Author Topic: The Official "John Petrucci is a beast with his solos on The Astonishing" thread  (Read 2368 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
 :metal

This album shows me why he's my favorite guitar player. I'm not saying he's the greatest guitar player ever, but he's my favorite, and that's it. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Nothing to add to the thread title hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
*appreciates*

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
I think you could have dropped the ''with his solos on The Astonishing'' from the title, but that's just me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

This album shows me why he's my favorite guitar player. I'm not saying he's the greatest guitar player ever, but he's my favorite, and that's it.
I get that completely.

I think you could have dropped the ''with his solos on The Astonishing'' from the title, but that's just me.
Just being timely.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline V_R11

JP is always a beast
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
JP is always a bear

I think this would be a more accurate.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
He not only brings the goods guitar wise on this album, kudos to him for succeeding with this massive undertaking with the concept, lyrics, production, and everything.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
There was an interview on Ultimate Guitar with him the other day, where he detailed that one thing he did differently on this album was go back and do some fills after James had recorded the vocal, so that the fills could mirror or enhance the vocal.  He said he has never really done that before, but it felt right on this project.

I can think of a couple of places where that happens on this album, and they are very effective.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Without a doubt that would do wonders for the vocal melody. Now I have to listen closer to see where he did that, and how often. It's impossible to pick everything up, even after three or four listens.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
There was an interview on Ultimate Guitar with him the other day, where he detailed that one thing he did differently on this album was go back and do some fills after James had recorded the vocal, so that the fills could mirror or enhance the vocal.  He said he has never really done that before, but it felt right on this project.

I can think of a couple of places where that happens on this album, and they are very effective.

Fills? Are you talking about JP or Mangini here? Never heard of guitar fills. :lol
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
The solo on A New Beginning is pretty awesome.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
I'm guessing the section starting at 2:02 in Chosen is one of those 'fill' spots. There's a nice lead line going on behind the vocals.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Fills? Are you talking about JP or Mangini here? Never heard of guitar fills. :lol
Lead-ish type playing during a part of the song that is not a dedicated guitar solo section.  It's not a lead or a solo, so call it whatever you want.

Offline smegolas

there is definitely some spots where the vocals suddenly sound huge, sometimes backup harmonies or sometimes guitar fills, it all sounds awesome.

Offline Architeuthis

Some of his most smooth intricate playing ever, not to mention the melody lines. He makes the guitar sing to new levels!!!  :o
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5

Some of his most smooth intricate playing ever, not to mention the melody lines. He makes the guitar sing to new levels!!!  :o

He not only brings the goods guitar wise on this album, kudos to him for succeeding with this massive undertaking with the concept, lyrics, production, and everything.

Yeah.

*appreciates*

:iagree:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

The middle of Act of Faythe!

Every time I hear that section, I think how cool those little fills JP plays are and how he doesn't often do stuff like that.  Very cool, indeed. :tup :tup

Offline pcs90

Some of those "fills" would be in Act of Faythe, Chosen, and The Path That Divides...probably plenty of others too.

I think currently the solo in A Better Life is my favorite on the album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The solo on A New Beginning is pretty awesome.

It's way too short.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline erwinrafael

I love JP's solos in this album. Best for me would be Our New World. It's like a song in itself.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah.

*appreciates*

:iagree:

Me too.  Tasty, tasty solos and fills that not only are fun to listen to, but are fun to play.  He's very expressive on this album.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Petrucci is such a beast that even the word "beast" doesn't sufficiently describe his beastliness.  ;D
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
He sounds restrained without compromising the technical prowess we know and love.

He did such a hell of a job.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
He sounds restrained without compromising the technical prowess we know and love.

This.

My friend told me he didn't spot any crazy JP on this album that he loves.  It's there, just not the JP we are used to with the "metal" side of the soloing.  His guitar playing is fantastic though, the soft solos are just beautiful and really show off how great he really is.  Every song doesn't need the full out technical prowess.  He is definitely restrained, but for the better within the context of these songs.

Offline pcs90

Well said!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

I definitely get that feeling when I listen to his playing.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
JP sinks perfectly into the sonic landscape of The Astonishing. To me, it sounds like his guitar playing is tighter and cleaner on this album compared to the previous four. Once again his guitar tone has evolved while still being unmistakably him.

The album has restored my faith in the diversity of JP's style, especially on a song like "A New Beginning".
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.