Author Topic: Your thoughts with a tour just about The astonishing  (Read 10014 times)

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
Your thoughts with a tour just about The astonishing
« on: February 04, 2016, 09:24:41 PM »
Hi everyone.  We're all excited about the new album.  I haven't listened to it completely but it looks fine.  There's a lot of ballads, I will see later if I am really digging it.  But I'm not sure about the fact they are going to play only that (the new album) in concert for this tour.  It's always great to hear the classics.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Your thoughts with a tour just about The astonishing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »
I won't see them on it, but I think this tour will be awesome. Nothing but the new album. They play a ton of old songs all the time, so one tour with just the new album is fine.

Offline mooshinator

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 09:43:44 PM »
I'm torn.  It's definitely an interesting and cool idea, but they will really need to have some impressive acting / visuals / lighting / etc... to bring the audience through the slow parts.

Also, I think it will be hard to attract new folks to this tour.  I mean, I will definitely see it because I'm a huge fan and this album is growing on me a lot.  But going back to the last 2 tours, I was able to get friends / family to go see the concert with me even though they weren't fans because there was still a big "metal" feel to the concert.  With this upcoming tour, I feel the urge to warn people "hey, you know, there are a lot of power ballads and slow parts and nothing you'll be remotely familiar with, so just keep that in mind..."

I'm not personally complaining, but I fear it's not going to be a particularly accessible concert for non die hard fans.

Offline Dirty30

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 09:59:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing The Astonishing live, so much so that my wife and I are building a vacation around it. I'm interested in seeing the video effects. I'm hoping the concert is accompanied with a 'movie' which will lead the concert goer through the opera. I think by showing the character who is singing on the screen is the only way those who haven't taken the time to learn the album could follow the show.  The release blew me away and hopefully the live show with also.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:00:27 PM »
For this particular album, I think what they are doing is perfect. It wouldn't make sense to only play part of it and then play some classics. I just hope they extend a few sections or add a few extra instrumental parts...kind of doubt it though.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
I love the idea of what their intentions are with this tour.  I really wish more bands, nowadays, would take more chances with their setlist as oppose to relying on their "hits" or to them, their biggest album.  To me, the closest I see where bands I see ever really go outside of the box with the setlist was Rush and Iron Maiden (Rush with their Clockwork Angels tour set and Iron Maiden with the shows they did for A Matter of Life and Death where they played the album in full).

The way I see it, I trust DT very much to give the fans, that are going to see these shows, something very enjoyable and memorable that will not be replicated again ever, years from now. Right now is the only chance, they are going to do something like "Dream Theater presents The Astonishing Live" and who knows if they have another chance to do something like that, and I'm pretty sure those that are not going only because DT are not going to play Metropolis or Pull Me Under or The Spirit Carries on, etc. are going to miss something special, I feel imo.

I'm sure the tour after this, though, they are going to back to maybe a more standard tour with a few new songs from whatever new album they are going to have, some staples songs, and some of the bigger tunes among the fans and that's fine, nothing wrong with that.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:01:51 PM »
I'm torn.  It's definitely an interesting and cool idea, but they will really need to have some impressive acting / visuals / lighting / etc... to bring the audience through the slow parts.

Also, I think it will be hard to attract new folks to this tour.  I mean, I will definitely see it because I'm a huge fan and this album is growing on me a lot.  But going back to the last 2 tours, I was able to get friends / family to go see the concert with me even though they weren't fans because there was still a big "metal" feel to the concert.  With this upcoming tour, I feel the urge to warn people "hey, you know, there are a lot of power ballads and slow parts and nothing you'll be remotely familiar with, so just keep that in mind..."

I'm not personally complaining, but I fear it's not going to be a particularly accessible concert for non die hard fans.

How about pulling general rock fans, instead of the traditional metal heads?

If only I am in an area remotely close to the TA tour, I would watch it, especially since they are having the first show on my birthday.

Offline mooshinator

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:44:59 PM »

How about pulling general rock fans, instead of the traditional metal heads?

If only I am in an area remotely close to the TA tour, I would watch it, especially since they are having the first show on my birthday.

Sure, that works.  I hope as much as anybody that they can pull this off!!  I'm a bit skeptical, but would be happy to be proven wrong! :)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:24:52 PM »
This is such a special occasion that I will be seeing the show twice.

The first time with a friend who is a big fan of the band. The second time I will be bringing my son who likes a couple of songs here and there but has not really become a fan, yet. It's more like bringing him to a musical than to a rock concert.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:22 AM »
It could be fun if they did an Evening With again so that the 3rd hour could be an encore with some classics to keep fans happy. But honestly, I really don't have an issue with the way the roll - this is a gigantic concept album, and whether certain fans specifically like it or not, a concept album of this size deserves to be played in its entirety at some point. At least they're upfront so if you didn't like TA you can skip it, and maybe the later legs will be more dynamic.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:40:57 AM »
I think it's an awesome idea and one that really shows their confidence in their new stuff. I love it when bands do stuff like this, and since they've already done this with the Scenes album, it feels appropriate.

