Author Topic: The Astonishing on Rate Your Music  (Read 6844 times)

Offline NoseofNicko

The Astonishing on Rate Your Music
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:35 PM »
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dream_theater/the_astonishing/

Terrible rating. Can you guys please rate it? I don't mean giving it 5 stars, but giving it the rating you think it deserves. I'm sure if a lot of DT fans rated it it wouldn't have such an outrageously low rating.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:28:27 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The Astonishing on Rate Your Music
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
or just, don't take RYM seriously, especially when it comes to prog metal, the prog metal charts there look kind of terrible as a whole  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:16:06 PM »
Other people have different opinions. Deal with it. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 01:56:02 AM »
or just, don't take RYM seriously, especially when it comes to prog metal, the prog metal charts there look kind of terrible as a whole  :lol
This.

Other people have different opinions. Deal with it. :biggrin:
And this.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:12:16 AM »
eh, the internet is for people to complain. Except for DTF  :angel:... ;D

Won't make or break them

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:37:29 AM »
Here are some gems from the negative reviews, just so you wouldn't have to take it too hard (some of it is Google Translated):

Few things are more painful than watching ageing rockers try to reinvent themselves with something grand and epic. Judas Priest's Nostradamus is the closest analog really. At some point in your life you become out of touch with what makes music 'cool', but you're in denial.
Each new effort Dream Theater is an opportunity to reaffirm my eternal masochism. And this thirteenth installment, double album rock opera with an original background (as' created for the occasion), promised to meet my most shameful impulses of suffering and pain. The universe made by John Petrucci is so laughably pathetic............The worst thing is that Americans really think reinventing rock opera with this soothing, while it is further proof of the total depletion of their inspiration (and, for nearly fifteen years!). A band of quinquas unable to challenge, incapable of playing anything other than the same soup metal since 2005, and we therefore sway a double dose.
Certainly from Black Clouds & Silver Linings, albums are not paragons of originality, the stupid and ugly Petrucci and Rudess solo (what they are waiting for the fired?) Clearly filling a lack of inspiration. Besides that it has long accused the quintet just cover the banality of their compositions with fireworks and unbearable to be unable to be concise.............A true artistic disaster on all fronts, but the ego of Dream Theater members appear to reach heights and nothing but a miracle will save this group of the bad reputation they have forged strong rushing headlong into the wrong direction.
For years, I've gone against the grain and told everyone, "I've loved every Dream Theater album from Train of Thought onward."

Even I have to stop saying that now.
Shut

https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing

Up

https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks

Thanks.

DT go full-Ayreon. I've listened to this so you don't have to.
3 out of 5. too much LaBrie.
THIS IS FANFICTION TIER
For the love of god, stop.
Dream Theater made a fanfiction... A really bad fanfiction
with pretentious soundtrack...

Oh God!

(So we now consider Ayreon bad and hate a DT album because it has 'too much LaBrie'?)

Offline metrojam

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 11:02:55 AM »
 :facepalm:

Why can't some people understand and ACCEPT that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and just because it isn't the same as theirs, it doesn't mean it is wrong or deserves to be ridiculed.
Some will love this album, some will hate it, others like me will just say "meh" to it and do neither, BUT there is no right or wrong opinion and everyone has a right to express their own.

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 11:03:06 AM »
Too much LaBrie. lol

I would like to know how else could the story be told.
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
I would actually like if there were 20 or 25 more minutes of instrumental music on the second disc, so that would make less Labrie in proportion.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
Well, thanks guys...

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 12:57:42 PM »
:facepalm:

Why can't some people understand and ACCEPT that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and just because it isn't the same as theirs, it doesn't mean it is wrong or deserves to be ridiculed.
Some will love this album, some will hate it, others like me will just say "meh" to it and do neither, BUT there is no right or wrong opinion and everyone has a right to express their own.
Some people on that site did express their opinion politely and respectfully, but I'm sorry - writing a review only containing the words "Shut up thanks" and giving it 1 star is definitely the wrong way to express your opinion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 12:58:54 PM »
It's the internet. I wouldn't worry too much about a rating on a random site.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »
There's so much people out there that just hates anything prog related, and woudl rate it without even listening. But there are also progheads who will rate every new SW and DT album as perfect, even before release, so :P

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
It's just a shame that people who like the album, give it a good rating and move on, but people who don't like the album feel the need to go out of their way to write up a nasty review on it.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 01:41:14 PM »
Well, yes, everyone has the right to give their own opinion.
But many times that opinion is just not valid, because it is 1.- trolling or 2.- constructed just because of sheer hatred for the genre or the musicians, or just for the sake of saying something.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
Dream Theater's not hip any more?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 01:50:48 PM »
Dream Theater's not hip any more?

