Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518081 times)

Offline PMA

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #4060 on: November 23, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »
Does anyone know for sure what songs from TA were left out of the recent tour to make room for the encore tunes?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4061 on: November 23, 2016, 08:51:08 PM »
Does anyone know for sure what songs from TA were left out of the recent tour to make room for the encore tunes?

The X Aspect
The Road to Revolution
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Whisper's in the Wind

At least that's what Setlist.fm says was cut from the show on Nov. 20th.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4062 on: November 23, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »
That is correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #4063 on: November 23, 2016, 11:45:53 PM »
That is correct.

I looked up the setlist.fm one and then looked up the album set list and did a detailed item analysis.

Can't I at least get a gold star too?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4064 on: November 23, 2016, 11:57:38 PM »
Two.  Remind me if we ever meet.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4065 on: November 24, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »

The X Aspect
The Road to Revolution
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Whisper's in the Wind

Holy crap, some amazing songs were left out. I really think doing that was a bad idea.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4066 on: November 24, 2016, 02:00:15 PM »

The X Aspect
The Road to Revolution
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Whisper's in the Wind

Holy crap, some amazing songs were left out. I really think doing that was a bad idea.

I guess DT can't win no matter what they do.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4067 on: November 24, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »

The X Aspect
The Road to Revolution
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Whisper's in the Wind

everything is never enough lols

That's not like it. I loved the full The Astonishing show so much that I saw it for 2 consecutive nights (and boy, it wasn't cheap); and one of the reasons I took the decision of seeing it again was that I knew that they wouldn't repeat it ever again. It's the full Astonishing experience, from beginning to end, and that's what made this tour special. I think it was a bad idea taking some songs from the album and adding some ole classics because they will never do this tour again, and they have played PMU, AIA and TSCO literally hundreds and thousands of times (and will continue doing so). I don't know what prompted them to pull off those songs, if it was low attendance or if they just felt like playing some old tunes just for the sake of having a good time. Either way, it's fine and they can do whatever they want of course, but I don't agree with the move. I can't imagine them playing songs like The X Aspect or The Road to Revolution as standalone songs in future concerts because they don't work that well outside of their context IMO, so that kinda makes (made?) this tour the only chance to check them out live.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4068 on: November 24, 2016, 03:56:46 PM »
I kind of go back and forth on the whole DT taking some songs out. I mean if they advertised the TA as the whole show then I feel like they should play the whole show. I'm not interested in seeing TA so I'll pass and catch them when they do a normal DT show. Playing a few songs as an encore isn't enough to make me want to see them when 95% of the show is TA.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #4069 on: November 24, 2016, 04:17:17 PM »

The X Aspect
The Road to Revolution
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Whisper's in the Wind

The Astonishing is 2:10.  Add a little applause, etc, it's maybe 2:15 live.  They added about 25 minutes.  Add 5 more for the encore break and you're at 2:45 which is right around what the Along for the Ride tour was.  So they could have done it.  They just chose not to.  Which is their prerogative but it wasn't undoable to do the whole of The Astonishing and still add 30 minutes.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4070 on: November 24, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »

The X Aspect
The Road to Revolution
Heaven's Cove
Begin Again
Whisper's in the Wind

The Astonishing is 2:10.  Add a little applause, etc, it's maybe 2:15 live.  They added about 25 minutes.  Add 5 more for the encore break and you're at 2:45 which is right around what the Along for the Ride tour was.  So they could have done it.  They just chose not to.  Which is their prerogative but it wasn't undoable to do the whole of The Astonishing and still add 30 minutes.

If it was me I would be pissed if they cut out songs from the Astonishing to make room for an encore.

But then I love TA and even having seen it twice I would rather see it again than the Images & Words and beyond tour.

It's such a special tour that will never return  again. Sure they will play a few songs but never the whole Astonishing show.

Images & Words and beyond will still be a great tour and the fact that we will be four friends going to this tour when we were 2 going to the Astonishing makes it even better. But still.... it will be songs I have heard many times live before and will hear again on the next tour.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4071 on: November 25, 2016, 07:38:39 AM »
I agree that removing those songs was a bad idea. Mainly because if I went to those particular shows expecting the album in its entirety, I'd be disappointed.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4072 on: November 25, 2016, 08:13:18 AM »
They're all songs I skipped for my abridged version of The Astonishing, save for Road to Revolution, so if it had happened to me I would have probably agreed  :biggrin: but yeah, it's a small letdown for those anticipating the *whole* thing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4073 on: November 25, 2016, 09:36:54 AM »
My news feed has been suggesting this interview:

https://metalassault.com/Interviews/2016/11/10/a-cross-between-a-rock-concert-a-movie-and-a-musical-john-petrucci-discusses-dream-theaters-the-astonishing-live-experience/

which seems to be recent (they claim they spoke to JP on November 9th)

I imagined it first as a Dream Theater show, and then of course as a Dream Theater album, but beyond that, there’s a video game that is in development, there’s a novel that is in development. And one of the other things is that, yes, it would fit perfectly, I think, adapted as a musical, in the same way that The Who did that successfully with ‘Tommy’, and Green Day more recently with ‘American Idiot’ on broadway. So yeah, that would be amazing.

Is this just an old interview they're pushing as new, or is he still counting on the computer game and the novel? I assumed that at this point, at least the computer game is off the table.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #4074 on: November 25, 2016, 12:24:50 PM »
The video game is still on as far as I know - I've played an almost complete version of it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4075 on: November 25, 2016, 09:16:53 PM »
The reason I don't see a DVD is because since day one of the tour, it was presented as a live experience. Think about about the quote "People just don't have the time" and it showed.

If you didn't bother to see the show, that's it. Which most people won't like. But I love it. It's like you people don't like the music don't expect a DVD.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4076 on: November 26, 2016, 08:04:12 AM »
I'm glad I got to see the whole thing live.

I think they caved by changing the set like that. (And I say that having a very low regard for the lyrics.)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4077 on: November 26, 2016, 11:09:13 AM »
I'm also glad I got to see the whole thing live twice (Chicago/Milwaukee)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4078 on: November 26, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
I really really like TA, it made it to my top 3 DT albums  ;D

Having said that, I think they're taking it too far with the video game, a possible musical, the book and even the movie idea. I understand this is an enormous concept and they want to have it represented the best way they can, but this seems like they're pushing too much on these ideas, which, imo, won't end up being that good or successful as they might want them to be :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4079 on: November 26, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »
None of that stuff will happen, honestly. The first leg of the tour went fine, but the second one was a plain disaster. Who will honestly play a smartphone game a year after an album came out? Not many. Who would read a novel about a plot that already in lyrics form was cringeworthy in a lot of places? Not many.

DT aren't screenwriters, or authors. They are musicians. The earlier they return to what they are best at, the better. There is so much music to explore that they shut out (jazz, acoustic), it's an utter waste of time to go The Wall when they so clearly aren't good at it.

Online Adami

« Reply #4080 on: November 26, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »
None of that stuff will happen, honestly. The first leg of the tour went fine, but the second one was a plain disaster. Who will honestly play a smartphone game a year after an album came out? Not many. Who would read a novel about a plot that already in lyrics form was cringeworthy in a lot of places? Not many.

DT aren't screenwriters, or authors. They are musicians. The earlier they return to what they are best at, the better.

While I completely agree with you, plenty of people here (at least) seem to really think the story was top notch and amazing. I also doubt JP will be writing any of it himself.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4081 on: November 26, 2016, 03:44:18 PM »
DTF for many reasons isn't a good measuring stick. If you look at social media like Facebook or YouTube,  rating sites like Sputnik and RYM, and ticketing sites like Ticketmaster, there's one conclusion: TA wasn't well received, and DT is best advised moving on. To some degree I think they know that, I think the IAW tour is a direct acknowledgement of that.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4082 on: November 26, 2016, 07:33:43 PM »
I'm really debating if I should go see TA live. They are in Charlotte the 28th and while I don't care for TA I'd like to support the guys. There are tickets a plenty.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4083 on: November 26, 2016, 07:35:13 PM »
  TA wasn't well received, and DT is best advised moving on. To some degree I think they know that, I think the IAW tour is a direct acknowledgement of that.
Are you saying that you believe this next run of European dates was originally intended to be a TA leg?

