Author Topic: Evermind's Second Roulette v. The Aftermath  (Read 124006 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
My question would be what kind if job do you have that you can listen to so much music?
Probably DJ Ev, or the guy who plays power metal at retro-medieval bars, or both :P

Offline Tomislav95

I'll definitely check that double CD. I would have checked more songs after results in every round but I'm too lazy so I checked just some of those that got 9 or 10.
My question is: how many Adidas tracksuits you own? :neverusethis:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That double album thing is awesome.  Would love to check some of these out but obviously I'm not gonna go there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Here's my question: How much points is a pearl star? :neverusethis:
More points than bronze star, but less points than diamond star. And I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. Dave, confirm this if you can. :biggrin:
No.

"No" because it's wrong, or "No" because you don't want to?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Would love to check some of these out but obviously I'm not gonna go there.

Good on ya mate... that goes for other Roulette's too.   ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
"No" because it's wrong, or "No" because you don't want to?
"No" because "No", obviously.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Very nice on the CD thing, I'll download it soon. :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Parama, you tend to throw the term "power metal" around just like I tend to label everything I dlslike as "djent". :lol I wouldn't say Lyriel and Almanac songs were power metal, but hey, that's up to you.

As for questions: how do you find the time (and motivation) to write  and do all this extra stuff for your roulette (tidbits, long write-ups, that album...), write elaborate essays for submissions in other roulettes and still have a full time job?

Well, that's a nice question and while I might seem a pompous assbag while answering it, I'm still going to give it a go. :lol

Let's start with my full-time job, it's a nice job that allows me to listen to the music while I'm actually working - more details on this in the next answer - and while it could be mentally exhausting, I actually love it and I've got a lot of energy after a working day still.

When I signed up for doing this roulette, I knew I'll have to put all my free time into it, because I knew listening to a lot of songs will take time, doing the write-ups will take time, all that... so I just had to put all my other projects on hold and focus on the actual roulette. I've postponed the beginning for a few months picking the most convenient time to run this, and when I felt I'm ready to do this, I've got a permission from Dave and started it.

The motivation... You're calling all the blurred pictures, tidbits, double-album-thingy "extra stuff", but in my opinion this is just a simple matter of showing some respect to the people that are playing in my roulette, taking their time entertaining me with the songs, looking to find something right up my alley. They're obviously putting a lot of effort in it - well, most of them (hello Kade!) - you should see the EP write-ups they sent me - so naturally I have to put a lot of effort to make sure it pays off, and while the detailed write-ups is the most obvious answer to this, I've got to put some extra effort to make the people interested and entertained in turn. This was my intention from the very beginning - I wanted this thread to become something that people will look forward to visit, that they'll be eagerly awaiting every update. People often think that the fact the host is producing the write-ups and results, while 12 folks are trying their best to send the songs that'll please him is enough, and I think it really isn't. I think the host should put more effort than that, and I did exactly that.

Beyond that, well, see, I'm kind of OCD guy I guess. I'm usually reluctant to sign up for the job, but if I do sign up for it, I'll be damned but I'll see it done well. If I set the deadline, I'm going to make sure I meet it (most of the time). The time isn't really an issue here - thought I've got to say I've spent most of my free time after work listening to your entries, composing blurred pictures, writing the tidbits, doing the write-ups, but I don't regret it at all. And as I said, the motivation was somewhat an easy part - people are putting the effort in sending me the songs, so I have to give the effort back tenfold. It's simply a matter of respect.

And it's the same in the other roulettes. I'm sending a song to you, I want you to know what I think about it, I'd like to give you a story behind it, and since you're so kind to listen to my song, I'm going to put an effort into my entry. That's another case where it's simply a matter of respect.

My question would be what kind if job do you have that you can listen to so much music?

I'm a design engineer at Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant. If it matters, I'm in the fuselage department (I wonder why RJ didn't send Voices from the Fuselage :neverusethis: ). I'm not always listening to music at work, but there are days where I have somewhat routine job to do and no one bothers me, so I can just put my headphones on and enjoy the ride. On the other hand, there are days when it seems like every single person in the department wants something from me. :lol I hate those.

I might take a picture of my working place tomorrow just to keep the discussion alive.

None. :lol

I'm starting doing the results now. I've got a lot to say and write... so I'm not going to post them soon. I think three hours to write them all, and then I'm going to reveal them gradually from #6 to #1. I wanted to do that back in my first roulette, but RJ threatened me with that Kamelot promo. Now that it's not on the table I think I'll do the one-by-one reveal.

