Author Topic: The Video Game Music Thread, The top ___ video game music...  (Read 8199 times)

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
The Video Game Music Thread, The top ___ video game music...
« on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:21 AM »
Do you ever pay attention to music in video games? If you do, they can say alot and mean a lot.

If there is enough support and are willing to follow, we can have a  top 25, similar to Sacul or just post a video game music and people give thoughts.

If anyone wants in, either PM me or post it here.

1. CableX (ongoing)
2. ASacrificedSon
3. Sacul

In the future:
1. BlobVanDam
2. Lynxo
3. Tiojorge
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:53:46 PM by ASacrificedSon »
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Cable

Re: The Video Game Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:59:48 PM »
Excellent idea!!! VG is a big part of my life. I'd be down with doing a top 25 list too. A lot of my top 25 would not be in my top 25 games.

I'm partial to 8bit music, so chiptunes. But I also grew up playing NES. So many great stuff. While new VG music is great, due to having no limitations, there at times is charm in limitations.

The current soundtrack I'm burning thru is the game people are polarized on- Undertale. It really has nothing to do with being mostly chiptunes, but rather just being awesome and so fitting of the game. It feels at times the songs came before the characters, and guided their personalities.
---

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »
Excellent idea!!! VG is a big part of my life. I'd be down with doing a top 25 list too. A lot of my top 25 would not be in my top 25 games.

I'm partial to 8bit music, so chiptunes. But I also grew up playing NES. So many great stuff. While new VG music is great, due to having no limitations, there at times is charm in limitations.

The current soundtrack I'm burning thru is the game people are polarized on- Undertale. It really has nothing to do with being mostly chiptunes, but rather just being awesome and so fitting of the game. It feels at times the songs came before the characters, and guided their personalities.
:tup
Welcome!
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:41:50 PM »
I could've sworn there was a thread for this already but maybe not and I'm too lazy to search so...

LOVE THIS SHIT!

All-time favorites include, with a general but ever-changing ranking (except for numero uno which is pretty much always up there):

Shoji Meguro (Shin Megami Tensei series)
Ryota Koduka (Only heard his stuff on MegaTenIV but it's that good)
Koji Kondo (Zelda)
Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy)
Koichi Sugiyama (Dragon Quest)
Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill)
Kenji Yamamoto (Metroid)
Michiru Yamane (all of the best Castlevania titles...except IV, so shout outs to Taro Kudou and Masanori Adachi  :P )

I think that's all I can remember for now... I listen to a shitload of vidja gaym music all of the time. Almost as much, and sometimes more so than my favorite bands, depending on my mood. Awesome stuff from everyone I mentioned from techno-punk to brooding melancholy to whimsical bliss and back down to some eerie sci/fi grooving. Love it all. Shoji Meguro is without a doubt my favorite composer of all the timelines.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
Koji Kondo is a major YES.
Also Mario has a really nice music.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »
Imma take Tio's already-perfect list and add

Yuzo Koshiro (Ys, Etrian Odyssey)
Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger)
Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts, Mario & Luigi)
Motoi Sakuraba (Tales Of... Games, Star Ocean, Dark Souls, various Mario sports titles)

:metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:23 PM »
Videogames have some of the best music out there - hell, even 5 OSTs made my top 50, with the Mario Galaxy one at #5. It's just superb. But it was a tough battle with the SM64 soundtrack, mainly because of Dire, Dire Docks. Koji Kondo is the man  :hefdaddy

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:50:11 PM »
I've thought of doing a "25 favourite VG soundtracks" list a few times, but never bothered because of the effort involved to create such a list, and the probable lack of variety in my list.

But if there's interest in doing this I would definitely follow.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 10:02:32 PM »
Great! I'm willing and I think other people will.
And for galaxy, is it gusty garden, Sacul?
And DDD is so peaceful!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 10:05:47 PM »
I don't think it's a coincidence that most of my favourite games also happen to have excellent soundtracks, and if I ranked soundtracks, it would probably be somewhat close to my list of favourite games. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 12:11:31 AM »
Uematsu, definitely, and while I haven't played many Final Fantasy games, his music is just amazing.

I *have* at least played a couple of Kingdom Hearts and Mario & Luigi games and I have to say, Shimomura's music is pretty damn good, and I look forward to hearing her work in FF XV and KHIII in the coming years...ish...

Kondo just for historical significance, but also because his new mixes of songs on Super Mario Maker, during the Maker session, is pretty damn good. The music changes as you work on making a level, fading different elements of the music in and out of the main track, while creating an aural experience that is always fresh, keeping level-making and editing a fun time!

And Meguro, because of the music I've heard from Persona 3 and 4, as well as their spin-offs and anime, and what I've heard of the Persona 5 OST from trailers and such, his music continues to astound me as the years go on. One of the freshest game composers I've heard in years!

