need comes. Everybody on the team knows what the rules are about talking to the media, and after what happened to Jamie Collins, I doubt very many are willing to test Bill's disciplinary resolve.

I'd argue that he's actually willing to sign knuckleheads (I have nothing good to say about his running back as an example), but the rest of your statement nails the point home. That's part of my problem with Tomlin. He tends not to punish players when it's called for. The lack of some kind of discipline sometimes hurts an otherwise extremely talented team. I don't think a coach needs to be a hard-ass all the time, but certain boundaries need to be put in place. Putting those boundaries in place during a playoff game while on the field (see Ross Cockrell's behaviour towards one of the refs last night) is too late and highly ineffective.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2910 on: January 16, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
Anybody the video of Belichick talking about the Eagles parade before the SB in, well 2005?

You know how minimal it is, coaches use it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2911 on: January 17, 2017, 07:18:49 AM »

Oh, gotcha. Mobility seems acceptable to me.

I hope it's a great game next week. Steelers have no excuses this year. No Gronk. It's do or die. Don't care who wins NFC.

Not making excuses, but I think it's highly unlikely that Ben's mobility is 100%. After the Miami game he was in a boot and needed to get a MRI. The MRI found nothing major (according to Ben himself) but the fact that it was needed was worrisome. Fast forward a couple days and he did not look himself (in terms of mobility) during the KC game.

Don't get me wrong, not looking to make excuses if they lose to the Pats, which honestly I think they will, but IMO, he's not 100%.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2912 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »
That's what I figured.  When 100% he is so dangerous out of the pocket.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2913 on: January 17, 2017, 07:32:24 AM »

Right, and he looked terribly uncomfortable trying to do exactly that vs KC. If he had to move out of the pocket at all, it looked like a huge struggle for him. The big third down at the end of the game that they had to convert to be able to run the clock out, Ben rolls out and hits AB with that beautiful pass, that's a play I've seen Ben make a million times, and it looked like it was very difficult for him to execute Sunday.

Something is off. Hopefully he is closer to or 100% vs the Pats. If he performs well, I think it could be a really good game.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2914 on: January 17, 2017, 07:33:30 AM »
Anybody the video of Belichick talking about the Eagles parade before the SB in, well 2005?

You know how minimal it is, coaches use it.

Yeah, I've seen that several times.  Seems kinda petty for a coach like Belichick.  He's usually more about concentrating on doing your own job and not being concerned about what others are doing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: January 17, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
Nah, he know that motivates players.  They all do it.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2916 on: January 17, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
For the great coaches, it's not personal.  You use whatever you can to get whatever edge you can.   Belichick is a master at it, and Tomlin is good, but somewhat one-dimensional at it.  Tomlin likes the tough guy, smash mouth, us-against-the-world attitude, but it doesn't always work.  Belichick's doesn't always work either, but his teams are versatile enough (as shown last weekend) to win smash-mouth games, shoot out games, special teams games... 

Personally, I think that Antonio Brown is a dumbass.  Why you would do ANYTHING to potentially give away whatever edge you have is beyond me.  I feel the same way about Odell Beckham, Jr. and Boatgate.  Did it matter?  Who knows?   But WHY PLANT THE SEED.  Keep your head down, play football and be done with it.  If you have to slip away for a little R&R with your boys, fine, but leave the cell phones on the shore for fuck's sake.  Ever notice that you NEVER, EVER see bootleg photos of Jack Nicholson with his pants around his ankles and two girls fighting for his knob while six others dance the hoochie coo around the room?  BECAUSE HE'S A PRO. He knows how to do this without giving anything away.  (I'm only half kidding here). 

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2917 on: January 17, 2017, 08:18:29 AM »

Right, and he looked terribly uncomfortable trying to do exactly that vs KC. If he had to move out of the pocket at all, it looked like a huge struggle for him. The big third down at the end of the game that they had to convert to be able to run the clock out, Ben rolls out and hits AB with that beautiful pass, that's a play I've seen Ben make a million times, and it looked like it was very difficult for him to execute Sunday.

Something is off. Hopefully he is closer to or 100% vs the Pats. If he performs well, I think it could be a really good game.

It's soooooo true that the last couple of years when he is injured, he does not play well at all, either in the pocket or on the run. Years ago that was the opposite. He still has a problem with that ankle/foot, and as you said, I hope it is near 100% come Sunday.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2918 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
It's soooooo true that the last couple of years when he is injured, he does not play well at all, either in the pocket or on the run. Years ago that was the opposite. He still has a problem with that ankle/foot, and as you said, I hope it is near 100% come Sunday.