Time to get the hype on.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:14:04 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
I noticed that I put less effort in my entry writeups the more the roulette host seems to lose interest in their own roulette, that definitely didn't happen in this one, or any of the ones I'm currently in for that matter. Not even talking about responding to the PM's, I rarely even did that in my own roulette :lol (though I wish I would've), but the effort they put in keeping the thread updated and keeping up the pace.

Looking forward to the top 6 countdown
:corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Copied straight from my top 50, right? :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

I've just discovered I've got some things I need to do IRL, so the whole results countdown is getting postponed for two hours. I've got two EPs reviewed and ranked, but I'm afraid the rest of them will have to wait for two hours until I can get to them.

Offline Tomislav95

None. :lol

Damn, this changed my stereotypical view of you :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i probably used power metal and symphonic metal interchangeably most of the time but  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Is there a difference? :neverusethis:

Offline Tomislav95

There are more types of metal? I thought all metal is just screaming.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
this newfangled rock music is destroying our kids and making them worship the satan

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Ugh.. I hate when these supposed 'vocalists' scream instead of singing, it just shows they have no talent at all, so boring, satanic and monotonous.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, back on track doing the write-ups.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
:soon: intensifies

Offline Tyrias

Eagerly awaiting your reaction to Agalloch :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
two of the three tracks are instrumentals apparently and i dunno if the third has harsh vocals at all (i'm gonna listen to the album later today tho so) so it might not be that exciting of a reaction  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh trust me, it has. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
fantastic

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Just to do an update and get you guys informed, got four write-ups out of six ready.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
*big ass explanation

I might take a picture of my working place tomorrow just to keep the discussion alive.

You're determined to be the first roulette to 50 pages, aren't ya.   :biggrin:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I'm still waiting for the first roulette host to do realtime facecam reactions to the submissions to go with the writeups.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Now that's an idea for my v3! :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
I'm in, if only to send you the longest song on that Native Construct album in the qualifiers, it's worth it :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
They'll probably release another album before I host it. Think about all the possibilities!

I think it's reasonable to expect the first write-up to be posted in about an hour.

Offline senecadawg2

While I wait for the results which are probably not going to be all that favorable for me, I've got to reiterate some of the compliments on the way this roulette has been run. Obviously 6th isn't as high as I would've liked to finish, but I wouldn't change a single thing about the way this was run. Very engaging and awesome write ups, phenomenal pacing, sharp competition, I could go on and on. I've obviously played in a whole lot of roulettes (too many, recently) and several stand out, but this sets the bar mighty high. Im really glad I decided to play.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tomislav95

While I wait for the results which are probably not going to be all that favorable for me, I've got to reiterate some of the compliments on the way this roulette has been run. Obviously 6th isn't as high as I would've liked to finish, but I wouldn't change a single thing about the way this was run. Very engaging and awesome write ups, phenomenal pacing, sharp competition, I could go on and on. I've obviously played in a whole lot of roulettes (too many, recently) and several stand out, but this sets the bar mighty high. Im really glad I decided to play.
Man, thank you for sending The Antlers :tup their album Hospice is definitely the best thing I heard this year.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've got to admin you've run this pretty well, kind of what I wanted to achieve with mine but I guess 15 players wasn't the best idea, but considering my tastes make little sense, it was statistically better :P

Offline senecadawg2

Man, thank you for sending The Antlers :tup their album Hospice is definitely the best thing I heard this year.

I'm glad they're finding new followers! I don't know how often they tour in Europe (much less Croatia) but if you ever get a chance to see them it's well worth it.

Hospice is one of my favorites. I don't often send them in roulettes though because my first attempt to do so was also in the first roulette I participated in and someone (ELITE  :angry:) eliminated me from the roulette based on that submission.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Elite just has awful tastes. He eliminated me for Serious Black. I know that sounds hilarious, but the actual song was alright. :lol

I've got to admin

Just ask Bosk I guess.

Meanwhile, five write-ups out of six are done. I saved the most interesting for the last... Nelson, yours is the only write-up I'm left to do.

Offline Tomislav95

I'm glad they're finding new followers! I don't know how often they tour in Europe (much less Croatia) but if you ever get a chance to see them it's well worth it.

Hospice is one of my favorites. I don't often send them in roulettes though because my first attempt to do so was also in the first roulette I participated in and someone (ELITE  :angry:) eliminated me from the roulette based on that submission.
I will see them if I ever get chance.
What song did you send in that roulette?