Author Topic: Ravenskill  (Read 11994 times)

Offline pcs90

Re: Ravenskill
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
I do think he was surely moved by Gabriel's song, but I think Gabriel judged it mostly by Nafaryus actions during the song or something like that, maybe by how mesmerized he was during he was playing, his facial expressions, anything. The gloomy vibe at the beginning of Three Days makes me think that no matter how good the song was, Nafaryus is pretty much pissed off at Gabriel for that Faythe thing and resorts to a full-sneering mode just to insult and hurt him.
Based on what we know I think it's also safe to say that Nafaryus probably wouldn't want to show that he was moved, as it may be a sign of weakness or that he can be manipulated by it. Since he already knows that there's talk of rebellion, he probably doesn't want to show his softer side, he wants to create fear to hopefully end the whole thing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »
To echo what others have said, that dreamy-sounding intro is so freaking awesome.  The piano lead is marvelous, and that effect they used on JLB's voice was absolutely perfect. :tup :tup

Offline faizoff

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »
"You dare to stand / before my eyes..." Great section.

A good song, took me a few listens to get to know and remember it well because it goes through quite a few different parts. Probably has the most story of any song on the album.
This part when the choir kicks in at 3:05 ish gives me goose bumps every single time. I don't have a favorite song on this album yet but this song might end up there.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2016, 11:43:49 AM »
This one's up there for me too.  Killer song.   :hat

Offline thosava

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2016, 01:09:29 PM »
This was the song that captured me the least on my first listens. I still don't feel like i "get it", but it's slowly growing on me. I thought the conversation with faythe and the townsperson sounded weird the first times. It's very atmospheric though. I feel like i can easily picture the scene unfolding in my mind.

Edit: i'm listening to it again, and the dramatic part when Faythe meets with Arhys is very good

Offline shadow1psc

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »
This was the song that captured me the least on my first listens. I still don't feel like i "get it", but it's slowly growing on me. I thought the conversation with faythe and the townsperson sounded weird the first times. It's very atmospheric though. I feel like i can easily picture the scene unfolding in my mind.

Edit: i'm listening to it again, and the dramatic part when Faythe meets with Arhys is very good

I feel like it perfectly captures the mood and the scene. A naive young girl bumbling around a strange town, far away from where she was raised (in more ways than one), until she finally finds Ahrys, only to have the situation escalate. I originally imagined this as, Gabriel heard the commotion being caused and steps into view, where the two are immediately entranced (like in Savior in the Square). I know now that it's a bit different, but that was the imagery I originally got, and it's so strong. Amazing writing.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 06:03:16 AM »
Amazing song. I didn't really like this one at first, but it grew on me and now it's one of my favorites

"Hopeful and innocent, sensing no danger, he sees humanity behind the strangers eyes" and "You dare to stand before my eyes, you're one of them, why would I trust you?" are my favorite parts

JLB is so amazing on this album it makes me want to cry
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:44:47 AM by V_R11 »
Seasons change and so can I

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 06:13:14 AM »
I like the piano intro a lot, it's a really pretty melody. Wish I could find some guitar tabs for it.  :-[

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 09:51:39 AM »
I like the piano intro a lot, it's a really pretty melody. Wish I could find some guitar tabs for it.  :-[

A beautiful intro indeed.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »
This song earns a big fat yes.
Thought it wouldn't click for me, but indeed, it is a nice little song!
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline mc7

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2016, 11:53:58 AM »
This song consistently threatens A New Beginning for the number one spot. In fact, thinking about it, it might just claim it!!
One of the things I love about this song and many others on this album (Three Days / The X Aspect, to name but two) is how unpredictable it is. With shorter songs on this album DT tried to cram as many ideas and tonal shifts into them as possible but it all works and blends perfectly and this one is a 
6-minute masterclass!!  :hefdaddy

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2016, 12:26:31 PM »
'I remember your father was moved by my song
I know when he sees we're united, then he'll understand
We will walk this road together
We will face this hand in hand
With music and love on our side
We can't lose this fight

Tomorrow our dream comes alive
Comes alive'