Yup, I think it's matter of (1) as he gets older he isn't able to play through injuries as well and (2) the amount of injuries he has sustained over his career are starting to pile up on top of him.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2919 on: January 17, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
I'm going to wager that the Steelers are going to come out on top of this game making this my only wrong pick in the playoffs so far.

Yeah, I picked KC, and that was my only wrong pick thus far.  Oh well.  I've also been in the kind of fun position where who I thought would win each game this round was also who I wanted to win (other than maybe NE; I guess I slightly favored them, but I was mostly indifferent).

Next round:

GB over Atlanta
NE over Pitt

More than the results of either game, what I would love to see this weekend more than anything is Tomlin benching Brown for the entire game.  I know it won't happen, but I would love it if it did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2920 on: January 17, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
More than the results of either game, what I would love to see this weekend more than anything is Tomlin benching Brown for the entire game.  I know it won't happen, but I would love it if it did.

The entire game? I'd bet he won't bench him for a single play  :lol

Local sports talk radio around Pittsburgh has been saying the team should tell Brown to delete his social media accounts until the season is over. Even that, Brown would laugh at and not adhere to at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2921 on: January 17, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »

Local sports talk radio around Pittsburgh has been saying the team should tell Brown to delete his social media accounts until the season is over. Even that, Brown would laugh at and not adhere to at all.

Exactly.  Bench him and then shop him to some backwater team like Jacksonville in the offseason.  It may end their season this year, but would pay off huge in "respect points."  Again, I know it won't happen.  But it should.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2922 on: January 17, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
Exactly.  Bench him and then shop him to some backwater team like Jacksonville in the offseason.  It may end their season this year, but would pay off huge in "respect points."  Again, I know it won't happen.  But it should.

Oh I agree, believe me I do. For so long the Steelers thought of themselves and communicated to their fanbase that they had a level of class and morality above other franchises in the NFL. A lot of old-time Steeler fans in the Pittsburgh area still think they do, the truth is they don't hold themselves to a higher standard.

I don't know if I would trade Brown, but I would have nipped this sort of thing long ago. He felt comfortable doing what he did because he has never really had to answer for anything within the context of that team.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2923 on: January 17, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
They won't do anything significant with Brown. He's arguably the best receiver in the league, and the Steelers haven't run a tight ship when it comes to discipline for many years now. Hell, I bet Joey Porter would've been coaching on the sideline the week after his arrest even if none of the charges had been dropped.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2924 on: January 17, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
They won't do anything significant with Brown. He's arguably the best receiver in the league, and the Steelers haven't run a tight ship when it comes to discipline for many years now. Hell, I bet Joey Porter would've been coaching on the sideline the week after his arrest even if none of the charges had been dropped.

Hah, I'd bet you this is how the Joey thing went down.

Rooney calls the Pittsburgh DA (cause you know he has this pull in the city) and says:

Rooney: "hey I get it, it's on film...but drop the felonies and you can keep the misdemeanors" "I can still have him coach the boys if it's only misdemeanors"

DA: "yes sir Mr. Rooney"
 :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2925 on: January 17, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »
Oh, there's no doubt something like that went down.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2926 on: January 17, 2017, 11:17:09 AM »
I really do hope the Packers can keep rolling and win the SB.  I really don't want Pitt or NE to win it and I don't think the Falcons have a shot at beating NE (maybe Pitt, but I don't see Pitt beating NE).

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2927 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »
I would almost always want to see GB win it over almost any other team.  I definitely have my order of preference, but I wouldn't terribly mind seeing any of the remaining 4 win it.  My preference:

1.  Packers:  Have been a fan since I was a kid.  And notwithstanding some things about Rodgers bugging me, I like him as a player (same for a number of their players).
2.  Falcons:  Why not?  Ryan is talented and has been patient through the ups and downs.  For that reason alone, I wouldn't mind seeing him rewarded.  Jones has been such a great player for so long too.  Great for them if they make it.
3.  Pats:  I hated them for so long, but have come to admire them as an organization, and I respect the admiration Brady and the coaching staff have for the historic 49ers dynasty, so I don't mind them at all continuing to build on their own.
4.  Steelers:  I'm kind of indifferent toward them, but have a good friend who is a pretty hardcore fan.  Wouldn't mind seeing them win it all.  If they were to unexpectedly bench Brown, I would absolutely root for them in the Super Bowl on principle alone if they were to somehow win on Sunday.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2928 on: January 17, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
As always my only wish for the superbowl is that it's a good competitive game. I don't mind any team winning it either, and my preference of winners goes

