Author Topic: Does Anyone Here use Hearing Aids?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline kaos2900

Does Anyone Here use Hearing Aids?
« on: February 10, 2017, 10:10:10 AM »
So after dealing with mild tinnitus and an overall decline in my ability to hear soft conversations I decided to get my hearing checked. My right ear is pretty good with mild hearing loss but my left ear has moderate hearing loss. They said that hearing aids are optional at this point and it was my choice. Outside of soft conversations at work I don't really have a problem dealing with day to day life. I have become more proficient at reading lips and use captions on anything we watch at home. They said that I could do a 60 day trial to see what the improvement would be. Just curious to see if anyone has a similar situation or if there is anyone that uses hearing aids. I'm only 32 and am leaning towards getting my hearing rechecked every few years just because I really don't want to spend the money right now. And going forward I will be using hearing protection when working with power tools, mowing, concerts, etc.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Does Anyone Here use Hearing Aids?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:40:38 AM »
What?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »
Seriously, though, a friend from college (he's 50 now) has worn them for about, I'd say 5, 6 years now, and they've changed his life.   I've never asked him what the underlying cause is (age, concerts, something biological) but I know we have a pretty brutal circle of friends (on more than one occasion I've had outsiders ask me "do you know that guy" after someone has said something pretty scathing) and after a couple of sarcastic comments, I asked him if it bothered him and he said "I couldn't care less; this is the best thing I could have done".

He's got the inner ear ones, so you can't tell unless you look into his ear, but he wears a high and tight, so he does nothing to hide them, and I know he wouldn't go back at this point. 

I can ask him any questions you might have if you want me to (though I don't talk to him every single day at this point.  We have kids now. ;))

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
Thanks for the response Stadler. I know they can be life changing I just don't feel I'm that bad and I don't the ROI would be worth it yet.. Plus I have two little girls who scream constantly so half the time I wouldn't wear them anyway.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
www.beltone.com

My wife works for a hearing aid company - see the above link.  Hearing aids now are extremely advanced and compatible with modern technology and smartphones.  My father has a pair of Beltone hearing aids and loves them.  The tubes are small and clear and nearly invisible if you look at his ears when he wears them.  The receiver/behind ear unit is also relatively small, though he does keep his hair a little longer to hide them.  They've made a complete difference in his life, and my mom often needs to remind him to turn the TV up so she can hear it.

They can be discreetly operated with a smartphone app and have Bluetooth technology for streaming audio or making a telephone call.  I believe that pre-set locations can also be programmed, so they automatically change volume depending on your location (home, work, restaurants, etc.)

My mother-in-law also has Beltone's, but she hates using them because she gets annoyed at needing to change the volume all the time, depending on her location and sensitivity to loud noises or voices.

You mustn't get them wet though, so proper rain protection is important when using them. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
I don't need hearing aids (yet), but my dad does and he refuses to get them.  My poor mother, always repeating herself and you can sense the frustration.  The TV volume is way up all the time and she can't even hear her phone when I call.   :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White