Author Topic: Live dvd?  (Read 15481 times)

Offline Ganjalf

Re: Live dvd?
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2016, 02:17:51 AM »
It should be obvious that there will be a dvd/blu-ray with the entire thing live, with an orchestra. But on second thought i think it's a financial question to be honest. First of all this album and the tour must have been really, really expensive to make. Full orchestra and choir on the album conducted by david campbell, playing mostly 1500-2000 seat venues with expensive visual presentation. And on top of that they already did an orchestra/choir blu-ray on the last tour, PLUS they're making a goddamn "The Astonishing" smartphone-game... (yeah, i'm really looking forward to this... game..) So yeah, a blu-ray of the show should be obvious but it's still fully questionable as to whether it would be possible for them to do.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2016, 07:00:58 AM »
I get what you are saying, but I think a filmed concert is a much better investment by DT than a book or video game based around TA.  I'd imagine no orchestra/choir though because I think we would have known about that by now right?  Unless they are going to do this at a yet to be announced concert after this tour?

Offline shadystraz360

• Shadystraz
  • Patch designer with Space4Keys.
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
I'd love to see the show again... Saw them in London in Feb 19th... Absolutely stunning, and I want them to come and play the album again... Especially since the NOMAC wasn't working, so they should play again as an apology hahahaha...

Will be great to have this album Live though.. CD/DVD would be ASTONISHING
Solo Album in the making.....

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
To me there is no point filming the show without the orchestra and choir. It would probably be their greatest spectacle yet, it would be huge!

And look, we now know that this tour is going on through 2016 to 2017 so there's plenty of time to announce a one of show with all the bells and whistles. And bagpipes.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »
Also, this first round of concerts may help them to decide the better venue to film this in, either for the acoustics or the look of the place.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
True about both of the above.  I hope they do it, I mean, it makes a lot of sense.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
I can't see them not filming a show with an orchestra. But where will that be?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »
Either with or without an orchestra would be fine.  Although an orchestra and choir would be an obvious fit for a live video this tour, it would not surprise me if they didn't do that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 10:24:54 AM »
The orchestra and choir would have to learn a shit ton of material before the show. It's not Score or BTFW, where they had to learn 1 hour of material or something to that extent.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 10:28:40 AM »
Good point.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 10:45:23 AM »
The choir seems more problematic than the orchestra. The orchestra will have plenty to do, and if Score is any indication they'll make up busy work for them when they don't. It sounded to me like the choral parts on TA required a pretty big choir. Not Carmina Burana or anything, but bigger than Theresa Thomason and 7 other gals, and their parts are scattered about fairly sparsely. I wouldn't mind seeing it, a massive choir is a sight/sound to behold, but I think it'd be hard to really pull it off in a way that justified the effort.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 12:10:04 PM »
Today is 10 years since Score was recorded. It would be interesting if they recorded the DVD at Radio City again roughly 10 years after last being there, but I believe we would know about it already.

Wasn't the DVD recording for Breaking the Fourth Wall announced a few months prior?
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 12:42:18 PM »
Wasn't the DVD recording for Breaking the Fourth Wall announced a few months prior?

I think so.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they will give advance notice of recording of any other shows.  Sometimes bands do; sometimes not.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:36:11 PM by bosk1 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »

I think so.  But that doesn't necessarily mean they will give advance notice of recording of any other shows.  Sometimes bands so; sometimes not.

True, for example Avantasia is filming tonight's show but they just announced it on facebook today.  Granted if they were going with an orchestra and choir I think we would be more likely to know beforehand since the band would have to arrange that and it's possible it leaks or the band lets the info out before hand, which if I recall is what happened with BT4W.

Offline ad78

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 01:34:41 AM »
In CT. James mentioned they are shooting DVD maybe they will release a mix tour.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 03:54:46 AM »
In CT. James mentioned they are shooting DVD maybe they will release a mix tour.

ooh nice. I legitimately didn't expect a DVD for some reason.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 11:08:45 AM »
I thought he said that they shot a video for one of their songs. Our New World?
But I don't think he said they were doing a DVD.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 01:20:25 PM »
Yea he was definitely taking about a music video in CT. But I think they need take a good break and let labrie rest his voice. He was shot during the CT show and I checked out some YouTube clips from other cities and he was still pretty off. Don't want that on a dvd

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 03:42:34 PM »
I know there is a lot of orchestra on TA, but do we really need another DT live DVD with an orchestra?  We already have Score and Breaking the Fourth Wall. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 03:48:05 PM »
Actually there may not be a live DVD based on the fact that Petrucci seems intent on presenting this like a touring musical...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2016, 11:35:32 AM »
Yea he was definitely taking about a music video in CT. But I think they need take a good break and let labrie rest his voice. He was shot during the CT show and I checked out some YouTube clips from other cities and he was still pretty off. Don't want that on a dvd
He was shot in Connecticut? I didn't think so. He wasn't at his very best, but I wouldn't say he was shot by any means.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2016, 11:53:08 AM »

I don't know what video you saw, but from my seat in CT, Labrie was killing it .

Offline CB

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Actually there may not be a live DVD based on the fact that Petrucci seems intent on presenting this like a touring musical...

For me that would be sad. I love TA because of the great music and presentation by my favourite band, but honestly I wouldn't watch it as a touring musical. I've heard and seen some very good musicals, in comparison I just don't think the story of TA is strong enough for that. I mean, comparing it to classics like Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, Man of La Mancha, Notre Dame de Paris and many others, to me it feels just a bit too shallow. And musical audiences are used to get all the important information about the story through the lyrics and action on stage, not having to read it on the internet (like the meaning of BUG or Daryus being deafened). Perhaps I'm just too old or not enough into SF, but that's just the way I feel. I still hope for a DVD, I wouldn't mind if there's no orchestra involved.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2016, 06:51:54 AM »
I know there is a lot of orchestra on TA, but do we really need another DT live DVD with an orchestra?  We already have Score and Breaking the Fourth Wall. 

I am in the same boat as you on this one. Haven't the last three live DVDs all had strings of some sort, at least for a couple of songs? I would actually prefer not to have strings for once. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2016, 07:11:06 AM »
I agree. After seeing the tour live, I'd want a DVD with just the band coming out and playing the album by themselves. I know not everyone likes the backing tracks, but I would like a DVD that represents the tour I saw, which was the five guys just coming out and playing. Besides, if the mix is done right it would be fantastic to mix the live performance in with the tracks they use throughout the show.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:07 AM »
Screw that, I want the DVD with an orchestra! If they even do one at all.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
I'd love to see DT go all out on a DVD for this tour. Give us a huge orchestra, a sizable choir, and actors on stage playing out a bunch of the scenes. If I could have seen this show performed a half dozen times, I would have. This album has moved way up toward the top of my favorite DT albums. The live version of it is effing amazing. I want to be able to see it again.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
I'd love to see DT go all out on a DVD for this tour. Give us a huge orchestra, a sizable choir, and actors on stage playing out a bunch of the scenes. If I could have seen this show performed a half dozen times, I would have. This album has moved way up toward the top of my favorite DT albums. The live version of it is effing amazing. I want to be able to see it again.

I guess maybe I say no orchestra because the 4th Wall left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth, the orchestra was kinda pointless and really unheard on the final product. If they did it right, giving the orchestra and choir, etc.. proper room in the final mix it could be great.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2016, 09:00:37 AM »
Agree on all points, 100%

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »

I guess maybe I say no orchestra because the 4th Wall left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth, the orchestra was kinda pointless and really unheard on the final product. If they did it right, giving the orchestra and choir, etc.. proper room in the final mix it could be great.

Well, no.
Only Illumination Theory was written with Orchestra and choirs in mind, the rest was just a gimmick.
IT had recording issues, so that was more of the venue and audio's fault than the orchestra itself.

The Astonishing is written in its entirely with orchestra, so it isn't just to add more, it's the way the album is written.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2016, 07:53:01 AM »
I don't know whose "fault" the issues were, or even if there were issues (did the band ever confirm that?). All I'm saying is that from a consumers perspective, the orchestra was kinda pointless in the final product I paid for because all I heard was the track from the record, not the live orchestra. That's all I'm saying, I agree IT was written with an orchestra and choir in mind (kinda obvious since they recorded an orchestra in the studio for the track).

So I'll say again, TA could work live with an orchestra, but the audio would have to be much better in the final product than BTFW. That's not hating on BTFW, I really like that DVD, its one of my favorites from the band, its only real downside for me was the lack of real orchestra in the mix.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:46 AM »
I don't know whose "fault" the issues were, or even if there were issues (did the band ever confirm that?). All I'm saying is that from a consumers perspective, the orchestra was kinda pointless in the final product I paid for because all I heard was the track from the record, not the live orchestra. That's all I'm saying, I agree IT was written with an orchestra and choir in mind (kinda obvious since they recorded an orchestra in the studio for the track).
I always thought the orchestra audio for BTFW was recorded from the concert.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
It's been discussed a bunch on this board, basically during the orchestra break in IT, it sounds like the track from the album and not the live orchestra.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
I think the orchestra did such a good job playing it, it just sounds like the recording. It was all live..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »
Okay, like I said it was discussed in detail when BTFW came out that the orchestra sounded exactly like the recording there, that's all.