1. Falcons (being the only non-superbowl winner left)
2. Packers
3. Patriots
4. Steelers
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #2929 on: January 17, 2017, 11:56:40 AM »

No, no, no...That's crazy to trade him for that. If it's a substance abuse, or some other serious issue, then you still think hard about it, but then yes trade him, but this? I wouldn't.

I just watched Tomlin and he said that Brown will be punished,but Steelers won't be. Funny.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2930 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
I just read that Goodell is going back to Atlanta for the second week in a row.

As expected.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2931 on: January 17, 2017, 12:14:30 PM »
I just watched Tomlin and he said that Brown will be punished,but Steelers won't be. Funny.

Yup  :lol

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2932 on: January 17, 2017, 01:31:04 PM »
The following starters were inactive for GB when they lost to Atlanta 33-32 earlier this season...

WR Randall Cobb
RB/WR Ty Montgomery
TE Jared Cook
LB Clay Matthews
DB Darius Randall

Just for information purposes of course.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2933 on: January 17, 2017, 01:55:58 PM »
So now that we have our final 12 4 .....here is my order of want.

1. Detroit
2. Atlanta
3. Kansas City
4. Oakland
5. Seattle
6. Dallas
7. Miami
8. Houston

9. Green Bay
10. New York
11. New England
12. Pittsburgh

I am 6-2 in picks so far this postseason. The only two games that I got wrong were both bets against Green Bay. Won't be making that mistake again.

NFC Championship - Green Bay @ Atlanta
AFC Championship - Pittsburgh @ New England

A rematch 20 years in the making.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2934 on: January 17, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
I am picking Green Bay and Pittsburgh.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2935 on: January 17, 2017, 02:06:27 PM »
I think GB will beat ATL. Not sure who to pick in the other game yet. My heart says Steelers my head says Pats.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2936 on: January 17, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
Pats win! Pats win! 

That game isn't in any dispute for me; head and heart are in lock step there.

The Green Bay/Atlanta game is something else.   Atlanta is really fun to watch, I'm a big fan of Ryan, I'm a big fan of Arthur Blank (had lunch with him once; incredibly nice man), and I used to live in the ATL, so I'm rooting for them.  But damn, is Aaron Rodgers fun to watch, and should never be counted out.  I love that underdog attitude, the never quit attitude, the "I'm so calm, I'm almost asleep" attitude, the "we're going to run the table" then actually DOING it, against great teams... the only thing I'm not 1000% sold on is McCarthy.  He's a winning coach, he's a good coach, but he makes some bad mistakes some times.   I have yet to decide which team I will pick in my pool. 

For me, I'm telling the fam "between 3:00 and 6:00 on Sunday, everything stops in the house."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2937 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »
Just chiming in on Tomlin's style of coaching (emotion, motivation, intensity) vs BB (attention to detail, execution, etc). The problem with intensity is that you can't maintain it at such a high level forever. I'd prefer my coach be a combo of both styles.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #2938 on: January 17, 2017, 03:57:19 PM »
I've been busy with work the last couple of days, so I didn't have the opportunity to really check out the video until now. Everyone is coming down on AB as he rightly deserves. What nobody seems to be talking about is all of the other players that were aware of the video being broadcast live as well. A couple of them that were trash talking who haven't contributed a fucking thing of note to the team in months (Sammie Coates). Obviously, they could have been doing much more offensive things than they were, but it speaks to a culture that lacks a certain sense of professionalism.

I'm a life-long Steelers fan, and I'll be rooting for my team next week when they visit Foxboro, but this stuff needs to get cleaned up because it will come back to bite them in the ass. It starts with their coach and needs to "trickle down" from there.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2939 on: January 17, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
Cowherd was just on the TV today saying that in his last 2 playoff games, Brady has completed 47% of passes with 3 TDs and 4 picks. Why does everyone seem to think Pit has NO chance? Like it's inconceivable that Bell and/or Brown could have big games or something? Like literally INCONCEIVABLE?

Anyway, I've found I can't make myself dislike Brady anymore. Not saying I like everything he does, but I love the way he competes.