Author Topic: Paranormal Experiences  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Paranormal Experiences
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
The title says it all. Has anyone here ever had a paranormal experience? Know of any haunted places that you won't go to because you know someone who had an experience there? I'm curious to hear some of these stories.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Paranormal Experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
I have a friend who works as a semi legit paranormal investigator... He's got some stories.

I, On the other hand, have only had one. Not too big of a deal though. Had a great uncle who'd drive from Indiana to California every year for Thanksgiving. One year he drove out, had a heart attack, wound up having a triple bypass done, started to get better, and then died. (there's a whole other story there)...

After that incident, we started to have a lot of strange "things" happen at my aunt's house (where he was staying before the heart attack.) The one I would experience was always the slamming of doors around the house. Mind you, these doors were on thick as fuck carpet, and it took muscle to actually close them. It scared the shit out of me at first, but then I realized what was probably causing it.  For a month, both my aunt and my dad had a bunch encounters, mostly just hearing him (both at the same time... not like one was going crazy or anything...)

My grandmother (his sister) also had some... incidents after he died but she was already being affected by Alzheimer's, so not sure if they were real or not. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:27:08 PM »
I've been to an abandoned/'haunted' mental institution, Dudley Town, and the Little People's Village. Got nothing out of them.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
I have two stories to offer, not so great but Mulder has been luckier than me in having these kind of experience.

First one, the only time I've seen an "UFO", as in, a flying object I could not identify. I was in our grannies' backyards with my cousin, as a young teen, and in the early evening sky we both saw a plane or whatever that had one fixed light at the centre, and two other lights on the side going distant and then receding, like if these lights were attached to the ends of wings that could symmetrically extend and then come back nearer the plane. Can't really imagine what kind of plane it was.

The other one, several summer nights when I was a kid I saw a shadow on the wall, swinging - it reminded one of those thingies you keep near the windows curtains to pull them up or turn them, anyway I had no such thing in my room, it was not hanging by the window, nor it was something outside. There was just this thing swinging with me seeing the shadow, and I never ever figured out what it actually was.

Oh wait, actually there's three. I went with work buddies into an abandoned asylum at night. No deep reason or satanic rites, just something different for the lulz (and an excuse for me to take pics). The asylum was deserted and it remained such the entire time we spent there (couple of hours after midnight) but as soon as we were entering, I hear a ball bouncing, you know, when you drop a ball and it bounces some times before it stops.

This freaked me out and left me in a state of unease for the whole night tour, even if nothing weird or strange happened. I was mocked for it, but later a coworker admitted he heard the ball bouncing too. Stupid ghost kids.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »
A guy in my band has a story we often joke about. A pattern of synchronised knocks from wthin different walls one time. Everyone else at home were doing other things. Still don't know what caused it. Neither of us actually believe it to be paranormal though, and until proven otherwise, I don't believe in any of this stuff.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:18:04 PM »
Where's that picture of the ghost from a few years ago? Theseoafs?

Unfortunately I personally haven't had any experiences. As I've gotten older, I've grown less interested in those topics as well.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Nope. Don't put any kind of merit into the supernatural or anything of the sort and think it's all preposterous. Great for media and halloween...that's about it.

My sister frequently gets spooked though and most recently and intriguingly has begun to think that when our (sweet, lovable) mentally deficient labrador stares off into space, she's looking at ghosts...
0.o
People's superstitions and the stemming beliefs from that are ever interesting...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:40:43 PM »
Nope. Don't put any kind of merit into the supernatural or anything of the sort and think it's all preposterous. Great for media and halloween...that's about it.

My sister frequently gets spooked though and most recently and intriguingly has begun to think that when our (sweet, lovable) mentally deficient labrador stares off into space, she's looking at ghosts...
0.o
People's superstitions and the stemming beliefs from that are ever interesting...

Spoil sport.

I approve! :clap:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:21:29 PM »
This thread is awesome

I personally have never experienced any and don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but at the same time, have an open mind. Regardless of that, I absolutely love ghost stories.

