Author Topic: Racism ft Phil Anselmo  (Read 7526 times)

Offline MajorBoobage

Racism ft Phil Anselmo
« on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »
Is anyone reading about this racist stuff Anselmo said on Dimebash?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/machine_heads_robb_flynn_attacks_phil_anselmo_for_racist_salute_if_you_werent_offended_by_that_fuck_you.html

He went too far now, i mean, i love Phil, he seemes much better man now since he finished with drugs but he did not need this. Maybe it wasnt in any bad manner or anything but cmon man
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline efx

Re: Racism ft Phil Anselmo
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
This wasn't an isolated incident nor should past behaviour be blamed on drugs. He's been seen doing this plenty of times over the years. Let's just call a spade a spade, he's a racist and if that makes it harder for some fans to enjoy the music he's made, tough luck. He should be held to the same standards as anyone else and Robb is 100% correct in his assessment.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »
I was talking about it with my friends Jeff and Jeremy (Type O's baldy sidekick). I felt bad for everyone who had to experience that, but I really felt bad for Johnny Kelly trying to get him off the stage. Johnny's a stand-up guy, so he was probably beyond embarrassed at that point.

I don't know how you could do the Nazi salute and not mean it in a bad manner. His excuse was that it was a joke and not to be taken seriously.

Offline Art

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 12:47:07 PM »
This wasn't an isolated incident nor should it be blamed on drugs. He's been seen doing this plenty of times over the years. Let's just call a spade a spade, he's a racist and if that makes it harder for some fans to enjoy the music he's made, tough luck. He should be held to the same standards as anyone else and Robb is 100% correct in his assessment.

Exactly this, and i am a huge Pantera/Down fan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »
 :mehlin

I'm so glad I was never a Pantera fan and Phil Anselmo always seemed like a moron. Typical "Tr00" meathead.

Good for Robb Flynn to say something.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
I'm not into Pantera so much these days anyway, but my respect for Rob Flynn just went up a shit-ton. Slanderous (the song) means a lot more now.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »
Has been does something stupid.

More at 11.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »
This wasn't an isolated incident nor should past behaviour be blamed on drugs. He's been seen doing this plenty of times over the years. Let's just call a spade a spade, he's a racist and if that makes it harder for some fans to enjoy the music he's made, tough luck. He should be held to the same standards as anyone else and Robb is 100% correct in his assessment.

This, exactly.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
Meh. Let him run his mouth. If he starts a race war, then it's something to focus on. Otherwise...

Has been does something stupid.

More at 11.

That. A douchebag is a douchebag is a douchebag. The only reason I was into Pantera (and plenty others) when I was at the time was because of Dimebag and now that he's gone, Phil is trying desperately (and failing) to stay relevant. This is one really great way to get attention. Lo and behold, it's worked. Sticks and stones. One day he'll shut up when media outlets don't even give him the time of day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:24 PM »
Pantera always struck me as racist. Didn't Dimebag play a confederate flag guitar or something? This is more evidence that there was always a bit of bigotry behind the confederate symbolism that Pantera used. And unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case with a lot of the "totally not racist" people who parade around the confederate flag.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »
Wait what, are we attacking Pantera now? Fuck Phil, he's always been a racist douche but I don't see the need to drag Pantera into his bullshit.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:07 PM »
Good that Flynn is calling this out.

I like Pantera and all, but yeah, Phil is a total douche. No idea why so many people are defending this petty man's behaviour, regardless of his contributions to metal music.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »
Pantera always struck me as racist. Didn't Dimebag play a confederate flag guitar or something? This is more evidence that there was always a bit of bigotry behind the confederate symbolism that Pantera used. And unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't the case with a lot of the "totally not racist" people who parade around the confederate flag.
Sometimes, it's used as more of a symbol of the South. Lynyrd Skynyrd was using the confederate flag for years up until a few years ago, and I don't think you can throw those guys in the racist bigot category.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 09:25:17 PM »
Yeah, Phil crossed a line here and I'm not surprised to hear that it's one that he's crossed before in the past.

I'm stunned at how many people are actively trying to defend his actions on Facebook and YouTube. Just... seriously?!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 09:29:58 PM »

I'm stunned at how many people are actively trying to defend his actions on Facebook and YouTube. Just... seriously?!

There are a lot of stupid and/or racist people in this world.  Sad fact of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
Wait what, are we attacking Pantera now? Fuck Phil, he's always been a racist douche but I don't see the need to drag Pantera into his bullshit.

I agree. They are two separate things. If you're letting this affect your opinions of the music, you're missing out. It sucks that this happened at a Dimebag tribute show, but Pantera was done with 15 years ago, it's not relevant.

Phil Anselmo is an idiot, and whether he was joking or not doesn't make it any better. He hasn't done anything relevant since Pantera finished, so I will continue to give zero fucks.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »
Sometimes, it's used as more of a symbol of the South. Lynyrd Skynyrd was using the confederate flag for years up until a few years ago, and I don't think you can throw those guys in the racist bigot category.

Yeah using the confederate flag doesn't instantly make you a racist. Ignorant, but not racist.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 10:48:37 PM »
It's not just using the Confederate flag, though. If you've followed those guys, this type of thing is really nothing new. Anselmo and Pantera have been skirting around these accusations for the longest time, including when Anselmo went on MTV in the white supremacy shirt. And there's live boots and stuff of Anselmo saying all kinds of racist shit going back to the Pantera days. I'm not one to take accusations of racism lightly, but this is REALLY not surprising. Had things like smartphones and Youtube been around during Pantera's heydey this story would have cracked long ago.

