Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518232 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #4025 on: November 10, 2016, 09:10:21 AM »
It was reported that The X Aspect was skipped during last gig in San Antonio (also with Road, Heaven's Cove and Begin Again).

As said in that gig thread,

If I went to the show and they skipped The X Aspect of all things, I would've been greatly disappointed

It's such a good piece of music.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4026 on: November 10, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Uh, I don't like this at all. I've seen that they added three encore songs and that's good, but what's the point of presenting the whole album in its entirety and then go "meh, whatever" on three songs?

I hope it's not true...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4027 on: November 10, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
I doubt they would leave out songs like this. Doesn't sound right to me..

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4028 on: November 10, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
I don't know, it sounds like they are making up the increased play time by cutting TA songs. Maybe it's a curfew problem or something.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #4029 on: November 10, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
That would suck if they cut songs from TA.  I hope that is not true.  It is possible that they have set times allocated at venues.  Since they were only playing TA and they know exactly how long it is they may have to cut songs to add in others.  However, I still think it would be sad to do that.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4030 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »
So they cut songs from the main show in order to play the encore songs. That sucks because those are all great songs live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4031 on: November 10, 2016, 11:40:02 AM »
I don't know, it sounds like they are making up the increased play time by cutting TA songs. Maybe it's a curfew problem or something.
I hope that's what it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4032 on: November 10, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »

I think the San Antonio show had a curfew. The show ended at 10:15pm and the parking was only valid until 1030pm. I think most of these opera houses/theater venues have early curfews.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4033 on: November 10, 2016, 12:20:07 PM »
Does ANYONE besides me like Whispers on the Wind? I know for a lot of you it kills the mood or something, maybe I'm just weird, but I really liked it.

I do. And I don't get that "momentum" thing after Losing Faythe. Nafaryus asks Gabriel to revive Faythe, and WOTW is Gabriel doubting that he can do it. For that purpose, it is absolutely perfect. Nothing more needs to be said.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4034 on: November 10, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »

I think the San Antonio show had a curfew. The show ended at 10:15pm and the parking was only valid until 1030pm. I think most of these opera houses/theater venues have early curfews.

Man, that's rough then. I mean, I'm not even that much a fan of TA, but when I went to see them in Boston, I came to see TA in totality. Had they replaced songs with staple songs, I probably wouldn't have been happy.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4035 on: November 10, 2016, 12:47:10 PM »
Man, that's rough then. I mean, I'm not even that much a fan of TA, but when I went to see them in Boston, I came to see TA in totality. Had they replaced songs with staple songs, I probably wouldn't have been happy.

Yeah I tend to agree with that notion. If they wanted to add a couple extra songs as an encore to TA in it's entirety, that's cool. But to do that at the cost of songs that actually make up the story that is TA, when the main focus of the show is supposed to be just that...Not sure that's a great idea.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #4036 on: November 10, 2016, 08:59:26 PM »
I like whispers too. It is the emotional low point that sets up Hymn which is light after the darkness.  I also like the phrasing by James.

Offline Blind Faythe

« Reply #4037 on: November 11, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
Relistened to The Astonishing and it still never gets old. Dystopian Overture really sticks out to me now. The introduction is just very catchy and that moment when all the instruments get their spot in the spotlight...wow, that was amazing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4038 on: November 12, 2016, 03:31:42 AM »
Whispers on the wind is wonderful, the darkest point of the album as far as I'm concerned. Excellent song.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #4039 on: November 12, 2016, 02:17:47 PM »
When I listened to it the other day, it dawned on me that Dystopian Overture sounds "right" as a piece of music. Every section is meant to be there, and to be preceded and followed by the sections/themes they are preceded and followed by. It's not just a procession of themes for the sake of it. It serves a purpose to transport us into the world of the story.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4040 on: November 19, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »
When I listened to it the other day, it dawned on me that Dystopian Overture sounds "right" as a piece of music. Every section is meant to be there, and to be preceded and followed by the sections/themes they are preceded and followed by. It's not just a procession of themes for the sake of it. It serves a purpose to transport us into the world of the story.

Dystopian Overture is still one of my favorite parts of the album. It's just perfect and flows nicely into TGOM
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evai

« Reply #4041 on: November 20, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »
I get really into 2285 Entr'acte, singing the lyrics that go with all the callbacks  :D Some of them have to have words chopped out though
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4042 on: November 21, 2016, 04:02:01 AM »
Still love this album, i have to say. Even though it's not suited for a casual listen, it's ambitious, it's different and it showed a DT that is willing to take risks and try something different. I really appreciate that mentality.

The only downside which seems to be the case with all the recent DT albums, is the forced "epicness" especially during the song endings, which becomes a little cheesy and a little stale after a few times.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #4043 on: November 21, 2016, 06:53:39 AM »
Whispers on the wind is wonderful, the darkest point of the album as far as I'm concerned. Excellent song.