Now in my own life, my family swears up and down that my great grandmothers house is haunted. Long and the short of it, is in the late 60's, a marriage fell apart between the previous owners. The father one day just up and took the 3 kids and disappeared. The mother then hung herself in an upstairs bedroom.

Absolutely Every single family member that slept in that house claims to have experienced something. In the nights I stayed there, I didn't experience anything, but other's claimed to hear cabinets banging in the middle of the night, voices, whispers, and in the terrifying ass basement would be insanely cold.

Maybe I'm just too retarded to notice or wasn't paying attention, but they swore up and down that that house was haunted.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »
^ That stuff is really interesting because on one end...such a horrific thing undoubtedly already comes with a massive amount of malicious thoughts and for most people will put a bug in your brain even if there isn't any thought of the supernatural; it's just a horrible thing to happen and really sad. But compounding on top of that any superstitions, however slight, will double down and spread like wildfire if others believe as well.

Po: Ey, Ink asked!  :P

I should've probably asked before I wrote anything but if this is to be a thread where no one but believers are welcome, I'll shut my mouth. I'm sometimes harsh on anyone that is stout in their belief of ghosts and the like but I'm trying super hard to at least be respectful of the belief while still respecting myself and not being a pussy and sugarcoating my words simply due to someone being a sensitive Sally (and think I've done well thus far...a whole two posts!). The OP didn't sound like it was anything but asking people the open-ended question, even if they believed or not what they thought so I just want some clarification before I'm booed (...god damn it, pun not intended) out of the thread. I love discussion on this but it's one of those things that's very similar (and rightfully so) to a religious discussion (though not as in-your-face-srsbznss) in that I'm pretty sure no one here is going to be swayed by anybody's talk one way or the other, but people tend to get worked up over this stuff very easily. But it's still cool stuff to talk about. And I'll echo Phoenix by saying I do love the hell out of some ghost stories...I just leave them in the fantasy realm.

Anyway, respect, yo; I'mma let you talk ghost but I just hadta get that in. I got it in, yo. So you doos yous, yobroyoyo.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 07:02:07 PM »
And I'll echo Phoenix by saying I do love the hell out of some ghost stories...I just leave them in the fantasy realm.

This is exactly how I feel; I don't believe in the supernatural, but love ghost stories. It's like a magic trick; I know that there is some "secret" behind it, but am willing to suspend rationality for the sake of the spectacle, if that makes any sense. The intrigue behind the supernatural always makes for an interesting story.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:48 PM »
This isn't really Paranormal because I'm convinced that I'm dreaming but I guess I'll tell my story here.

When my mom and dad divorced my mom, little brother and myself moved into a townhouse that we rented. It was a corner townhouse in a quiet community and it was pretty nice. A few years of living there around the age of 15 I would start hearing people talking outside of my window. My window faced in the backyard, it was fenced off and the other two townhouses in our little block were vacant. It was usually one guy talking, sometimes there was someone else, 90% another man. They spoke perfect english which is important because my mom and all her friends are Lithuanian and speak broken english with a thick accent. Also the voices were very loud, not screaming but it sounded as if they were in the hallway rather than downstairs outside.

It was never frightening, I would lay in bed and listen to them talk but whenever I would get out of bed the voices stopped completely. There was no way that anyone from outside would've saw me in my dark room get up to stop talking which made me believe that I was simply dreaming. I could lay in bed and listen all night, the funny thing is I could never put on my finger on the exact thing they were talking about (another reason why I'm dreaming).

I moved to college and the voices followed me through the apartments. Even now, although rare, I'll sleep in my second bedroom some nights because the mattress is better for my back and I'll hear the same voices.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:43 PM »
Never had any paranormal encounters, but I don't believe in any of this stuff at all, so I always accept the mundane, reasonable explanation.