Maybe Anselmo was always the primary driver of this shit and the rest of the guys just went along with it, but at a certain point the whole thing is just too tainted for me to even want to bother with it.

EDIT: Here's a nice little insight (NSFW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQk3DC3gL0
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 10:54:02 PM by Skeever »

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 11:27:42 PM »
Yeah, not surprised. Hella douchey. I still love me some Pantera once in a while, though.
Props to Flynn for making this video and calling this shit out.

Also, since I never got into Machine Head I never realized what a hottie that guy is. Daaaamn.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »

A confederate flag doesn't make one racist. You obviously have no idea what that flag means. And that's all I'm going to say about it because this isn't the forum to start pointing out people's ignorance regarding a flag.

Offline MajorBoobage

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2016, 10:57:18 AM »
It seems that they're entering an area of extreme hazard. A zone of some sort. A dangerous one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 12:35:29 PM »
He sounds like he's speaking through one of those throat cancer robot things.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 01:19:55 PM »
That's how he always sounds.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2016, 01:23:52 PM »
I know it's totes hilares  :biggrin:

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2016, 01:40:26 PM »
That's one thing I do have to say for Phil, whether he really is sorry or not, he always admits it when when fucks up. He's very open and honest about his mistakes. This video is a perfect example of that. Him saying that people should have been offended is a sign that he really regrets his actions.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Skeever

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2016, 02:09:27 PM »

A confederate flag doesn't make one racist. You obviously have no idea what that flag means. And that's all I'm going to say about it because this isn't the forum to start pointing out people's ignorance regarding a flag.

I know exactly what the flag means. I don't automatically judge people who like the symbol, and I believe people who like it as a symbol of heritage are oblivious, but still innocent. However, the minute evoking that flag is coupled with any sort of racism or prejudice, it becomes very clear that this isn't about "heritage". In Phil's case, this has been going on for a long time, including during the Pantera days, so there is really only one way I can view their use of the flag in that light.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »
Yeah using the confederate flag doesn't instantly make you a racist. Ignorant, but not racist.

And not even that.  It's all in the intent.  Granted, you use symbols at your own peril (I feel for the person that wants to use the gammadion cross for its original meaning of "luck" or "well-being").    But to me, the ignorant people are those that immediately jump to "RACIST!" for everything that might possibly offend.

Obviously, that's not Phil Anselmo; there is little if any interpretation of his act that isn't offensive, and even his lame excuse of "joke" is off-base, because the audience wasn't party to those "backstage" exchanges. 

Offline Cable

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 04:39:59 PM »
That's one thing I do have to say for Phil, whether he really is sorry or not, he always admits it when when fucks up. He's very open and honest about his mistakes. This video is a perfect example of that. Him saying that people should have been offended is a sign that he really regrets his actions.

But he wrote it off originally as an "inside joke about white wine." He only came out with this video after Flynn bashed him, and then the media overall jumping all over him. That is hardly admitting that he screwed up when it was clear he messed up.

He also has a history according to this.
https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/01/28/editorial-the-metal-community-must-stop-letting-phil-anselmo-off-the-hook-for-his-racist-remarks/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:45:52 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 06:41:18 AM »
I agree 1000%.  It just smacks of "Hey, bro, I have no idea, just tell me what to say so this goes away."

I have absolutely no illusions or faith that he will emerge from this any different than he went in.  (Which, of course, is his prerogative). 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 10:24:10 AM »
I honestly think that apology has more to do with event planners/festivals cancelling his act than him actually being sorry.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
I was just getting more and more into Pantera lately. Sure, he's a huge douchebag. His actions are absolutely disgusting. But still, that doesn't keep me from enjoying the great heavy music Pantera have made, and that includes Phil's performances on those albums.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »
So now Down has been booted from a festival bill and Phil may end up leaving the band so that they aren't dragged down by his actions anymore. He also released another statement addressing not only his racist outbursts but his alcoholism as well saying that he is going to work on both of them.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
More proof, ladies and gentlemen, that bullying does work.   Doesn't change minds, mind you, but we can all feel good about ourselves because "we did something". 

And Rome burns...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2016, 10:01:09 AM »
Honestly, I don't get you Stadler. You're a big proponent of people facing the consequences of their actions, yet when Anselmo says something that the organisers of the festival don't want to be associated with, it's suddenly bullying when what he says causes them to kick him off the bill?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 11:04:14 AM »
Because both can be true.  "Facing the consequences" to me means, embracing your actions and accepting that you don't live in a vacuum, and you cannot expect the world to defer to you and your sensibilities.

Having said that, not every action deserves every consequence.  If you come up to me and say "whoa, dude, that shirt is pretty lame", I cannot punch you in the face, burn your house down, and post nude photos of you on the interwebs. 

I accept my actions, and I stand by them.  I accept that some people will read my posts and think "F-ing Nazi", even though I am the farthest thing from that.   But I don't think the world gets to arbitrarily and on an ad hoc basis constructively take away my rights because what I said is not the flavor du jour, then hide behind the "well, your words have CONSEQUENCES!".   

I find what he said and did abhorrent, and I feel like for economic reasons, Fortarock should be able to put on or pull off acts that might prevent them from breaking even, but the reality is, even as disgusting as the thought was, Anselmo did nothing illegal.   He did not fire all the blacks from his road crew (or refuse to hire them because they were black).  He did not deny blacks entrance to the show.   The worst he did was make a bunch of people uncomfortable.   I think destroying his livelihood (his "right to pursue happiness", as it is codified in the Constitution) is an inappropriate consequence for having a distasteful thought.