However, while I think Astonishing musicially is one of their very best works, I've never been very impressed with the graphics and the videos they've shown so far. It's very low budget and even amateurish, so I'm a bit scared it will come across that way live too. But I'll guess we'll see. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 01:42:54 AM »
I don't think we loose anything by them only playing The Astonishing live at this point in time. The time is now for them to play it, was always gonna happen. The way I see it, if DT were feeling obligated to play certain classics or older material for the sake of it, we'd actually be loosing out on The Astonishing. They can play 'regular' sets any other time.
It's very likely people are going to be asking for TA in the future but we're only ever gonna get medleys and abridged passages of it after they're done playing it entirely. A similar thing has happened with most of the 'epics' too, they got their time on their albums' respective tours, and rarely came up again.  I mean we haven't heard Octavarium or In The Presence Of Enemies since their albums' tours, something tells me we may not see Illumination Theory for a while either.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:51:29 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:04:43 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing The Astonishing live, so much so that my wife and I are building a vacation around it. I'm interested in seeing the video effects. I'm hoping the concert is accompanied with a 'movie' which will lead the concert goer through the opera. I think by showing the character who is singing on the screen is the only way those who haven't taken the time to learn the album could follow the show.  The release blew me away and hopefully the live show with also.

If my friend backs out, my wife will go to Cincy with me.  I printed off the song narratives and gave her the lyric book with character photos to get familiar with the story.  I will suggest she take the music in order with 4 or so songs at a time.  I have a feeling she may end up liking the show more than myself.

I hope to someday see DT perform a regular set, possibly in Atlanta.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 04:51:30 AM »
It has been said before by others, but I do not think this is a substitute for their regular tours. It is a special occasion, a limited theater tour. The theater tour is in a far more limited amount of countries, often with several evenings in the same venue. This album is really different than their other work, and I think this small tour fits the idea behind the album perfectly.

I know this is not applicable for many other countries, but DT visited the Netherlands plenty over the last few years. A regular show with opener, extensive evening with shows, festival performances, and rock opera theater shows. And I am sure they will return with non-TA songs relatively soon. I like that each time I see them the format is different (with little song overlap), making each performance memorable in it's own way.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 06:48:31 AM »
I'm really looking forward to it, curious about the audience, though.  This may sound silly but is this supposed to be more like going to an opera or a musical in which there's no applause between songs, just at the end of each act ?  The standard DT fans who are standing most (or all) of the show, with raucous applause after each song (or even solo) or the more musical type which is all seated and applause only after an act.

I'm very curious how things will go in this regard.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 06:57:56 AM »
I'm really looking forward to it, curious about the audience, though.  This may sound silly but is this supposed to be more like going to an opera or a musical in which there's no applause between songs, just at the end of each act ?  The standard DT fans who are standing most (or all) of the show, with raucous applause after each song (or even solo) or the more musical type which is all seated and applause only after an act.

Well, at The Theater Equation last year the huge applause went off after each song, after both acapella parts and and sometimes after solos too. I think this will be the case here too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 07:04:08 AM »

Well, at The Theater Equation last year the huge applause went off after each song, after both acapella parts and and sometimes after solos too. I think this will be the case here too.
I do too, it could be somewhat disrupting to the show, though, with such short tracks.  It will be interesting, for sure.  2/18, I believe is the opener, definitely looking forward to the reviews.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 07:06:29 AM »

Nah... pretty sure it's going to be a DT show like all the others. Everyone standing, bobbing their heads and contorting their bodies to all the random time changes as best they can whilst singing along and going nuts at the end of each song. 23 years and it never changes.

You can always tell who's listened to the songs a lot and who hasn't by how well they move with the music  :biggrin:

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 07:11:51 AM »
I'm also curious to find out what the "etiquette" will be at the theatre shows. Will people be standing/applauding throughout? Will folks be singing along or just listening quietly?

It would be pretty funny if everyone did the "Three Days laugh" together..

I'll tell you in 2 weeks' time..  :biggrin:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 07:12:40 AM »
Excellent, I can't think of any other DT material that I wanna listen to this tour.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline emtee

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:07 AM »
The album was a huge risk and the tour will be the same.

-JLB makes it or breaks it. 
-All new material with a giant production could be tricky for the crew and band.
-A certain portion of the fan base won't want to attend w/o any old material.
-Has the potential to be EPIC if everything works well and JLB is on his game.