When I was young we rented this old house for a year (which got knocked down right after we moved out) while our current house was being built. My mother swears it was haunted, and she's talked with someone else who previously lives there who also thinks it was haunted.
Apparently things would happen like videos being all over the floor in the morning or whatever. Probably an animal getting in the house or wind or something. I was only 4-5 at the time we lived there, so I don't remember anything happening.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:35 AM »
^ That stuff is really interesting because on one end...such a horrific thing undoubtedly already comes with a massive amount of malicious thoughts and for most people will put a bug in your brain even if there isn't any thought of the supernatural; it's just a horrible thing to happen and really sad. But compounding on top of that any superstitions, however slight, will double down and spread like wildfire if others believe as well.

Po: Ey, Ink asked!  :P

I should've probably asked before I wrote anything but if this is to be a thread where no one but believers are welcome, I'll shut my mouth. I'm sometimes harsh on anyone that is stout in their belief of ghosts and the like but I'm trying super hard to at least be respectful of the belief while still respecting myself and not being a pussy and sugarcoating my words simply due to someone being a sensitive Sally (and think I've done well thus far...a whole two posts!). The OP didn't sound like it was anything but asking people the open-ended question, even if they believed or not what they thought so I just want some clarification before I'm booed (...god damn it, pun not intended) out of the thread. I love discussion on this but it's one of those things that's very similar (and rightfully so) to a religious discussion (though not as in-your-face-srsbznss) in that I'm pretty sure no one here is going to be swayed by anybody's talk one way or the other, but people tend to get worked up over this stuff very easily. But it's still cool stuff to talk about. And I'll echo Phoenix by saying I do love the hell out of some ghost stories...I just leave them in the fantasy realm.

Anyway, respect, yo; I'mma let you talk ghost but I just hadta get that in. I got it in, yo. So you doos yous, yobroyoyo.

It's not for me to decide who is allowed in a thread, obviously. This is more of a thread for people to tell their stories and discuss them. I don't want this turning into a debate about whether or not they exist, and for one reason only. That's borderline religious discussion which doesn't belong in a regular forum anyway. So, it's probably best not to incite argument about whether or not supernatural beings exist or not. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 06:01:45 AM »
Absolutely Every single family member that slept in that house claims to have experienced something. In the nights I stayed there, I didn't experience anything, but other's claimed to hear cabinets banging in the middle of the night, voices, whispers, and in the terrifying ass basement would be insanely cold.

Maybe I'm just too retarded to notice or wasn't paying attention, but they swore up and down that that house was haunted.

If someone expects/wants to experience a paranormal activity, they'll find a way for their brain to create one. I don't know anyone who's experienced such an event without believing in, or wanting to experience them first.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, at least not in the same way that other people do. But I don't think you have to believe in ghosts to believe in the supernatural, I have had some experiences that I cannot explain.

The first one was when I was about only about 13 or 14, still living in my hometown in Minnesota, and I think it was the first time I had one of my friends stay overnight,  I had the upstairs bedroom, and we both had to go to the bathroom, which was downstairs on the ground floor.
He went first, and after I went, as was crossing through the living room, I saw what I took to be my friend duck down behind a lounge chair or easy chair in the corner.
 I should also mention that he was a really "little guy" at the time, short enough and skinny enough that there would have been PLENTY of room for him to hide back there in that corner.
 I just figured he either didn't think I saw him, so he was going to sneak up behind me and try to scare me on the way up or back in the bedroom, so I thought I could turn the tables on him by quietly making my way back up and either hiding or pretending to be asleep, so I could be the one doing the scaring.
 But as soon as I got back up there, there was my friend sound asleep, dead to the world!
 At the time I just thought I imagined what I saw behind the chair, it didn't really scare me, I went to sleep shortly after, and forgot and didn't think about it for at least around 10 or 15 years.
 But after hearing about other people's encounters with the supernatural through various means such as TV, radio, and word-of-mouth, the memory of that night came back, which made me start to think that maybe I really did see something, and it wasn't just my imagination.

