Author Topic: The Astonishing vs 2112  (Read 7819 times)

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Re: The Astonishing vs 2112
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
Haven't been able to keep up on the main discussion thread, and it nearly fits here:

Am I the only one who hears almost the entire "I have memory and awareness" melody fro  Hemispheres in the Brother Can You Hear Me melody?
Yes, I actually sing along to that using the Hemispheres lyrics.. It may have been an intentional tribute, or it could have been unintentional .. Either way it's freakin COOL!!

Glad it's not just me!  It works until the last line...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 07:58:48 PM »
Haven't been able to keep up on the main discussion thread, and it nearly fits here:

Am I the only one who hears almost the entire "I have memory and awareness" melody fro  Hemispheres in the Brother Can You Hear Me melody?
Yes, I actually sing along to that using the Hemispheres lyrics.. It may have been an intentional tribute, or it could have been unintentional .. Either way it's freakin COOL!!

Glad it's not just me!  It works until the last line...
It actually does work if you change the timing of the lyrics with the music on that last line. It's also on key.. ;)
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 08:05:12 AM »
i could never get into 2112, it just sounds so unoriginal and bland.
:huh:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
I vote for the DT one because it's not Rush.

News flash:  DT tries to be like Rush.  Keyword "tries"

2112 easily.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Dreamer

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
There wouldn't be a Dream Theater if it wasn't for Rush, but art is not a competition.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »
Ugh. That's the stuff I'm talking about in the other thread. I don't know Rush's discography all that well, but now I'm of course fully cognizant that BCYHM is "Bringer of Balance meets Waiting for the Worms".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RJ86

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 04:51:31 PM »
Uhm.. No. 2112 is still the best ever. Period.
Concept is similar, but that is about it. The closest DT ever got to 2112 is maybe Change of Seasons.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 07:29:09 PM »
From an ol' fart, who was around when '2112' was released during my high school years (and saw them perform it on stage): 

2112 was half an album.  Simply 'Side A' of a vinyl release.  It was good to OK, a fantastic opener, fantastic finish, lame in between.

'The Astonishing' surpassed it ten fold.  Yes, TA is too long.  Yes, the story is similar.  And yet, it is not. 
Enough is enough. 

Not sure of what has been released this decade that is similar.  It doesn't matter.  TA is a very good, ....no....almost a great album, that us old rock 'n rollers like better than ToT and Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds.....because it 'IS' music.  Then again, I wouldn't mind if a track or theme similar to  'As I Am' or 'In The Name Of God' had been part of the musical story.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 12:43:57 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2016, 08:48:59 PM »
I vote for the DT one because it's not Rush.

News flash:  DT tries to be like Rush.  Keyword "tries"

2112 easily.

Yeah, I know. It's an approach that doesn't work for me, especially recently.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 12:47:25 AM »
A gazillion times better than 'Kilroy Was Here' <gag, choke, barf>

Then again, the music is so much better, story line is better, yet..........................

it's feels like......... 'The Almost'..........
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline James Sucellus

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2016, 12:59:58 AM »
Without Rush there would be no DT.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2016, 01:03:45 AM »
Without The Guess Who, or BTO, or Queen, or The Beatles, or Frank Zappa, or...........there would be no Rush........

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2016, 01:20:41 AM »
Without Rush there would be no DT.

On the plus side, there'd be no Rush. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
Personally, 2112 done NOTHING for me, I always preferred both parts of Cygnus X-1. Now THAT is some Rush I can get behind. Other than that, there aren't many Rush Songs I actually like.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline Lycanthrope

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2016, 04:20:01 AM »
After the shock of the first few listens, I've got over it and begun to like it quite a lot - although the lyrics (and 2285 Entr'acte - "London Philharmonic Plays...") make me feel nauseous...

2112 was 40 years ago, you cannot compare the two at all, on any level.

However, is it just me or have DT re-used the theme from 2112 - Oracle: The Dream in Dystopian Overture? Listen to DOv around 3m 15s and 2112 @ 15m...

Offline genome

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2016, 04:40:28 AM »
Wait a minute. Did someone actually call Rush unoriginal?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »
Besides, everyone knows that DT didn't steal the concept from Rush - They stole it from this band Mindcage...

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2016, 03:57:18 PM »
Actually, TA is Rush meets Pink Floyd all wrapped up in a Final Fantasy RPG.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White