DTF for many reasons isn't a good measuring stick. If you look at social media like Facebook or YouTube,  rating sites like Sputnik and RYM, and ticketing sites like Ticketmaster, 

I think for DT, DTF is a relatively decent measuring stick. TA got plenty of criticisms around here. I think DT has always been fairly scrutinized around here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4084 on: November 26, 2016, 07:36:37 PM »
I'm really debating if I should go see TA live. They are in Charlotte the 28th and while I don't care for TA I'd like to support the guys. There are tickets a plenty.

I think you should go just to support the band, also, they're playing 3 old songs for the encore. I would LOVE to have the opportunity to see the band live, no matter what they're playing, since I missed the only show they ever did here, back in 2010. I say go  :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4085 on: November 26, 2016, 07:38:37 PM »
I missed this tour and am extremely bummed. I couldn't imagine not seeing them if I could.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4086 on: November 26, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »
Are you saying that you believe this next run of European dates was originally intended to be a TA leg?

No, not really. I don't know what DT were planning, but I think after playing to 10 rows of fans in several venues, they said "We're hemorrhaging money, we need to bring back the fans. IAW 25th is coming up, let's tour on that."

I think for DT, DTF is a relatively decent measuring stick. TA got plenty of criticisms around here. I think DT has always been fairly scrutinized around here.

Nowhere near. Take RYM and Sputnik alone, TA is rated as below WDADU. Facebook is no different really, and as said, the last few concerts had abysmal attendance.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4087 on: November 26, 2016, 07:46:57 PM »
I have no idea what RYM and Sputnik are. At least I've heard of Facebook.

Not sure what Facebook has to do with it. Random comments by fans?

And WTF does RYM and Sputnik do?

Attendance, I'll give you is tangible.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4088 on: November 26, 2016, 07:53:28 PM »
https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/dream_theater  2.6/5 (1,021 ratings)

https://www.sputnikmusic.com/bands/Dream-Theater/49/   2.5/5 (231 ratings)

I'm assuming we will now go into the "discredit each site separately, ignoring its aggregate power" part of the discussion.

It is great that on DTF love TA, but overall TA has been ill-received, and ill-attended. DT are well advised to just drop it and move on,

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 08:04:02 PM by rumborak »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4089 on: November 26, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »

I'm assuming we will now go into the "discredit each site separately, ignoring its aggregate power" part of the discussion.
Dude, what? Really??

I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to discredit those sites. I've never heard of them. Looks like you can submit ratings.

The album has had a mediocre lukewarm reception here. I don't have any issues using DTF as a barometer.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4090 on: November 26, 2016, 08:05:16 PM »
I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to discredit those sites. I've never heard of them. Looks like you can submit ratings.

It's the democracy thing. Everybody votes their own.

The album has had a mediocre lukewarm reception here. I don't have any issues using DTF as a barometer.

And the lukewarm reception here is way beyond the general reception. When DTF is lukwarm about an album, the general public is very dissatisfied.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4091 on: November 26, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
That's like using Wikipedia as a reputable source for a college thesis.

Sites that any dope with an Internet connection can capriciously submit ratings to aren't places with which I would concern myself. Besides, far fewer people voted for TA as compared to the other releases. The percentage of votes compared to the album sales for TA makes the vote on those sites irrelevant. That's considering more people who already don't like DT probably voted against them for their own amusement. 400 votes on Sputnik? That's like using only the state of Montana to judge a presidential candidate.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4092 on: November 26, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »
As I said, we now entered the "diss every site separately, disregarding their aggregate power" state of the discussion. I mean, of course, each of those 1,500 votes are just one single guy's opinion! Even when they liked IAW and SFAM beforehand!

Sigh.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4093 on: November 26, 2016, 09:15:05 PM »
I might be wrong, but didn't TA did very well on the charts when it debuted? I mean Billboard and that kind of stuff

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4094 on: November 26, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »
As I said, we now entered the "diss every site separately, disregarding their aggregate power" state of the discussion. I mean, of course, each of those 1,500 votes are just one single guy's opinion! Even when they liked IAW and SFAM beforehand!

Sigh.

It's not a diss. It's an observation. The number of votes for TA is much smaller than the others. It's even more of an insignificant amount compared to the album sales. To me that makes the vote tally irrelevant. I sure as hell wouldn't base my decision on buying/not buying the album (or any album) using the 400 votes on Sputnik. I think the problem is that you expect everybody to put the same value in those numbers as you do, and if they don't, they're just dissing the site's "aggregate power".