Author Topic: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour  (Read 27344 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Re: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 06:04:13 PM »
^^^You'd think it would be the opposite, since they put so much effort into this album being a complete cohesive work, and the effort of a (hopefully) elaborate production show, that they'd wanna milk the hell out of this thing and bring it literally everywhere.
No way, that would make no business sense. Those who love it and are desparate to see them play it in full will do so this time around. There'd be no benefit to doing it again.

I agree with bosk's rationale - it would make far more sense to follow the theatre tour up with a more traditional tour that a bigger number of fans will be more comfortable with.

Well, no, I can't leave my country.
Neither can a ton of people from South America, which happens to be the place where they usually get the largest audiences.
If they were to tell me that it's for logistical purposes because they can't bring the visual show everywhere, I get it, and I think everyone does. I am, however, willing to see TA played without the visuals. Mexico never saw SFAM, as far as I know.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline craig1928

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 06:14:14 PM »
Those who don't get to see The Astonishing, well we can always pray for a live release somehow and somewhen.

I'd be amazed if we don't get a DVD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »
Those who don't get to see The Astonishing, well we can always pray for a live release somehow and somewhen.

Even if I was still a concert goer (I am not anymore), I had reached the point years ago of tiring of three hour concerts.  As much as I am digging this album, it would be a chore to sit through all of it live, I think.  A lot of that has to do me with now being 42; I am not 22 anymore. :censored :lol :facepalm:

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:56 PM »
I'd like to have a performance of The Astonishing Live eternized in a DVD.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
I'm betting on a DVD release, and actually somewhat looking forward to it, however far away it may or may not be.  :lol It's likely the the only way myself and many other fans will be able to see it "live".

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 08:23:07 PM »
-A few years back, I had a brief conversation with JP about Mike's proposal that they take a hiatus and reform.  Remember the timing of that for a second and put it in context.  For Black Clouds, they had NOT done a regular DT headlining tour in North America.  They did Prog Nation, which was a shorter set and, if I'm not mistaken, was 23 dates, and they opened for Maiden, which was a short set and was, I think, 26 dates.  A lot of fans held out waiting for that proper headlining tour to support the albums, which ultimately never came.  I said that I felt like, even though PN is cool enough, and the Maiden tour was definitely a good idea for the band in terms of exposure, they lost some momentum by not doing a tour supporting an album that had had such a high chart release, and that it seemed like the proposal to take a hiatus for a couple of years would have slowed their momentum even further.  John said my instincts were dead-on, and that was pretty much how they felt.  To kind of restate and paraphrase on of the themes of that conversation:  JP seems to be strongly of the opinion that, while it is a good idea to break the mold and try new things, it is important to make sure to consistently give the fans what they want in a live setting so that they keep coming back and the momentum does not lose steam.
Interesting side story - thanks for sharing! And I see why you argue that this won't be for a full tour. But...

-On the present tour, JP has said that they want to do a limited run of shows in a different kind of venue so that they can present his vision of The Astonishing.  They key to me here is that these are different venues, and this is a limited run.  So I don't think they are planning to do another North American leg where they do the same thing and book more of these types of theaters to present The Astonishing.
When JP is referring to a different kind of venue, pretty sure that's only regarding Europe, where they have their largest fanbase. I know at least some of the venues they're playing in North America are the same venues they've played on previous tours. And only Europe is getting multiple dates in the same city (aside from the LA show). Given all the cities they normally hit in Europe that they are skipping this time around, I can't imagine them not heading back to get them on the second go round, especially with all the time and effort it appears they're putting into the live presentation. North America is less likely, but I believe still a possibility.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »
Here's my go at a setlist after they're done playing the thing in full: (keep in mind I wrote this quickly)

(Decent of the NOMACS)
1 Dystopian Overture
2 The gift of music
3 The Looking Glass
4 Blind Faith
5 Lord Nafaryus/Three Days
6 Another won
7 Stream of conciousness
8 The X Aspect
9 A new beginning
10 Breaking all illusions

(intermission)

(Overture)
11 About to crash
12 war inside my head
13 The test that stumped them all
14 Goodnight kiss
15 Ravenskill
14 The Killing Hand (NEEDS to be played again)
15 Our New World

Encore:
16 Metropolis
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2016, 08:35:12 PM »
Wow, I really love all the setlists in this thread so far!! Absolute YES on the Octavarium, The Killing Hand, and Another Won!!

