Author Topic: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour  (Read 27335 times)

Offline Dream Team

The tour after "The Astonishing" tour
« on: February 04, 2016, 10:09:55 AM »
Just thinking ahead . . . Six Degrees Disc 1 has gotten little love over the years. With the 15th anniversary of that album approaching, I'd love it if they played it in its entirety on the 2nd tour. Then throw in the unplayed songs from the last album like Surrender to Reason, Beneath the Veil, and The Bigger Picture; then round it out with some classics that haven't been played in awhile such as A Changes of Seasons/Octavarium/In The Name of God/Learning to Live/etc. I think that would be a great setlist.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The tour after "The Astonishing" tour
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
Yeah, if there is a second leg (and I think there likely will be, just given the nature of the present tour), I tend to think it may likely consist of:
-a "suite" or "mini-set" of songs from The Astonishing
-a good representation from Six Degrees
-a good mix of other songs from throughout the discography
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline SolitaryShell

• As I Am
  • I smile at the moon chasing water from the sky
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 10:43:53 AM »
If so, I hope they will do the 42-minutes-long suite as well, I really want them to play it again
Maybe they could do in a not distant future a single gig or a couple, a dozens of gigs where they play only the longest songs and the suites, it would be really interesting
We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there may not be one

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 10:47:32 AM »
If so, I hope they will do the 42-minutes-long suite as well

I highly doubt they will, ever.  It is just too long to decided to a single song, especially since they did it on a previous tour, and then did it again as a special performance on Score.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »
Yeah, if there is a second leg (and I think there likely will be, just given the nature of the present tour), I tend to think it may likely consist of:
That would be sweet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
If they do anything from disc 1 of SDoIT on the next tour, The Glass Prison is a must. They haven't played it in 10 years and it's a fan favorite. The crowd would go completely nuts for it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »
Actually I could see something like what you're suggesting next year, assuming they want to take a break from the studio (while working on the followup to TA) like they did last year, but I'd imagine this year will probably be reserved just for presenting TA live. Considering the fact that there are many cities in both Europe and North America that aren't going to be hit on the current tour, I'd imagine they'll tour those areas on second legs, along with runs through South America, Asia and Oceania. And like they did for the 2014 tour, I don't imagine the setlist changing at all, unless they happen to do some European festival shows.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 11:31:33 AM »
I guess what I am trying to say is, given what they are specifically trying to accomplish with this tour, I do not anticipate a second leg or second "tour" of them just presenting The Astonishing.  The fact that the number of shows on this tour is somewhat limited is by design, and I don't see them going back and trying to fill the gaps and play this same show in other places that they missed.  I would instead anticipate a more traditional tour sometime soon after, whether late summer/fall, or early next year.  I could easily be mistaken, but that type of thing seems in line with JP's mindset.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
I'd like for a second run-though of the States to be more of a traditional set. Considering the last two tours (this upcoming one and the 2014 tour) relied SOO heavily on just 4 albums (Awake, Scenes, DT, TA), I'd rather go see them play a traditional evening with show hitting on MOST of the albums. I've mocked up a set real quick that I think is pretty good, where it hits a bunch of songs Mangini hasn't played with the band, most of the albums (skipping Awake and Scenes for obvious reasons), while also making an effort to keep some Astonishing songs and other MM-era songs. Plus an epic encore.

0.   False Awakening Suite (Intro Tape)
1.   In the Presence of Enemies – Part 1
2.   Honor Thy Father
---JLB Hello, introduction of a song never played on tour---
3.   The Bigger Picture
4.   Hell’s Kitchen
5.   The Gift of Music
6.   Blind Faith
7.   Outcry
8.   Surrender to Reason
---intermission---
9.   A Nightmare to Remember
10.   Behind the Veil
11.   Another Hand/The Killing Hand
12.   Losing Faythe
13.   Whispers on the Wind
14.   Hymn of a Thousand Voices
15.   Our New World
16.   Take the Time
---encore---
17.   Octavarium

EDIT - also, what bosk said.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 11:44:20 AM by OpenYourEyes311 »
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
^I think something like that is fairly realistic.  And that would actually be a pretty good set list too.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
I like this set, except replace Losing Faythe - Whispers on the Wind - Hymn of a Thousand Voices - Our New World sequence with The Answer - A Better Life - Lord Nafaryus - A Savior in the Square - When Your Time Has Come - Three Days sequence (leave out Act of Faythe) and I'll be all over it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »
^I think something like that is fairly realistic.  And that would actually be a pretty good set list too.

