Author Topic: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour  (Read 27287 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2016, 02:16:04 AM »
It's not uncommon but REM recorded "New Adventures In HIFI" on the road whilst touring Monster.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
In 2008, the jazz trio Medeski-Martin-Wood toured for some time only playing new, unreleased, mostly improvised pieces. After the tour was over, they recorded all those pieces, and released a trilogy of albums called Radiolarians in 2009 (I've listened to Radiolarians III, and I like it).

I think it would be cool if DT did something like that - if they played new written/improvised music for some part of each show, and later on recorded and released it as their new album.
That would be really cool, except that that isn't remotely like anything they would ever do.  They've never really been an improv/jam band, and what little they HAVE done in the past, they are getting further and further away from, with slaving themselves to backing and click tracks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2016, 08:06:56 PM »
Here is what I would like to see.  Go full on super long/progressive epics.

Metropolis
A Change of Seasons
Trial of Tears
In the Presence of Enemies
Solitary Shell/About to Crash (Reprise)/Grand Finale

Intermission

Octavarium
Count of Tuscany
In the Name of God
Learning to Live
Illumination Theory

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2016, 05:14:55 AM »
While that is completely unrealistic, if it were to happen, A Change of Seasons would not be in the middle of the set. It would probably be an encore song.

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2016, 06:35:59 PM »
While that is completely unrealistic, if it were to happen, A Change of Seasons would not be in the middle of the set. It would probably be an encore song.

Fine, Mark it an encore.  By unrealistic I assume you mean awesome. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/Smileys/default/headbang.gif  Keep in mind that with all the long songs will be like James singing an 90 minute show for a normal band.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2016, 07:42:12 PM »

Fine, Mark it an encore.  By unrealistic I assume you mean awesome.

By unrealistic he means that it's never ever gonna happen.  :lol