Author Topic: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour  (Read 27336 times)

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
Re: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »
I don't have any specific idea for the next tour. Actually, I wanted to say how cool was the last tour setlist, where they played a song an album - no more, no less. Some bands that I like, they completely ignore 3 or more albums when touring.

Or the 2014 tour, where they let Images & Words rest a bit, and invited a few rarities into the setlist.

That'll happen more and more. The more albums a band releases, the harder it gets to give every album a nod. Rush, for example, always has to ignore 4 or 5 albums per tour.
[/quote

True but they always play the majority of their classics. I hope one day to see DT do the same.

Starting over.... True but they always play the majority of their classics. I hope one day to see DT do the same. (Sorry to have included my statement in the quote)
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2016, 07:57:19 PM »
I made this one in the other thread a few days ago-

Evening with DT 2017

Descent of the NOMACS
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
The Enemy Inside
-
Constant Motion
Light Fuse and Get Away
Three Days
The Hovering Sojourn
Brother Can You Hear Me
A Life Left Behind
Outcry
Octavarium

*Clock goes back 20 years*
New Millenium
Just Let me Breathe
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
-
Surrender to Reason
Take the Time
The Great Debate
Chosen
Moment of Betrayal
Road to Revolution

Glass Prison

I think I'd happily pay twice the ticket price to see this  :lol  :lol :metal

Edit: added Chosen. Really should be there :)

Best set list so far, I'm buying.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2016, 08:03:58 PM »
I've been harping on the fact that I&W, 6DoiT, and FII as WELL as 6DoiT have all got anniversaries coming up next year, and I've come up with an idea that commemorates all FOUR of those albums, as well as including a few songs from the last couple of albums, AND gives a little "nod" to The Astonishing.

You might not like my arrangement, but I at least hope you like my selection-

Set One:
1) Just Let Me Breathe
2) Prophets of War
3) Learning to Live
4) About to Crash/
5) War Inside My Head/
6) The Test That Stumped Them All
7) Outcry
8) Forsaken
9) Surrender to Reason
10) Hell's Kitchen
11) Pull Me Under

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) The Dark Eternal Night
2) Take the Time
3) Lines in the Sand
4) Solitary Shell/
5) About to Crash (Reprise)
6) In the Presence of Enemies, Pt.1
7) This is the Life
8) Hollow Years
9) The Looking Glass
10) Metropolis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) The Gift of Music
2) Astonishing

Very good set list as well. But can we sqeeze Octavarium in there? That would be the money is no object situation.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2016, 08:25:51 PM »
Sure. we could either increase the show to about three hours, or remove a few songs, such as the first two, which no one seems to want or like anyway.
Actually doing that, and also getting rid of LtL and ItPoE-1 would make it just about PERFECT, length-wise!
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2016, 12:03:48 AM »
I guess what I am trying to say is, given what they are specifically trying to accomplish with this tour, I do not anticipate a second leg or second "tour" of them just presenting The Astonishing.  The fact that the number of shows on this tour is somewhat limited is by design, and I don't see them going back and trying to fill the gaps and play this same show in other places that they missed.  I would instead anticipate a more traditional tour sometime soon after, whether late summer/fall, or early next year.  I could easily be mistaken, but that type of thing seems in line with JP's mindset.

If they did do a more "traditional" tour right or soon after, I would really like to see them keep something like 3 or 4 of the new (Astonishing) songs in the "mix" on each night of the tour. Maybe more. I think there are a lot of people who feel as I do, in that while I don't have a problem with the story, there enough songs in it that just don't appeal to me/us that it would make siitting through the entire thing with none of the old favorites being played somewhat of a tedious chore.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2016, 12:12:49 AM »
I've been harping on the fact that I&W, 6DoiT, and FII as WELL as 6DoiT have all got anniversaries coming up next year
All four of those three albums?  Wow.

Learning songs from those five albums is certainly going to keep them busy when they play all six on tour soon.

Yeah..and maybe they'll play eleventy songs from each album!!

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »
 I think there are a lot of people who feel as I do, in that while I don't have a problem with the story, there enough songs in it that just don't appeal to me/us that it would make siitting through the entire thing with none of the old favorites being played somewhat of a tedious chore.
[/quote]

You're pointing out the main problem with this tour.  A lot of fans don't like TA, so they won't go to the shows.  If they do another leg after the current tour with other songs from their catalog, I'm in.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
How many are these "a lot of fans"?

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2016, 09:54:28 AM »
You're pointing out the main problem with this tour.  A lot of fans don't like TA, so they won't go to the shows.  If they do another leg after the current tour with other songs from their catalog, I'm in.