****ing chills.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »
^^Love the guitar/bass line during that part, so simple yet so tasty.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
It's my favourite part of the entire album. The lyrics aren't even that good, but the whole part feels so epic and powerful. The album is choc full of brief moments like this that got a huge emotional pop from me second time round.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »
Such a powerful track, might be tied with A Better Life for my fav. Can't wait to see this one live!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »
This song consistently threatens A New Beginning for the number one spot. In fact, thinking about it, it might just claim it!!
One of the things I love about this song and many others on this album (Three Days / The X Aspect, to name but two) is how unpredictable it is. With shorter songs on this album DT tried to cram as many ideas and tonal shifts into them as possible but it all works and blends perfectly and this one is a 
6-minute masterclass!!  :hefdaddy

That last paragraph is absolutely one of the greatest things about this album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2016, 08:04:49 PM »
Listened to this on the way home from work earlier when it was snowing, but that sideways snow thanks to the wind, and it absolutely amazed me. It's like this song was written to be listened to in such conditions. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline JRuless

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
Just today after many listens I had to repeat the "hopefull and innocent' part...just so powerfull after a nice build up...great song!

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2016, 07:35:42 AM »
I'm in love with this song. Can't stop listening.  :heart

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
This is song that is growing very slowly but steady on me. It's not that I disliked it at first, I always liked it, I just wasn't really understanding why people were insanely crazy about it.

The beginning is very ethereal, it reminds me in mood of The Queen of the City of Ice by Shadow Gallery, and when it gets going there are many great parts, such as Arhys facing her at the militia camp.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:42 PM »
Still in awe of how great this song is.

"Why would I trust you?" - JLB's delivery and the effect on his voice for that particular line is unbelievably swell. :coolio

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
My favorite part, and I wish it went on longer, is the part after "When she sheds her disguise." It's such a beautiful little piece, especially the keys
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2016, 11:03:11 AM »
This is probably my favorite song from the record. It's pure magic.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
It's top 3 on the album for me. Once the the full band kicks in at the 2 minute mark, this song really takes off!

Offline link2tau

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
I loved the vast majority of the album, but Ravenskill immediately stood out to me as my favorite. The intro/townsperson exchange is beautiful, and the riff is probably my favorite on the album. Currently sits in top 5 DT songs in general for me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
The townsperson ended up being one of the faves.

Giggle giggle.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Mladen

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 12:12:43 PM »
This song keeps growing on me. I love the "I'm looking for your father" part, it's very original melodically and structurally. Not to mention the riff that follows, it is very ADTOE to my ears.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I loved the vast majority of the album, but Ravenskill immediately stood out to me as my favorite. The intro/townsperson exchange is beautiful, and the riff is probably my favorite on the album. Currently sits in top 5 DT songs in general for me.

Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 02:26:56 PM »

Wow!

My sentiments exactly. I don't think any TA track makes my top 10, let alone top 5.

Offline link2tau

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »

Wow!

My sentiments exactly. I don't think any TA track makes my top 10, let alone top 5.

I don't know what it is about Ravenskill. I just like it that much. No other TA song would be near my top 10, except perhaps Heaven's Cove. But Ravenskill is currently up there beneath BAL, TCOT, and SDOIT. Seeing that typed out makes me realize how weird it is, but hey what can you do?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »
Totally cool!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
I really like the staccato section after the melodic intro.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »
Would anyone be interested in a video kinda showing how to play this song on a 6 string?  Learned it recently by tuning down half a step and then playing in "drop" c#.  Works out really well for the most part.

Definitely a top 3 favorite on the album for me. 

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2016, 04:07:33 AM »
One minor detail about the beginning...

"Please excuse me, sir can you help me, where can I find this man?"

The live video shows Faythe showing a picture to the man... where did Faythe get a photo of Arhys? (Remember, she's looking for Arhys, not Gabriel - she knows nobody would give up his refuge, so he wants to talk to his brother instead)

Did she use some surveillance snapshot of a Nomac? downloaded it from Aryhs' future Facebook page? Every citizen is scheduled in the Empire archives and there are photos of everyone? Ravenskill seems a very medieval-ish kind of village and technology seems scarce there, so I doubt there were digital cameras, but even so, where do you think Faythe exactly got Arhys' picture?  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2016, 04:48:47 AM »
From the NOMACS, who take pics even in concert venues.  :rollin