Author Topic: The Opeth Discography Thread  (Read 8571 times)

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
The Opeth Discography Thread
« on: January 31, 2016, 07:17:42 PM »

Hello everyone. Welcome to my Opeth discography thread. Be prepared......

Current members of the band
Mikael Åkerfeldt – lead vocals (1992–present), guitars (1990–present), bass (1997, on My Arms, Your Hearse)
Martín Méndez – bass (1997–present)
Martin "Axe" Axenrot – drums, percussion (2006–present)
Fredrik Åkesson – guitars (2007–present)
Joakim Svalberg – keyboards, synthesizer, backing vocals, percussion (2011–present)

Former members of the band
David Isberg – vocals (1990–1992)
Martin Persson – bass (1990)
Anders Nordin – drums (1990–1997)
Andreas Dimeo – guitars (1990–1991)
Nick Döring – bass (1990–1991)
Kim Pettersson – guitars (1991)
Johan De Farfalla – bass, backing vocals (1991, 1995–1997)
Mattias Ander – bass (1991)
Peter Lindgren – guitars (1991–2007), bass (1991)
Stefan Guteklint – bass (1991–1994)
Martin Lopez – drums (1997–2006)
Per Wiberg – keyboards, mellotron, backing vocals (2005–2011, touring member 2003–2005)

Discographies
Orchid (1995)
Morningrise (1996)
My Arms, Your Hearse (1998)
Still Life (1999)
Blackwater Park (2001)
Deliverance (2002)
Damnation (2003)
Ghost Reveries (2005)
Watershed (2008)
Heritage (2011)
Pale Communion (2014)

The History of Opeth
Opeth was formed as a death metal band in the autumn of 1990 in Stockholm, Sweden by vocalist David Isberg. Isberg asked former Eruption band member Mikael Åkerfeldt (just 16 years old at the time) to join Opeth as a bassist. When Åkerfeldt showed up to practice the day after Isberg invited him, it became clear that Isberg had not told the band members, including the band's current bassist, that Åkerfeldt would be joining. An ensuing argument led to all members but Isberg and Åkerfeldt leaving to form a new project. The band name was derived from the word "Opet," taken from the Wilbur Smith novel The Sunbird. In this novel, Opet is the name of a fictional Phoenician city in South Africa whose name is translated as "City of the Moon".

Isberg and Åkerfeldt recruited drummer Anders Nordin, bassist Nick Döring, and guitarist Andreas Dimeo. Unsatisfied with Opeth's slow progress, Döring and Dimeo left the band after their first performance, and were replaced by guitarist Kim Pettersson and bassist Johan De Farfalla. After the next show, DeFarfalla left Opeth to spend time with his girlfriend in Germany, and was initially replaced by Mattias Ander, before Åkerfeldt's friend Peter Lindgren took on the role of bassist. Rhythm guitarist Kim Pettersson left following the band's next performance, and Lindgren switched to guitar, with the role of bassist falling to Stefan Guteklint. The following year, David Isberg left the band citing "creative differences".

Following Isberg's departure, Åkerfeldt took over vocal duties and he, Lindgren, and Nordin spent the next year writing and rehearsing new material. The group began to rely less on the blast beats and aggression typical of death metal, and incorporated acoustic guitars and guitar harmonies into their music; developing the core sound of Opeth. Bassist Guteklint was dismissed by the band after they signed their first record deal with Candlelight Records in 1994. Opeth initially employed former member DeFarfalla as a session bassist for their demo recordings, and he went on to join on a full-time basis following the release of Opeth's debut album, "Orchid", in 1995.

Musical Styles and Influences
As Opeth's primary songwriter and lyricist, vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt heads the direction of Opeth's sound. He was influenced at a young age by the 1970s progressive rock bands Camel, P.F.M. and Gracious, and by heavy metal bands such as Iron Maiden, Slayer, Death, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Celtic Frost, King Diamond, Morbid Angel, Voivod, and most importantly Judas Priest. Åkerfeldt considers Sad Wings of Destiny the best metal album of all time, and notes that there was a time when he only listened to Judas Priest. Åkerfeldt sings "Here Come the Tears" by Judas Priest before most Opeth concerts while warming up. Åkerfeldt later discovered progressive rock and folk music, both of which had a profound impact on the sound of the band.

Opeth's distinct sound mixes death metal with progressive rock. Steve Huey of Allmusic refers to Opeth's "epic, progressive death metal style." Ryan Ogle of Blabbermouth described Opeth's sound as incorporating "the likes of folk, funk, blues, '70s rock, goth and a laundry list of other sonic oddities into their trademark progressive death style."In his review of Opeth's 2001 album Blackwater Park, Allmusic's Eduardo Rivadavia wrote, "Tracks start and finish in seemingly arbitrary fashion, usually traversing ample musical terrain, including acoustic guitar and solo piano passages, ambient soundscapes, stoner rock grooves, and Eastern-tinged melodies—any of which are subject to savage punctuations of death metal fury at any given moment." Åkerfeldt commented on the diversity of Opeth's music:

"I don't see the point of playing in a band and going just one way when you can do everything. It would be impossible for us to play just death metal; that is our roots, but we are now a mishmash of everything, and not purists to any form of music. It's impossible for us to do that, and quite frankly I would think of it as boring to be in a band that plays just metal music. We're not afraid to experiment, or to be caught with our pants down, so to speak. That's what keeps us going."

More recently, Opeth have abandoned their death metal sound resulting in a mellower progressive rock sound.

How I found out about this band

Well, how did I find out about Opeth? If I gave you a hint, would you yourself be able to figure it out? Let me give you one hint: Dream Theater's Repentance.
I'm sure a light bulb just went off right? For everyone that is like this poor fellow: :justjen
Mikael Åkerfeldt spoke during one of the samples on Repentance.

Mikael Åkerfeldt-"One of my best friends who's the godfather of my daughter, he asked me to sing or play something at his wedding, and I turned it down because I was busy and too much of a chickenshit to do it...And I feel sorry for that, because it was a very very close friend of mine."

I wondered who had spoken that line because it called out to me the strongest and I saw that it was Mikael from Opeth so I started listening to their albums. At first, I didn't like the growling because it was so intense and made me wince, but now, I'm used to their growling and I've grown to love them.

That would be all for this introduction. I will see you later with their first album: Orchid.
 :tup
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Opeth Discography Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:29:02 AM »

Apparently from Wikipedia.   :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 08:00:10 AM »
Yep, the intro. is wikipedia, but the albums will be all me.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
I'll be all over this one. Apologies in advance. :lol

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 09:48:06 AM »
What do you mean? Why are you apologizing?

Online Mladen

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
Ooh, this is going to be fantastic, I'll try to contribute. And I'll finally have a reason to return to Orchid, an album I very rarely listen to. Well done with the introductory chapter, ASacrificedSon. It took me a while to read it but I learned a lot of new things.

As far as me discovering Opeth, obviously Dream Theater had a lot to do with it. I became a Dream Theater fan in 2007, and it was during that time that the guys toured with Opeth, featured Mikael's vocals on Systematic chaos, and even cited Opeth as their influence. It took me several more years to start listening to them, though. Back in 2010, a friend of mine introduced me to an awesome song called Master's apprentices,  and I loved it so much I had to listen to the entire Deliverance, which I thought was great as well. Then there was a period where everybody was like "how come you still haven't heard their other albums? What are you waiting for?" That phase came to an end during the summer od 2012, I went through their discography and fell in love with albums like Morningrise, Still life, Damnation and Heritage.

Now I'm an Opeth fan that managed to catch them twice on Pale communion tour. One of the two concerts was their mysterious performance in Bulgaria with an orchestra - needless to say, a gorgeous and unique experience.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 10:35:00 AM »
Ooh, this is going to be fantastic, I'll try to contribute. And I'll finally have a reason to return to Orchid, an album I very rarely listen to. Well done with the introductory chapter, ASacrificedSon. It took me a while to read it but I learned a lot of new things.

As far as me discovering Opeth, obviously Dream Theater had a lot to do with it. I became a Dream Theater fan in 2007, and it was during that time that the guys toured with Opeth, featured Mikael's vocals on Systematic chaos, and even cited Opeth as their influence. It took me several more years to start listening to them, though. Back in 2010, a friend of mine introduced me to an awesome song called Master's apprentices,  and I loved it so much I had to listen to the entire Deliverance, which I thought was great as well. Then there was a period where everybody was like "how come you still haven't heard their other albums? What are you waiting for?" That phase came to an end during the summer od 2012, I went through their discography and fell in love with albums like Morningrise, Still life, Damnation and Heritage.

Now I'm an Opeth fan that managed to catch them twice on Pale communion tour. One of the two concerts was their mysterious performance in Bulgaria with an orchestra - needless to say, a gorgeous and unique experience.

Yes Orchid is a magnificent album, especially The Twilight is my Robe. One of the best bass sections of that album.
And the songs you listed, they are also magnificent songs.
A question. Do you try to understand the lyrics or do you just think of them as an added effect?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
I discovered Opeth in 2005.  I was shopping in a music/movie store that was going out of business and I had narrowed down my choices to Disturbed's Believe and Opeth's Damnation, having not been familiar with either band.  I chose the red pill and here I am.

Do you try to understand the lyrics or do you just think of them as an added effect?

since I don't really pay attention to the lyrics from any band, I will say added effect for me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 11:27:12 AM »
Might try and check in here every once in a while because I'm pretty interested in this band, especially the two albums that have been on my radar for a while, which are supposedly some of their best (Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries).

Apparently from Wikipedia.   :biggrin:
:lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
In.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »
What do you mean? Why are you apologizing?

It was in jest mostly, but I do find forum topics (everywhere) get weighed into inactivity when too few people make all the posts. Obviously this won't be the case here, or I wouldn't think so at least. Too many Opeth heads around here to reduce the conversation, especially once we hit Still Life and forward.

My discovery story is simple: Got into metal in 2001ish, when I was a teenager. Discovered Light of Day, Day of Darkness – make sure you hear that record at least once in your life! – and "Harvest" right at the same time and had a mix CD (how old school!) of the LODDOD single edit, "Harvest," then the full LODDOD, and listened to that for a long time, learning every contour. As you'd expect, my obsession with "Harvest" and the Green Carnation album opening the door into progressive metal and avant-garde tastes allowed me to get into the rest of Blackwater Park, and I have been hooked ever since!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 01:29:51 PM »
I'm following this. And I'll probably listen albums in order as this thread goes because I think I never did it with Opeth :)
I think I discovered them on Last.fm recommendations after heavily listening to DT and PT in summer of 2010(?).
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
Finally a chance to dive deeper into their discography - I'm a big fan of Damnation, but haven't explored mushc of their other albums.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
OrchidMay 1, 1995

Track listing:
1. "In Mist She Was Standing" 14:09
2. "Under the Weeping Moon" 9:52
3. "Silhouette" (Instrumental) 3:07
4. "Forest of October"               13:04
5. "The Twilight Is My Robe"       11:01
6. "Requiem" (Instrumental)     1:11
7. "The Apostle in Triumph"       13:01

Personnel:
Mikael Åkerfeldt – lead vocals, guitar (except on "Silhouette")
Peter Lindgren – guitar (except on "Silhouette")
Anders Nordin – drums, percussion, piano on "Silhouette"
Johan De Farfalla – bass guitar (except on "Into the Frost of Winter" and "Silhouette"), backing vocals

Additional personnel:
Stefan Guteklint – bass guitar on "Into the Frost of Winter"

Production:
Opeth – production, mixing, artwork
Dan Swanö – production, engineering, mixing
Pontus Norgren – co-production on "Requiem"
Torbjorn Ekebacke – artwork, photography

Here is the first album Opeth has made without any demo's. The band's lineup was only temporary and has changed throughout their discographies except Mikael Åkerfeldt. This album was released by Candlelight records in Europe and by Century Black in the U.S. The reaction to this album was mostly positive and I can see why. This has been the first Opeth album I have listened too and it has a special place in my heart. This album contains a lot of death metal growls and black metal screams, as well as acoustic pieces of folk music and some clean vocals.

"In The Mist She Was Standing" clocks just barely over 14 minutes and is the longest song on this album. This song has many great, melodic riffs, great arrangements, and more progressive ideas. There are many hooks, aggressive, but almost calm moments, which include also a use of acoustic guitar passages, a lot of variety. This definitely is the second best song from “Orchid”. “In Mist She Was Standing” is truly fascinating and amazing song. The lyrics are not the driving force of this. The memorable instrumentals should be looked at the most. be able to catch the guitar parts better, as well as the bass and other instruments, each playing truly awesome parts. During the four minute mark, there is a quick acoustic section as well as the first clean vocals by Åkerfeldt. This song also has a memorable bass line, starting at 6:40. After another calm acoustic section, the song picks up once again with Åkerfeldt's tasty growls and screams.

"Under the Weeping Moon" is the second song of "Orchid" and it is where the quality drops. This is my least favorite song of this album because of the monotonous sounds and the bleak sounding chords. After the bass introduction, it has a great opening solo, follows with Opeth’s usual acoustic beauty. Give the long acoustic passages a chance to develop on you. It didn't appeal to me the first time, but as I kept listening to it, it eventually grew on me. You wont regret it!

The next song on the table is "Silhouette", an excellent piano interlude. It is not too long, not repetitive and definitely performed by a skilled piano player and not worth skipping at all! The piano is actually played by the drummer, Anders Nordin.  Lindgren said, "I remember the look on Dan's face when we said, 'Our drummer can play the piano.' He didn't believe a word we were saying. Dan can play the piano. Most guys play like shit. When Anders started playing, Dan was actually impressed."

The fourth song is "The Forest of October". "The Forest of October" is in many ways one of the more aggressive tracks. It contains some of the most beautiful and sorrowful melodies of the whole album and it really is yet another truly memorable and also perfectly composed songs. Again it is also damn long, with 13 minutes of music, but just like in case of “In Mist She Was Standing” here you’ll also witness many different emotions and varied parts; from very aggressive to most melancholic, even enchanting and also acoustic fragments.

The fifth song is "The Twilight is My Robe" and it is my favorite song of this album. This song starts off with a really nice guitar riff.It has this kooky base line in the middle of the song, and may deter some listeners, but it will eventually grow on you. It also contains a beautiful guitar twin melody and one of Mikael's clean vocals and acoustic passages.

"Requiem" is the sixth song and the second instrumental. It is very short, just clocking over a minute and it paves the way perfectly for The Apostle in Triumph. "Requiem" is a superb piece of acoustic metal.

The seventh and final song is "The Apostle in Triumph." This song has one of the most mellow introductions in this album and it is definitely something you should listen to. This is the most "chill" epic in this discography and I assure you that thirteen minutes of your life will not be wasted at all. The only downside of this song is that it is quite jumbled.

Opeth's debut, "Orchid" is not actually a bad album at all! For those new to Opeth, I'd recommend "Blackwater Park" or "Still Life", but "Orchid" is still indeed a strong solid beginner for Opeth. Well? What are you waiting for? Listen to this album!