I've heard it said that it's not normal to remember your dreams, but in both of the last two apartments that I lived in I kept having dreams that I can't forget in which I couldn't escape the feeling of the presence of evil or demonic spirits. And in the case of the first one, I once had a dream where I was trying to "exorcise" the evil presence, and at one point I saw one of my SHOES floating in the air! Again, I want to make it clear that this was in a DREAM, not something I'm claiming to have really seen.
At another time in that same apartment I had a dream in which I was again asking Jesus to expel the demons, and what I can only describe as a "Scooby Doo Cartoon" version of a ghost (you know-kind of like a white sheet with a face...?...) reached out and grabbed me, which woke me up REAL quick!

However, in the LAST apartment I lived in a couple of things happened that can NOT be explained away as a dream. I usually work jobs that are second or third shift, and I was laying in bed mid-morning, probably unable to sleep because of neighbors making too much noise or any number of other reasons. Anyway, I was laying face down, more or less, when I felt something move VERY quickly under my chest, and then what I can only describe as I tiny fist or paw "punched" me on my chin or jaw. I never SAW whatever it was, and it didn't hurt, but it was hard enough that I definitely FELT it.

Not long AFTER that, I was AGAIN laying in bed in the post-sunrise morning, and I felt something like a small creature such as a rodent attack my foot with some tiny needle-sharp teeth and/or claws. But it only hurt for a few seconds, and it did NOT leave a mark!

So you all can believe whatever you WANT, but I have heard about and had too many experiences to say that there's nothing more to it than imagination or wishful thinking, especially since I did NOTHING to invite any of these things to HAPPEN!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 12:15:34 PM »
I've been to an abandoned/'haunted' mental institution, Dudley Town, and the Little People's Village. Got nothing out of them.
I was in Dudley town, and the thing that struck me as very eerie is as soon as we got into that area I was met with dead silence. The birds stopped chirping. You could hear a pin drop. Complete silence. Beyond that I experienced nothing. That though creeped me out. Never heard dead silence in the woods before.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 02:43:24 PM »
I'm mostly a skeptic and have never experienced anything mind-blowingly supernatural myself (though many people think my condo is haunted :p), but I've heard way too many weird stories to believe that everything can be explained away logically.
I think, as Chino said, people's minds will often find a way to experience something supernatural if that's what they expect. I think this is especially true when people are religious.
At the same time, I think there are sometimes things beyond our normal senses that some people may be more attuned to. Or animals. My cats are totally seeing shit I'm not :lol
But I do think highly intuitive people may be able to experience something others can't, whatever that may be.

Here is a weird one: I have now heard two stories from two different people about somebody who is dying seeing a dead person who they've never met before, and accurately describing that person they have never even seen a photo of. When dying people hallucinate I mostly just chalk it up to the stuff going on in their brain as the body shuts down, like a dying woman sees her dead dad sort of beckoning her. That's easily explained by science, especially if the person is religious and believes their loved ones are waiting on the other side. But give me a scientific explanation for a dying woman who sees her granddaughter's dead friend at the foot of her bed, wearing the article he died in, with no previous knowledge of this man. That really freaked me out.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »
Just thought of another one: my friend (who is in her sixties) had a friend who was dying 20 or 30 years ago of AIDS. There was a large group of people in the room as he took his last breath. Suddenly, a fucking bubble appeared out of thin air. Obviously, nobody was blowing bubbles at a dying/dead man's bedside. It came from out of nowhere and slowly made its way around the room to every person. I can't remember where it eventually settled down and popped, but this entire room of people witnessed it. How the fuck?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
A couple of months after my 16th Birthday I went to bed after watching Cheers on a Thursday night as per normal, as you do I tossed and turned side to side trying to get comfortable.
All of the sudden in the corner of the room, with the door behind it, I thought I saw my brother crouched there. I told him to get out of my room where this thing now turned into a mist that went up to the ceiling and spread across the roof line and promptly disappeared.
Of course I freaked out and ran out to my Mum (who was still up, Dad had gone to bed not long before me) in the lounge now after the shock had passed of what I had seen, I described it as my Nan (she had passed away about six years before) my Mum probably thought I was dreaming and told me, just go back to sleep.
Eventually I went off to sleep, with the covers over my head, the next morning I woke to hear my Mum telling my brother that she could not wake Dad up, I got up, the ambulance was called, Dad had passed away during the night, a few months shy of his 46th Birthday, so young.
As we waited on the coroner, Mum asked me again what had happened the night before, even today Mum has said if I had told her after Dad passed she never would've believed it, but because it was before she does believe..... what happened was over in less than about thirty seconds.

Some 14 years later I was living in an old house and woke up in the middle of the night, in the doorway of the room I could see a person standing there, it freaked me out I quickly went to turn on the lamp, and by the time I looked back the image was gone.
My heart was thumping in my chest, no more sleep that night, as I sat there, with the lamp left on I realized who I saw, I saw as clear as day, a lady in a white dress, long blonde hair, just staring at me. This bedroom is as black as night just how I like to sleep, and I saw her like it was the middle of the day.

I am curious about the experiences I have had. They have both been lightning fast. I don't go looking for these experiences if anything it does scare me, but I would say I do believe in paranormal experiences,

I have a cat that often looks over my shoulder, I have heard they see a lot more than we do. But I do believe my cat just does it to get me to turn my head, I am sure she says sucker and chuckles to herself when I fall for it...

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:39 AM »
Yes. Quite a few. The most intense was several months after my mother had a stroke that left her left side paralyzed and put her in a nursing home. I hadn't visited her in a couple of weeks because it was beyond my emotional ability to handle along with a couple-month-old baby and everything else that was going on in my life. I was traumatized by that place... anyway, I was driving one day and I saw my mother's disembodied head larger than life in my mind's eye all of a sudden and I nearly pulled over because it was so startling and I heard her voice speak into my head and tell me that she needed to know if she should keep waiting for me to come visit or if she could let go now, up to me. I told her that I couldn't handle seeing her like that and that she should go now and be with Dad and that it would be better for me. The next morning my brother called and said Mom had passed away.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 06:43:49 AM »
Another intense one: My dad died when I was four years old. Shortly afterwards I had a dream that I still remember to this day. I saw my Dad's work shoes (Senior Programmer at IBM - back then it was all suits and dress shoes) and the bottom of his work pants and as I looked up further it was all clouds surrounding him and I could barely make out his face. He told me that he loved me and that we should all take care of my mom. In my dream he was on the back patio. I woke up and found that I had been sleep walking, and somehow made my way to the sliding glass patio door and was quite upset to be taken back to bed. I was punching and kicking and very upset. I'm sure I thought my dad was really out there. Some might call it a dream, but if there is such a thing as a soul/spirit then I believe in spirits/ghosts. My religion tells me they're real and so does my gut. It's all or nothing - either there is no God, or souls/spirits/ghosts are a real thing. Whether some people can pick up on them is another matter but to me, it was my dad's spirit saying goodbye for now.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »
The hotel I work at is over a hundred years old, and has many, many ghost stories tied to it, the most famous being Tim Duncan of the Spurs eerie encounter here...

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/nba-spurs-ghosts-hotel-tim-duncan

There was another time I sat with a customer who powerdrank about four shots after hearing a ghost in her room, she was quite shaken and clearly scared as  fuck. Real or not, what she experienced was real to her.

Saying that, after almost twelve years there, and spending a few nights as well, I have yet to experience anything.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 08:14:34 AM »
I don't want this turning into a debate about whether or not they exist, and for one reason only. That's borderline religious discussion...

It may not seem it, but this IS on topic.   I don't think the discussion about "is" or "is not" is a religious one, necessarily.   I'm sure there are correlations, but they aren't the same.  I believe in God, but I bristle at the notion that somehow I am therefore believing in "magic" or "ghosts".   

I don't have anything specific like a floating bubble (but that story is cool as shit, if true), but I do believe strongly that there is far more out there than we as humans can detect with our limiting sensory input devices.   I believe people have a spirit, that doesn't die when the physical body dies, but beyond that, I know nothing more than anyone else here.   

