Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 514939 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #4200 on: January 10, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »
It's still holding up well for me too, but these days I would tend to dip in and out of it rather than listen in a full pass.

One thing that is slightly bothering me, that didn't until recently, (and once you hear it, you can't un-hear it) is the effects added to the vocals at various parts. I hesitate to say "autotune", but there's an unnatural, metallic-sounding effect that can be noticeable and distracting.

"Open eyes, let me see which choice is riiiiggghhhhttt" at the end of The Road to Revolution is a good example.

It may just be the iTunes master - I haven't heard what the original CD sounds like.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #4201 on: January 10, 2017, 08:04:39 AM »
Yeah theres bit of that all over the disc. Most noticable for me is at the end of Act of Faythe, the very last line. Just sounds real weird!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4202 on: January 10, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »
To me, what sounds weird are all the Daryus lines that have some sort of effect applied to the vocals. I know it's on purpose, to make it sound different than the other characters and give him a darker/heavier tone, so I understand why they did it, but sounds weird to me.

Other than that, I have no problems with the vocals on TA.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Mladen

« Reply #4203 on: January 10, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
One thing that is slightly bothering me, that didn't until recently, (and once you hear it, you can't un-hear it) is the effects added to the vocals at various parts. I hesitate to say "autotune", but there's an unnatural, metallic-sounding effect that can be noticeable and distracting.

"Open eyes, let me see which choice is riiiiggghhhhttt" at the end of The Road to Revolution is a good example.
I'm sure that line had to be worked on with studio trickery, but I don't think it's audible.

Offline Evai

« Reply #4204 on: January 10, 2017, 11:05:21 AM »
While we're nitpicking, can I just say that at 2:27 of A Life Left Behind, the word 'once' always sounds a bit weird to me  :angel:
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4205 on: January 10, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »
Yeah theres bit of that all over the disc. Most noticable for me is at the end of Act of Faythe, the very last line. Just sounds real weird!

"Found my wayyy". Yeah, that's another one.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4206 on: January 11, 2017, 09:25:28 AM »
It's still holding up well for me too, but these days I would tend to dip in and out of it rather than listen in a full pass.

It may just be the iTunes master - I haven't heard what the original CD sounds like.

I think what you are hearing is the vocal delay effect, something that you usually hear when you sing in videoke machines.  :lol There is a vocal delay effect in the whole album, which you would hear coming from the right speaker. It sounds a bit like an autotune when James sings an extended belted note because of the layering of the vocals.

I only noticed the vocal delay when I pulled the wire of my left in-ear phone which damaged it and significantly reduced its volume. The volume of the main vocals and the delay became almost the same and it was so distracting.  :lol

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #4207 on: January 13, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »
I love the ballads it has that Disney Musical esque vibe without the Disney thing.!!!
And she listens openly

Offline Jinx

« Reply #4208 on: January 13, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
Okay, this might sound weird to some of you but do you know what I would like them to do? Release the files for the extended (and IMO proper) versions of the NOMAC tracks from Act 1. I've checked the run times of these live against the album and none of Act 2s were extended so its clear these were cut down due to disc space.

The thing is, to me they are the true versions. I love the effects and more importantly, with Descent you get the whole "The Empire toils for you so that you can toil for the Empire" spiel which actually sets the scene a bit better.

Just the MP3 files? They clearly exist somewhere!

Or is it just me who feels this way?  :-\

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4209 on: January 13, 2017, 07:01:53 AM »
I don't think there will be an easy way to get those files unless they release a live version of the album or perhaps you find a really good bootleg

Offline Jinx

« Reply #4210 on: January 13, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »
[relatively] short answer:  Yes, there is a possibility.  How likely, we don't know.  The Astonishing tour is done, and there are no specific plans in place to play the entire thing again.  But that doesn't mean they won't do it.  When I asked John Petrucci about it in November, he told me the plan is to focus on the I&W and Beyond tour right now, and there are no plans to do another leg for The Astonishing.  However, they are considering whether to do a one-off show for a DVD.  It is undecided.  But if they do it, they already have a city picked out that they are leaning towards.

An album and show as grand as The Astonishing deserves a grand stage. For me that would be the Royal Albert Hall in London.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4211 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »
I don't know what's to gain from 2 minutes of random noise as opposed to only 1 minute of random noise.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4212 on: January 13, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »
:lol

Offline Jinx

« Reply #4213 on: January 13, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »
I just want the whole tracks dagnabbit!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4214 on: January 13, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »
Okay, this might sound weird to some of you but do you know what I would like them to do? Release the files for the extended (and IMO proper) versions of the NOMAC tracks from Act 1. I've checked the run times of these live against the album and none of Act 2s were extended so its clear these were cut down due to disc space.

The thing is, to me they are the true versions. I love the effects and more importantly, with Descent you get the whole "The Empire toils for you so that you can toil for the Empire" spiel which actually sets the scene a bit better.

Just the MP3 files? They clearly exist somewhere!

Or is it just me who feels this way?  :-\
I love that bit.  It really set the stage for the story in the live setting.  But then again, I have really developed an affinity for The Hunger Games, and the fact that that spiel is SO blatantly derivative of The Hunger Games that I can't help but love it.  (same with the "song birds" line in The Gift of Music) 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4215 on: January 13, 2017, 09:09:42 AM »
[relatively] short answer:  Yes, there is a possibility.  How likely, we don't know.  The Astonishing tour is done, and there are no specific plans in place to play the entire thing again.  But that doesn't mean they won't do it.  When I asked John Petrucci about it in November, he told me the plan is to focus on the I&W and Beyond tour right now, and there are no plans to do another leg for The Astonishing.  However, they are considering whether to do a one-off show for a DVD.  It is undecided.  But if they do it, they already have a city picked out that they are leaning towards.

