Author Topic: ASACRIFICEDSON's Top 50 albums  (Read 2713 times)

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
ASACRIFICEDSON's Top 50 albums
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:40:01 PM »
Welcome to the top fifty albums. It was rather hard as I had limited options, buy I have the list ready!
Most of the list consists of DT, Ax, opeth, and a few Greendays. You might be pretty shocked of how undiverse this list is. No Muse, no metallica, Fates warning, haken, etc.....yeah I know, but I haven't ventured out to new bands yet.
Maybe ask me in 5 years and it will be totally different. We shall see...
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
Re: ASACRIFICEDSON's Top 50 albums
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
Number 50: Sounding the Seventh Trumpet by Avenged Sevenfold

Probably the first Avenged Sevenfold album I was introduced to before it paved the way. Now, I'm not a big fan this album, compared to all the other Avenged Sevenfold's album, but I still love it to death. Oh and the reason I don't like this is not because of the growling. On the contrary, I love the growling to death and I am a fan of harsh, heavy vocals. The main reason this isn't higher on this list is because it gets kind of stale once you keep on listening to it. Now Hail to the King or any Dream Theater/Opeth albums, I could never get tired of, but this....well, I get tired of it easily.

Highlights: Shattered by Broken Dreams, Darkness Surrounding, The Art of Subconscious Illusion
Lowlights: Lips of Deceit, Street
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »
I never liked them so I'll pass this one :yeahright
Looking forward to rest of the list though  :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
I'll check your list out. That being said, I've actually never listened to A7X before so I have no opinion here.   :lol   Looking forward to seeing more though.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 05:19:18 PM »
Ah, thanks guys. This should perhaps be more familiar. ;)

Number 49: When Day and Dream Unite by Dream Theater

Ah, When Day and Dream Unite. A very strong song by Dream Theater and I'd have to say, Charlie Dominici sung excellently. The other members of the band played their respective instruments well too! I wouldn't call this album a loss at all! Dream Theater creates a lot of great material. This album is great, but compared to the others...it is still great, mind you, but the other albums are greater. Remember when I said Dominici sung excellently? I lied. He sung great on some songs, but on other songs......it turns me off. A Fortune in Lies is a damaging Dominici. Vocals aside, the instruments were proficient and just by listening to Portnoy, Myung, Moore, and Petrucci, you would know that they would be successful.

Highlights: The Killing Hand, The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun, Status Seeker, The Ytse Jam
Lowlights: A Fortune in Lies, Only a Matter of Time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:45 PM »
can we expect the other 12 DT albums to appear on this list too, then?  :lol

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
can we expect the other 12 DT albums to appear on this list too, then?  :lol
Yep! Everything except The Astonishing!

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 08:31:14 PM »
Number 48: Notes on a Dream

Here is a brilliant little piece by Jordan Rudess. This album is really special because it contains a lot of Dream Theater songs. Out of 12 songs, 9 are from Dream Theater. Ranging from Another Day to The Silent Man to Vacant, Rudess delivers a lot. There are added solo's not present from the original songs. I can always relax while listening to this classical piece. I would recommend this album to anyone who wants take a break from the guitar, drums, bass, and vocals.
Go ahead and listen. You won't be disappointed at all!

Highlights: Another Day, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On
Lowlights: None

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 08:53:48 PM »
I listen to this one a lot. It's one of my favorites of Jordan's solo CDs.  Vacant is a really beautiful moment on this.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
Probably the first Avenged Sevenfold album I was introduced to before it paved the way. Now, I'm not a big fan this album, compared to all the other Avenged Sevenfold's album, but I still love it to death. Oh and the reason I don't like this is not because of the growling. On the contrary, I love the growling to death and I am a fan of harsh, heavy vocals. The main reason this isn't higher on this list is because it gets kind of stale once you keep on listening to it. Now Hail to the King or any Dream Theater/Opeth albums, I could never get tired of, but this....well, I get tired of it easily.

Curious that you hold these sentiments for an album on your top 50 list. :P

I always like following these.

As for WDADU, the production nearly kills it for me. I do quite enjoy Ytse Jam, The Killing Hand, and Only a Matter of Time though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 10:38:37 PM »

Reminds me of my first list, I didn't have enough albums to really justify a top 50 back then, honestly :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:49 PM »

Yeah, how many albums do you own or have listened to frequently enough to know them well, actually, OP?