To me, it's like rap music.   Everyone and their brother thinks that by just putting words that sound alike in a certain cadence, you're "rapping".  Well, I think Eminem and Ice Cube would have issue with that.   Likewise, there are a LOT of coincidences that get passed for "paranormal" by people that just want to believe so badly that they HAVE to have a story to tell.    That there are bad rappers doesn't, though, mean that Eminem sucks or has no talent.   That some people make things up or mischaracterize things, doesn't mean they don't exist.   

Personally, I have no grand stories to tell, but I honestly and truly believe that my life has been impacted by people in my life, but after they have passed.  Call me whacked if you wish, and I don't let it 'run' my life; I don't abdicate reality over this, but I do believe it.

(By the way, coincidentially - or IS it???? - I went with my wife to see Angelina Diana this weekend.  Very interesting stuff...)

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »
I don't want this turning into a debate about whether or not they exist, and for one reason only. That's borderline religious discussion...

It may not seem it, but this IS on topic.   I don't think the discussion about "is" or "is not" is a religious one, necessarily.   I'm sure there are correlations, but they aren't the same.  I believe in God, but I bristle at the notion that somehow I am therefore believing in "magic" or "ghosts".   

<snip>

I believe people have a spirit, that doesn't die when the physical body dies, but beyond that, I know nothing more than anyone else here.   

Just wanted to note that my post may have come off rather matter-of-fact when I spoke of religion and spirits etc, but I just meant that - for ME - part of why I believe is because I personally find those things to be connected. I mention it as an explanation for my own belief rather than trying to argue why others ought to believe as I do. My beliefs have changed as I"ve grown, and I went through a large period of time not believing during my adult years. There simply came a time where things changed for me again.

Anyway. Just wanted to make that clear. I have no desire to change anyone's belief system. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 09:29:47 AM »

<snip>

I believe people have a spirit, that doesn't die when the physical body dies, but beyond that, I know nothing more than anyone else here.   

Just wanted to note that my post may have come off rather matter-of-fact when I spoke of religion and spirits etc, but I just meant that - for ME - part of why I believe is because I personally find those things to be connected. I mention it as an explanation for my own belief rather than trying to argue why others ought to believe as I do. My beliefs have changed as I"ve grown, and I went through a large period of time not believing during my adult years. There simply came a time where things changed for me again.

Anyway. Just wanted to make that clear. I have no desire to change anyone's belief system. :)

No clarification needed by me.  I don't know if I was clear or not either, but I TOO think they are connected; I was just making the point that they don't have to be. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
In 1984, we moved into the very same house that my mother grew up in.  Since then, my parents have both said a number of times that they've seen the ghost of my aunt's ex-husband Frank, who is long since deceased.  They've tried speaking to him, to no avail.  They and my niece have also both indicated that they've seen the rocking chair in the living room start rocking all on its own, without any help from outside wind or drafts or anything.

I have not seen any of these things, and God willing, I never will.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
In 1984, we moved into the very same house that my mother grew up in.  Since then, my parents have both said a number of times that they've seen the ghost of my aunt's ex-husband Frank, who is long since deceased.  They've tried speaking to him, to no avail.  They and my niece have also both indicated that they've seen the rocking chair in the living room start rocking all on its own, without any help from outside wind or drafts or anything.

I have not seen any of these things, and God willing, I never will.

I'm only picking on your post because it's the most recent. I've heard so many stories about events like the one that's bolded. I had a boss used to tell me about how ghosts would rearrange her furniture while she was out of the house or wrap the pull chord of a basement light around the bulb. I've had a friend say things like items on their shelves would be rearranged while they slept and the knives in the kitchen's knife block would be moved around to different positions. I knew a lady that claimed on important days she'd wake up to find that a ghost would lay out the outfit that would be the most successful for the day.

My point is that many people seem to believe not only in ghosts, but that they are in fact able to exert forces and manipulate objects in the real world. Why do they always do something like rock a chair or move something on a shelf? Why not pick up a pen and write me a note? If you're able to manipulate matter, actually communicate with me. If I had something moving multiple pieces of furniture when I left the house, I'd be setting up a trail camera.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:46:46 AM by Chino »

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 10:33:17 AM »
I don't know.  It's very possible that it's against the rules laid out in the Handbook for the Recently Deceased.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 10:33:33 AM »
Maybe ghosts are just assholes who like to mess with people.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »
I don't really believe in ghosts or anything like that. HOWEVER

When I was a kid, maybe 8 or 9, my dad had a music room. At one point, he wasn't using it for music much, and even though I wasn't the oldest of me and my brothers, my parents let me relocate there and have my own room (maybe because I was the tidiest?). Several times, I had weird dreams (let's assume they were dreams) where I seemed to have woken up in the night and there was an old man sitting at the end of the bed watching me. Didn't say anything about it to anyone.

After a wee bit, my older brother kicked up a stink that, being the oldest, he should have his own room. My parents agreed, and we swapped. One day at breakfast, he asked my mum if anyone had visited us late last night, because he vaguely remembered half waking up and there was an old man he didn't know in the room.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
Oh, another thing. Though this isn't really paranormal, just creepy.

To put it in as few words as possible: in my teens, for about a year, a year and a half, a creature was hunting me in my dreams.

I'd be having a normal dream, and I'd reach a point where I would become aware of the presence of this thing. It was always hiding out of sight, around a corner or behind the fridge or something, but once I approached it, I somehow knew it was there waiting for me. I would suddenly become aware, in the dream, of various past dreams in which I had met it, and it had killed me, and I knew there was nothing I could do to get away from it. At the stage that I could remember these dreams even after waking, my response was to yell terrified abuse at the creature, and then it would run out and start feasting on me, and I'd wake up. For some reason, even though it ran right out in front of me, I could never see it, what it looked like. All I could ever see was a black haze.

Eventually, a night came where I encountered it, it attacked me, and as it did, I finally saw it, and even recognised it. I woke up with this big jolt and was like, "I REMEMBER, IT WAS...", and I couldn't remember anymore. After that, the creature left me alone.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 12:37:12 PM »
My ex's family raises tables. I have not come to the full conclusion regarding the veracity of it but it does seem legitimate. I would go so far as to say that there's no way a table can be tilted that far by one's hand alone. It's intriguing. I've actually thought about breaking out the Ouija board again. I've had interesting experiences just from that alone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »
For many who believe in "the other side", dreams are very integral to that connection. 

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
My ex's family raises tables. I have not come to the full conclusion regarding the veracity of it but it does seem legitimate. I would go so far as to say that there's no way a table can be tilted that far by one's hand alone. It's intriguing. I've actually thought about breaking out the Ouija board again. I've had interesting experiences just from that alone.

I had too many negative experiences with my Ouija board in the house after using it too much as a teen. I gave it to a boyfriend who put it in the trunk of his car and forgot about it. We broke up and a year or two later became friends and he eventually returned it to me, except the indicator was missing. The weirder thing was, there was what appeared to be a burn mark in the shape of the indicator and size exactly burned into the board when I got it back. Once I got it back things in my life got more and more chaotic, and I again packed it away and forgot about it. I guess my mom put it in a box of my things and held onto it for the next 20 years or so because after she died I ended up coming across it and for whatever reason once again my life became a living hell in ways I'd rather not detail, but in the end I burned that thing - which is the LAST thing you're ever supposed to do with them.. but I wanted it gone. I can't say life's gotten any better or easier since. This story lacks credibility when typing it but has far too much when living it. Anyway, all this to say - be careful and think twice. Either real and it doesn't matter if you play with it (but why bother?), or it's not and you should take real precautions and treat it with the respect it deserves if it is in fact real.

IMO.

I'm old, I'm a mom, I worry, what can I say.