Author Topic: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions  (Read 63040 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Astonishing - Unpopular opinions
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »
one of Myung, LaBrie or Mangini should have said no to the project.

:lol " I don't like this album so nobody else is allowed to. Because they're just wrong ".

Offline T-ski

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 10:53:57 AM »
one of Myung, LaBrie or Mangini should have said no to the project.

:lol " I don't like this album so nobody else is allowed to. Because they're just wrong ".

the topic is unpopular opinions.  I guess my opinion is unpopular.

and if you like the album good for you, I haven't ragged on anyone for liking it, so don't rag on me for disliking it.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gm5k

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:12 AM »
"The Gift of Music" and "Moment of Betrayal" are both bottom 5 songs on this album. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
I don't know what counts as an unpopular opinion given how new the album is, but I don't like Moment of Betrayal. It sounds like something right off DT12 to me.
this is literally what i thought when i first listened to it, but atm i think it's at least a step above the usual DT12 fare

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
Here's one that is probably very controversial:

To those who are already placing this in the same league as SFAM and Six Degrees, it is WAY too new to really form a complete opinion on it. It's been out for less than FIVE days, and people are calling it the best thing since sliced bread. Not that I'm saying it's not a great album, because it is. My opinion is simply that people need to give this a little more time to sink in and really find its intricacies before making such statements. I mean, its 130 minutes long. Almost twice the length of a standard DT album. How can people truly absorb that much music THAT quickly?

Again, just my opinion.

I have to agree with this one... it came out last friday, even if people downloaded it the leak happened 2-3 days before, so there's so little time to absorb all this huge piece of work. I'm now during my third listening ever, and I barely start to remember the various themes and pieces of songs I've already memorized... it will be a long time until I will even be able to make an "abridged" version for my music player (  ;D ) to listen to in the time that it takes me to go and return from work!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 01:55:38 PM »

To those who are already placing this in the same league as SFAM and Six Degrees, it is WAY too new to really form a complete opinion on it. It's been out for less than FIVE days, and people are calling it the best thing since sliced bread. Not that I'm saying it's not a great album, because it is. My opinion is simply that people need to give this a little more time to sink in and really find its intricacies before making such statements. I mean, its 130 minutes long. Almost twice the length of a standard DT album. How can people truly absorb that much music THAT quickly?
I'd hope this is a pretty popular opinion!  Seems obvious.
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »
- Our New World is a good song, but not even close to the top songs in the album
I would agree with this. It's nice enough, and I definitely dig the vibe, but I don't even find the chorus very catchy as others seem to!

I'll join in on this one as well. All reviews seemed to state that Our New World was this mindblowingly "real" closing to the album, with a chorus that could rock arenas, while the title track was more than an afterthought, a closing credits kind of song without any climax... but instead on the album I hear an average song whose chorus just repeats "our new world" over and over, and the title track having a grandiose and epic ending on par with those of Octavarium, Illumination Theory and the likes.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »

I'd hope this is a pretty popular opinion!  Seems obvious.
Yeah that's not controversial at all.

Not sure what I can point out as popular/unpopular about this album, most opinions I have about this album seem to be shared with at least a few others. I'll say this: With act 1, musically it keeps 'evolving', there's new ideas and approaches with every following song despite the many recurring themes, I thnk that's done very well. Act 2 I feel adds less, and I start to lose my focus a bit towards the end.

I think this is mainly because it's just too much music to take in in one listen, need to either make an abridged version for myself once I've fully familiarized myself with the album or just make different batches of songs to listen to separately.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
The album could last a bit longer. 130 minutes ain't enough.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 02:49:39 PM »
While it is an entertaining album in sections, I don't think they achieved what they set out to do. For example, only in very few moments do I feel the songs' mood correlates with the plot mood. That causes me to never be "engulfed" by the whole thing, but rather perceive it as a collection of disparate pieces.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 02:56:12 PM »
Brother can you here me is one of the best songs on the album.     

The Hymn of a Thousand Words is disappointingly underwhelming.

Lord Nafaryus is one of the the best DT songs in 15 years.

Road to Revolution and 2285 Entr'acte are being criminally underrated.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »
- Our New World is a good song, but not even close to the top songs in the album
I would agree with this. It's nice enough, and I definitely dig the vibe, but I don't even find the chorus very catchy as others seem to!

I'll join in on this one as well. All reviews seemed to state that Our New World was this mindblowingly "real" closing to the album, with a chorus that could rock arenas, while the title track was more than an afterthought, a closing credits kind of song without any climax... but instead on the album I hear an average song whose chorus just repeats "our new world" over and over, and the title track having a grandiose and epic ending on par with those of Octavarium, Illumination Theory and the likes.

All of this 100%.

I will add the opinion that TA is the heaviest album of the MM era.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »

Uh... what? That's sarcasm, right?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »
The Hymn of a Thousand Words is disappointingly underwhelming.

Lord Nafaryus is one of the the best DT songs in 15 years. 

I agree with both of these statements.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »

???  "Underrated" by whom?  Don't you have to have a large segment of people slagging something for it to be "underrated?"
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
I just haven't seen those listed too much.   So I assume they are underrated.     Perhaps I am wrong.   