Tbh, it's never been, right?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline metrojam

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 01:32:51 PM »
It's just a shame that people who like the album, give it a good rating and move on, but people who don't like the album feel the need to go out of their way to write up a nasty review on it.

Thing is though is that there doesn't seem to be too many people actually giving it a good rating because as of now, it's comfortably ranked as their worst EVER studio album release!!! I think that's a little bit unfair but it doesn't surprise me that it is getting such low marks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 07:00:16 PM »
I must say that it's nice to see the album getting solid reviews in the press. DT have never gotten particularly bad reviews, but TA has an 80/100 on Meteoritic at this time, which is awesome for the band. Critics seem to at least be applauding them for trying something different.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 07:30:55 PM »
So I wrote a review on the site, which I think is pretty much a pointless exercise.  :rollin

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:28 PM »
So I wrote a review on the site, which I think is pretty much a pointless exercise.  :rollin

It's a very good review. Thanks.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
Down to 2.78/5.

I know it's not a big deal, but wouldn't it be nice if The Astonishing didn't have a shittastic rating on one of the most popular music sites?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 03:26:13 PM »
Down to 2.78/5.

I know it's not a big deal, but wouldn't it be nice if The Astonishing didn't have a shittastic rating on one of the most popular music sites?
Don't worry, it'll have better rating as the time goes on. I still haven't rated it because I think it's too early for me to rate it and I know many people are with me(it'll get at least 3.5 stars from me). Those music experts on RYM probably listened to the album once and rated it with 1 star. I guess it's their loss.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
It'd be really interesting to see how things get rated over time. I imagine the first week will see by far the highest proportion of 5 star and 1-2 star ratings, and over time you get less of that and more of the in between. I don't just mean with this album, I mean with anything.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline craig1928

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
I'd say the average reviewer there would rather 2 hours of enter sandman

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 04:18:13 PM »
What makes you think that?  :rollin
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Skeever

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2016, 04:20:20 PM »
Don't see what people's problem is. If there's ever been a DT album that will appeal only to the most hardcore of the hardcore fans, this is it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
I'm an American,  I must reinvent the Rock Opera!!!

OUT OF MY WAY!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:03 PM »

What's wrong with that? Enter Sandman is an excellent song. I'd probably prefer two hours of that than TA as a whole.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2016, 08:43:03 PM »
So many 0.5 ratings. I didn't know so many people hated DT. Probably just an Internet thing though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 08:56:59 PM »
You know, Youtube changed from their old 5 star system to the current thumbs up / down system because they found that something like 90% of people only voted 1 or 5 anyway.
A lot of people will only feel compelled to rate something if they feel strongly one way or another on it. If it's somewhere in the middle, they'll just not care and move on. But if you love or hate something with a passion, you want to make it known.

Offline metrojam

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 04:42:10 PM »

So if thats the case then whats the reason behind all their other albums getting much better reviews and marks then, or have ALL the "Enter Sandman" type reviewers only just started to review DT on their 13th Studio release?!!
Like I said before, I don't think it quite deserves to be rated as their worst ever release but the low marks it is getting aren't too far from what it does deserve i.m.o. and I say this as someone who has ALWAYS for 25+ years, prefered any DT music to "Enter Sandman" (although that IS a good record to be fair)

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
Nearly every bad review written currently starts out with "I have always hated DT but this takes it to another level of bad" ....     

These reviews mean absolutely nothing.  Its just people who have always hated the band coming out to bash them because they did the unthinkable thing of.... ACTUALLY TAKING ON AN AMBITIOUS PROJECT. 

This album kicks ass so who gives a crap what people who clearly hate the band anyways think.   Their loss for not giving it a real chance.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2016, 10:16:27 AM »
Press reviews have been good, as I mentioned before, and the album is getting great ratings over at Prog Archives. It seems like people who are fans of Dream Theater are liking the album, whereas non-fans, especially those who don't like their general style of music (technical prog metal), are even more turned off because it pushes everything to the extreme.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2016, 10:32:21 AM »
Press reviews have been good, as I mentioned before, and the album is getting great ratings over at Prog Archives. It seems like people who are fans of Dream Theater are liking the album, whereas non-fans, especially those who don't like their general style of music (technical prog metal), are even more turned off because it pushes everything to the extreme.
Yeah I get that impression too. The average rating at progarchives seems to echo the mood here - sits behind I&W, Awake, SFAM and SDOIT, but ahead of everything else. But people who dislike DT or prog metal, REALLY REALLY dislike this album.

I'm not saying that's a fixed rule, obviously, just a general trend.

I be am boner inducing.