Author Topic: The Opeth Discography Thread  (Read 8568 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: The Opeth Discography Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
You smelled like it then too but you were too goddamn handsome for me to tell you. Awesome that you still have the pic (as do I) and your second pic didn't load correctly lol.

That was an awesome night fellas...

What album are we talking about right now? MAYH? Unbelievable record, and heavy as hell.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2016, 12:17:38 PM »
Are we moving on without the thread host already?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2016, 02:25:09 PM »
I think the OP gave up

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
I'd say a week of nothing (after saying it'll be done real soon) is more than enough time to move on. Maybe something came up. Either way...the internet waits for no man. This is why I've never done any of these things that take elongated commitment because I'd be totally on this shit for whatever band I chose for like a week or two and then would be all "okay fuck this" *masturbates instead of researching/writing*

Besides, all that needs to be said about MAYH is that it is the best them.  :metal

April Ethereal, Demon Of The Fall, The Amen Corner AND Karma? Ninja, please. Plus it's got Madrigal which is one of the best segue and lead-in tracks ever. Soft soothing build up and then BAM BOOM WAAAAAAH!1!1

Floyd is surely the best fitted to take the mantle but that's up to him; I probably know enough to do it but I'm sure as shit not gonna take the time and don't know nearly as much as Floyd. All these things are for really is for specific discussion to each album and the runner's own version of basically what Wikipedia says (along with maybe some other tidbits which can also be easily found using this new thing called Google). Not to be insensitive or anything. It's nice hearing people's own versions but...when you get right down to it, that's what it is. We got this shit.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:49:44 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »
 :lol

:|

RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2016, 09:36:38 AM »
After having basically forgotten Pale Communion for the last two years I listened to it again a few days ago. I actually like it a lot more now. I never disliked it, but I just didn't really care. It's a lot better than I remembered.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
Sorry I'm so late guys. :(

My Arms, Your Hearse 1998 (The year I was born :))

1.    "Prologue" (instrumental)    0:59
2.    "April Ethereal"      8:41
3.    "When"      9:14
4.    "Madrigal" (instrumental)    1:26
5.    "The Amen Corner"      8:43
6.    "Demon of the Fall" (Åkerfeldt, Peter Lindgren)    6:13
7.    "Credence"      5:26
8.    "Karma"      7:52
9.    "Epilogue" (instrumental)    3:59

Personnel:

Opeth

Mikael Åkerfeldt – vocals, guitars, bass, grand piano
    Peter Lindgren – guitars
    Martin Lopez – drums, percussion

Additional musicians

Fredrik Nordström – Hammond organ on "Epilogue"

Production

Opeth – production, mixing
    Fredrik Nordström – production, engineering, mixing
    Anders Fridén – co-production, engineering
    Göran Finnberg – mastering
    Tom Martinsen – graphic design
    Peter Lindgren – photography

Background:
My Arms, Your Hearse was the first Opeth album with drummer Martin Lopez, who answered a newspaper ad that Opeth put up searching for this spot to be taken after Anders Nordin left. Shortly thereafter the band also brought in Martin Mendez, a friend and previous band-mate of Lopez. However, Mendez did not have enough time to learn the bass parts for the album, so frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt played bass for the entire recording session.[1] All of the songs on My Arms, Your Hearse are shorter than ten minutes, whereas on Opeth's previous album, Morningrise, every song exceeds this length. The album is dedicated to Lee Barrett (of Candlelight Records). The title of the album is derived from the lyrics of the song "Drip, Drip" by the band Comus.

What is the concept?
Concept

Åkerfeldt wrote the lyrics for this album before the music was written, to create Opeth's first concept album.

The album concerns a character who dies and becomes a ghost. The narrative on the ghost's existence revolves around the woman he loved. Frustration and suspicion make the character restless as he watches his loved one after his death, his soul in constant turmoil as he does not believe that she genuinely grieved his passing. Though his ghost's actual presence remains undetected, she feels a great sadness, and remains unwilling to accept his death.

The progression of the album can also be seen as linked to the progression of the seasons, the final song ending with winter, and leading back into the first song with the beginnings of spring. The last word of each song on the album is the name of the following, with the album's final track, "Epilogue", leading back to "Prologue" to complete the cycle. Although the album has three instrumental songs, short stories are still written for those tracks in the form of lyrics, thus fulfilling the naming convention. In some cases, the "silent lyrics" move the plot along, and in others only serve to comment in a passive fashion.

