Author Topic: RIP Maurice White  (Read 955 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
RIP Maurice White
« on: February 05, 2016, 01:40:08 AM »
Another legend gone sadly! I will always treasure what you did with/for Earth, Wind and Fire and all the songs you wrote.

RIP Maurice
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:54:52 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Polarbear

Re: RIP Maurice White
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 02:02:11 AM »
2016 sucks so far...

R.I.P Maurice, time for me to spin some Earth, Wind and Fire.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 03:59:09 AM »
Not a big fan or anything, but this guy was a boss, he was super fucking cool.  RIP Maurice.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 09:54:43 AM »
RIP - too many music greats leaving us this year.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
I caught them live about 5 years ago and it was an amazing show. This guy killed it. What a musician.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
Earth, Wind & Fire is my favorite band of all time, and Maurice White was a musical genius. It's sad to see so many great musicians pass every year, especially as a fan of black music from the 70's.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 07:59:06 PM »
RIP.

Earth Wind and Fire were a fantastic band. Such good players. I think Maiden\Derek Riggs stole the Powerslave album art from them lol.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 08:13:15 PM »
I love Earth, Wind and Fire. To paraphrase their words, As we discover changing times, we must have the strength to endure. Rest in Peace.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »
This man more or less wrote the soundtrack to my youth/teenage years. Other then being a great musician, vocalist and showman, he was a man with a vision. Rest in Peace.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Calvin6s

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2016, 10:48:15 PM »
Earth, Wind and Fire were part of the soundtrack of my youth.

Because I was very young, I couldn't pin point which song caught my attention first, but I'm betting it was the Beatles cover of Got to Get You Into My Life.  The stabs were golden and I'm betting I'd dance around and throw out the jazz hands during those stabs when I was 4 or 5.

My guess is September and Shining Star were their biggest hits.  Throw in Let's Groove and you have the EW&F songs in my 5 star library.

Thank you Maurice White for everything you've given me.  I truly believe the overwhelming joy I get from hearing one of your songs adds an hour to my life each and every time.

Calvin6s

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
This man more or less wrote the soundtrack to my youth/teenage years.

He must really be something special because I didn't even see your post until I was done with mine, yet it seems he touched our lives in the exact same manner.

They were kind of like 80s glam bands.  You might deny you liked them the decade after their prime, but eventually you couldn't deny them any longer and unapologetically tell your friends "damn right I like Earth, Wind and Fire."

Calvin6s

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Maurice White - A Celebration of Life

Warning.  If you loved Maurice's music, this will have you tearing up.

Beautiful tribute by Maurice's younger brother and fellow bandmate, Verdine White. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 05:12:42 AM »
Although they ended up sounding too smooth and glitzy, EWF started up as a fantastic Jazz/Funk fusionband. They found their own sound around ´73/´74 and if you really want a taste of how good they were live, listen to Gratitude or ´Alive in ´75´. Fantastic groove and melodies, vocal harmonies and horn playing. Things started going south when guitarist Johnny Graham left over money disputes. After Faces/Raise, they were more or less a carbon copy disco band to my taste, especially after keybordist Larry Graham left and they changed their horn section. For a great read, try and get Philp Bailey´s book ´Shining Stars´.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....