I own about 230 albums at the moment, myself, and I wouldn't really consider doing a list of 50 albums at this time, but that's a personal thing to me—I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious. :)
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »
Trumpets in a top 50? Hell yea, I think that's a first, but I dig it. You don't seem to like it too much though. I quite like it, but it's not even close to my top 50, not even 150. That said, I bet the other 5 a7x albums are included too, hail to the king being first like you mentioned (still don't approve of this).

But yea, you probably don't have a lot of music to base this top 50 on, so it's less of a selective process than with most of these. If you want to discover music I suggest checking out some of the reddit pages dedicated to different genres, /r/progrockmusic and /r/progmetal have gotten me loads of cool music. Also you could check out some of the song roulette results on this subforum to see what songs get high scores and go from there.

Cheers, following!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »
Yeah I agree.
Also I have a friend who knows a lot of bands so I will learn from him too.
I just want to compare this to my second list and see how much it changes.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 05:56:07 PM »
Number 47: "The Story of Light" by Steve Vai

Clocking at number forty seven is an album by Steve Vai. I grew up with Steve Vai and along with Joe Satriani, they are my role models. I follow them not through albums (heck, this is the only Vai album I know fully XD), I just love their style. This discography just wow's me in every single way. There are not a lot of lyrics on the album, as it is really mostly an instrumental album. There are 3 songs that have a vocalist credited for them, which would include "John The Revelator", "The Moon And I" and "No More Amsterdam". I've come to expect a Steve Vai album to be almost a journey from start to end, best enjoyed chilled out and sitting back and listening to all the textures in his tracks with his soloing soaring over the other instruments. "The Story Of Light" did not disappoint me at all. I have listened to this album at least five times by now. The first time, I just listen to the content. The second listen, I try to pick out my enjoyable parts of this album and the third listen, I listen for everything that I missed and I try to understand this album musically. By the third listen of "The Story Of Light" I was deeply in love with this album.

Highlights:   "The Story of Light", "Creamsicle Sunset", "Gravity Storm", "Sunshine Electric Raindrops"
Lowlights: "No More Amsterdam", "Mullach a' tSí"

Number 46: "The Unforgiving" by Within Temptation

Here is a neat album by Within Temptation. The Unforgiving is keyboard heavy, mainly up-tempo rock that begs for a comparison to Nightwish, but not really. The Unforgiving makes full use of her vocal style and 3+ octave range. She is powerful and passionate throughout, but particularly on "In the Middle of the Night". It and "Iron" are my two favorite tracks. The guitars are mixed low and are frankly nothing fancy anyway, leaving den Adel to carry the melody in almost every song. Also, this album is a concept album, but I really don't pay attention to the story a lot. I mostly focus on the music itself than the story. Haven't you heard the expression: "The music is worth a billion lyrics?" "Within Temptation" still knows how to make it dramatic and theatrical, the intro to "Faster" sounds like a song on a preview for an action movie, and the intro to "Murder" sounds like a song that would be on a preview for a thriller movie. Even in Sinead" the one song on this album that sounds like it would be played at a dance party has a symphonic theatrical incline that makes you feel like that you're still listening to "Within Temptation" no matter how different it is.

Highlights: "Shot in the Dark", "Fire and Ice", "Faster", "Iron", "In the Middle of the Night"

Number 45: A Dramatic Turn of Events

Now this should be an album a lot of you are familiar with. A Dramatic Turn of Events is a neat Dream Theater album. Although a particularly diverse DT album, the music blends more seamlessly and professionally than ever before. Dream Theater once again show up all the other acts claiming to be progressive metal with their sheer cinematic virtuosity. On the level of arrangement, you can expect to hear a band working together in a complex give-and-take which allows every man his moment to shine without endangering the sound of the group. The ballads on here are nicely composed and all conjure memories of past tracks. While “This Is The Life” has a rather greeting card feel that reminds one of “The Answer Lies Within,” “Far From Heaven” is a short piano driven number in the vein of “Vacant” and the largely acoustic “Beneath the Surface” feels like a more complete version of “The Silent Man.” With that being said, this album does not deserve any hate at all. It is still a wonderful masterpiece by Dream Theater.