Take out Honor Thy Father and Hell's Kitchen for just about anything else and let Outcry close the first set instead and I'd greatly enjoy such a set as well.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 11:48:10 AM »

Thanks ;)

Also, when was the last time they played a show where the opener was a song NOT from the newest album? I guess they did so on the 30th Anniversary tour (Afterlife is a great opener!), but the last time I saw them do it was in 2004 in Worcester when they opened with Metropolis. I love it when the opener is a complete surprise. Something like ItPoE1 would be really cool and unexpected, I think.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 11:54:09 AM »
I like this set, except replace Losing Faythe - Whispers on the Wind - Hymn of a Thousand Voices - Our New World sequence with The Answer - A Better Life - Lord Nafaryus - A Savior in the Square - When Your Time Has Come - Three Days sequence (leave out Act of Faythe) and I'll be all over it.

Take out Honor Thy Father and Hell's Kitchen for just about anything else and let Outcry close the first set instead and I'd greatly enjoy such a set as well.

Hmm, yes, personal opinions aside (I'm sure the band would have their own as well), HTF could be replaced with another ToT track (TDS would be cool), and really any "suite" from TA would work. I think Hell's Kitchen would make a great intro to The Gift of Music, though. To each his own, this was really more of a rough draft to get something more traditional after the past few tours have had "themes" (forgot to include the 30th Ann. set in my original post, which was a bit more traditional, but that's still a theme of going chronologically)

EDIT - sorry for double post!
WELP.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 12:18:45 PM »
I guess what I am trying to say is, given what they are specifically trying to accomplish with this tour, I do not anticipate a second leg or second "tour" of them just presenting The Astonishing.  The fact that the number of shows on this tour is somewhat limited is by design, and I don't see them going back and trying to fill the gaps and play this same show in other places that they missed.  I would instead anticipate a more traditional tour sometime soon after, whether late summer/fall, or early next year.  I could easily be mistaken, but that type of thing seems in line with JP's mindset.
Not sure I'm getting that same feeling. If I'm not mistaken, I think they had said that this tour would be just about the new album. And especially considering the fact that so much of Europe is being skipped this time around, I can't help but think that they'll at least do another run thru there later this year. Hopefully they'll also go thru North America again and finally hit the southern region they've overlooked.

I guess the reason why I really feel they won't do anything else is because of what they did in 2014. The setlist never changed at all for any of the Evening With shows despite what band members had said when they would play the same cities a second time around. So I'd expect the same will be true this time around...unless this tour just proves to be too much for JL, which honestly it could be. If that were the case, then I could see them going back to more of a standard format show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 12:24:09 PM »
I guess what I am trying to say is, given what they are specifically trying to accomplish with this tour, I do not anticipate a second leg or second "tour" of them just presenting The Astonishing.  The fact that the number of shows on this tour is somewhat limited is by design, and I don't see them going back and trying to fill the gaps and play this same show in other places that they missed.

Unless the album and/or tour has an incredibly positive reception that warrants another leg, but I'm not holding my breath /Texas sadness.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
I made this one in the other thread a few days ago-

Evening with DT 2017

Descent of the NOMACS
Dystopian Overture
The Gift of Music
The Enemy Inside
-
Constant Motion
Light Fuse and Get Away
Three Days
The Hovering Sojourn
Brother Can You Hear Me
A Life Left Behind
Outcry
Octavarium

*Clock goes back 20 years*
New Millenium
Just Let me Breathe
Hell's Kitchen
Lines in the Sand
-
Surrender to Reason
Take the Time
The Great Debate
Chosen
Moment of Betrayal
Road to Revolution