Complete non-issue. The shows are selling as well as they usually do.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »
I don't doubt it. But for some reason, I would prefer to have it DVD than actually go to the concert. Actually, my feeling about it is the opposite of how I feel about Bt4W: I would like to have and AUDIO copy of THAT show, and a VIDEO of this one. I think a big part of it is because having a CD of Astonishing Live would be redundant, because it wouldn't be a whole lot different from the studio version. Plus there are shows from the AFtR tour available for viewing online, such as from YouTube.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »

Based on my Facebook friends and I have a few hundreds, they are a majority disapointed, especially the ones since the time of  Pull me under.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2016, 09:58:25 PM »

Really? How do you know that?

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2016, 11:14:38 PM »
I am a fan since Pull me under and TA is to me one of Dream Theaters best records to date.
It was also two fantastics shows in Stockholm... would not miss them for the world and actually considered after seeing them to try to catch them again later in the tour. Did not work out though as shows were sold out.
So glad that Dream Theater tried something a little bit different this time and glad I enjoy it soo much. Next album will probably go back to the tried and tested formula.... would love if they tried something else though even if I would not like the results, just as long as they do what they want.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2016, 03:44:30 AM »

Really? How do you know that?
Well, the London shows were pretty much sold out, which they never usually achieve. So they're definitely doing well.

However, I don't think that's really relevant to whether they should do TA again when they come back. Even if the shows are selling out, and most fans are loving them, most of us won't want to see exactly the same show a few months later. If they come back and do TA again, I definitely won't be going, and I loved both the album and the show.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2016, 06:09:38 AM »

Based on my Facebook friends and I have a few hundreds, they are a majority disapointed, especially the ones since the time of  Pull me under.

So all "few hundred" of your FB friends are DT fans? 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2016, 06:29:08 AM »

Haha, that's exactly what I thought when I read that. I think I have a few hundred FB friends, and I'd guess maybe 10 or so are DT fans.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »

A lot in the group. They are musicians like me. You wanna know their names?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2016, 12:53:14 PM »

*gets comfortable*

Yes.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2016, 12:59:24 PM »

*gets comfortable*

Yes.

Wow, i do not have Time to loose. Some people like it, some don't, that's it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:08:02 PM by red barchetta »

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2016, 01:18:56 PM »

And the like-to-dislike ratio is at least 90% like.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #90 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:48 PM »
I've tried to put forth this idea before. I would kind of like to see them at least TRY to do a tour AFTER they finish the current one, like maybe in 2017 or 2018, where they play only songs from the last three albums. They wouldn't have to play the same set at every show, but if I picked the songs, it might go something like this-

Set One:
1) The Looking Glass
2) Outcry
3) Dystopian Overture/
4) The Gift of Music
5) Surrender to Reason
6) Build Me Up, Break Me Down
7) Lord Nafaryus/
8) A Savior in the Square/
9) When Your Time Has Come
10) Behind the Veil
11) This is the Life
12) A New Beginning

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Enigma Machine
2) Bridges in the Sky
3) Moment of Betrayal/
4) Heaven's Cove
5) Along for the Ride
6) Lost Not Forgotten
7) The Walking Shadow/
8) My Last Farewell
9) The Enemy Inside
10) On the Backs of Angels
11) Hymn of a Thousand Voices

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
Illumination Theory

That's a fantastic setlist. I really approve of everything except The Looking Glass as opener. Change it with The Root of all Evil to get the audience in the mood, and Along For The Ride with The Path That Divides, and it's all good in my view.

I'm glad you "approve" of my idea, but I think it's kind of strange that so many people don't like The Looking Glass for an opening song. I think the way the song begins is enough of an attention-getter, and should put the audience in the mood. Also, I guess there aren't enough people who like Along for the Ride as much as I do.
 As much as I LOVE The Root of All Evil, the idea that I had here was that ALL of the songs in the show would be "post-Portnoy." If I was going to include one of the older (Black Clouds or before) songs, I would put it more towards the middle of the set, or maybe as or in the encore.
 IF they were to do something like this, they would probably play some of the other Astonishing songs, including The Path That Divides at some of the gigs.
When I put this list together, I only picked songs from those three albums that I like, or that there was room for. I like Breaking All Illusions, which they would most likely play during at tour like this as well, but it doesn't fit in with the 160 minute time limit. They would probably play some of the songs that I DON'T like at some of the shows, such as The Bigger Picture, Far From Heaven, Beneath the surface, and some of the Astonishing songs that are favorites of other people weather I like them or not.

