12 (5.6%)
A Dramatic Turn Of Events
52 (24.1%)
Dream Theater
26 (12%)
The Astonishing
112 (51.9%)

Total Members Voted: 212

Author Topic: The Best RoadRunner Album ?  (Read 6818 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: The Best RoadRunner Album ?
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
I have no idea why any of the posters over the last couple of days are surprised that The Astonishing is winning.  The poll was originally done right after the album came out.  That's when all of these votes were cast.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
In other words, most of the votes were for the new album just for the sake of it being new, not necessarily the best.  It's suddenly all so clear now.  Thanks a bunch Hef.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:40 AM »
In other words, most of the votes were for the new album just for the sake of it being new, not necessarily the best.  It's suddenly all so clear now.  Thanks a bunch Hef.   :tup
:tup 

I mean, I'm sure plenty of people actually like it that much.  But the overwhelming nature of the vote outcome is most likely an element of "new car smell".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
I just voted for The Astonishing.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2017, 08:53:54 AM »
Mmm

-I like the balls that SC and BC had even though there's some cringeworthy moments.
-I like the music on ADTOE a lot and its diversity, a very tasteful blend between Images and FII.
-DT12 hasn't really aged well. I played it yesterday but found it a bit dull (there's 3 songs that I absolutely love)
-TA - I like it a lot with my custom playlist. As a whole, it fatigues me quite a lot.

I voted for ADTOE.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »
Yeah, whatever the newest album is when a poll like this is done has a bit of an unfair advantage.  That's just the way these things go. 

I think I would probably put them like this:

1.  Six Degrees
2.  SFAM
3.  ADTOE - I still love it, and I am still blown away that, so late in a band's career, they could put out something so consistently incredible from start to finish.
4.  DT12 - Picked up right where ADTOE left off.  Perhaps even MORE consistent than ADTOE, but the highs just don't reach quite as high for me.
5.  I&W
6.  Awake
7.  The Astonishing - I finally feel like I can rank this one.  Right now, I definitely listen to it more than any of the albums I rank ahead of it.  And I love it right now more than I did at release time.  But it has settled in enough that I realistically feel the six albums I rank ahead of it are just a tad stronger and that I enjoy them a tad bit more.
8.  Octavarium (nugget!)
9.  SC - On the strength of ITPOE, Forsaken, Constant Motion, and TDEN, this album gets a nod over one of the classics.  I might put it over Octavarium some days as well.
10.  FII
11.  TOT
12.  Black Clouds
13.  WDADU

So, yeah, TA at #3 of the RR era for me.

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
I find it hard to rank DT12 since it is a good album but I don't really like Surrender to Reason or Along For the Ride much and Illumination Theory is far from their best epic and that snare sound.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
ADTOE
DT12
SC
BCSL

TA
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline krands85

« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:26 AM »
ADTOE

TA
SC/DT12

BC&SL
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2017, 10:23:18 AM »
DT12
ADTOE

TA

BCSL
SC
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2017, 10:25:47 AM »
I'm looking forward to DT14 - hope the production is at least as good as The Astonishing and they don't go back to muddy, demo sounding ADTOE sonics.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 03:02:13 AM »
Yeah, whatever the newest album is when a poll like this is done has a bit of an unfair advantage.  That's just the way these things go. 

I think I would probably put them like this:

1.  Six Degrees
2.  SFAM
3.  ADTOE - I still love it, and I am still blown away that, so late in a band's career, they could put out something so consistently incredible from start to finish.
4.  DT12 - Picked up right where ADTOE left off.  Perhaps even MORE consistent than ADTOE, but the highs just don't reach quite as high for me.
5.  I&W
6.  Awake
7.  The Astonishing - I finally feel like I can rank this one.  Right now, I definitely listen to it more than any of the albums I rank ahead of it.  And I love it right now more than I did at release time.  But it has settled in enough that I realistically feel the six albums I rank ahead of it are just a tad stronger and that I enjoy them a tad bit more.
8.  Octavarium (nugget!)
9.  SC - On the strength of ITPOE, Forsaken, Constant Motion, and TDEN, this album gets a nod over one of the classics.  I might put it over Octavarium some days as well.
10.  FII
11.  TOT
12.  Black Clouds
13.  WDADU

So, yeah, TA at #3 of the RR era for me.

I'd like to know why you ranked Black Clouds as #12? Do you think it's so terrible?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Evai

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 04:25:24 AM »
1 - Astonishing
2 - SFAM
3 - Black Clouds - You guys are Mangini fanboys, this album rules  :yarr
4 - Octavarium
5 - Images
6 - Six Degrees I like the second disc a lot more
7 - Systematic Chaos
8 - Falling Into Infinity
9 - Awake
10 - Dramatic Turn - This album has grown on me a LITTLE bit, maybe it could be moved up a few places.
11 - DT12
12 - Train Of Thought (What the hell is Vacant even supposed to be anyway?)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 05:41:13 AM »
For this band my ranking changes a lot Right now I'd say:

1 SFAM
2 SDOIT
3 Octavarium
4 FII
5 SC
6 ADTOE
7 I&W
8 TA
9 TOT
10 DT12
11 BC&SL
12 Awake

But dude typing it make me so sad putting stuff like Awake not even in a Top 10. An Album like awake would be an undisputed top 3 Album for any other band. DT makes it hard for us. How can they  :P

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 05:52:07 AM »

A good touching song?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
I'd like to know why you ranked Black Clouds as #12? Do you think it's so terrible?
Nothing on that list is terrible.  It's just that DT has 11 better albums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »
1 - Astonishing
2 - SFAM
3 - Black Clouds - You guys are Mangini fanboys, this album rules  :yarr
4 - Octavarium
5 - Images
6 - Six Degrees I like the second disc a lot more
7 - Systematic Chaos
8 - Falling Into Infinity
9 - Awake
10 - Dramatic Turn - This album has grown on me a LITTLE bit, maybe it could be moved up a few places.
11 - DT12
What does anything in your post have to do with the thread topic? 

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:23 PM »
How is it possible 54% says TA? Really?

I guess I don't "get" that one yet. I voted DT12 but both SC and BCASL are close.

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2017, 05:30:03 PM »
For this band my ranking changes a lot Right now I'd say:

1 SFAM
2 SDOIT
3 Octavarium
4 FII
5 SC
6 ADTOE
7 I&W
8 TA
9 TOT
10 DT12
11 BC&SL
12 Awake

But dude typing it make me so sad putting stuff like Awake not even in a Top 10. An Album like awake would be an undisputed top 3 Album for any other band. DT makes it hard for us. How can they  :P

See, for me, the thing about Awake is JLBs voice is so incredible. And KM plays so different from Derek and Jordan. And there's no bad or filler at all.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2017, 06:43:16 PM »

I guess I don't "get" that one yet. I voted DT12 but both SC and BCASL are close.

Here's the answer.

I have no idea why any of the posters over the last couple of days are surprised that The Astonishing is winning.  The poll was originally done right after the album came out.  That's when all of these votes were cast.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Scottjf8

« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »

Here's the answer.

Yeah I read that after I posted . I'm such a noob

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
Nothing on that list is terrible.  It's just that DT has 11 better albums.

Indeed, I rank Black Clouds 12 as well. The album isn't bad at all, and TCOT is one of DT's best songs, but the whole album just feels aimless, as if they didn't know where to take it musically and just wrote heavy, long songs for the sake of it. Still, compared to any other band out there, this album is great.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2017, 03:58:17 AM »

Here's the answer.

I voted for TA back in the day and would do it again...

TA

DT12
ADTOE

SC

BC&SL

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2017, 06:29:14 AM »
Yep, it's still too early to accurately edge TA, but in time, I can see it topping the first two Mangini albums, for me anyway.

Amazingly, I am starting to like DT12 as much as ADTOE.  ADTOE's best two or three songs are better than anything from DT12, but DT12 is so freaking consistent (every song is an 8 or 9 out of 10). Nothing on ADTOE is bad, but I am still pretty bored with On the Backs of Angels, and while I like both Outcry and Lost Not Forgotten, neither get much play with me anymore. 

13 months later, I think I will take The Astonishing as the pick here.  Despite its flaws (disc 2 is a little spotty at times, and the story is kinda lame), it's musically so good overall that I can overlook them. 

As much as I loved ADTOE right after it came out and for a while after that, I find that I never listen to it anymore, except for a few songs which I'll randomly turn on here and there.   I think part of it is the sound of the album. It sounds so muddy that I get ear fatigue if I listen to too many songs from it in a row. 

DT12 has aged really well for me.  While nothing on it would be in my top, or even second, tier of favorite DT songs, I like everything on it a lot and it's a very consistent listen.  And I am fine with the sound of that one (I listen to the HD version, which helps).

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
I'd also back TA a second time if the poll were redone.

Offline legenden1

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2017, 06:02:21 AM »
TA still in the top for me as well. Blown away a year ago and the feeling remains. I think this record will get it`s true credit sometime in the future when new people catch on and the sceptics go back to it.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 06:56:11 AM »
TA still in the top for me as well. Blown away a year ago and the feeling remains. I think this record will get it`s true credit sometime in the future when new people catch on and the sceptics go back to it.

I so hope you're right. Us appreciators of TA are sadly few and far between. We must band together to withstand the negative forces.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2017, 07:27:41 AM »

I so hope you're right. Us appreciators of TA are sadly few and far between. We must band together to withstand the negative forces.

Yeah it's a bit annoying how some people are saying The Astonishing is ONLY winning because the album had just come out.

because people couldn't possibly enjoy that album THAT much :lolpalm:

Reminds me of when people say " Avatar was ONLY that successful because it was in 3D..." - Right. it made nearly $3bn . if you take 33% off for 3D sales ( roughly )

- It's STILL the highest grossing movie of all time...

Offline CoT67

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2017, 05:03:18 PM »
In terms of production (sound-wise):
BC&SL
SC
ADTOE
TA
DT12

Since I prefer how they used to sound pre-Chycki.

The albums as a whole musically would be like:
ADTOE
TA
DT12
BC&SL
SC

Even though I find the epics in both BC&SL and SC to stand above the rest. ITPOE and TCOT are both memorable, atmospheric songs that are hard to beat.
People in Tuscany are never going to lure you into their wine cellars and drown you in wine barrels, you know.
Or that’s what they’ll make you think.