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
Their most underrated album. Brilliant melodies all over the place.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 07:04:06 PM »
I haven't listened to this one since a few months after I got into the band. I'll give it a spin tonight, though I remember not caring for it during my last listen.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »
This is a rough one for people who got into later Opeth albums first. Its appeal is primarily for fans of avant-garde black metal that was starting around this time, such as ...In the Woods. The production, as befits every early Dan Swanö recording, is rough all over, but the fake drums are especially egregious as a mix decision. I really wish the band would have re-recorded it once their production beefed up and the lineup was still mostly the same people who played the original.

I have an odd love for Orchid. Primitive for Opeth, yes, with strange and haphazard arranging, but Åkerfeldt took care to make sure every song had several sections per song that were solid and worth a return for the listener. "Under the Weeping Moon" is a great example of this: the melodic death/black metal bits are average compared to the more infectious ones in "In Mist She Was Standing," but the 'scary' section in the middle goes all the way out into the avant-garde, and it's the entire strength of the song. I wish it were longer, really.

"Forest of October" is the only song that has really stayed around through the years in setlists and rightfully so, imo. It's by far the strongest group of riffs across the record and it flows stunningly compared to some the piecemeal songs (of which "The Twilight is My Robe" is worst, imo!). Every part of Forest is memorable and its 'second intro'/conclusion are one of the greatest progressions Åkerfeldt and co. have ever come up with. Not a wasted second in the 13 minutes.

"In Mist..." and "The Apostle in Triumph" are the other real monsters on Orchid. However, something not mentioned in the opening remarks is that the intro of "Apostle" is actually the second part of "Requiem," but was left in the wrong track because of a mastering error that was never fixed! Hence the bizarre fadeout in what was supposed to be the start of the song. The actual intro is the part afterward, an amazing harmonized melody that is even better than the 'bizzaro waltz' harmony that opens "Forest."

Orchid has a strong beginning, midpoint and end, but takes some real detours on the way there. It'd have been a great EP with just those three songs, but as it is, I'd say it runs too long and meanders too much to be as solid as Morningrise. If Åkerfeldt had taken the best ideas of "Under..." and "Twilight..." he'd have a fourth song that'd be pretty good; as they are, they're underwhelming compared to the 'big three' on the record.

Required listening:
"Forest of October"

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 07:49:38 PM »
Never listened to this one. I'll get around to it at some point.

Following this  :metal

Online Mladen

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »
A question. Do you try to understand the lyrics or do you just think of them as an added effect?
To be completely honest, I rarely pay attention to their lyrics. I probably should, though.

I'll try to revisit Orchid today or tomorrow. If I remember correctly, The Twilight Is My Robe was pretty damn good, especially the middle section that starts with that drum and bass groove.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 04:23:06 AM »
Good write-up! Have to revisit this!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 09:46:53 AM »
Listened to Orchid last night, and liked it more than BWP and GR on a first listen. Will return to it soon  :tup

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »
Yes, Orchid is really fun to listen to. Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:38 AM »
Orchid is pretty good.  Gives a glimpse into what the band would become.  There are some really great moments, but my complaint with this album and the next album is the jarring transitions between sections.  You could definitely tell this was a talented group of musicians.
Winger would be better!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:45 AM »
I've given it a couple of spins in the past few days and I must say it's not near as bad as the Opeth faithful make it out to be. There are some really interesting juxtapositions on this album (hell, in their entire catalog for that matter) that intrigue me but they're too infrequent. The main canvas of this era of Opeth is what I have the most problem with...and no, it's not growls. For me, it just requires to much persistence to get to the parts that I like. I'll probably revisit this album from time to time but I have no desire to add it to my permanent collection.

