1 (0.7%)
Imperial Guards
2 (1.4%)
Narrator
1 (0.7%)
Townsperson
14 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 143

Author Topic: Favourite character in The Astonishing  (Read 5892 times)

Offline fischermasamune

Re: Favourite character in The Astonishing
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:19 PM »
Townspeople, otherwise miracles wouldn't have happen, and Gabriel would still be a voiceless douchebag. And he'd lose the girl.
I think he Townsperson in the poll is the person answering Faythe in Ravenskill. I think there should be a choice for the townspeople, the one-thousand-crowd, because of what you mentioned.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 06:45:29 PM »
I love Nafaryus and how he is sung in the album - pompous, over the top and quite brilliant. But I'll say Faythe as she is really the catalyst for the whole story and is the connection between the two factions...

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 11:52:52 PM »
I think at this early point I would say Nafaryus. I was worried on account of his name that he would be a very boring villain, but I was pleasantly surprised that JP actually wrote him as a multifaceted character who has a deep inner love for music that he has repressed and pushed down out of a desire for control. If JP ever brings us back to this world, I'd like to learn more about Nafaryus, how he went from the kid with the iPod to the power hungry dictator, and then what he did after his somewhat redemptive story arc. I honestly think that his family tensions are pretty interesting as well, since he has an abiding love for Faythe that is the thing which ultimately helps him overcome his obsession with power.

Plus, "Remember Bug?" is just a great moment. I'm not going to praise the story of this concept as a modern literary classic or anything, but that twist is awesome and the line is really cool, because is totally switches our perception of Nafaryus and makes us see this kid running around the palace with his iPod. I think that's probably the most clever part of the actual storyline of The Astonishing.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 11:54:38 PM »
Can I say that I loved the NOMACS and that they really moved me?  :huh:
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »
Townsperson is now more popular than Daryus, Arabelle and Xander combined, yeah!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 02:08:02 AM »
Well he has a very poignant line and all. You could even say it's a call back to TGoM lyrics. You hear his response and it's clear that people just don't have the time for helping anymore. Clever, that.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 02:27:44 AM »
Comparing James' interpretations and singing, I like Nafaryus the best - but character-wise I like Faythe the best (also she's my 2nd favorite James voice). So I voted Faythe!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2016, 03:22:40 AM »
Following the Duran Duran tune :

Naf-Naf-Nafaryus!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 06:27:06 AM »
I picked Arabelle because she seems like she knows what's up. She can read people and she's a kind and patient person. Also, she extends forgiveness to Daryus, which is a very upstanding thing to do.

Offline Art

« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 07:08:42 AM »
TOWNSPERSON  :metal

Offline DragonGuitar

• Student of Shred
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 08:45:26 AM »
I picked Arabelle because she seems like she knows what's up. She can read people and she's a kind and patient person. Also, she extends forgiveness to Daryus, which is a very upstanding thing to do.

...but Daryus is a jerk.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2016, 08:48:09 AM »
Nafaryus for sure! The Nafaryus songs are awesome, and I like the style of his vocals. Pompous and fun.

HAHAHA HAHA HA HAAAA

Agreed.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2016, 11:17:59 AM »
I think at this early point I would say Nafaryus. I was worried on account of his name that he would be a very boring villain, but I was pleasantly surprised that JP actually wrote him as a multifaceted character who has a deep inner love for music that he has repressed and pushed down out of a desire for control. If JP ever brings us back to this world, I'd like to learn more about Nafaryus, how he went from the kid with the iPod to the power hungry dictator, and then what he did after his somewhat redemptive story arc. I honestly think that his family tensions are pretty interesting as well, since he has an abiding love for Faythe that is the thing which ultimately helps him overcome his obsession with power.

Plus, "Remember Bug?" is just a great moment. I'm not going to praise the story of this concept as a modern literary classic or anything, but that twist is awesome and the line is really cool, because is totally switches our perception of Nafaryus and makes us see this kid running around the palace with his iPod. I think that's probably the most clever part of the actual storyline of The Astonishing.
While my favorite is Faythe I have to agree, I wish more time was given to Nafaryus and his past...which is why we needed a 3rd CD! :biggrin: At first I was very confused by the Bug line because it was before the website was up, but after reading that I thought it was really cool. There's more to Nafaryus than what I had originally expected, for sure!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2016, 11:23:31 AM »
Arabelle easily.  She is the only one who seems to not only have a level head, but compromises and seems to care.  Also, she is sexy.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »
The inclusion of the townsperson, the narrator and imperial Guards in that poll turned it into a joke that I'm personally complicit in since I voted townsperson :lol
But Arhys is my favorite character atm.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline thosava

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
Hey, who are you to say people aren't serious about REALLY liking the Townsperson?  :rollin

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 01:25:25 PM »
Fair enough hehe
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 01:51:15 PM »
Arhys. Much admiration for his spirit to overthrow Nafaryus' empire. He's battleborn, won't back down from achieving his goals, and went out like a true hero. But, the one thing I don't get is: Why did he had to die? How I see it, only Faythe's "death" had real importance to the story.
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2016, 02:01:13 PM »
Can't really decide.

