Author Topic: Serious DTF split-screen project  (Read 18750 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Serious DTF split-screen project
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »
Hey, guys.

This has probably been talked every now and then in here but I would really like to formally make it happen. How awesome would it be to record a cool tribute to DT using the skills of people from the forum?

I'm a keyboardist, and I'm up to produce and mix the whole thing (I mix music for a living, so I'm really at home doing such task). Are there any interested musicians? We could do a poll later on to decide which pieces it would be really nice to cover. It would be awesome it we did something from The Astonishing, given it's still something incredibly new!

So far, the members who are in for this are:

splent: Vocals
DarkLord_Lalinc: Keyboards/Production
Nihil-Morari: Keyboards
Pragmaticcircus: Keyboards/Guitar/Bass (as per needed)
IDontNotDoThings: Bass
home: Guitar/Keyboards
Lynxo: Guitar
ASacrificedSon: Drums
elite: Guitar

Note: The idea is to record more than one song. It would be nice having some diversity by having different members come in and contribute in different ways.

Once the 'first' 5 musicians are set, we're putting the songs in a poll so we can decide what are we gonna do.

EDIT:

FIRST SONG: Another Day.

DarkLord_Lalinc: Keyboards - Strings
home: Keyboards - Piano
ASacrificedSon - Drums
splent - Vocals
IDontDoNoThings - Bass
Lynxo: Guitar
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:29:32 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Serious DTF split-screen project
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:29:50 PM »
Sounds cool.

I can contribute as a bass player. I can't promise I'll be any good, but I can try. :loser:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:31:12 PM »
I'd love to do vocals.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »
Sounds cool.

I can contribute as a bass player. I can't promise I'll be any good, but I can try. :loser:
You should start doing some things, man. :metardica:

Hey, in all seriousness, it's extremely cool you're up for the challenge!

I'd love to do vocals.

And I would love if you sang. I love your voice! I watch your facebook clips all the time, splang.

On a related note, given most of us are from different parts of the world, the interested musicians need to have a decent recording setup for this to work at a professional level. It doesn't have to be all recorded in a nice and big recording studio, but a good mic (in case of vocals or a guitarist/bassist recording through an amp) should do the trick.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 01:36:13 AM »
I'd love to participate! I play piano/keyboard. I can't play all of Jordan's crazy sections so I am not sure of how much use I can be. Still, great idea!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 08:18:55 AM »
I'd love to participate! I play piano/keyboard. I can't play all of Jordan's crazy sections so I am not sure of how much use I can be. Still, great idea!
We can easily get you an easier part of one of the songs! Thank you for your interest!

If we're to make this happen soon we need at least a drummer and a guitar player. Any volunteers?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 11:21:21 AM »

And I would love if you sang. I love your voice! I watch your facebook clips all the time, splang.

On a related note, given most of us are from different parts of the world, the interested musicians need to have a decent recording setup for this to work at a professional level. It doesn't have to be all recorded in a nice and big recording studio, but a good mic (in case of vocals or a guitarist/bassist recording through an amp) should do the trick.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

My wife teaches at a music studio that has some adequate recording equipment. I'm not 100% sure if I can hook a computer up to it, but I'm 90% sure there's a way. I just have to get permission to mess with it. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I can get up to visiting my parents where my dad has a pretty good setup, but I don't know when that will be.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »
I think so far the one I think we can pull off from the new one is "Chosen".  But I haven't heard anything after that yet.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:29 PM »
I think so far the one I think we can pull off from the new one is "Chosen".  But I haven't heard anything after that yet.

That's one easy, and it would really be awesome to pull something off The Astonishing. We still need a bass player and a guitar player.  :D
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 02:59:44 PM »
I got the triangle

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 03:50:18 AM »
So I heard TA for the first time earlier today, & I waited for a while to let it sink in, but I think the one I'd be most keen to cover would be A Life Left Behind, so I guess that would be my recommendation.

Also:
We still need a bass player and a guitar player.  :D

I'LL DO IT :neverusethis:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
OMG YEAH :neveruthisethis:

Ok, guitar player pending.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline home

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 03:11:46 PM »
I could do guitar parts if they are not too difficult... I just saw tabs and a cover of A Tempting Offer and something like that certainly possible for me to play. I will have to figure out how to play it on a 6 string (I have top heavy strings which still sound good when turned down), but that won't be too big a problem.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 03:30:51 PM »
So if you're up for doing guitar (home), does that mean Darklord_Lalinc is doing keyboards again? Either way, we still need a drummer.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2016, 10:48:53 PM »
DarkLord maybe put something in the OP with the members of the project (so far). We can list possible songs there too.

Here's a short list I've come up with of pieces that wouldn't be too overwhelming to those who want to participate (I say let's see how this goes with a relatively "easy" song, and if all goes well we can choose something a little more difficult).

Another Day
To Live Forever
The Spirit Carries On
Solitary Shell
I Walk Beside You
Chosen
Begin Again
Our New World (that may be a little tough, but it's on the easy side DT wise)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 11:30:50 PM »
If we started with doing easy songs for samples, I wouldn't really have a problem with that, just as long as the final thing isn't so easy that it's uninteresting (to play). I'll start going down this list when I get time & I'll post back here ASAP.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 11:45:23 PM »
Hey, guys.