My Arms, Your Hearse is a really interesting album. It is like Scenes From a Memory, only more heavier.
The album gets off to a brilliant start with the songs Prologue, April Ethereal and When, all three linking together perfectly. Any avid listener of Opeth will not be disappointed with these songs. Prologue leads the listener into the epic riff factory that is April Ethereal and that gives a fantastic performance which then carries onto When in which there are even more great riffs and some acoustic guitar work that mesmerise the listener with their tranquillity amongst to usual loudness of death metal.

When then links into Madrigal which basically begins the guitar riff for the next song: The Amen Corner. Along with April Ethereal and When, this song captivates its audience, especially with the acoustic breakdown in the middle of the song. It comes as an unexpected, but nice surprise, and sets the songs tone perfectly. This then leads into the next song worthy of note: Demon Of The Fall. This song is considered by many to be the best song on the album and has been played as an encore at many Opeth concerts. It is well deserved of its title as best song on the album for a variety of reasons, one being that it has one of the greatest riffs of death metal history and that it’s catchy as hell. It flows seamlessly into Credence, which resembles To Bid You Farewell. Completely quiet. Too bad it's not nearly as good as To Bid You Farewell. It gets a bit boring.

Karma brings back the quality, with some bone crushing heaviness complimented by a very long acoustic sections. Luckily, this is one of the best acoustic sections in the album. This is basically the closer, and it ends wit ha brutally long growl and some great riffage, then an acoustic twang...we're done. What a ride. No. Wait. We got one more. But no one cares. Scratch it off. It's worth nothing. Opeth tries a semi- Pink Floyd metal song, and it doesn't work.

Åkerfeldt's clean vocals are another feat on this album, having even more layering than the first two albums and the inclusion of heavy harmonies. Such a suitable vocalist. This is honestly one of the greatest metal albums of all time. I don't need to make a recommendation of this record to you based on what your music taste is for me to retain firm belief that you'll enjoy this record. Even if you listened to this album and don't like it, at least you experienced something which I among several other people consider groundbreaking. If you like music... basically, just listen to this album.

I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2016, 01:55:47 PM »
Also, should I have Still Life up also?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
 :rollin I forgot that you'd sigged a random post of mine just to get in my sig.

And no. We should maybe give MAYH a little more time imo since it's their first album in the hearts of the Orchid/Morningrise haters (of which I'm certainly not one.)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
:rollin I forgot that you'd sigged a random post of mine just to get in my sig.

And no. We should maybe give MAYH a little more time imo since it's their first album in the hearts of the Orchid/Morningrise haters (of which I'm certainly not one.)
:)
Also that quote made me  :lol
Thanks for sharing your undying wisdom to us!

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2016, 02:47:02 AM »
Brilliant album! Great write up. Every last word in every song is the first word in the next! 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cable

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 05:57:29 PM »
My first Opeth album. Not my favorite, but April, When and Demon are undeniable. Also it shifted the most prolonged transition for the band- when Mikael started with his awesome death metal vocals. In addition, this album is when he became a bit more confident as a clean singer IMO. Orchid and Morningrise to me sounded as though he was unsure of himself. Of course, his clean singing only gets better, really coming into full impact next album IMO.
---

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2016, 08:59:01 PM »
Damn, this thread died hard. I'm also to blame. I just hate typing on a Wii U gamepad cuz I'm without a laptop for another few months and my Opeth memories are often vivid enough to make long-winded posts that's be a hellish chore to type on this thing.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2016, 10:14:56 PM »
Commitment is a real motherfucker.

RIP DTP.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
at least he made it to #42 on his top 50 list
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2016, 10:19:29 PM »
I should revisit these old Opeth albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2016, 03:09:19 AM »
I was gonna ask if this thread had still life

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2016, 06:15:58 AM »
Yeah...

It's a bit insulting to the tradition that Orbert started but, frankly, I'm surprised this is the first one that has wilted and died. This forum has quite a lot of dedicated posters.

Hopefully a mod can turn this over to someone who wants to run it.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Scar

• The Avenger
  • Death is only the beginning......
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
I recently started listening to Opeth because of their lyrics and how it relates to me....I can take it over if anyone is interested.
"Suicide sometimes proceeds from cowardice, but not always; for cowardice sometimes prevents it; since as many live because they are afraid to die, as die because they are afraid to live."
-Charles Caleb Colton

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2016, 10:21:04 AM »
Didn't even know this was started. Would be cool to start over.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2016, 02:09:39 PM »
MAYH is Opeth's first masterpiece album.