Highlights: Build Me Up, Break Me Down, Lost Not Forgotten, Breaking All Illusions, Outcry, This is the Life
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:14:00 PM by ASacrificedSon »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 12:04:41 AM »
your first highlight is my least favorite DT song  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 06:36:05 AM »
your first highlight is my least favorite DT song  :lol
First two are lowlights of ADTOE imo :P
I never actively listened to Steve Vai, I'm not into instrumental rock that much (anymore). These days, I also rarely listen to Joe Satriani and he's one of my favorite guitarists. I hope we'll see him on the list :tup
I heard one album of Within Temptation and while I'm not the biggest fan of that style I love Sharon's vocals :hefdaddy

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 09:13:36 PM »
Number 44: "Unstoppable Momentum" by Joe Satriani

The songs showcase a marriage of melody, harmony, tone and phrasing with the understanding that a piece of music requires a viable rhythm/bed track before notes are sprayed in all directions. Some of the album’s best tracks, like "Can’t Go Back" and "Three Sheets to the Wind," include such infectious melody and harmony lines that they could turn into genuine pop songs with a little nudging. And "A Door Into Summer" and "Shine" on "American Dreamer" feature such strong riff. If you think all instrumental rock just amounts to meaningless noodling, you probably won’t get much out of "Unstoppable Momentum." Still, Satriani delivers on almost every track, showcasing a compositional depth that reveals something new with each listen.

Highlights: Unstoppable Momentum, Can't Go Back, Three Sheets to the Wind, American Dreamer

Number 43: "Silverthorn" by Kamelot

Kamelot was pretty much regressing toward the musical mean after they released "Poetry for the Poisoned," which, although passable, was peaks and valleys away from the insane standard set by past efforts like "Karma," "Ghost Opera," and the divine "The Black Halo." Then, they lost Roy Khan. His departure seemed irreplaceable; his voice was a key ingredient to Kamelot's formula, and they would've doubtfully reached that creative and poetic peak without his vocals and songwriting contributions. "Silverthorn" is simply amazing. Every facet both major and minor is utterly excellent. Its best feature happens to be the general structure of its songs, which manage to be creative, catchy, intelligent, and elegant. This is a magnificent album, kicking off fireworks from its bombastic introduction until the dire, melancholic epilogue makes its round. A slab of raw emotion tied to joy, love, hate and death, told by Kamelot. Enjoy.

Highlights: Prodigal Son, Sacrimony, Silverthorn, My Confession

Number 42: "Hydra" by Within Temptation

In an interview, I heard Sharon den Adel say that the multiple heads of the Hydra represent the many sides of Within Temptation, and that their sixth album Hydra is a manifestation of all their "heads". The band has gone through many changes through out their eighteen year career and have never released the same album twice, and now they've created something that perfectly blends aspects of all their past music: metal, symphonic bombast, pop, rock, and even the return of death growls in two or three songs. While still continuing to move forward, modernizing and evolving as a band, incorporating new influences like rap and electronic music in a few songs. The end result? A big alternative metal masterpiece! In fact, Hydra is some of the heaviest material that Within Temptation has ever written, with epic guitar riffs and hard hitting drums driving the majority of songs forward as the previously prevalent orchestrations are pushed farther back than they were on the previous release, "The Unforgiving" (example is "Tell Me Why") . And Sharon continues to use her lower, much stronger belt that she had in the previous release as well, just now her voice is much more rehearsed and her singing is much clearer. In conclusion, this album is a great release that pulls everything from the band's past into it's present, further defining the band's style as they experiment with their styles. It's heavy, it's fun, it's beautiful, and it's just fantastic!

Highlights: Whole World is Watching, Paradise, And We Run, Dangerous, Let Us Burn

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:09 AM »
I'm glad I saw Satriani on Unstoppable Momentum tour (with Keneally, Minnemann and Beller) because that's fantastic aalbum, it was great to hear it live.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 02:08:56 PM »
Good to see ADTOE, fantastic album, believe it made my top 30-25 or something.

But is this top 50 still happening?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 02:39:49 PM »
Yep. At home. I'm at church
And thabks.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »
EDIT: oops, meant to quote for my sig and accidentally posted :lol

feel free to enjoy this Scar flashback guys

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
vintage scar, never a bad time to experience it

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
lol all these reviews are just copy/pasted like his top whatever videogames list.

I really don't get what the guy's purpose was. Did he think he was being sneaky? We may never know.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 10:14:04 AM »
EDIT: oops, meant to quote for my sig and accidentally posted :lol

Oh, poor Charlie :rollin I'm literally LOL-ing right now :rollin

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »

:'( :'( :'(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey