Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 515118 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #4165 on: January 01, 2017, 06:57:23 AM »
Even if The Astonishing was terrible - i'd rather they took a risk once in a while instead of putting out safe album after safe album.

Exactly. I happen to love it, but there's no way anyone can call it DT By Numbers.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4166 on: January 01, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »
Album of the year for me.  Saw it live twice and still haven't gotten tired of listening to it.

That's what I like to hear.  :metal

Even if The Astonishing was terrible - i'd rather they took a risk once in a while instead of putting out safe album after safe album.

Exactly. I happen to love it, but there's no way anyone can call it DT By Numbers.

DT By Numbers? That's so beyond shortsighted it's more like Critique by Numbers.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4167 on: January 01, 2017, 01:05:46 PM »
Mike Mangini would love it if The Astonishing was called " Dream Theater by numbers "

:dangerwillrobinson: Did someone say "numbers?!" . Oh God I hope it's 19 and 6.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4168 on: January 01, 2017, 09:39:57 PM »
Well, re-listening to the Astonishing (this is probably the 3rd time that I've listened to it in full, aside from hearing the songs as their own from time to time,) and it holds up well.  I'm approaching Hymn of a Thousand Voices and I'm re-reading the concept of The Astonishing on, yes, Wikipedia and I actually shed a bit of a tear now regarding the whole people in the town coming together and singing which led to Gabriel regaining his ability to sing and bring Faythe back to life. 

The power of music is a powerful tool indeed.  So, if there's one thing that I'm glad Dream Theater brought with this album, is their ability to tell a story about how great music can be and the obstacles it goes through to be presented in its purest form, but present it in their own way through a fictional story.

This. Absolutely how I feel about the album's concept. Music has meant so much to my life and as soon as I looked at The Astonishing from that perspective, I started to appreciate the story as well as the music.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4169 on: January 03, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »

Yeah, really, really good point.  And it wasn't terrible by any stretch, so it is a risk that largely paid off by just about any standard you want to use.  Great post.

I'm very, very pleased with this album. It has been a total trip to listen to.

Same here.  I still have a difficult time ranking the album.  And I still feel that, because of the different nature of the album as well as its length, it may not have the staying power for me in the discography ranking.  But here's the thing...I fully expected that I would really like the album for a few months, and then it would gradually start to fall off my radar and fade away as I began looking forward to the new album.  That is the complete opposite of what happened the last two album cycles.  When the s/t came out, I was still spinning ADTOE constantly and couldn't get enough of it, and I could hardly believe a new album was almost upon us already when I wasn't even remotely tired of the previous one.  When TA came out, I felt the same way about DT12.  I fully expected that to NOT happen with TA, and expected that it would be slipping by now.  Actually, quite the opposite.  I am loving it now more than ever, and that honestly surprises me. 

To put it another way, I was thankful for the grand experiment that was The Astonishing when it came out.  And as a grand experiment so late in their career, I recognized that it is a huge accomplishment and a significant milestone.  But beyond that, I did not expect it to have a lasting musical impact on me.  Or at least, I wasn't sure that it would.  I am pleasantly surprised to find that I feel it is an important part of the musical landscape of DT's career, and I am hugely thankful that they composed this album for us to listen to and enjoy. 

Also somewhat unexpectedly, one of the things that pushed it over the edge for me was the second time I saw the live show in Reno.  That night was so unexpectedly magical.  Oddly, talking to the band after the show, I'm not sure they felt the same way from the stage.  But everyone around me in the pit and those I talked to afterwards back in the seats all thought it was a fantastic show.  I still involuntarily think back on that show when I listen to the album, and that gives a new dimension to the songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4170 on: January 03, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
I'm still listening to this album a lot. And though I'll try and listen to it in its entirety I still listen to all the songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4171 on: January 03, 2017, 11:33:03 AM »
I stopped listening to it, but because of the natural cycle of listening to music and finding new stuff and new releases, not because I got bored of it. I enjoyed entirely the album and I still have it on my mp3 player just in case, I haven't removed it yet.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4172 on: January 03, 2017, 12:39:37 PM »
I stopped listening to it, but because of the natural cycle of listening to music and finding new stuff and new releases, not because I got bored of it. I enjoyed entirely the album and I still have it on my mp3 player just in case, I haven't removed it yet.

So, you still have it in your muuuuuusic plaaaaaayer  :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4173 on: January 03, 2017, 12:41:03 PM »
Bwhahaha I didn't even think of that!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4174 on: January 03, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »

So, you still have it in your muuuuuusic plaaaaaayer  :biggrin:

And should leave it there for in case one day in the distant future music is dead and maybe some young girl will find this MP3 player and be blessed with the gift of music....

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4175 on: January 03, 2017, 05:25:44 PM »

I gotta agree with this. I didn't like TA but I'm glad they took a chance.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4176 on: January 03, 2017, 08:42:17 PM »

Same here.  I still have a difficult time ranking the album.  And I still feel that, because of the different nature of the album as well as its length, it may not have the staying power for me in the discography ranking.  But here's the thing...I fully expected that I would really like the album for a few months, and then it would gradually start to fall off my radar and fade away as I began looking forward to the new album.  That is the complete opposite of what happened the last two album cycles.  When the s/t came out, I was still spinning ADTOE constantly and couldn't get enough of it, and I could hardly believe a new album was almost upon us already when I wasn't even remotely tired of the previous one.  When TA came out, I felt the same way about DT12.  I fully expected that to NOT happen with TA, and expected that it would be slipping by now.  Actually, quite the opposite.  I am loving it now more than ever, and that honestly surprises me. 

To put it another way, I was thankful for the grand experiment that was The Astonishing when it came out.  And as a grand experiment so late in their career, I recognized that it is a huge accomplishment and a significant milestone.  But beyond that, I did not expect it to have a lasting musical impact on me.  Or at least, I wasn't sure that it would.  I am pleasantly surprised to find that I feel it is an important part of the musical landscape of DT's career, and I am hugely thankful that they composed this album for us to listen to and enjoy. 

Also somewhat unexpectedly, one of the things that pushed it over the edge for me was the second time I saw the live show in Reno.  That night was so unexpectedly magical.  Oddly, talking to the band after the show, I'm not sure they felt the same way from the stage.  But everyone around me in the pit and those I talked to afterwards back in the seats all thought it was a fantastic show.  I still involuntarily think back on that show when I listen to the album, and that gives a new dimension to the songs.

Seeing it live definitely helped me to become more obsessed with it. :)  The first leg was awesome - I loved it and felt like I couldn't have asked for any more.  It helped bring the album to life and the band was of course incredible.  But that second leg was just something else - I can't even explain how, but overall it was even better.  So I'm thankful too, for all the reasons you listed above.  And thankful I got to experience it in person - like you, I think back on the live shows when I'm listening to the album, and it definitely makes the listening experience that much better.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4177 on: January 03, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »

I will never get a chance to see Dream Theater live. But when I listened to TA, I knew already that it would translate well live because it was really written as a stage musical. That's why I was annoyingly insistent to the other posters that this is not really a concept album ala SFAM, Operation: Mindcrime, Savatage's Streets, etc. It's a musical, although sung by just a single vocalist, more akin to Jesus Christ Superstar, as pointed out by another DTF member, Sebastian. My musical theater friends liked it more than my friends who are prog fans. :lol I hope one day it would be performed with different vocalists to realize the musical's potential.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4178 on: January 04, 2017, 08:13:03 AM »
My musical theater friends liked it more than my friends who are prog fans. :lol I hope one day it would be performed with different vocalists to realize the musical's potential.

I also met a couple people who were musical fans but not metal fans who enjoyed what they heard of TA.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #4179 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:52 AM »

I will never get a chance to see Dream Theater live. But when I listened to TA, I knew already that it would translate well live because it was really written as a stage musical. That's why I was annoyingly insistent to the other posters that this is not really a concept album ala SFAM, Operation: Mindcrime, Savatage's Streets, etc. It's a musical, although sung by just a single vocalist, more akin to Jesus Christ Superstar, as pointed out by another DTF member, Sebastian. My musical theater friends liked it more than my friends who are prog fans. :lol I hope one day it would be performed with different vocalists to realize the musical's potential.
My musical theater friends liked it more than my friends who are prog fans. :lol

You have to be kidding :rollin
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4180 on: January 04, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #4181 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:53 PM »
You're right, unfortunately.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4182 on: January 04, 2017, 11:26:36 PM »

My musical theater friends liked it more than my friends who are prog fans. :lol

You have to be kidding :rollin

Nope.

Offline PMA

« Reply #4183 on: January 05, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »
Without having to scroll through this entire thread, is there any possibility they are going to release this on DVD/BluRay?  I'd really like to have this presented live.  I truly enjoy this release and have listened to it many times.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4184 on: January 05, 2017, 12:26:26 PM »
Without having to scroll through this entire thread, is there any possibility they are going to release this on DVD/BluRay?  I'd really like to have this presented live.  I truly enjoy this release and have listened to it many times.

There's a thread for this discussion.  The short answer is we don't know but they didn't film anything so to me that means it's unlikely, but there could be something else up DT's sleeve.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4185 on: January 05, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »
[relatively] short answer:  Yes, there is a possibility.  How likely, we don't know.  The Astonishing tour is done, and there are no specific plans in place to play the entire thing again.  But that doesn't mean they won't do it.  When I asked John Petrucci about it in November, he told me the plan is to focus on the I&W and Beyond tour right now, and there are no plans to do another leg for The Astonishing.  However, they are considering whether to do a one-off show for a DVD.  It is undecided.  But if they do it, they already have a city picked out that they are leaning towards.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4186 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »
That would be awesome! I hope that comes to fruition, it would be a shame not to.  It is too good of a production and performance to let slip through the cracks..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4187 on: January 05, 2017, 06:50:21 PM »
Hope they film Chicago if they do!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4188 on: January 05, 2017, 08:39:35 PM »
If they aren't doing it before the I&W tour, I don't think they'll ever do it. DT has always maintained a tight schedule. My guess is they'll go straight into working on the next album after I&W, tour for that, and The Astonishing related projects will gradually disappear.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4189 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
That would be awesome! I hope that comes to fruition, it would be a shame not to.  It is too good of a production and performance to let slip through the cracks..

100% agreed and the worst part is there is a huge lack of fan footage from the tour so it'll go down as the forgotten tour in history without a proper dvd.  Really sucks, but makes me really happy to have seen it twice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4190 on: January 06, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
If they aren't doing it before the I&W tour, I don't think they'll ever do it. DT has always maintained a tight schedule. My guess is they'll go straight into working on the next album after I&W, tour for that, and The Astonishing related projects will gradually disappear.
Well, no.  I just addressed this three posts above yours.  They are NOT going to do it before the I&W tour and are still deciding whether it will work and make sense to do it immediately after. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4191 on: January 06, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
I think it's more about the effort it would take to resurrect the whole album after many months of not playing it. That's a sizeable amount of work; of course it can be done, but DT is usually not a particularly backward-looking band, I think they would just enter the studio and go for the next album instead.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4192 on: January 06, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
I think it's more about the effort it would take to resurrect the whole album after many months of not playing it. That's a sizeable amount of work; of course it can be done, but DT is usually not a particularly backward-looking band, I think they would just enter the studio and go for the next album instead.

That's what I think too.  I think it's very possible that the I&W shows do well that the band does not look back at TA at all, including the record company who may look at a live TA album as a bad investment.  Sucks hardcore.  I really do hope they revive it for one more epic show, but I don't expect it at all.

Offline Evai

« Reply #4193 on: January 06, 2017, 03:42:18 PM »
I guess not having a DVD plus having next to no fan footage will give TA some kind of mystique... A kind of Space-Dye-Vest vibe of only existing in one form.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4194 on: January 06, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »
Yes, and JP expressed that exact sentiment.  But at the same time, he and the rest of the band also feel it is important to try to capture it, so they are leaving the door open and will decide once the I&W tour is winding down.  The distinct impression I got is that it really could go either way.  While what you are saying is dead on, keep in mind that they also have a specific city in mind, which isn't something they would have decided on if they were leaning heavily toward completely scrapping the idea.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4195 on: January 06, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Yes, and JP expressed that exact sentiment.  But at the same time, he and the rest of the band also feel it is important to try to capture it, so they are leaving the door open and will decide once the I&W tour is winding down.  The distinct impression I got is that it really could go either way.  While what you are saying is dead on, keep in mind that they also have a specific city in mind, which isn't something they would have decided on if they were leaning heavily toward completely scrapping the idea.

Yea, I think that leaves the option open for Sydney as speculated in the other thread since Australia didn't get the tour and the Opera House would be perfect for this show.  It would actually be pretty sweet if they did back to back concerts, one night TA and the next night I&W.

Offline Evai

« Reply #4196 on: January 06, 2017, 05:52:04 PM »
It can go either way... Hmm, that seems fitting.

Should I turn my back on TA?
Abandon all our plans for a live DVD?
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #4197 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05:27 PM »
Well, no.  I just addressed this three posts above yours.  They are NOT going to do it before the I&W tour and are still deciding whether it will work and make sense to do it immediately after.
Yes I saw that post. I was not saying that I think there is any possibility of them doing it before the I&W tour. I get that they are still considering it but a lot can change in a year. By the time they've finished the I&W tour and possibly come up with music for the next album, they might no longer be interested. Fan demand could make a difference too.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #4198 on: January 07, 2017, 02:15:41 AM »
It can go either way... Hmm, that seems fitting.

Should I turn my back on TA?
Abandon all our plans for a live DVD?

This is what their next concept album is about.

Then they'll film that one.... or will they?

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #4199 on: January 10, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »
The Astonishing is wearing well for me.  Even though I agree with some of the criticisms, the beauty of the music overpowers them.

The album keeps moving up my list the more I listen to it.  And my wife likes it as well!

In my head I made up my own version of the story.  I purposely haven't read much of the official explanation of the story for this reason.  Does anyone else do this?