Author Topic: Albums like The Astonishing  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Thematt202

Albums like The Astonishing
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:00:20 AM »
Anyone know of anything like The Astonishing?  A lot of concept album bands are either too growly (Opeth, most modern 7/8 string metal), too bland/lacking epicness or melody (Stephen Wilson, Spock's Beard) or too power metal (Avantasia, Ayreon/Symphony X). 

The only other thing that I've found that really speaks to me like Dream Theater is Beyond the Bridge.  Too bad they've only done one album... 

Can anyone suggest something on these lines for me to try out? 

(No offense to fans of any of the above bands, no discourtesy intended!)

Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Albums like The Astonishing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
Check out "Six" by Mansun.

it's fucking mental.

But stick with it - it's a great album. Albeit weird as shit.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »
Check out "Six" by Mansun.

it's fucking mental.

But stick with it - it's a great album. Albeit weird as shit.

Wow, I remember this lot from my youth.  Totally not what I'm looking for though!
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:11:36 AM »
Steven Wilson lacks melody and Ayreon is too much power metal? Wow, I mean, if you don't dig their music, it's alright, but reading these statements I feel like we were listening to different Steven Wilsons and Ayreons.

I actually think The Theory of Everything by Ayreon is very much like The Astonishing, only loads better in execution and melodies.

Buy hey, yeah, Beyond the Bridge is perfect.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 11:13:01 AM »
some are more story driven than others, but I don't know how much that means to you

Flaming Row - Elinoire
Seventh Wonder - Mercy Falls
Aeon Zen - Enigma (the first part of the album seems to at least be linked, although I couldn't tell you the first thing about the story)
Headspace - I Am Anonymous
Savatage - Streets, Wake of Magellan, Dead Winter Dead
Shadow Gallery - Tyranny, Room V
Riverside - Out of Myself, Second Life Syndrome, Rapid Eye Movement
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime

Of course there are classics like Tommy, The Wall, etc
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:16:03 AM »
Steven Wilson lacks melody and Ayreon is too much power metal? Wow, I mean, if you don't dig their music, it's alright, but reading these statements I feel like we were listening to different Steven Wilsons and Ayreons.

I actually think The Theory of Everything by Ayreon is very much like The Astonishing, only loads better in execution and melodies.

yeah, not sure what is meant by "power metal".   I can see it in early Avantasia, but Ayreon isn't even close.
Winger would be better!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:24 AM »
Well, the first two albums by Avantasia are the very definition of power metal, yes. Later, starting with The Scarecrow, it's more hard rock / various genres of metal.

Also, all great suggestions. That's indeed a good list to start with.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 11:20:31 AM »
Ayreon can be quite cheesy, but miles better from most power metal I know at least :lol

Also, if you think SW is bland/lacks melody, then you haven't heard more than a few songs by him :P

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:23:52 AM »
Anyone know of anything like The Astonishing?  A lot of concept album bands are either too growly (Opeth, most modern 7/8 string metal), too bland/lacking epicness or melody (Stephen Wilson, Spock's Beard) or too power metal (Avantasia, Ayreon/Symphony X). 
Spock's Beard lacks epicness and melody?

Not sure what to say to help you out on this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
What about "Opposites" by Biffy Clyro ?

It's a double CD full of gorgeous ballads and out and out rockers.

Really great album.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:35:25 AM »

Really great album.
Not a concept album though, which is what the OP is asking for.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:36:59 AM »
Guys. The most important question is: who is "Stephen Wilson?"

Check out Quiet World by Native Construct, that might be similar to what you're looking for.

And Zero Hour's The Towers of Avarice is probably the best concept album in my opinion, though it tends more to the technical side of progressive metal than the melodic.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »

Really great album.
Not a concept album though, which is what the OP is asking for.

Good Luck :lol

I don't know of any concept albums...

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
Ok, perhaps my terminology/classifications weren't as great as they could have been.  Also, I'm not trying to disrespect any of the bands I mentioned, or their fans, so please try not to take my own subjective opinion personally.

Steven Wilson (ha, I got it right this time!) seems to be lacking the rock/metal sound that I enjoy in DT's music.  I'm looking for powerful guitar based music mainly with great chord sequences, good leads and catchy melodies.  This is why DT speaks so much. 

Avantasia is a little too much of a muchness.  The 180bpm double bass songs don't do a lot for me these days.  Mystery of a Blood Red Rose is great, however.

I've not heard that much of Spocks Beard and Ayreon, but both seem a little too old school and missing a lot of the grandeur of DT.  Biffy Clyro does nothing for me, I'm afraid.

Good shout with Seventh Wonder (I love The Great Escape) and some of Shadow Gallery's stuff is pretty good too.

On a glitchy Android, so forgive spelling/grammar

Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 11:51:28 AM »
Guys. The most important question is: who is "Stephen Wilson?"

Check out Quiet World by Native Construct, that might be similar to what you're looking for.

And Zero Hour's The Towers of Avarice is probably the best concept album in my opinion, though it tends more to the technical side of progressive metal than the melodic.

Thank you.  Both on my list  :tup
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »
Still, since you're not familiar with Ayreon and you seem to like The Astonishing, I'd say give it a shot and try The Theory of Everything. It's got everything The Astonishing has, but executes it better. Listen with a booklet in your hands or with lyrics opened because it's much better experience that way.

