Author Topic: Live dvd?  (Read 15478 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Live dvd?
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »
Sorry if this has all ready been mentioned, but I wonder if DT will be filming for a live dvd/blu Ray of The Astonishing in Europe or U.S. this tour??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Live dvd?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:42:29 AM »
I am not aware of them saying anything about doing one, but I would be shocked if they did not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
I would be incredibly surprised if we didn't get one with a full orchestra and choir.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:32:03 PM »
I would be incredibly surprised if we didn't get one with a full orchestra and choir.

I would be too.

A Dramatic Turn of Events rolls out:

"Mangini joined the band... there has to be a DVD to showcase him!"

Dream Theater rolls out:

"We play with the Berkley orchestra on the last song and encore... we have to film it"

The Astonishing rolls out, a massive double concept album and a rock opera with orchestra, choirs, whatelse and whatnot performed live in its entirety in beautiful theaters across the world:

"Nah, whatever"

Quite unlikely.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:42:07 PM »
The best part about it is that there's be no repeat tracks from past releases.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:57:19 PM »
Yea!! I think it'll happen! The scary question that remains is, at what point are they going to have a great album or tour where they don't make a DVD (like BC&SL) just because they've done so many? I fear that point, but I don't think this tour will be it.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
This tour really begs for a multi angle Blueray.....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:50:08 PM »
I'd imagine a blu ray that has the concert with cuts to the video that'll go along showing the story and then a bonus feature of just watching the video along with the live music.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:24:25 PM »
I'd imagine a blu ray that has the concert with cuts to the video that'll go along showing the story and then a bonus feature of just watching the video along with the live music.
That would be awesomen, perhaps with a making of TA album behind the scenes.
It think it might be wise if they are keeping quiet about filming right now, so it doesn't divert attention from actually going and seeing them on tour.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 10:37:21 PM »
I think the european tour is pretty much sold out now... a few tickets here and there left, so announcing that they will do a DVD would not really affect the tour.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 03:15:40 AM »
I'll go out on a limb and say that I'd love a DVD from this tour, but please, no orchestra this time around. They've already done that twice. This should be captured the way it is performed all around the world - no special different additions.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:23:49 AM »
I can see an interactive live/animation dvd, possibly with an orchestra and choir. But logistically this woud probably be hell to direct and record. Sort of like the live Operation Mindcrime dvd they put out. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 05:19:27 AM »
I kind of hope they don't do it with orchestra and choir. I'm kind of bored of that gimmick now.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 06:18:00 AM »
I kind of hope they don't do it with orchestra and choir. I'm kind of bored of that gimmick now.

It sucks because if there was a ever a live DT performance that warranted it, it's this one. I don't understand why they felt the need to have one on the last release.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 07:27:32 AM »
Octavarium was recorded with an orchestra, Illumination was recorded with an orchestra and choir, The Astonishing was recorded with an orchestra and choir... that's how those songs were meant to be heard.  I want that live on a blu ray, heck I want it live on tour even though I know that is not a reality. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
I think an Orchestra would be quite appropriate.  I surely don't see them playing with an Orchestra or Choir a "Gimmick"  It's how the music was written.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »

It sucks because if there was a ever a live DT performance that warranted it, it's this one. I don't understand why they felt the need to have one on the last release.

Because of the orchestration on Illumination Theory. 

I think an Orchestra would be quite appropriate.  I surely don't see them playing with an Orchestra or Choir a "Gimmick"  It's how the music was written.

Exactly.  If it is appropriate to the music, it is not a "gimmick." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 11:06:19 AM »
It occurs to me that this is going to be the first Dream Theater release EVER where Portnoy gets no royalties at all.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 12:08:20 PM »
I was gonna say something similar... If they did the orchestra and/or choir, it would be the 4th DVD in a row to feature that  :laugh:

But of all of them, it would probably be most appropriate. More-so than the BT4W one, which honestly sounds like we're hearing more of the pre-recorded track anyway (I could definitely be wrong about this though).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »

Yes and no. When bands decide to do that, they tend to go all in. So the orchestra is there for the parts that need it, then gets shoehorned into other places so they don't just sit around like a bunch of dorks. Parts of 8V and 6D certainly benefited from the orchestra. The rest of those songs had unnecessary orchestral parts added in and that is gimmicky. Then you get into Metroplis, and it was thrown in where it didn't belong to the detriment of the song.

If they're going to do it here I'd only be interested in the orchestra being faithful to the album, and that probably means having a bunch of people on stage for 2+hrs while playing only bits and pieces here and there. Otherwise it would be gimmicky.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »

Yes and no. When bands decide to do that, they tend to go all in. So the orchestra is there for the parts that need it, then gets shoehorned into other places so they don't just sit around like a bunch of dorks. Parts of 8V and 6D certainly benefited from the orchestra. The rest of those songs had unnecessary orchestral parts added in and that is gimmicky. Then you get into Metroplis, and it was thrown in where it didn't belong to the detriment of the song.

If they're going to do it here I'd only be interested in the orchestra being faithful to the album, and that probably means having a bunch of people on stage for 2+hrs while playing only bits and pieces here and there. Otherwise it would be gimmicky.

Well that's your opinion on Metropolis.  I personally think that's the best version of the song thanks to the orchestra, but agreed in the fact that it becomes a gimmick at that point, I just happen to enjoy it.

I would imagine they would be faithful to the album use of the orchestra and not add more, I mean, if they wanted to add more why isn't it on the album? 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I don't recall any orchestral parts on the album version of WIMH/TTTSTA? And I don't think many would consider it an asset to the song.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
I don't recall any orchestral parts on the album version of WIMH/TTTSTA? And I don't think many would consider it an asset to the song.

Eh, I can't speak to this because 6DOIT is really not my favorite thing by DT so adding orchestral moments doesn't add anything for me in that song.  I was mostly speaking in regards to Metropolis since I really enjoy the Score version of that song, I thought the added orchestration was great.  I also think for a song like that, a change is cool since they play that song all of the time.  My view on 6DOIT disc 2 is probably for the controversial opinions thread.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 02:36:23 PM »

The orchestra didn't play those songs on Score. They stopped playing after About to Crash and started back at Goodnight Kiss.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 02:42:19 PM »

The orchestra didn't play those songs on Score. They stopped playing after About to Crash and started back at Goodnight Kiss.
I don't have audio up here at work, but I watched the youtube video of it and they were hammering away at something back there.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 02:46:22 PM »

I don't have audio up here at work, but I watched the youtube video of it and they were hammering away at something back there.

Yea, they are definitely playing on those songs.  Now, I am not sure if they added parts to the song though, might have just played along with JR's parts.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
Hmm. I'll have to take another look at that. I thought I remembered them stopping during at least one of those two tracks. I've been wrong before.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline rab7

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:51 AM »
The best part about it is that there's be no repeat tracks from past releases.

This. As much as I love Metropolis and TSCO, there's too many live versions of them.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 04:17:38 AM »
Mmm one concern when filming this is going to be the intense lighting...must be hell to film through that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 11:52:54 AM »

Yea, they are definitely playing on those songs.  Now, I am not sure if they added parts to the song though, might have just played along with JR's parts.

Orchestra didn't play during WIMH at Score?
You kidding?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 08:29:21 AM »

Orchestra didn't play during WIMH at Score?
You kidding?
They did.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Freeze

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 09:33:24 AM »
After attending the last of the three Oslo shows last night , I surely hope they will film this show for a dvd/blu-ray release. The production was excellent , and begs for a visual document imo.

Offline CB

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 05:19:24 PM »
It might be difficult to capture everything on DVD, the band, orchestra, choir, light show, videos ... nevertheless I think they have to make a DVD of this show. Perhaps they should concentrate on the band/orchestra/choir and make the videos (with the live music) a bonus?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 11:51:36 PM »
It might be difficult to capture everything on DVD, the band, orchestra, choir, light show, videos ... nevertheless I think they have to make a DVD of this show. Perhaps they should concentrate on the band/orchestra/choir and make the videos (with the live music) a bonus?

I would like a multiangle BR where one of the angles would be showing the screens with DT in front. Not sure I would want just the video without the context.

Calvin6s

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 11:56:56 PM »
I assumed a live BluRay DVD from this tour was a given.