BTW, I really dig "Into the Frost of Winter" from the reissue even though it sounds like it was recorded with one of these:

This thread needs more Black Floyd. Stat.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »
BTW, I really dig "Into the Frost of Winter" from the reissue

the sound is so bad on that I can't even take the track seriously
Winger would be better!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 10:45:03 AM »
But at least it rocks!  :metal

:lol

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 12:02:26 PM »
I listened to it again last night; there are some cool bits here and there, but most of the record was boring. As already mentioned, the jarring transitions kill large parts of Orchid. The only Opeth album I like less is Heritage.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 12:23:18 PM »
I just finished with Orchid. It's good but nowhere near to my favorite Opeth albums. I have to say, I'm not the biggest fan of treble-y sound of this album. I don't know how to explain it, guitar probably have highs turned up(help someone?).
In the mist she was standing is probably my favorite off Orchid.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 04:55:54 PM »
I love me some Orchid. It's raw and rigid and beautiful. But yeah this thread needs mah boy Floydian. He introduced and recommended the earlier stuff of Opeth to me.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 06:01:28 PM »
This thread needs more Black Floyd. Stat.

But yeah this thread needs mah boy Floydian. He introduced and recommended the earlier stuff of Opeth to me.

Lol, love you guys <3

I got into Opeff after seeing them very frequently mentioned in guitar mags from 2002-04. I didn't bite until 2004 because I remember thinking very little of the other bands those mags were dick riding like Shadows Fall and Lamb of God (kinda like them a little now though.) I remember downloading Demon of the Fall one night just cuz it was probably the first result in a Limewire search. I thought "Hey, these are pretty good riffs and I guess I can put up with the roaring vocals since I like Death." Then, the "Run away..." section came in and those clean vocals cemented everything for me.

I then downloaded a random group of tracks about enough to fill a CD. Dug the fuck outta most of those too since they were mostly Blackwater Park tracks. Went out and bought My Arms Your Hearse (Barnes and Noble didn't have BWP) in the middle of a pizza delivery cuz I was Opeff nickin and didn't like it as much as BWP but still liked it a hell of a lot overall. I was also shocked/extremely impressed to find out it was the same person doing both the clean and roaring vocals. As I listened to The Leper Affinity one day, I realized how big of a factor Martin Lopez's drumming was for why I liked them so much. He had interesting beats that weren't so stock and cliche like what you hear from the majority of metal drummers.

I could probably put up an ungodly wall of text about this but I'll cut it off here as I'm typing with a stylus on a Wii U gamepad which ain't fun. I'll try to get back in here soon to cover the remainder of my Opeff journey and comment on Orchid.

Thanks again for the love, Podaar and Uncle George! Also, great work so far, ASacrificedSon :hefdaddy

Forgot to mention how awesome of a year for musical discovery 2004 was for me since I also got into Mastodon, Nevermore, and Dimmu Borgir that year and also my handle is obviously word play on Pink Floyd's name just with a different color since I loved Blackwater Park so much at the time I chose it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:06:41 PM by black_floyd »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 06:12:22 PM »
The pleasure is all mine  :tup
It's glad to have so many Opeth lovers here. They are indeed great.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 06:25:56 PM »

Thanks again for the love, Podaar and Uncle George! Also, great work so far, ASacrificedSon :hefdaddy

I'd kiss you right now if it weren't for the fact that I'm so far away from Narlins and, well... you never want to come to Salt Lake City. I'll settle for a mixed company approved internet hug. :hug:

No lumpies though!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 06:34:15 PM »
Lumpies DEFINITELY remain on the table, it's "N'awlins" but really "noo OR linz" not "noo or LEENZ" (a decent sized minority cordially perpetuate the "N'awlins" thing but it's kinda faded into being an outsider term), and I currently live in Jacksonville as of two months ago so if you wanna visit a city bereft of all those "YAY SUNNY FLORIDA!!!" positive attributes you're more than welcome to come visit me in the sunshine state's arm pit :)
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 07:03:54 PM »
Almost three years ago, I guess it was...

And today:

I've not changed the shirt once; I smell like rotting piss.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 07:10:43 PM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 07:06:48 PM »
You smelled like it then too but you were too goddamn handsome for me to tell you. Awesome that you still have the pic (as do I) and your second pic didn't load correctly lol.