Of course, JRPGs continue to feature some of the best video game music, and I doubt that'll ever change, especially with such a wide array of talented composers working on those JRPGs!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 12:33:06 AM »
Kondo just for historical significance, but also because his new mixes of songs on Super Mario Maker, during the Maker session, is pretty damn good. The music changes as you work on making a level, fading different elements of the music in and out of the main track, while creating an aural experience that is always fresh, keeping level-making and editing a fun time!

That jazzy remix of the SMB1 underground theme is just orgasmic.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 01:38:36 AM »
I'm about as casual of a video game player as you can get. Last time was in July last year, when i played KOTOR 1 for about an hour. :biggrin:
But i do love some VG soundtracks very much!

The Metroid Prime trilogy (Prime, Echoes, Corruption) has some amazing music! I can't remember who is behind the soundtrack in those games. As mentioned above, the KOTOR games have some great soundtracks as well. As well as Mass Effect and Dragon Age games from the same developer. If i remember correctly, it was Inon Zur for Dragon Age games and Sam Hulick and Jack Wall for Mass Effect.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:05 AM »
Kenji Yamamoto, and he is indeed a god of ambient sci/fi loving.

+10 to Kingdom Hearts and Chrono Trigger.

Oh and one extremely important one that in the back of my mind I knew I'd forgotten:

Mo'fuggin' Keiichi Suzuki, the great composer for the Mother series, AKA Earthbound. That one would have easily taken the cake as my favorite soundtrack when I was a youngin'. So. Good. So. Weird. Yes!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
Off course, Nobou Uematso is a beast. But he's also really funny - I got the opporturnity to see him at a piano concert. It was a chill experience where he had an amazing piano player performing his music and between songs, he answered questions. He encouraged the audience to clap and shout, and he threw out some pins and said that the people who got them are responsible for shouting the most.  :lol

Other than that, I find that the 8-bit and 16-bit eras of video game contains BY FAR the best songs, simply because they're all so incredibly melody based. Especially true for the NES era where you didn't really had much more than lead melody, base line and perhaps some sort of percussion. It's amazing what some composers were able to create under those limitations.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
back in the day (the early 90's), I had an Amiga computer and found the game "Shadow of the Beast".

I thought it was the coolest game ever and the soundtrack was awesome, well, for that time period anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZA_IAaN-Q
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 07:59:50 AM »
 :D
Im seeing enthusiasm!
 You guys down for the top 25 or whatever video game music? After you post, everyone can give thoughts on the music.
Are you guys willing to participate?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 08:13:10 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: The Video Game Music Thread, The top 25 video game music...
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:18 AM »
Koji Kondo was my shit. The Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask soundtracks get me every time.

A major yes to Chrono Trigger as well. :hefdaddy

That's just to name a very short few. As for a more nostalgic pick, I remember having this racing game on the SNES called Top Gear and recall the soundtrack being pretty killer.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
And for galaxy, is it gusty garden, Sacul?
Absolutely  :hefdaddy

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »
That earns a big fat YES.
Have that for a ring tone :D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:03 AM »
Also, if any Utematsu/Final Fantasy fans haven't heard them yet, you guys should check out Marc Papeghin's medleys on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4BC2E1D41F55F389

Some AMAZING arrangements and performances by him (on drums, keys, guitars, and brass instruments), as well as many guests. He's a prog-inspired musician, and it really shows in his arrangements and playing, and he's also a Dream Theater fan! I wonder if he posts on this board??

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cable

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »
I'm down for the top 25, will there be a list of people?
---

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
Yep! I got a few.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
I usually don't pay that much attention to soundtracks in video games, but the Witcher series has some absolutely fantastic music. As well es being fantastic games of course.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
Re: The Video Game Music Thread, The top ___ video game music...
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2016, 12:37:27 PM »
I guess we can begin! I messaged CableX. If he doesn't want to go today, I'll start off this list.

Offline Cable

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 03:20:14 PM »
Alright all, tonight I'll post an honorable mention, and then my 25th game soundtrack after. I hope to bang out at least two per day until the top 5. But I am still filling out my list and ranking the remaining 24.
---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 03:56:19 PM »
my favorite game soundtracks are probably Okami and Knott Underground but the latter is probably just because of how much I love the game tbh

Offline Cable

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 03:56:31 PM »
Alright, so here is my Mostly Japanese, Mostly Crappy Chiptune list!