I find it beautiful as well.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4044 on: November 21, 2016, 06:51:13 PM »
Still love this album, i have to say. Even though it's not suited for a casual listen, it's ambitious, it's different and it showed a DT that is willing to take risks and try something different. I really appreciate that mentality.

The only downside which seems to be the case with all the recent DT albums, is the forced "epicness" especially during the song endings, which becomes a little cheesy and a little stale after a few times.
I love the epic endings, it elevates to a whole new level and puts me in a better mood.. I say keep up the good work DT!!!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4045 on: November 21, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »

I love the epic endings, it elevates to a whole new level and puts me in a better mood.. I say keep up the good work DT!!!

You're just a squid.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4046 on: November 22, 2016, 01:46:42 AM »
Yep, even squid brains can comprehend great music when they hear it from the depths.  :yarr
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4047 on: November 22, 2016, 09:06:07 AM »
If they decide not to film TA live in its entirety it's completely fine with me. Studio is enough for me. Well...
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4048 on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:32 AM »
I see a live DVD release highly unlikely at this point. It appears they are done with their Astonishing shows for good (given the upcoming I&W European tour). Maybe there will be an Asian leg for the Astonishing live, but the DVD possibility seems to be less likely each passing day.

I hope I'm wrong tho. A live release would be very nice.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4049 on: November 22, 2016, 10:58:21 AM »
I see a live DVD release highly unlikely at this point. It appears they are done with their Astonishing shows for good (given the upcoming I&W European tour). Maybe there will be an Asian leg for the Astonishing live, but the DVD possibility seems to be less likely each passing day.

I hope I'm wrong tho. A live release would be very nice.

They can always release a Live compilation with footage from different places/countries.  ;)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4050 on: November 22, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »
Maybe they have allready filmed a show and are just keeping hush hush about it. If that was the case though, some fan would have likely posted something about it on this forum or on social media.
I'm wondering if they are planning on privately filming this with a full orchestra and chior without a audience, and make a big production out of it. One can only speculate,  there hasn't been any official announcement about TA being documented so this one may be getting away from us. That would be kind of a bummer, being that this is such a unique concert experience.  Having this captured on film would be something special!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4051 on: November 22, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
Maybe they have allready filmed a show and are just keeping hush hush about it. If that was the case though, some fan would have likely posted something about it on this forum or on social media.

No way they don't let the people in the audience know they're being filmed for a future release. I could see them not announcing it beforehand, but witholding the information from the very people who will be immortalized on the DVD? nah.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4052 on: November 22, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
My guess is they would just record footage of everything, and then make a compilation, like Chaos in Motion... but done right  :biggrin:

Hope we can get an official update on it soon, they haven't confirmed anything  :-\

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #4053 on: November 22, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
Just a note from a youtube video I was watching today, I think it's one of mr.dreamtheater2's vids. 1993 rare studio jam or something, with newspaper interviews as the background. In one of those interviews, James actually states that way back then, one of the things that he wanted to do was a musical. Looks like he got his wish many, many years later haha.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4054 on: November 22, 2016, 08:06:05 PM »
Just a note from a youtube video I was watching today, I think it's one of mr.dreamtheater2's vids. 1993 rare studio jam or something, with newspaper interviews as the background. In one of those interviews, James actually states that way back then, one of the things that he wanted to do was a musical. Looks like he got his wish many, many years later haha.

Very true. The Theater Equation was pretty awesome.  :hat
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #4055 on: November 22, 2016, 09:03:23 PM »

Very true. The Theater Equation was pretty awesome.  :hat
Oh absolutely, that was a show I wish I could have been to for sure.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #4056 on: November 23, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »
So why is DT skipping songs from TA on the past few shows? I saw it being discussed, just don't know if anyone knew the reason.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4057 on: November 23, 2016, 12:33:02 PM »
So why is DT skipping songs from TA on the past few shows? I saw it being discussed, just don't know if anyone knew the reason.

To make room for the new encore songs.  It has been discussed quite a bit in the tour section.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4058 on: November 23, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »
As much as I love TA, I'm excited to hear some non-TA songs when I go to the show in Durham. It will be my first time hearing classic Dream Theater, which is always a cool feeling.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #4059 on: November 23, 2016, 03:02:52 PM »
Can someone with an ear for chords help me out? I'm trying to work out a particular chord in Begin Again, and it only appears very briefly in each verse. At these lyrics, chord appears with lyrics in bold/italic:

"In an instant, life could change, and now and then, begin again..."

It's stunningly beautiful (as is the entire song, one of their most gorgeous songs ever). If someone could help, that would be awesome!