Either way they are both awesome.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
myung is nonexistent on this album. petrucci could've tracked bass

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
While it is an entertaining album in sections, I don't think they achieved what they set out to do. For example, only in very few moments do I feel the songs' mood correlates with the plot mood. That causes me to never be "engulfed" by the whole thing, but rather perceive it as a collection of disparate pieces.
Really? If anything I'd say that's the thing they definitely nailed this time around.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »
I agree with what some have said about Three Days and Our New World; both good songs, but neither are among the best from this record.  And heck, Three Days was one of my favorites after one listen, but I think I was like many in that I was so thrilled by the last 20 seconds, that I overrated it as a whole.  Pretty good song, but there are at least 20 on this that are better. Our New World is borderline top 10.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 05:22:22 PM »
okay but Three Days has easily the best chorus on the entire album

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
I listened to it once and immediately went back to SDOIT and remembered the good ole days when they were in their prime.  Where is the progressive metal group called Dream Theater that I used to love?

I've listened to The Astonishing a few times and I just don't see what people love about it. I don't think it's bad, I just think it's very boring. Maybe it will get better with more listens. I'm certainly not giving up on it. But if you include this album, that makes 4 of their last 5 albums that sit right at the bottom of the album rankings for me. ADTOE was their best work since TOT. I'm actually very surprised to see all the praise this album is getting. After my first listen, I was not impressed. And yeah, I listened to SDOIT today as well. That album is perfection right there.

Though, I do realize it's a very long album and generally a lot of their work needs time to really soak in. I'll listen again in just a few.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »
1. The album should have been longer (3 discs).

2. The title track is an absolutely perfect way to end the album and is not an afterthought. Ending on Our New World would not make the same impact.

3. Dystopian Overture is their best overture from any album.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 05:40:52 PM »
3 discs? Damn :P

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »

Uh... what? That's sarcasm, right?

Maybe I should rephrase. It has the most truly heavy stuff of any MM era album, which is of course assisted by the fact it has 50-60 extra minutes to play with. Its light sections are obviously lighter than those of the past two albums, but the heavy sections are also heavier.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2016, 06:07:16 PM »
myung is nonexistent on this album.

This thread is for opinions, not facts.

I heard Myung for a total of 2 seconds on the whole album. One I can remember is during the opening Overture, I think.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
Really? If anything I'd say that's the thing they definitely nailed this time around.

Interesting. I guess everybody perceives it differently.
Take for example Losing Faythe. Setting aside the horrendous beginning (I mean, I know they're *supposed* to be crying over the death of Faythe, but it sounds like they're making out), I find the music itself is hopeful. Like, there is no despair or sorrow in that tune at all. IMHO. And that part in the plot is so crucial, as a setup to the townspeople saving Faythe. Starting with hopeful music and then going into uplifting epicness takes away from the next plot item that is supposed to lift the story out of despair into hope.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2016, 06:43:33 PM »
The NOMAC tracks are great and very important to the flow/atmosphere of the album.

A Life Left Behind has one of the better choruses on the album.

A New Beginning has one of the best instrumental sections of the post-BCSL era (and the ending is perfect).

One song I barely see mentioned is Hymn of One Thousand Voices. One of the better ballads on the album. It has such a organically and naturally bright, sad, yet hopeful sound. Really a powerful way to pick you up after the very turbulent climax of the album - excellent writing.

"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline pcs90

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2016, 06:48:48 PM »
The NOMAC tracks are great and very important to the flow/atmosphere of the album.
Totally agreed.

One song I barely see mentioned is Hymn of One Thousand Voices. One of the better ballads on the album. It has such a organically and naturally bright, sad, yet hopeful sound. Really a powerful way to pick you up after the very turbulent climax of the album - excellent writing.
It's a beautiful track, especially the violin, and the choir at the end!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2016, 06:58:14 PM »

I have the same feeling, but with A New Beginning instead.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
I've listened to The Astonishing a few times and I just don't see what people love about it. I don't think it's bad, I just think it's very boring.
This, plus that it's too cheesy, honestly, and the story clichéd.

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »
Mandolin is the MVP of this album
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2016, 08:05:00 PM »

Interesting. I guess everybody perceives it differently.
Take for example Losing Faythe. Setting aside the horrendous beginning (I mean, I know they're *supposed* to be crying over the death of Faythe, but it sounds like they're making out), I find the music itself is hopeful. Like, there is no despair or sorrow in that tune at all. IMHO. And that part in the plot is so crucial, as a setup to the townspeople saving Faythe. Starting with hopeful music and then going into uplifting epicness takes away from the next plot item that is supposed to lift the story out of despair into hope.

You hear hopefulness from the music of Losing Faythe? The hopeful version of it is Chosen and if you play it back to back, you can hear the big difference in delivery. The "sadness" stands out when you are aware that it is a reprise fo a hopeful theme.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »

???  "Underrated" by whom?  Don't you have to have a large segment of people slagging something for it to be "underrated?"

Given that people are still digesting over 2 hours and 34 tracks of a new album, I don't think anything counts as underrated yet. Under discussed yes, but that's simply because there's so much music to be discussed, and it's been less than a week.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2016, 08:51:45 PM »
For sure. Heck, I am still hearing great bits in my car, thinking how great it sounds, and then wondering sometimes, "Now which song is this, again?" :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57:26 PM »
The chorus from Our New World is good, but not great. It's pretty generic.