Of course, I'm biased since this album is actually my Top 10 of all time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 11:58:10 AM »
Check Operation: Mindcrime as well  :metal

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 12:34:04 PM »
Still, since you're not familiar with Ayreon and you seem to like The Astonishing, I'd say give it a shot and try The Theory of Everything. It's got everything The Astonishing has, but executes it better. Listen with a booklet in your hands or with lyrics opened because it's much better experience that way.

Also you can just start with The Human Equation from Ayreon, the singer playing the main character should sound familiar.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »

The only other thing that I've found that really speaks to me like Dream Theater is Beyond the Bridge.  Too bad they've only done one album... 

Can anyone suggest something on these lines for me to try out? 

(No offense to fans of any of the above bands, no discourtesy intended!)

Rock Operas that are better than The Astonishing in my opinion are:

Savatage / The Wake of Magellan
Savatage /Dead Winter Dead
Savatage / Streets

(All by Savatage.  I felt much more emotion in the storylines and songs of Dead Winter Dead and The Wake of Magellan than The Astonishing.

Savatage knows how to make a rock opera with tons of songs that can also stand on their own.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 01:17:58 PM »
If you think Avantasia is too much of a muchness I don't think you can handle Quiet World by Native Construct. If you can, good, because it's a fantastic album, just very.. over the top?

I don't have anything to add but I'd like to second I Am Anonymous even though I've only heard the album twice, I think it's exactly what you're looking for.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »
Quiet World doesn't do much for me, but I'd back up the suggestions for Savatage, Seventh Wonder, Pain of Salvation and Ayreon (though I prefer Human Equation to Theory of Everything).

Not sure how you'll like it, but Operation Mindcrime is certainly a classic worth giving a chance if you haven't already.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 01:50:03 PM »
Came in here to vouch for Ayreon's The Human Equation as well, and also throw a bone out for The Theory Of Everything. Both are two of the best albums that resemble anything like The Astonishing that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'll agree, if you want something heavy, SB might not be the way to go, though I'd suggest Neal Morse's Sola Scriptura, which is his heaviest, most metal and guitar-driven album to date, and it's a concept album! :tup

Other than that, I can't really make any other recommendations that haven't already been mentioned above.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »

I've tried to get into Ayreon a few times over the last ten years or so and never managed it.  I tried The Theory of Everything a few weeks ago and it really didn't grab me.  I'm gonna try again in the next day or so with the lyrics.  I appreciate the fact that this gets a lot of love, so I'm sure the problem is me, not the music.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 01:56:37 PM »
If you think Avantasia is too much of a muchness I don't think you can handle Quiet World by Native Construct. If you can, good, because it's a fantastic album, just very.. over the top?

I don't have anything to add but I'd like to second I Am Anonymous even though I've only heard the album twice, I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

Don't get me wrong, I like power/melodic metal in it's own right (Sonata Arctica, Avantasia, Power Quest, Theocracy), I'm just looking for something different at the moment.  I'll definitely check out I Am Anonymous!

I've heard a little Savatage and I'll definitely listen to some more, thanks.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Oh, maybe I said it wrong, Native Construct is in no way similar to Avantasia, I only took the band as a comparison for the "too much" aspect, I barely even know any Avantasia songs. Native Construct is basically prog metal with some very random stuff thrown in every now and then, a sort of Spanish flamengo section for instance. There is some growling included but not too much.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 02:27:02 PM »

I've tried to get into Ayreon a few times over the last ten years or so and never managed it.  I tried The Theory of Everything a few weeks ago and it really didn't grab me.  I'm gonna try again in the next day or so with the lyrics.  I appreciate the fact that this gets a lot of love, so I'm sure the problem is me, not the music.
I'm actually not a huge fan of the Theory of Everything. I think the Human Equation is far superior.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 02:43:06 PM »
Jeff Lynne's War of the Worlds

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:25 PM »
The Human Equation is the only thing I can think of that's similar to The Astonishing, but I haven't heard anything else from Ayreon so I don't know.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »

Jeff Wayne*  :P

But yeah, The Musical Version of the War Of The Worlds is fantastic and definitely worth listening to.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:28 PM »

Dude, where's 'Be'? By far their most ambitious and eclectic work just like what TA is for DT. All their other albums are great, too.

To those who haven't heard it, The Gentle Storm is also really good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »

But yeah, The Musical Version of the War Of The Worlds is fantastic and definitely worth listening to.

Whoops. My missus has been playing too much ELO... That's my excuse  :biggrin:

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »

I love that album so much, haven't heard it for a while  :lol

"no Nathaniel, there must be more to life"
Anyway, it beats the Tom Cruise movie by a long shot!  :corn
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »

Dude, where's 'Be'? By far their most ambitious and eclectic work just like what TA is for DT. All their other albums are great, too.

sure, it's ambitious.  I actually listened to it very recently.  I can't recommend it.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
I like Hath's list.  Perhaps you should also try Flaming Row's Mirage: A Portrayal of Figures.  Album 1 in a three-part trilogy.  Not nearly as heavy/growlie as Elinoire.

Hate to state the obvious, but The Wall, or Animals?  Even Wish You Were Here.  The latter two are more 'thematic' vs 'concepts', but still epic.

THE should be a no-brainer, along with TTOE.  How about Into The Electric Castle?

Surprised no one has mentioned Transatlantic/The Whirlwind.

Those are all the 'not-so-metal' concepts I can think of off the top of my head.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
Rush - Clockwork Angels
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP