Author Topic: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour  (Read 27286 times)

Offline erwinrafael

Re: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour
« Reply #140 on: April 10, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
Is proposing a 3-hour setlist for JLB even legal?  :rollin

Offline Tumdace

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:01 AM »
If they do anything from disc 1 of SDoIT on the next tour, The Glass Prison is a must. They haven't played it in 10 years and it's a fan favorite. The crowd would go completely nuts for it.

I would kill to hear it live.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »
If they do anything from disc 1 of SDoIT on the next tour, The Glass Prison is a must. They haven't played it in 10 years and it's a fan favorite. The crowd would go completely nuts for it.

Yeah at this point, it's a no brainer.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2016, 01:23:25 PM »

But are you justified in taking life to hear it live?

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »

Tbh I'm not sure JP is even able to play those arpeggios anymore. Afaik he was struggling with them even on the SDOIT tour.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2016, 03:57:34 PM »

Tbh I'm not sure JP is even able to play those arpeggios anymore. Afaik he was struggling with them even on the SDOIT tour.

That was before he was taking steroids...finger steroids.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #146 on: April 12, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »

iirc they aren't even entirely clean on the album.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #147 on: April 12, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »

I thought that was due to Portnoy speeding up the tempo live?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #148 on: April 12, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »
iirc they aren't even entirely clean on the album.

They're a little bit off, occasionally slightly behind on the timing, and not 100% even in rhythm with a few double picked notes, so I think JP was pushing himself to the limit in the studio even at the time. Doing the song at studio tempo live, it probably won't be 100% either, but I'm sure will still be equally badass.
Still, I have two kidneys left, and am willing to part with one to hear that song live.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #149 on: April 12, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »

But are you justified in taking life to hear it live?

Yes.. Because he is willing to kill for it..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: April 13, 2016, 08:43:21 AM »
Literacy is helpful when reading.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #151 on: April 13, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »
Says King

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #152 on: April 13, 2016, 01:53:40 PM »
 ??? :yeahright :huh:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
Guaranteed, The Glass Prison will be played live. A lot of fun reaction can generate a song to be requested.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #154 on: April 14, 2016, 01:15:53 PM »
They should do it for the fans.. I think it's the most requested song..

That one and Stream of Consciousness are among the songs the majority wants to hear live..

At least judging from what I've heard so far..

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
Reading at some replies, I'm so tempted to make a thread "Make a setlist to kill JLB", lol.

Voices-Scarred-Take The Time full-Surrounded-Learning to Live-Innocence Faded
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline darkshade

« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
That is not a fair assessment, since a) social media and YT are where internet morons go to bash the living crap out of anything, and b) social media and YT wasn't prevalent, or even around, during the majority of DT's releases.  Heck, had Train of Thought been released when FB and YT were this popular, I can only imagine the beating it would have taken, considering the beating it took on dt.net.

Amazon has been around for a long time. Last I checked, ToT had the most reviews on Amazon, and many were negative.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »
I will see Mangini-era DT if they're going to play The Glass Prison next tour. Haven't seen DT since they opened for Iron Maiden in 2010.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2016, 08:09:37 AM »
I will see Mangini-era DT if they're going to play The Glass Prison next tour. Haven't seen DT since they opened for Iron Maiden in 2010.
Wow.  You are really missing out.  You should see them if you get the chance.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
Wow.  You are really missing out.  You should see them if you get the chance.
You really are

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »
(leave out Act of Faythe)
You monster!

That set looks cool, kind of wishful thinking though as it has way too many "big" songs IMO. I doubt they'd ever make Octavarium an encore again unless it's an anniversary or something. Also I doubt they'd do Evening With's for a while.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
I feel like it makes sense for them to do a 30th anniversary, greatest hits type tour after The Astonishing tour wraps up. Come to think of it, has the band ever done a tour not directly in support of any album? I feel like now might be the perfect time to do that kind of thing.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2016, 06:49:10 PM »
I feel like it makes sense for them to do a 30th anniversary, greatest hits type tour after The Astonishing tour wraps up. Come to think of it, has the band ever done a tour not directly in support of any album? I feel like now might be the perfect time to do that kind of thing.
They did exactly that last year. They played one song per album in chronological order. They included a fragment of "A Change Of Seasons" as well.
Here is the setlist from the first show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2015/palace-of-sports-minsk-belarus-53c96b61.html

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2016, 07:25:04 PM »
I can't remember if we did this already in this thread, but using the format they did on the Octavarium tour, playing something from every album in order plus a lot of new stuff from the latest album at the beginning of the 1st set and end of the 2nd, this would be a great set to represent their 30 years:

Set 1
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Three Days
A New Beginning
A Fortune in Lies
Surrounded
Erotomania
Peruvian Skies
Through Her Eyes
The Glass Prison

Set 2
In the Name of God
These Walls
The Dark Eternal Night
Wither
Bridges in the Sky
Surrender to Reason
Moment of Surrender
The Path That Divides
Our New World

Encore
Take the Time
The Spirit Carries On

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #164 on: May 10, 2016, 07:53:47 PM »
I can't remember if we did this already in this thread, but using the format they did on the Octavarium tour, playing something from every album in order plus a lot of new stuff from the latest album at the beginning of the 1st set and end of the 2nd, this would be a great set to represent their 30 years:

Set 1
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Three Days
A New Beginning
A Fortune in Lies
Surrounded
Erotomania
Peruvian Skies
Through Her Eyes
The Glass Prison

Set 2
In the Name of God
These Walls
The Dark Eternal Night
Wither
Bridges in the Sky
Surrender to Reason
Moment of Surrender
The Path That Divides
Our New World

Encore
Take the Time
The Spirit Carries On

Is that a song from the unrevealed EP that was to be launched between DT12 and TA?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2016, 08:53:41 PM »
LOL, it's a U2 cover. :lol

I guess I had that U2 song on the brain after typing Surrender to Reason and having Moment of Betrayal on the brain. :facepalm:

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:24 PM »

Set 1
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
Three Days
A New Beginning
A Fortune in Lies
Surrounded
Erotomania
Peruvian Skies
Through Her Eyes
The Glass Prison

Set 2
In the Name of God
These Walls
The Dark Eternal Night
Wither
Bridges in the Sky
Surrender to Reason
Moment of Surrender
The Path That Divides
Our New World

Encore
Take the Time
The Spirit Carries On

That's a pretty exciting set, I'd pay to see it! The only change I'd make is the encore, I'd put either Octavarium or ACoS in there. Both overdue for performances!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2016, 06:43:49 AM »
They did exactly that last year. They played one song per album in chronological order. They included a fragment of "A Change Of Seasons" as well.
Here is the setlist from the first show: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2015/palace-of-sports-minsk-belarus-53c96b61.html

Ah, I remember that now. I'd say it was more of a short festival circuit than a full fledged tour, though. I want them to go all out. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »
Pretty realistic set list, and one that I think would make a lot of people happy.  The only odd choice to me is Through Her Eyes.  I can't see them choosing that as a standalone song.  I'm guessing you chose it because it is short, but it is an odd choice that I don't see them doing.  But otherwise: :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
Y'all make some pretty bizarre choices, just saying.

This is the setlist I'd go with- All their albums are represented, and none of these songs have been played live in awhile, beyond the new songs. Not sure about timing but it should be close.

The Gift of Music
Only a Matter of Time
Under The Glass Moon
Caught in a Web
Hells Kitchen
Fatal Tragedy
The Glass Prison

Intermission
In the Name of God
These Walls
Constant Motion
A Nightmare to Remember
Far From Heaven
Surrender to Reason
Our New World

Encore
A Change of Seasons

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »

Wow, I wish it was the setlist for DT12 in Montréal in 2014. It was ok but disapointing for me. The previous 3 tours were up to my taste which is not an automatic and easy thing lol
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2016, 07:06:22 AM »
Is proposing a 3-hour setlist for JLB even legal?  :rollin
Their 2014 DVD ran 165 minutes, I don't see any harm in adding 15 more. Especially since this show will not have nearly as much Awake in it.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »

Wow, I saw them do it live for the Gigantour tour but didn't realize that was in 2005...over 10 years ago.   :-[

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2016, 06:55:05 PM »
In 2008, the jazz trio Medeski-Martin-Wood toured for some time only playing new, unreleased, mostly improvised pieces. After the tour was over, they recorded all those pieces, and released a trilogy of albums called Radiolarians in 2009 (I've listened to Radiolarians III, and I like it).

I think it would be cool if DT did something like that - if they played new written/improvised music for some part of each show, and later on recorded and released it as their new album.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
In 2008, the jazz trio Medeski-Martin-Wood toured for some time only playing new, unreleased, mostly improvised pieces. After the tour was over, they recorded all those pieces, and released a trilogy of albums called Radiolarians in 2009 (I've listened to Radiolarians III, and I like it).

I think it would be cool if DT did something like that - if they played new written/improvised music for some part of each show, and later on recorded and released it as their new album.

Pain of Salvation a somewhat similar thing with Be. They played the whole thing live before ever recording it, released a live version of it, then went in an recorded a slightly updated version of it in the studio, with a considerable amount of different vocals. So fans have two versions of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com