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 08:44:34 PM »
(Overture)
11 About to crash
12 war inside my head
13 The test that stumped them all
14 Goodnight kiss
15 Ravenskill
14 The Killing Hand (NEEDS to be played again)
15 Our New World

I don't know, playing Goodnight Kiss without going into Solitary Shell just seems kind of wrong. They've probably done it before but idk it's like playing the Mirror without going into Lie. Or listening to A Savior in the Square without going into When Your Time Has Come right after.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2016, 03:11:42 AM »
@bosk That actually seems completely rational.
That settles it.

It will never happen that way.

:lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2016, 05:17:32 AM »
I'd love to see a "second leg" with just the better songs from TA and some old stuff.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2016, 09:06:53 AM »
-On the present tour, JP has said that they want to do a limited run of shows in a different kind of venue so that they can present his vision of The Astonishing.  They key to me here is that these are different venues, and this is a limited run.  So I don't think they are planning to do another North American leg where they do the same thing and book more of these types of theaters to present The Astonishing.
When JP is referring to a different kind of venue, pretty sure that's only regarding Europe, where they have their largest fanbase. I know at least some of the venues they're playing in North America are the same venues they've played on previous tours.

No, I think he was referring to the tour in general and not just Europe.  I can't say I know every venue they are playing.  But for the most part, they seem to be specifically targeting theaters that would be suitable for Broadway musical-type productions.  For Northern California, for example, they are not playing the Warfield in San Francisco, which has been their tried-and-true venue since at least the TOT tour.  They are instead playing the Fox Theater, which does also book concerts, but is a different type of theater where stage productions are also common.  This is consistent with the types of venues they are booking in Europe. If they are booking some venues that they have booked in the past, I think it is simply because those venues were already the type they were looking for.

Given all the cities they normally hit in Europe that they are skipping this time around, I can't imagine them not heading back to get them on the second go round, especially with all the time and effort it appears they're putting into the live presentation. North America is less likely, but I believe still a possibility.

Oh, sure.  I do think they will hit those cities they are skipping.  But I would think it would just be a "normal" show.  Maybe not, but we shall see.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
^^^You'd think it would be the opposite, since they put so much effort into this album being a complete cohesive work, and the effort of a (hopefully) elaborate production show, that they'd wanna milk the hell out of this thing and bring it literally everywhere.

You also have to consider that although many people like the new record, there are quite a few fans that have some serious problems with The Astonishing and would not be interested in hearing the full thing live (this includes me). I feel like bosk1's idea makes the most sense from a buisness point of view - get the people who really love The Astonishing to visit the full set early on and get the rest of the fans later by playing a traditional set with some favorites from The Astonishing (like Three Days or A New Beginning). You could even group some of the Astonishing songs together since they are rather short. For example, someone suggested opening the concert with "Descent of the NOMACS", "Dystopian Overture" and "The Gift of Music" which I would totally dig.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2016, 09:27:58 AM »
I doubt the tour after 'The Astonishing' run would be "An Evening With" (just my opinion of course). My "feel" would be they'd take a good 4-6 weeks off after the NA leg (1. to let JLB recover & 2. to prepare a new set). Then I could see a headline run back through Europe, North America, Asia, Australia & South/Central America.

Here's a set 2 hour I'd put together:
1. The Glass Prison
2. Only A Matter of Time
3. The Bigger Picture
4. Erotomania / Voices
5. The Astonishing suite:
5A) The Gift of Music
5B) When Your Time Has Come
5C) A New Beginning
5D) Moment of Betrayal
5E) Losing Faythe
5F) Our New World
6. Through Her Eyes
7. Peruvian Skies
8. Take The Time
encore:
9. In The Name of God

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
Nobody's factored in rehearsal time either. Getting the entire new album ready for the entire performance, plus old songs for the 2nd leg. That's gotta be exhausting! Takes a lotta time as well.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 11:16:43 AM »
I hope it doesn't take the band too long before they play The Bigger Picture live.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 11:22:35 AM »
I've been harping on the fact that I&W, 6DoiT, and FII as WELL as 6DoiT have all got anniversaries coming up next year
All four of those three albums?  Wow.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:07:54 PM by hefdaddy42 »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2016, 11:36:02 AM »
They should tour with the Trevor Rabin , Jon Anderson band...