Glass Prison

I think I'd happily pay twice the ticket price to see this  :lol  :lol :metal

Edit: added Chosen. Really should be there :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:36:15 PM by TheAtliator »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 01:25:43 PM »
I find that setlist to be a nightmare TheAtliator, shows how different DT fans are sometimes :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »

That sounds promising.   :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 01:57:17 PM »

That sounds promising.   :)

Well, I do want to make sure I am not creating any misimpressions though.  I do not have any insider knowledge specific to this tour.  I am basing that off of just some other things I know and have learned over time, most of which is either public knowledge or can easily be deduced from things that are public knowledge.  To kind of summarize a couple of the main things that jump out in my mind:

-A few years back, I had a brief conversation with JP about Mike's proposal that they take a hiatus and reform.  Remember the timing of that for a second and put it in context.  For Black Clouds, they had NOT done a regular DT headlining tour in North America.  They did Prog Nation, which was a shorter set and, if I'm not mistaken, was 23 dates, and they opened for Maiden, which was a short set and was, I think, 26 dates.  A lot of fans held out waiting for that proper headlining tour to support the albums, which ultimately never came.  I said that I felt like, even though PN is cool enough, and the Maiden tour was definitely a good idea for the band in terms of exposure, they lost some momentum by not doing a tour supporting an album that had had such a high chart release, and that it seemed like the proposal to take a hiatus for a couple of years would have slowed their momentum even further.  John said my instincts were dead-on, and that was pretty much how they felt.  To kind of restate and paraphrase on of the themes of that conversation:  JP seems to be strongly of the opinion that, while it is a good idea to break the mold and try new things, it is important to make sure to consistently give the fans what they want in a live setting so that they keep coming back and the momentum does not lose steam.

-On the present tour, JP has said that they want to do a limited run of shows in a different kind of venue so that they can present his vision of The Astonishing.  They key to me here is that these are different venues, and this is a limited run.  So I don't think they are planning to do another North American leg where they do the same thing and book more of these types of theaters to present The Astonishing.

Putting both of those together, I just think they will do some sort of more traditional tour later on in this tour cycle so that the larger fan base will get more of the type of show they are used to and can hear some of their favorite songs.  That just makes the most sense to me.  John understands that, although the band was fortunate to have garnered a huge fanbase doing something completely different than "mainstream music," they have found a formula that works.  And despite that this album and tour are very different for DT, he has shown in the past that he is careful about straying too far (in his mind) from that formula. 

So...that's basically my thinking.  I could be totally off base.  But time will tell.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »
^^^You'd think it would be the opposite, since they put so much effort into this album being a complete cohesive work, and the effort of a (hopefully) elaborate production show, that they'd wanna milk the hell out of this thing and bring it literally everywhere.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
@bosk That actually seems completely rational. I don't think they're just going to do this small tour performing The Astonishing and then not tour again until the next album comes out. That seems like a ridiculously short tour. It seems to make sense that they'll take a break after this tour and then do a more comprehensive world tour.

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »
OP's setlist idea would be amazing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 02:22:35 PM »
^^^You'd think it would be the opposite, since they put so much effort into this album being a complete cohesive work, and the effort of a (hopefully) elaborate production show, that they'd wanna milk the hell out of this thing and bring it literally everywhere.
No way, that would make no business sense. Those who love it and are desparate to see them play it in full will do so this time around. There'd be no benefit to doing it again.

I agree with bosk's rationale - it would make far more sense to follow the theatre tour up with a more traditional tour that a bigger number of fans will be more comfortable with.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
@Bosk: sound thinking... inline with what I think will happen

They might take the Astonishing show on a short run through Mexico and South America (not likley though)

I think they will do a "normal" tour in the fall, keeping a couple of scenes/suites from TA but also giving the fans a run through of most other albums. I don't think they will celebrate SDoiT on the tour though..

I also think that they will take a longer break between this and the next album working on solo projects and possibly extensions to TA as JP has alluded too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 02:32:29 PM »
@bosk That actually seems completely rational.
That settles it.