This has probably been talked every now and then in here but I would really like to formally make it happen. How awesome would it be to record a cool tribute to DT using the skills of people from the forum?

I'm a keyboardist, and I'm up to produce and mix the whole thing (I mix music for a living, so I'm really at home doing such task). Are there any interested musicians? We could do a poll later on to decide which pieces it would be really nice to cover. It would be awesome it we did something from The Astonishing, given it's still something incredibly new!

Are you proposing a DTF Astonishing recreation???  :o
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
Hey, guys.

THE PROJECT'S NAME WILL BE THE ASTOUNDING HOW COOL IS THAT :neverusethis:

DarkLord maybe put something in the OP with the members of the project (so far). We can list possible songs there too.

Here's a short list I've come up with of pieces that wouldn't be too overwhelming to those who want to participate (I say let's see how this goes with a relatively "easy" song, and if all goes well we can choose something a little more difficult).

Another Day
To Live Forever
The Spirit Carries On
Solitary Shell
I Walk Beside You
Chosen
Begin Again
Our New World (that may be a little tough, but it's on the easy side DT wise)

Nice idea. Will do.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
Hey, guys.

THE PROJECT'S NAME WILL BE THE ASTOUNDING HOW COOL IS THAT :neverusethis:

Call it the Astounding and give it a fan made Dystopian story, but with the same music?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:21 PM »
It's gonna be a crossover of DT ideas.

Lord Nafaryus is The Count of Tuscany.

HISTORIAN
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »
Act 1: Lord Nafarious is trapped inside an Octavarium.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 09:07:09 AM »

sucking on his pipe

as blood spills on his brand-new floor
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline home

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »

sucking on his pipe

as blood spills on his brand-new floor
Because I can only take so much of your noice machines

Come on drummer and better guitarist than me  :hat
Perhaps we should post something in the DT discussion subforum, I think a lot more people check that subforum.

By the way I can certainly play all the songs above on piano without problem (if I can figure out the notes, though I already have sheet music for some of them) Guitar would be a bit more difficult for some :\

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2016, 01:20:33 AM »

Act 2: Nicolas wakes up in a glass prison next to the count (of Tuscany) Overhearing the sound of the NOMACS they are able to both summon and then sell their souls to the dark master....
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »
I've just recently set up a home studio so I would be all for doing this. :) I'm a guitar player and would be happy to help out, as long as the song isn't one of their crazier ones! To Live Forever might be fun!
I have purchased both Cubase and Positive Grid Bias FX so I definitly have the means to get a great tone out of it. :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
I've just recently set up a home studio so I would be all for doing this. :) I'm a guitar player and would be happy to help out, as long as the song isn't one of their crazier ones! To Live Forever might be fun!
I have purchased both Cubase and Positive Grid Bias FX so I definitly have the means to get a great tone out of it. :metal
Awesome! You're in.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
I see you got keys covered but if you decide to do a song that has orchestral stuff in it I can do that as that's what I do for a living  :angel:

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2016, 05:10:20 PM »
I can do complex guitar, bass and piano if it's needed. And for a bonus, I can help create our fan concept.

How far will this go though? If it's good can we sell it on CD (after copywrite stuff)?
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:48 PM »
I see you got keys covered but if you decide to do a song that has orchestral stuff in it I can do that as that's what I do for a living  :angel:

The idea is to make a compilation of various songs, played by different people if we have the response! And have more than one person per instrument if the song benefits from it, as well. So, for example, if we cover a song from The Astonishing it would be awesome if I play the piano parts while you play the orchestral parts. Would you like that? I'm counting you in!

I can do complex guitar, bass and piano if it's needed. And for a bonus, I can help create our fan concept.

How far will this go though? If it's good can we sell it on CD (after copywrite stuff)?

It would be really awesome, you should totally create the fan concept. I'll include you also in the instrument list.

I don't know yet how far, depends on the response from both the musicians interested in this and the reception by the people of course. I guess we shall see *in Lord Bug voice tone*
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 08:29:30 PM »
We need a drummer. Do you guys know anyone from the DTF community that plays drums and has decent recording equipment?
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
ME!
I play the drums and I have a decent recording equipment! :)
Though one problem: I can't do those crazy crazy double kicks Mangini does on some songs and I'm not as fast as Mangini. He is too technical.
And The Dance of Eternity will be pretty messy....but I take drum lessons and have my own kit. It's not extravagant, but I have the basics.

I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 08:55:03 PM »
No prob, it's good to have you on board! Technical details later on, such as recording formats, video, etc.

Well, for the time being we're complete!

Alright, here now comes the juicy stuff. Time to vote for which songs are we gonna cover! What do you guys propose? I had a poll in mind, in which everyone proposes one or two songs and we vote for the ones we want to cover the most. I'm open to suggestions, of course.

Also, your video needs to be recorded. I'm not asking for 4k quality video, but some nice video in the best def you possibly can afford should be enough!
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2016, 08:56:17 PM »
Thank you!  :D
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
So we're creating a fan-made concept album called "The Astounding" based off The Astonishing??

Awesome!!!!  :metal
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 09:29:07 PM »
And here are some ideas: The Gift of Music, Moment of Betrayal, or........A Nightmare to Remember!!! Just kidding!  ;D