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2016, 11:37:20 AM »
I'm just waiting for them to play A change of seasons again, i'm not bothering to see them live for the rest of their catalogue. Seen them 3 times with the 6doit and ToT tour, so most favorites have been played.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »
I think the 2nd leg/the tour after The Astonishing is not going to be An Evening With because there's no way they'll abandon the south for a 3rd consecutive leg, I say 3rd cause I don't really remember if there was a 2nd U.S leg on the DTDT tour.
And based on that I'd hope the setlist would be:

Decent of the NOMACS
1 Dystopian Overture
2 The Gift of Music
3 The Glass Prison
4 This Dying Soul
5 The Root of All Evil
6 A Better Life
7 Lord Nafaryus
8 Solitary Shell
9 A Rite of Passage
10 Constant Motion
11 When Your Time Has Come
12 Three Days
13 New Beginning
14 Outcry
15 The Path That Divides
16. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
17. Our New World

Encore:
Bridges In The Sky
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2016, 11:08:48 PM »
How about this:

Set 1
The Gift of Music
Erotomania
Surrender to Reason
Ravenskill
Panic Attack
Surrounded
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
A New Beginning
Bridges in the Sky

Set 2
The Glass Prison
Moment of Betrayal
The Bigger Picture
A Life Left Behind
Under a Glass Moon
Home
Our New World
Breaking All Illusions

Encore
Peruvian Skies
Take the Time

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 07:19:01 AM »
I've been harping on the fact that I&W, 6DoiT, and FII as WELL as 6DoiT have all got anniversaries coming up next year

Learning songs from those five albums is certainly going to keep them busy when they play all six on tour soon.

Offline RaasMah

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »
As much as I love BAI, they wont play it 3 times in a row I think

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
As much as I love BAI, they wont play it 3 times in a row I think

Well, it wouldn't be in a row because the TA tour is just TA.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »

Ooops! I f***ed up! I MEANT to say---I&W (25), FII(20), 6Doit(15) and SC(10)

DAMN! I can't believe I didn't CATCH that!

Oh well, at least now you know what I meant.
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
I don't know how this ideas going to go over, but since they're playing a shorter show this time around, I think they should give us something like 3 hours next time. I selected the 15 tracks I like best from The Astonishing, which will take up ABOUT 40% of the show, a couple of songs each from the albums that have somewhat important anniversaries coming up next year, a little bit of music from the last couple of albums, and then something a little different for the encore. The astonishing songs are distributed throughout the show instead all being together, but other bands have done this sort of thing in the past.

Set One:
1) Surrender to reason
2) Dystopian Overture/
3) The Gift of Music
4) Solitary Shell
5) Lord Nafaryus
6) Outcry
7) When Your Time Has Come
8) Just Let Me Breathe
9) Three Days
10) Forsaken
11) Ravenskill
12) Pull Me Under
13) A New Beginning/
14) The Road to Revolution

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) The Looking Glass
2) 2285 Entr'acte/
3) Moment of Betrayel
4) Prophets of War
5) Heaven's Cove
6) Hollow Years
7) The Path That Divides
8) The Glass Prison
9) The Walking Shadow
10) This is the Life
11) Our New World/
12) Astonishing
13) Metropolis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) Status Seeker
2) As I Am
3) A Rite of Passage
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2016, 08:17:59 PM »
I don't have any specific idea for the next tour. Actually, I wanted to say how cool was the last tour setlist, where they played a song an album - no more, no less. Some bands that I like, they completely ignore 3 or more albums when touring.

Or the 2014 tour, where they let Images & Words rest a bit, and invited a few rarities into the setlist.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »
I don't have any specific idea for the next tour. Actually, I wanted to say how cool was the last tour setlist, where they played a song an album - no more, no less. Some bands that I like, they completely ignore 3 or more albums when touring.