An album and show as grand as The Astonishing deserves a grand stage. For me that would be the Royal Albert Hall in London.

And Devin Townsend had fart bags run across the stage of the Royal Albert Hall  :lol but seriously, that looks like a cool venue.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4216 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
The request has been made and is being put through the proper channels.

FYI, the tracks they used for the live show ARE the full tracks.  So if you saw The Astonishing live, you have experienced the full NOMAC tracks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jinx

« Reply #4217 on: January 13, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »

FYI, the tracks they used for the live show ARE the full tracks.  So if you saw The Astonishing live, you have experienced the full NOMAC tracks.

Excellent news bosk cheers!

I thought just as much, just seemed weird that all of them in Act 1 were extended from the album yet Act 2 was untouched!

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #4218 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:38 PM »

Descent of the NOMACs at least is different. They use a third buzz at the end when playing live.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4219 on: January 13, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »

Excellent news bosk cheers!

I thought just as much, just seemed weird that all of them in Act 1 were extended from the album yet Act 2 was untouched!

That's because Disc 1 was already full and they couldn't fit any more stuff in it. Would've been awesome, as you say, to have the extended versions and, specially, that spoken intro with the narrator. That's another good reason to release a live album for TA. Really really hope they find the time (and resources) to make it happen after the IW&B tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #4220 on: January 19, 2017, 07:10:34 PM »
Nm.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:39:40 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #4221 on: December 14, 2017, 05:03:35 PM »
Hey bosk, since they ended up scrapping the plans for a dvd, can you tell us what city they had their eye on?
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4222 on: December 15, 2017, 12:35:23 PM »
If they do a "one-off" Astonishing show and put the word out that it will be filmed for a dvd, there are plenty of DT fans that would get plane tix and travel to the venue. It would be a sold out show and would be an epic release! I think I would travel for that one to be part of it. I really think they should do it, it just NEEDS to happen!
 As far as the proper venue, Red Rocks amphitheater in Colarodo would be perfect.  An easy place for fans to get to from around the country. Somewhere in Japan, England, or Italy would probably guarantee a big draw too. Still hoping this even happens.
  "I watch, and I wait, and I praaayyy for an answer"   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4223 on: December 15, 2017, 12:42:41 PM »
Hey bosk, since they ended up scrapping the plans for a dvd, can you tell us what city they had their eye on?

I'm going to hold off just in case they change their minds and resurrect the idea.  The plan was to do a one-off in a certain city.  I'm not sure if they had a specific venue in mind or not, but I am guessing they probably did. 

Offline smegolas

« Reply #4224 on: December 15, 2017, 04:00:50 PM »
If they do a "one-off" Astonishing show and put the word out that it will be filmed for a dvd, there are plenty of DT fans that would get plane tix and travel to the venue. It would be a sold out show and would be an epic release! I think I would travel for that one to be part of it. I really think they should do it, it just NEEDS to happen!
 As far as the proper venue, Red Rocks amphitheater in Colarodo would be perfect.  An easy place for fans to get to from around the country. Somewhere in Japan, England, or Italy would probably guarantee a big draw too. Still hoping this even happens.
  "I watch, and I wait, and I praaayyy for an answer"   :metal

Totally agree - if I can fit it into my schedule, especially if its on a weekend and in North America, I would do everything in my power to get there...DT PLEASE DO THIS!!  IN VANCOUVER!!!  ;) ;D

Offline smegolas

« Reply #4225 on: December 15, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »

wait...can we crowd fund this??!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4226 on: December 15, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Vancouver as not the city.  But you are in the right country.   :censored

Offline Evai

« Reply #4227 on: December 15, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Vancouver is not the city. 

Is it England?

[/stupid meme]
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4228 on: December 15, 2017, 05:47:26 PM »

America?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #4229 on: December 15, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »

It's bound to be Toronto.  I can't see it be Edmonton or Calgary or Montreal.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4230 on: December 15, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »
I find very strange that they've never recorded a live album in Canada, since James is canadian.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4231 on: December 16, 2017, 05:03:47 AM »
Well dang, if they do this near or in Toronto, maybe Geddy and Alex can do a guest appearance. Xanadu being an encore epic?  Doesn't hurt to dream now does it..  :eek
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #4232 on: October 24, 2021, 12:05:10 PM »
Had to dig quite a whole to find this buried topic, but to me surely worthwhile. Since the Astonishing is aging so well on me, the novell as well as the album, I pretend on digging through these 121 pages. Just 'cause its fun and helping me with different perspectives on the album. Especially this album, being so different then all of their discography, it wouldn't bite me to read a lot about.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:31:26 PM by Wim Kruithof »
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4233 on: October 24, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
Had to dig quite a whole to find this buried topic, but to me surely worthwhile. Since the Astonishing is aging so well on me, the novell as well as the album, I pretend on digging through these 121 pages. Just 'cause its fun and helping me with different perspectives on the album. Especially this album, being so different then all of their discography, it wouldn't bite me to read a lot about.

This is the most recent thread for The Astonishing discussion. There's some good stuff in here too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4234 on: October 24, 2021, 01:14:32 PM »
I’ll never forget all the hype and mystery surrounding this album leading up to its release. Despite what you want to say about the album itself, the marketing for this one was absolutely amazing. Definitely the most fun pre-album release I’ve had since I’ve been a DT fan!