It will never happen that way.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline craig1928

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »
No way, that would make no business sense. Those who love it and are desparate to see them play it in full will do so this time around. There'd be no benefit to doing it again.

I agree with bosk's rationale - it would make far more sense to follow the theatre tour up with a more traditional tour that a bigger number of fans will be more comfortable with.

I'm praying you're wrong, I can't get to any 1st leg shows so I'm pretty much banking on there being a 2nd leg of the astonishing

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 02:36:39 PM »

Same here, but banking on it, I'm afraid, is not likely. But I am definitely hoping.

I'm praying you're wrong, I can't get to any 1st leg shows so I'm pretty much banking on there being a 2nd leg of the astonishing
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline craig1928

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »

Same here, but banking on it, I'm afraid, is not likely. But I am definitely hoping.

are you saying you personally don't think there will be a 2nd leg of the astonishing?

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2016, 04:17:37 PM »
A Change of Seasons in it's entirety hasn't been performed in the UK for... forever. Just sayin'
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:08 PM »
If they do anything from disc 1 of SDoIT on the next tour, The Glass Prison is a must. They haven't played it in 10 years and it's a fan favorite. The crowd would go completely nuts for it.

Wow, was the first Gigantour 10 years ago already?  :eek

Edit:  Yep, 2005. I guess you're right!  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:26:40 PM by BFRedrocks »

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 04:23:05 PM »
I'd like for a second run-though of the States to be more of a traditional set. Considering the last two tours (this upcoming one and the 2014 tour) relied SOO heavily on just 4 albums (Awake, Scenes, DT, TA), I'd rather go see them play a traditional evening with show hitting on MOST of the albums. I've mocked up a set real quick that I think is pretty good, where it hits a bunch of songs Mangini hasn't played with the band, most of the albums (skipping Awake and Scenes for obvious reasons), while also making an effort to keep some Astonishing songs and other MM-era songs. Plus an epic encore.

0.   False Awakening Suite (Intro Tape)
1.   In the Presence of Enemies – Part 1
2.   Honor Thy Father
---JLB Hello, introduction of a song never played on tour---
3.   The Bigger Picture
4.   Hell’s Kitchen
5.   The Gift of Music
6.   Blind Faith
7.   Outcry
8.   Surrender to Reason
---intermission---
9.   A Nightmare to Remember
10.   Behind the Veil
11.   Another Hand/The Killing Hand
12.   Losing Faythe
13.   Whispers on the Wind
14.   Hymn of a Thousand Voices
15.   Our New World
16.   Take the Time
---encore---
17.   Octavarium

EDIT - also, what bosk said.

I'm down with that man!
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 05:09:29 PM »
Those who don't get to see The Astonishing, well we can always pray for a live release somehow and somewhen.

Offline chaossystem

• We're on to your agenda, the dead-end road to nowhere.
  • Chapters unfinished, fading
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
I've been harping on the fact that I&W, 6DoiT, and FII as WELL as 6DoiT have all got anniversaries coming up next year, and I've come up with an idea that commemorates all FOUR of those albums, as well as including a few songs from the last couple of albums, AND gives a little "nod" to The Astonishing.

You might not like my arrangement, but I at least hope you like my selection-

Set One:
1) Just Let Me Breathe
2) Prophets of War
3) Learning to Live
4) About to Crash/
5) War Inside My Head/
6) The Test That Stumped Them All
7) Outcry
8) Forsaken
9) Surrender to Reason
10) Hell's Kitchen
11) Pull Me Under

~~~~Intermission~~~~

Set Two:
1) The Dark Eternal Night
2) Take the Time
3) Lines in the Sand
4) Solitary Shell/
5) About to Crash (Reprise)
6) In the Presence of Enemies, Pt.1
7) This is the Life
8) Hollow Years
9) The Looking Glass
10) Metropolis

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Encore:
1) The Gift of Music
2) Astonishing
I can't stop the world from turning around, or the pull of the moon on the tide, but I don't believe that we're in this alone, I believe we're along for the ride...

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
It really brings me down that if they don't play TA in Mexico, I'll likely spend the rest of my lifetime without ever hearing it live.
Jatruccyundessgini