Author Topic: Who is the best musician in Dream Theater?  (Read 7309 times)

Offline hockeydude25

Re: Who is the best musician in Dream Theater?
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
I am very surprised that nobody has said JMX.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:56 AM »
In my opinion, JR is the best keyboardist, JP the best guitarist, MM the best drummer, JM the best bassist, and JLB the best singer.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »
If we're going off of how much formal training someone has, then it has to be Rudess followed by Mangini. If we're going by how well they apply their knowledge to writing music, then I would say Petrucci.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 10:56:34 AM »
It's gotta be Rudess. They're all virtuoso's, but he's an actual musical prodigy on his instrument.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
i think Rudess and Mangini are robots, so that leaves the other 3. Hoping for JM to do more solo stuff so we can actually hear him again.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »
I'm wondering if there has ever been a band with a higher average skill-level than Dream Theater. I don't think so.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Not saying that to be argumentative, but I just think that for the time, for the state of the instruments, and the state of the music scene, those three were just simply the very best of their chosen profession, independent of the material they produced.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
Well, as most of you have done, we sort of have to say what the standard is before we answer.   And since all of you are mostly right (they are all amazing players at their instruments), I sort of take it in a different direction.   

I've played in enough bands to know that with appropriate time and repetition, almost anyone can get almost any piece under fingers.  I'm always amazed (not in a good way) at guys in big name bands that can basically only play THEIR material.   So for me, the real sign is, can they play outside their comfort zone, and outside their genre?  Then of course, is, can they improvise and write in other genres, or in any genre?

I don't doubt that all five can do things in other genres, and maybe even fool us into thinking it's their main genre.   But I think only one pretty much can play, write, and improvise in ANY context, and perhaps has no limitations on his instrument:  Jordan Rudess.   I can't help but think there's a genre out there that Mangini could play, but you'd be like "hey, listen to the prog guy playing that" and you could tell it wasn't his native language so to speak.  Same with the remaining three.  But I feel like Rudess really has no limitations on his ability.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »
Rudess is the most talented, but Petrucci is best at using his talent for real-world application.

And Jordan doesn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_euEsk4Rfg

Offline pcs90

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2016, 12:43:05 PM »
I love listening to Jordan's solo material more than his stuff in DT, and that includes LTE also. It really is incomprehensible just how gifted he is and there is probably so much more that we haven't seen.
Me too. Jordan's solo stuff really is amazing, and many times I feel he plays with more passion and emotion in that context.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2016, 12:50:34 PM »
Rudess is the most talented, but Petrucci is best at using his talent for real-world application.

And Jordan doesn't?

What's really awesome is that Jordan is wearing a Haken t-shirt in the video haha

Offline Don Judge

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 12:54:54 PM »
As playing piano myself I am probably a litte bit "biased", but for me it's Jordan. (...and if he still was part of DT, I would say Mike is on a comparable level concerning technique and creativity with his drums...)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 02:03:02 PM by Don Judge »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 05:12:09 PM »
I'm wondering if there has ever been a band with a higher average skill-level than Dream Theater. I don't think so.

Haven't listened to much music, have you?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 05:32:50 PM »
Myung doesn't have nearly as many opportunities to show off like Petrucci & Ruddess but I get the sense that they're all equally good on their respective instruments.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline DT_12_Octavarium

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
IMO it's petrucci in a landslide. it's really not even close.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 05:44:35 PM »
At first I was like  :|  But then I  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 06:07:07 PM »
IMO it's petrucci in a landslide. it's really not even close.

Actually Rudess is closer than you think. I admit that Petrucci is good, but Rudess also is extraordinary.
It's hard to compare those members and come to a conclusion of the "best musician" as they play their different instruments, but they're all talented.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »

And Jordan doesn't?

What's really awesome is that Jordan is wearing a Haken t-shirt in the video haha

Indeed, he is.  :lol

:lol

I kind of know what he's trying to say, but it's extremely short-sighted.

Offline pdurbin22

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 07:51:05 PM »
I think every band member, past and present, would agree that Jordan is the most prodigiously gifted musician in their ranks.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 07:52:46 PM »
I think every band member, past and present, would agree that Jordan is the most prodigiously gifted musician in their ranks.

Except for himself, that's what I admire and love most of that guy, he would be the last person to say he's the best.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 09:21:57 PM »
The answer really depends on what your definition of musician entails. I think JP is the best all-rounder since he can both write and play.

I think Rudess can write as well, but from a prolific standpoint, JP is miles ahead of him, and writing is part of being a musician, so JP is the correct answer here, I think.

Now, if you asked who is the best "player" in Dream Theater, that would be another thing... But ignoring writing when discussing comparing musicians is not something you can do, IMO.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2016, 09:51:58 PM »
I think Rudess can write as well, but from a prolific standpoint, JP is miles ahead of him, and writing is part of being a musician, so JP is the correct answer here, I think.
Well, are we only talking about their writing within DT or do side projects also count? Because if we count other projects Jordan writes just as much I would say, and the music is arguably more detailed (check out his solo album "Feeding the Wheel" for example).

Offline thosava

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2016, 11:09:38 PM »

I was thinking in the lines of rock music for the most part, but there are of course some jazz-fusion bands with incredible skill levels. I would say DT rivals a lot of them. (Im not thinking about classical as those arent bands, but  often orchestras consisting of many more instruments

Offline genome

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 03:19:51 AM »
I guess the criterion is too vague here. What are we judging on? Technical ability, compositional ability, best style, speed, phrasing, what their playing makes you feel?

There are a lot of things that go into making a good musician.

Offline thosava

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 04:50:41 AM »
I guess the criterion is too vague here. What are we judging on? Technical ability, compositional ability, best style, speed, phrasing, what their playing makes you feel?

There are a lot of things that go into making a good musician.

I was thinking mostly about technical and compositional abilities. I think one can objectively say that John Petrucci is better techincally than David Gilmour, but to say wich one is a better guitarist is meaningless.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 11:17:44 AM »
The safe bet is Rudess.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2016, 04:30:38 PM »
Lars is the best them.
Thank you. I was waiting for this but no one catched up.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline FsF

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »
While I reckon Mangini is probably closer to the top of his field, I just can't vote against Rudess.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:56 AM »
I would lean toward Rudess due to his strength when it comes to theory, sight reading, etc.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »
John Petrucci!

They are all extremely talented, but I do believe no JP no DT!

Offline pretorios

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
Jordan, hands down. He was a childhood prodigy and attended Julliard's pre-college program when he was only 9. He's gifted. Not only that, but he's an expert on keyboard technology. Even JP says that Jordan's music reading if off the charts.

Just watch some of his instruction videos. The dude can do wonders just playing a simple major chord in different forms. Jordan is a rare, rare talent, who could play any form of music he chose to play.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2016, 08:29:53 PM »
Jordan for playing, Petrucci for songwriting.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »
No JP, No DT.  Its that simple. 

I like Rudess but personally think the Keys were considerably better on I&W and Awake.   Kevin Moore blows Rudess out of the water on those two efforts.  With that said, SFAM is my favorite DT album so I still love Rudess I just don't think he has the vision that JP or Kevin Moore have.   He is certainly a great player though.

So the answer is JP.