Anyway, there's nothing stopping you or anyone else from writing your own version.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: March 17, 2016, 05:45:32 PM »

Yes. Please list them in alphabetical order.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #92 on: March 17, 2016, 05:51:54 PM »
Yes, and Social Security numbers so we can verify their existence.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:16 PM »
Just take a look guys at the Youtube videos. I can honestly say that there are lots of people who don't dig TA. Compared to any previous album, there has never been as far as I have noticed such an amount of "don't like it" vs "like it". That's what i also noticed on Facebook. The ratio isn't 90-10 but really, who cares. That's only my observation but don't get too sensitive about it. I do love DT. They have been one of my all time fav band and still are.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2016, 09:32:30 PM »
That is not a fair assessment, since a) social media and YT are where internet morons go to bash the living crap out of anything, and b) social media and YT wasn't prevalent, or even around, during the majority of DT's releases.  Heck, had Train of Thought been released when FB and YT were this popular, I can only imagine the beating it would have taken, considering the beating it took on dt.net. 

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2016, 09:38:29 PM »
Take a look at all albums comments, you have them all. And TOT is not being saved by people who don't like it and still don't like it after all these years. i think it's just a fact that TA is kind of controversial and brought a higher percentage of people who have problems digging the whole thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2016, 10:23:55 PM »

On DTF maybe. I don't know how you could get that impression from the internet in general. It's clearly a very divisive album.
I'm not saying that's a bad sign, but whenever DT deviates from their established formula a bit, it's only natural that it's not going to suit everyone. ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 10:33:47 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2016, 12:24:06 AM »
Just take a look guys at the Youtube videos. I can honestly say that there are lots of people who don't dig TA. Compared to any previous album, there has never been as far as I have noticed such an amount of "don't like it" vs "like it". That's what i also noticed on Facebxook. The ratio isn't 90-10 but really, who cares. That's only my observation but don't get too sensitive about it. I do love DT. They have been one of my all time fav band and still are.

That's funny...so far every video I've seen on YouTube reviewing The Astonishing has been pretty positive. There have been a few that have said it could have been better, but most of them have more or less said that they LOVED it.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2016, 08:08:22 AM »

On DTF maybe. I don't know how you could get that impression from the internet in general. It's clearly a very divisive album.
I'm not saying that's a bad sign, but whenever DT deviates from their established formula a bit, it's only natural that it's not going to suit everyone. ;)

:tup

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2016, 08:10:38 AM »
Just take a look guys at the Youtube videos. I can honestly say that there are lots of people who don't dig TA. Compared to any previous album, there has never been as far as I have noticed such an amount of "don't like it" vs "like it". That's what i also noticed on Facebxook. The ratio isn't 90-10 but really, who cares. That's only my observation but don't get too sensitive about it. I do love DT. They have been one of my all time fav band and still are.

That's funny...so far every video I've seen on YouTube reviewing The Astonishing has been pretty positive. There have been a few that have said it could have been better, but most of them have more or less said that they LOVED it.

Look at the whole album review video to have a better idea. ;)

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2016, 09:28:29 AM »

Yeah...

Many of them are extremely positive like the Metal Voice, Coverkillernation and Metalsucks one. A few negative reviews but honestly not a lot (and those get trashed in the comments).

Youtube has an extremely good like to dislike ratio. Take the Our New World video for instance, 860 like to 10 dislike which is about 99% like. Or the original TGoM video, 14668 like to 565 dislike. About 96% like. That seems pretty one sided to me.

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2016, 12:06:19 PM »

Yeah...

Many of them are extremely positive like the Metal Voice, Coverkillernation and Metalsucks one. A few negative reviews but honestly not a lot (and those get trashed in the comments).

Youtube has an extremely good like to dislike ratio. Take the Our New World video for instance, 860 like to 10 dislike which is about 99% like. Or the original TGoM video, 14668 like to 565 dislike. About 96% like. That seems pretty one sided to me.

If you do the same exercice with the whole album video, the ratio would be totally different but who cares anyway :D

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2016, 01:55:13 PM »
You mean this? 92% like still sounds pretty good for a supposedly mixed reception. Comments sound a bit negative, but most people who watch the video don't comment (like 90% at least) and the people who are commenting often are people venting frustration. It's why many videos have so plenty contrarian comments even if the video is well liked. Even still, the cumulative views of the officially uploaded songs far eclipses the full album uploads and the like ratio is above 95% in almost all cases.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
You Tube commenters are like the lowest form of internet life, and we are supposed to act like their opinions matter here?  Come on. :lol :lol :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2016, 04:56:24 PM »
You Tube commenters are like the lowest form of internet life, and we are supposed to act like their opinions matter here?  Come on. :lol :lol :lol

This this this this.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing