Author Topic: The GNEA World Map...  (Read 1279 times)

Offline breaktheprisonwall

The GNEA World Map...
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:26:58 AM »
I apologize if this was talked about it one of the other threads, but I truly don't have time to read through 300 some-odd pages to find the answer.

What is the point of the world map? There are only a small number of places that are visited in the story (I mean, 25% of the thing takes place in Heaven's Cove alone), so I guess I'm having a difficult time in understanding why JP would have put so much effort into creating names for so many different places and taking the time (and money) to have an artist create the map the way it is shown on the website and in the album booklet. Is this something they're going to really dig into when the book (as mentioned by JP in the Reddit AMA) is released? 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
Re: The GNEA World Map...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:10 PM »
To be honest... I'd like to know, too. I guess it's more of a complement to the script of the album.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:42:34 PM »
Well, JP does want to expand on it too right? Like, I believe there's a novelization already in the works, and who knows what else? I guess he wanted to flesh out the artificial universe for the possibility of expanding it into other forms of media.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:44:31 PM »
He created a world for the album and it adds depth to the story and makes the future world come alive. I find it to be and a nice touch.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 10:52:35 AM »
Well, JP does want to expand on it too right? Like, I believe there's a novelization already in the works, and who knows what else? I guess he wanted to flesh out the artificial universe for the possibility of expanding it into other forms of media.
If there is a novel, I'd love to know who they tap to write it. I'd so read this story in book form. :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:37:18 AM »
I was wondering the same a couple of days ago. I guess the rest of the places in the map are relevant to the story in some way or another, and will be referenced in other media later (for example: if there's a videogame, maybe you have to travel to the Silver Head Mountains?; or in a book, there are other characters who live in Fort Truth?).

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »
"In this dramatically redefined landscape, what was formerly known as the Northeast region of the United States is now a new super kingdom called G.N.E.A. or The Great Northern Empire Of The Americas."

Taken from the track description of The Gift of Music :) It indeed is reminiscent of the New York region but not an exact copy. The random places is probably just John being his nerdy self.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
I think any rendition of TA that does not involve music will be a waste of time and effort on the band's behalf.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.