Author Topic: The Gift of Music Official Music Video  (Read 7237 times)

Offline Viking of the Sagas

Re: The Gift of Music Official Music Video
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:36 AM »
I guess the band members are in denial about the unfortunately limited CGI, then? Or is that just part of the marketing. I'm guessing the latter.

It IS a nice video, though. Air guitaring, lip syncing and CGI aside, it IS well put together.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 08:51:56 AM »
That's the kind of room I want to see/hear them play LIVE in!!!  Just 5 dudes in a room rockin out! :metal
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
Not a good video, but DT has never done videos well, so my expectations were low.
Basically this. It was an awful video. I don't know why they keep returning to CGI. IMO their best videos are the ones that just showcase the band (e.g. Wither).

One of the youtube comments points out that at 0:35, you can see the top parts of the drones being cropped off as they rise up. It looks so horrible.

"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 12:48:20 PM »
Even the shots of the band playing are bad.  They look completely unnatural standing in that circular position with them all in facing inward, but with JLB in the middle, plus JP is like stuck back in the corner nearly out of sight.  It's just a weird look.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
I don't hate it, but it would have been better without the CGI stuff.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 04:59:53 PM »
I really don't expect much with their videos. Does anybody really think they're going to make this huge production, a la Michael Jackson, for it to never be played? This is just them promoting the song and nothing more. Who cares who's standing where?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »
The room they're playing in should have better presentation.  Looks boring.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
I think it would have been better for the concept if they all had worn pink wigs.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 08:13:56 PM »
I really don't expect much with their videos. Does anybody really think they're going to make this huge production, a la Michael Jackson, for it to never be played? This is just them promoting the song and nothing more. Who cares who's standing where?

I would think Steven Wilson has far less money to throw around, but he makes these types of videos:

https://youtu.be/sh5mWzKlhQY

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 02:42:06 AM »
I would think Steven Wilson has far less money to throw around
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

But yeah, Steven Wilson's videos are some of the best out there.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 07:22:13 AM »

I would think Steven Wilson has far less money to throw around, but he makes these types of videos:

https://youtu.be/sh5mWzKlhQY

Who said it has anything to do with money? It's a personal choice of theirs not to make overly extravagant videos.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 10:41:45 AM »
If they don't care, why make a video at all then? I mean, if your ARE going to make one, at least make sure the fricking NOMACS aren't cut off.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:13 AM »
Never liked any of the Dream Theater music videos so I basically went in with zero expectations, not disappointed nor impressed by this video, it's just a standard DT video.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »
If they don't care, why make a video at all then? I mean, if your ARE going to make one, at least make sure the fricking NOMACS aren't cut off.

Ask the label. I'm sure it's them that wanted a video.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 02:59:11 AM »

Ask the label. I'm sure it's them that wanted a video.

Probably this.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2016, 06:37:13 AM »
Maybe I have out of it, but anyone notice JLB's Majesty ring. I never noticed it until I watched the video on my big screen tv.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »
Finally saw it too! I like the style of the video, their look and their clothes. (That hair straightener though........)

I'll probably never watch it again (not a big fan of video themselves, videos were useful when internet was not around and all you could cling upon to listen to your band was the video on MTV), but I appreciated it for what it is.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2016, 01:07:29 PM »
Finally saw it too! I like the style of the video, their look and their clothes. (That hair straightener though........)

I'll probably never watch it again (not a big fan of video themselves, videos were useful when internet was not around and all you could cling upon to listen to your band was the video on MTV), but I appreciated it for what it is.

The song was much more enjoyable with the video.  MM looked like he just finished a 2 hour plus set.  Maybe it took several takes.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2016, 02:20:19 PM »
This video does nothing but JP's guitar is flawless with those golden hardware and deep red finish  :heart :o :metal :metal :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E