Daryus and the Narrator have a really cool section that I can't stop listening to. The ending of The Path That Divides.
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline JMSE

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
Finishing up my review (posting on the weekend). I just realized Daryus is my fav character. He's not the vanilla villain who's just bad because "reasons". Jealousy, and emotional abandonment drove his actions but even at his worst he wasn't a ruthless dude. He could have killed Arhys or Kidnapp Xander at Ravenskill and try to get Gabriel and punish him emotionally but he just presented an offer instead, which really conflicted Arhys. Sure, he wanted to kill Gabriel but that's just a result of Nafaryus labelled him as the enemy and Daryus seeking his father approval.

A really touching moment for me is the end of "A tempting offer"

And I won't have to stand
In Faythe's dark shadow anymore
I am through with being pushed aside
Tired of fighting for my father's pride
Take an evening to decide.

(those violins after are so somber and tragic. Good I Love this album!!!!!)

He killed Arhys out of frustration and desperation. He also never turned on his sister either (which is seen in a lot of bad guys in fiction). He was shocked when he thought he had killed her.

I won't say he was a saint but he was a tragic antagonist driven by everyday human emotions and reasons like seeking approval, seeking respect, wanting to make a name for himself, jealousy etc.

Same can be said about Nafaryus, while he's introduced as guy who feels too important (tango music) who has a tough leader image to show (he was moved by Gabriel song for a short moment only to issue a threat and an epic HAHAHAH HAHAHA) he's actually a guy who loves his family and has a softer side than apparent. Really touching when he calls Gabriel "Son" when Faythe is dying.

I also loved the empress isn't a bitch because she's married to the antagonist. 

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »

Arabelle easily.  She is the only one who seems to not only have a level head, but compromises and seems to care.  Also, she is sexy.

All of this. I remember that when Arabelle's portrait was revealed, there was the opinion in the 200+ page thread that she would really evil, considering her looks and her belonging to the Empire. After reading through the albums lyrics, it became evident we were wrong.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »
Arhys

Offline Mladen

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 03:14:28 PM »
I think Gabriel is a good example of a guy who's just plain gifted. Not particularly intelligent, strong, good looking, nor talkative. He's just an average guy with one specific difference - he's incredibly talented. He portrays that possessing gift is enough to be a hero.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 03:31:31 PM »
I like Nafaryus and the way JLB sings his parts as well as the music that accompanies him: Tango, Saloon, Jazz, Swing, and 80s rock. I wish they had more throwback music for him, but it's all awesome.

Arabelle was also the other character that I thought was interesting because I thought she was going to be evil as well, but really she's such a great character.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
I like Nafaryus and the way JLB sings his parts as well as the music that accompanies him: Tango, Saloon, Jazz, Swing, and 80s rock. I wish they had more throwback music for him, but it's all awesome.

Well, in "A New Beginning", after the second Nafaryus' verse, there's this baroque/classical* bit played by the orchestra: https://youtu.be/sm2ozMjYB5w?t=2m18s. The chord progression is actually the same as the pre-choruses in "Three Days", so you have a nugget there.

So, I consider baroque/classical* another 'genre' associated with Nafaryus.

*Based on the harpsichord, I'd consider it baroque, but there are horns, and those were more common in the classical era, right? So anyone with more knowledge: what is it really - baroque or classical?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2016, 07:14:26 PM »
I never noticed the Three Days reference. And yeah, there's that section too, I forgot about that one. Do you think it is a harpsichord, or just JR playing a patch?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
I never noticed the Three Days reference. And yeah, there's that section too, I forgot about that one. Do you think it is a harpsichord, or just JR playing a patch?
It could be. I just figured, since there are some other sections in the album in which only the orchestra/choir is playing ("Act Of Faythe" intro, "The X Aspect" outro), that it is a harpsichord in the orchestra. That said, maybe it is Jordan after all.

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2016, 09:59:28 PM »
"Sorry, can't speak, someone is waiting" is the best line of the whole play and probably of any theatre or Theater production in existence.

#Townsperson2016

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2016, 10:43:06 PM »
In fact I voted for the only option that isn't really a "character".. But since there he is, I've voted for the narrator, and now I find myself being the only one in having done that..

He's not a character, but precisely that... the narrator..

But I couldn't resist.. If we do the maths, then we should have that JP himself is the narrator!.. He's the storyteller all along, right?..

UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2016, 04:06:12 AM »
I'm really pleased that Townsperson is the 4th most popular character! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »
Tough choice. But I had to go with Arabelle, she is the kind of wise person which isn't afraid in saying what he thinks and she has the gift in making people think with reason.
Plus, she is indeed a cool woman..

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:12 PM »
My real name is Gabriel, so...  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »
Victoria
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!