Or the 2014 tour, where they let Images & Words rest a bit, and invited a few rarities into the setlist.

That'll happen more and more. The more albums a band releases, the harder it gets to give every album a nod. Rush, for example, always has to ignore 4 or 5 albums per tour.

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »

That'll happen more and more. The more albums a band releases, the harder it gets to give every album a nod. Rush, for example, always has to ignore 4 or 5 albums per tour.

Yeah, I know - such a shame. I've never listened to Rush, but I know what you are talking about. I like Yes a lot, and they have 20 albums, so It would be hard to represent them all. What I think is a shame is that they not only represent just 5 or 6 albums, but also completely ignore all their '90s discography. I think it's a shame because I think a lot of their '90s music is amazing.

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2016, 03:12:08 AM »
I'm also hoping for another round of The Astonishing Live.  I couldn't make it to London this time and I'd much rather they did a second leg of the current tour than come back and play the same songs that that they've been doing for the last couple of decades.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2016, 03:42:31 AM »

Yeah, I dislike it as well when bands totally ignore huge chunks of their discography.

Of course longevity of the band and length of the songs are perfectly valid reasons to skip albums, but younger bands with no more than 4-5 albums should try to keep it up as long as possible.

As for DT, I'm happy the ever rotating setlists and lack of staples keep it always fresh, by now Falling Into Infinity gets a better reputation than by the time of its release but imagine never hearing Trial of Tears again in place of hearing Pull Me Under, Metropolis and half Scenes from a Memory every single show... ugh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 05:29:22 AM »
My opinion is that they will probably make a summer tour, not very long, maybe festivals.
As there is no anniversary to celebrate they will be pretty free to play whatever they prefer.
Probably the "unplayed" songs from DT would  feature.
At this stage it doesn't make much sense predict further details, already the "path that divides" between 'festival' and 'evening with' format would make a huge difference in the possible setlist.
From Rome, with love.

Offline chaossystem

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »
I've tried to put forth this idea before. I would kind of like to see them at least TRY to do a tour AFTER they finish the current one, like maybe in 2017 or 2018, where they play only songs from the last three albums. They wouldn't have to play the same set at every show, but if I picked the songs, it might go something like this-

Set One:
1) The Looking Glass
2) Outcry
3) Dystopian Overture/
4) The Gift of Music
5) Surrender to Reason
6) Build Me Up, Break Me Down
7) Lord Nafaryus/
8) A Savior in the Square/
9) When Your Time Has Come
10) Behind the Veil
11) This is the Life
12) A New Beginning

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Enigma Machine
2) Bridges in the Sky
3) Moment of Betrayal/
4) Heaven's Cove
5) Along for the Ride
6) Lost Not Forgotten
7) The Walking Shadow/
8) My Last Farewell
9) The Enemy Inside
10) On the Backs of Angels
11) Hymn of a Thousand Voices

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
Illumination Theory

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:56 AM »
I've tried to put forth this idea before. I would kind of like to see them at least TRY to do a tour AFTER they finish the current one, like maybe in 2017 or 2018, where they play only songs from the last three albums. They wouldn't have to play the same set at every show, but if I picked the songs, it might go something like this-

Set One:
1) The Looking Glass
2) Outcry
3) Dystopian Overture/
4) The Gift of Music
5) Surrender to Reason
6) Build Me Up, Break Me Down
7) Lord Nafaryus/
8) A Savior in the Square/
9) When Your Time Has Come
10) Behind the Veil
11) This is the Life
12) A New Beginning

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) Enigma Machine
2) Bridges in the Sky
3) Moment of Betrayal/
4) Heaven's Cove
5) Along for the Ride
6) Lost Not Forgotten
7) The Walking Shadow/
8) My Last Farewell
9) The Enemy Inside
10) On the Backs of Angels
11) Hymn of a Thousand Voices

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
Illumination Theory

That's a fantastic setlist. I really approve of everything except The Looking Glass as opener. Change it with The Root of all Evil to get the audience in the mood, and Along For The Ride with The Path That Divides, and it's all good in my view.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »

[/quote

True but they always play the majority of their classics. I hope one day to see DT do the same.
With all respect, sincerely yours