Author Topic: Have you ever witnessed the rare occasion where DT makes a noticable mistake?  (Read 6027 times)

Offline Gromit1710

Only once in over 20 years of seeing them.

Mesa, AZ. D12 tour.

Don't remember if James forgot the words to Scarred, or the band added and extra verse. Either way, was a fun and lighthearted moment that James completely laughed at.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Last DT show on their festival Europe tour at 2015 at Moscow show James walked in on stage during the beginning of Afterlife, took a mic stand and swayed it a bit and the mic instantly fell down from the stand to the area between the crowd and the scene. :lol

Later this evening he said "this microphone thing... I did it on purpose". :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
When I saw them on Bospop in their previous tour they made a small mistake during Metropolis. James expression was quite funny he really had that pleasantly surprised WTF look.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep, Austin, TX on the ADToE tour, first riff in Bridges at the very start of the show, JP forgot to turn his guitar volume up and it was silent for a moment before he quickly turned it up.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything really significant that they screwed up - may need to go back and relisten to bootlegs of the shows I went to.

But one thing that was a super rare occasion that I did witness, which was similar to a noticeable mistake, altho caused by outside sources was the firemarshall show in LA on Feb 4, 2000. JL was held backstage, so MP fumbled the lyrics as best he could to TSCO and ultimately had the audience take over. I know a lot of fans were angry that they missed seeing the whole show, but being that I had tickets to the following night, it didn't bother me at all. And I cherished getting to see something completely bizarre and out of the norm - since when do you see police in riot gear creating a moving wall to force the audience to exit the venue?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I got to witness DT trainwreck Metropolis, and it was amazing. A lot of people thought it was intentional messing around, but JR wasn't happy about it after the show. :lol It was a hot day, the last song after a long Evening With set, so they must have been wiped out by that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP-WI7E3L0
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Grizz

"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
There are definitely some cool ones on youtube. Kind of interesting to see!

I was at the LA show in 2012 when they had just a slight mess up in Metropolis, just got off for a few bars then back on in the instrumental. Also in 2014 Jordan came out with his keytar for TOT and it didn't work right and some drum loop came out of it and he went back to his keyboard to play the solo.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
I got to witness DT trainwreck Metropolis, and it was amazing. A lot of people thought it was intentional messing around, but JR wasn't happy about it after the show. :lol It was a hot day, the last song after a long Evening With set, so they must have been wiped out by that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP-WI7E3L0
Love that one!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
JP dropped the acustic guitar during the silent man in Munich '95, took him some time to recover and had a nice step dance on the pedalboard  ;D

Offline Gromit1710

JP dropped the acustic guitar during the silent man in Munich '95, took him some time to recover and had a nice step dance on the pedalboard  ;D

:lol

When there is reason
Toniiiiiight I'm a
THUNKATWANG

"Fuuuuuuu....."  :facepalm:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
If i remenber correctly it happened during an instrumental part, but the really funny thing was seing him dance on the pedalboard to recover on the electric. The reason why it dropped in the first place was that it was not hanging on a strap, it was attached to a stand and he had the electric behind it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://youtu.be/INW0zneWv6k?t=6m30s

James messes up the lyrics in Lie  :lol this was very funny live

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Yeah! JR came in too early in the second verse in Bridges in the Sky during their show in 2011 in Mexico City. Also, I saw a Metropolis instrumental MM screw-up in a LA show from their third leg of the ADTOE tour.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I saw James forget the words to Home in Wallingford, CT, 2006. Went into one of the choruses and started singing jibberish. Then he was like, "I forgot the fuckin' words!" And then MP started singing them to get him back on track. It was pretty funny!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, right, there's also this from the Russian shows from AFTR tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiW2GYfSwqw&feature=youtu.be&t=31m55s
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Tower Theater in Upper Darby (Philly):  not a band mistake, but at the beginning of ANTR, only half the curtain dropped.  Probably seemed like an eternity to the band and crew (10-15 seconds) before they pulled the remainder down.  Worked fine the next night in Columbia MD.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tower Theater in Upper Darby (Philly):  not a band mistake, but at the beginning of ANTR, only half the curtain dropped.  Probably seemed like an eternity to the band and crew (10-15 seconds) before they pulled the remainder down.  Worked fine the next night in Columbia MD.

The video of this is great  :lol

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
I remember one Jordan mistake from 2007 Finland show where he started ITNOG solo one bar too early. I immediately notized it but it was just a little thing at the first show of the tour.  :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, here's a combo of fun ones that was posted on this forum a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWD8Us5qSqQ (pull my finger+canadian rap)

btw, did I read correctly that Jordan mimed much of Budokan because of a technical glitch?

Always thought that Jordan was off key at the beginning of 'Losing Time'. 

As to the curtain in Upper Darby, is there a link?  All I could think of was 'how embarrassing' as well as 'someone's gonna get ripped after the show'.  My wife and I caught a couple of Queen+AL shows a couple of years ago, and they used the same prop.  It just seems a bit too much, as well as an accident waiting to happen. 

Should point out that DT seems 'on' 99.9999% of the time on stage.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MirrorMask

Incidentally I think the curtain covering the stage could work well for the new tour.

All is hidden, with Descent of the Nomacs you hear those buzzing, loud and adrenaline-inspiring noises at the end and then.... WHAAMMMM Dystopian Overture begins and you see the band right in front of you.

Even though theaters' curtains usually slide on the sides rather than falling down... that could be a problem, hehe!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
btw, did I read correctly that Jordan mimed much of Budokan because of a technical glitch?

Only As I Am. The rest was fine as far as I'm aware. Still, I would have never known had I not been told, and I even used the video of Budokan to help work out the entire keyboard part for that song!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Detroit, 2 tours ago during The Dark Eternal Night. Just a silly little timing thing that got immediately resolved at the start of the next measure. I think JP jumped the gun a little bit on a riff change.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
Sdoit tour, Thought I'm not sure if Labrie did cross the stage on his little scooter (it was 14 years ago), but I remember JP on the back to the ground playing the lie solo nearly perfect while portnoy was throwing him drum sticks, I love them :D
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline genome

The only thing I've seen was either Wembley '14 or Wolverhampton '14 (I went to both, I forget which it was) but Petrucci forgot to switch to the clean channel on his amp at the start of Finally Free, so the opening arpeggio was momentarily played with full-on distortion  :rollin

The first date of that tour (Porto) also had a classic in Trial of Tears, where JP played his guitar part in the second verse one fret too high. It sounded horrendous :P

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything really significant that they screwed up - may need to go back and relisten to bootlegs of the shows I went to.

But one thing that was a super rare occasion that I did witness, which was similar to a noticeable mistake, altho caused by outside sources was the firemarshall show in LA on Feb 4, 2000. JL was held backstage, so MP fumbled the lyrics as best he could to TSCO and ultimately had the audience take over. I know a lot of fans were angry that they missed seeing the whole show, but being that I had tickets to the following night, it didn't bother me at all. And I cherished getting to see something completely bizarre and out of the norm - since when do you see police in riot gear creating a moving wall to force the audience to exit the venue?

January 19, 2002 at B.B. Kings

Offline MirrorMask

Detroit, 2 tours ago during The Dark Eternal Night. Just a silly little timing thing that got immediately resolved at the start of the next measure. I think JP jumped the gun a little bit on a riff change.

I can't think of any other big mistake in the shows I witnessed aside from putting The Dark Eternal Night in the setlist.

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I just remembered one, but Metty beat me to it. I was in the front row when this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nAfGbbz_9NI#t=100

There was some debate as to whether or not that was on JP or his tech. People in the know say it was an offstage A/B switch. At the same time I saw him crank the volume knob on his guitar and I would have sworn it turned a good ways. According to the video I was only about 10' away when it happened, so I certainly had a good view of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Does the new CD count???
No, we just don't have the tiiime for music anymore
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline McNugg

• Lurker Extraordinaire
The only thing I've seen was either Wembley '14 or Wolverhampton '14 (I went to both, I forget which it was) but Petrucci forgot to switch to the clean channel on his amp at the start of Finally Free, so the opening arpeggio was momentarily played with full-on distortion  :rollin

He did that at the Manchester show too :D

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Only once in over 20 years of seeing them.

Mesa, AZ. D12 tour.

Don't remember if James forgot the words to Scarred, or the band added and extra verse. Either way, was a fun and lighthearted moment that James completely laughed at.

He definitely forgot the lyrics, because I happened to forget the same section :lol

Offline nattmorker

The Mexico city show, during the ADTOE tour, was a funny show:

1) A little earthquake happened like 30 minutes before the show.
2) JR played almost the whole show with the keyboard tilted (the keyboard stand broke during the solo in Ytse Jam),
https://youtu.be/1C49X6GjTis?t=186
3) During the second verse of BiTS somebody played something wrong (you can hear the whole section sounding off)
https://youtu.be/WHEsijaLMOs?t=444

Offline dparrott

L.A. a few years ago, James messed up some lyrics I think to Scarred.  He smiled, did a quick walk in a circle, then continued.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline (nothing)

https://youtu.be/INW0zneWv6k?t=6m31s

Haha I was there, had already started singing the verse in my head...