Honorable Mention: Robert "Bobby' Prince - Doom (1993)

This soundtrack is quite killer. I also have so many fond memories of the game, and when I first saw it. My brother's friend had a brand new Pentium PC, which was a big deal back then. The sound of the shotgun sounded so cool back then- now it sounds like crap.  :lol

Anyway, the soundtrack. It would be higher if Bobby Prince didn't cop at least 10 rock and metal songs for his HIGHLY inspired by songs. Doom2 was not much different, but less of re-writing riffs to my knowledge. Songs such as ACDC Big Gun, Slayer Behind the Crooked Cross, Pantera Mouth For War among many others make their appearance. That said, Prince did write some more original songs I think. And those were pretty solid too. Even despite the heavily inspired by songs, they still sound awesome. Going to back then again, sounds still were not where they are now. So it was so cool to hear a solid MIDI soundtrack.

On a tangent, those that programmed some more popular Deathmatch WADs (Dwango!) continued the trend with their maps, only just outright placing MIDIs of songs in the games. Nine Inch Nails was common if I recall.
---

Offline Cable

Re: The Video Game Music Thread, Top 25 Mostly Japanese, Mostly Crappy Chiptune
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 07:00:10 PM »
So into the top 25. At the end of each entry, I will tease the next one on the list.

To start, back to back creepy horror games.

25. Junko Tamiya - Sweet Home (1989)

This game can go screw itself. And thanks for not releasing this Nintendo of America in the States. This game is truly unsettling, which says a lot considering its medium of the Nintendo Entertainment System was so limited. The music is absolutely PHENOMENAL at setting up a nearly never-ending atmosphere of sheer terror IMO. The game itself is no slouch, being so unique for a game back then- characters who died stayed dead! How is that for additionally making the game creepy, and survival horror-esque (Capcom says this inspired Resident Evil). The battle music is creepy in of itself, so there really is no break in my view.

Check this game out. I didn’t find out about it until this excellent Kotaku article: https://kotaku.com/the-nes-game-that-inspired-resident-evil-1687040111. It is at least worth reading about.

So the other creepy game? More chip tune fabulous placed into a Macventure port. Go get that evil wizard!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:00:46 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2016, 07:57:46 PM »
I did something similar focussing on battle themes a few years ago. Might be interesting to revisit that as I've come across some new ones that I loved.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2016, 08:16:48 PM »
So into the top 25. At the end of each entry, I will tease the next one on the list.

25. Junko Tamiya - Sweet Home (1989)

This game can go screw itself. And thanks for not releasing this Nintendo of America in the States. This game is truly unsettling, which says a lot considering its medium of the Nintendo Entertainment System was so limited. The music is absolutely PHENOMENAL at setting up a nearly never-ending atmosphere of sheer terror IMO. The game itself is no slouch, being so unique for a game back then- characters who died stayed dead! How is that for additionally making the game creepy, and survival horror-esque (Capcom says this inspired Resident Evil). The battle music is creepy in of itself, so there really is no break in my view.

Check this game out. I didn’t find out about it until this excellent Kotaku article: https://kotaku.com/the-nes-game-that-inspired-resident-evil-1687040111. It is at least worth reading about.

So the other creepy game? More chip tune fabulous placed into a Macventure port. Go get that evil wizard!
That music is pretty sweet! I should go play that game :tup

I did something similar focussing on battle themes a few years ago. Might be interesting to revisit that as I've come across some new ones that I loved.
Should be pretty interesting!

Offline Cable

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2016, 12:41:08 PM »
24. Hiroyuki Masuno - Shadowgate (1989)

This game can screw itself as well. This was my first horror game I think, and boy did I hate it back then mainly because of the fear factor. So many deaths, accompanied by so much creepy music and scenes. However, the music that was created for the NES release is fantastic, and perfectly fits the moods of the game. And it starts off on a great theme when you push start. It makes you feel like your character; a knight or whatever sent to conquer a wizard and his behemoth.

Rock it out with this cover; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UX_cayV8dk

I will now leave primarily horror games alone for a while, only to have a great comeback near the top of the list.

…One word; Snake…
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 02:11:18 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »
I remember this game, but not its soundtrack.

Offline Cable

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »
23. Kazuki Muraoka, Hiroyuki Togo, Takanari Ishiyama, Lee Jeon Myung, Maki Kirioka - Metal Gear Solid (1998)

Alright, this isn’t that good as I remember. The soundtrack isn’t fancy at all, and if I had a do over it probably would be off the list. But, the music meshes well to this game, and accents everything. It fits the moments and style of the play. It also has the famous theme, so it's not terrible. Plus, I guess the game isn’t all that bad.  :P

I also think that with PSOne is when soundtracks were able to be nearly full blown without many limitations. So composers I reckon were able to blend in more with the game, and accentuate things vs. droning chiptunes and what not.

I actually almost the NES port of MG, and/or it’s bastard sequel Snake’s Revenge. But decided to go with the well known MGS. Those two games deserve mentions though for their tunes, or at least I liked them.

Up next, Stage 3 with some apparent TMNT knockoff toads…
---