This is the kind of show that needs tons of rehearsals to flesh out the bugs and get in sync. They are all among the best at what they
do and if they can pull these shows off I think it will be a big success.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2016, 07:21:30 AM »
Re: Your thoughts with a tour just about The astonishing.
Not even remotely interested.

I am complaining.  Maybe I'm not the die hard fan I thought I was, but DT is killing me.  The last really good thing I heard from them is Breaking All Illusions and that is their best song since SDOIT.  Don't have a clue WTF is going on with this band.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2016, 07:34:37 AM »
Counting down the days until the Baltimore show. Cannot wait to behold this masterpiece live!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
This is the kind of show that needs tons of rehearsals to flesh out the BUGS and get in sync. They are all among the best at what they
do and if they can pull these shows off I think it will be a big success.

NUGGETZ, as they say around here..  :lol

Offline emtee

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »
last 2 posts sum it up.

Hell no.
Hell yes.

Not sure DT ever put themselves in that position before.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 07:39:27 AM »
I agree that it likely won't be the most accessible tour for them, but I can understand the band wanting to take a break from playing the classics, which they've played on nearly every tour since they first started, 30 years ago. I think they deserve a break. This album is over 2 hours long. With a break for the band and the overtures (which may or may not be a pre-recorded ST type thing, like their last tour) I think they've definitely got enough material for an "evening with" tour. Don't forget that there are sections on this album that can be extended solos.

I'm sure there's a lot of work going into the production for this tour, all centered around the story. Anything beyond the story would feel incongruous.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 08:46:53 AM »
Personally, I'm a little disappointed that it's only going to be TA in its entirety. This is going to be my first DT show, so it would have been nice to hear a few classics in an encore. I still think the show will be good though, especially if they go all out with the visuals.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »

Also, just to point about that people very much applaud and cheer between songs in musicals. Opera, not so much, but this album isn't really an opera, it has far more in common with musical theatre. So yeah, applaud away!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
I love the idea and that they don't half ass anything about the whole concept; planning the story a year ahead, doing a double album released after a 3 months marketing campaign, the whole album performed live with stage production... I'm excited to see something so different and unique, surely never to be repeated again!

Yeah, an encore of 2-3 classics would round up the evening just fine, but it makes sense to play only the album. Hard to play 2 hours+ of music, ending with Astonishing and play anything that doesn't sound like an anticlimax.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonGuitar

• Student of Shred
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 01:24:49 PM »
This is my first time seeing DT live, so I'm a little mixed. I think it will be amazing in its own right, and I have faith that it will be epic and theatrical. I will most likely thoroughly enjoy it, and I'm not sure there is an acceptable way to listen to the Astonishing without hearing it in its entirety... But, I am sort of disappointed they wont be playing any classics. I am hoping for an encore with them playing some of the more classic stuff after they are done with TA, but still, its just an encore, not equal to a full set of their most popular stuff. So I really want to see them live again, on a more standard tour. The issue is, they barely ever come to the USA, it seems. I am having to drive 10 hours as it is to see this show.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
25 times I have seen them live since back in 1993. Was very happy and excited a few weeks ago to get a ticket for the World Premiere of TA at the famous London Palladium but now......after hearing the album, the ticket is up for sale, can't sit through all that I'm afraid :(

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 03:42:17 PM »
I was considering seeing them for the first time but if they're only playing The Astonishing, I won't be going...unless I really fall in love with this album.

But yes, it would be lame if they put out a concept album and not play it in its entirety...so I understand why they want to do the whole thing. I think it will be successful.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Ive seen them around 10 times, this will be different and am excited to see just this album live.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 04:29:53 PM »
Well, to see James hop behind cardboard cutouts of the 'character' he is singing, will be worth the price of admission ;)

Seriously, I am going to guess if they are using three screens, one will have a picture of the character he is 'playing', specific lighting for each one, maybe even a specific spot on stage.  All to help us put things together.  As will a well done DVD down the road (that isn't directed by someone with the attention span of a squirrel).  Will enjoy the breaks provided by the NOMACs, the taped intros for Acts 1 and 2, along with the extended ending of 'A New Beginning' (crosses fingers).

I've been too old to stand for the last three tours.  At two of them, I was in the balcony, and the vast majority sat through most of the shows.  This time, I'm front row balcony, so I'd be on my butt 99% of the time regardless of what they were playing. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:04:27 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline robbob

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
Looking at the big picture regarding their history, I think it's great what they're doing. It is a bit of a risk, some die-hards may not go. But, I love that they're doing something different. Only listened to the first Act so far, sounds good, maybe a few too many ballads for me though.

I think the key like someone mentioned above will be 2 things. James has to be "on", because there is so many ballads and vocals. And, the video presentation has to be good.