Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 517139 times)

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3780 on: July 20, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
Please, don’t crucify me, but…

Recently I have grown to like not only WDADU, but also The Astonishing as well. I have been listening to it a lot the past two weeks or so. However, it's still a tad overlong and ballad heavy and so on. Since my wife feels that much more than me (she was complaining it's overlong and too plodding etc), I've decided to do some cuts.

In the end I have decided to do a personal tracklists. Kind of a ... well, a "director's cut", so to speak. Two CDs/parts, some shuffling around (so the story is very non-linear, because I had to switch some songs even between the acts). In the end there are 22 songs and the length is 1 hour and 41 minutes. But the most important is the flow, which is now much better, I believe. I have repeatedly tried and deleted and tried and added until I was satisfied at last.

Part 1 / CD 1
1. Dystopian Overture
2. The Gift of Music
3. A Savior in the Square
4. When Your Time Has Come
5. Three Days
6. Act of Faythe
7. A Tempting Offer
8. The X Aspect
9. Heaven's Cove
10. A New Beginning
11. The Road to Revolution

Part 2 / CD 2
1. 2285 Entr'acte
2. Brother Can You Hear Me?
3. Ravenskill
4. Our New World
5. Chosen
6. Moment of Betrayal
7. The Walking Shadow
8. My Last Farewell
9. A Life Left Behind
10. Hymn of a Thousand Voices
11. The Astonishing

(At least my wife prefers it to the official version, so the hours put into it were not spent in vain  ;D )

I'm actually quite proud of this one - I am listening to it again and I really enjoy it more and more. Especially the second part/act, the sequence Ravenskill -> Our New World -> Chosen -> Moment of Betrayal -> The Walking Shadow is really cool, at least from the musical point of view.

Of course you're free to criticise and discuss it. I just want to stress I really like the album as a whole, but it's a lot to take in in one listen. This is more like a "short" version for those already initiated.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:59:47 PM by matthewmatt »
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3781 on: July 27, 2016, 01:31:24 AM »
YOU FIEND!
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3782 on: July 27, 2016, 05:35:27 AM »
You're missing the second best song yet kept all the bottom 5 songs in.  :eek

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3783 on: July 27, 2016, 08:51:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBHNDb6haE

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but they released the Moment of Betrayal projection. I didn't realize how many shots are reused in the projection in some of the songs.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #3784 on: July 27, 2016, 09:01:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a45GI-IPoaI

They've also dropped the tour visuals for The Road to Revolution last week too. I kinda wonder if they're gonna release one for each song on the album...

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #3785 on: July 28, 2016, 01:02:54 PM »

My talets are limitless, you see...
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3786 on: July 28, 2016, 04:24:33 PM »

My talets are limitless, you see...

Are you trying to say toilets?

Offline matthewmatt

« Reply #3787 on: July 28, 2016, 11:58:23 PM »
Are you trying to say toilets?

Now that you mention it, that too! All my life I've been trying to fill up all the toilets I come across and I haven't been successful so far. The stuff just... disappears. Must be doing something wrong. :huh:

Anyway, that second tracklist is not all that good and I'll probably delete it. But I'm still quite satisfied with the first one and enjoy it a lot.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3788 on: July 29, 2016, 04:19:17 PM »
https://teamrock.com/feature/2016-07-28/the-man-behind-dream-theater-concert-films

Interesting interview with Bernard at Lucion, the company behind the visuals. Interesting that they knew A New Beginning's visuals weren't up to par and worked on them later. I thought it was different on later legs. And now we know what happened to the holograms that the band had talked about earlier but never happened. That would have been really cool!
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3789 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »
And now we know what happened to the holograms that the band had talked about earlier but never happened. That would have been really cool!
Yeah, I was thinking about this. I was worried that at my show last month, there had been holograms and I hadn't payed attention.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3790 on: July 30, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
I think the band had good plans but they fell through. My god, this has to be the saddest promotion ever for a band. They, had big plans, the record company couldn't deliver. So I see why quite a few bands left roadrunner records.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3791 on: July 31, 2016, 07:11:55 AM »
I think the band had good plans but they fell through. My god, this has to be the saddest promotion ever for a band. They, had big plans, the record company couldn't deliver. So I see why quite a few bands left roadrunner records.

I think this is too exagerated.
DT, as well as many people, consider this a success. The only issue I see is the preorder scandal, but other than that, I don't see how is it sad or bad.
The animating company didn't have too much time and two hours of animation is a very long shot, yet I think they did a good job and made it very enjoyable.
I guess people were expecting some sort of Pixar/Dreamworks animation to cover everything.

But please, TA sold well, don't go as far as to say it was a sad promotion because it wasn't.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3792 on: July 31, 2016, 07:37:51 AM »
Great interview.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3793 on: July 31, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
I guess people were expecting some sort of Pixar/Dreamworks animation to cover everything.

But please, TA sold well, don't go as far as to say it was a sad promotion because it wasn't.
I suppose people were expecting much better, since it was the band/label/companies who announced cool things that eventually fell through or have been indefinitely postponed (the holograms, the deluxe packages, the videogame). I'm not complaining, since I didn't really think any of those things was really that important, but I do think it's reasonable for others to complain.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3794 on: July 31, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »

I suppose people were expecting much better, since it was the band/label/companies who announced cool things that eventually fell through or have been indefinitely postponed (the holograms, the deluxe packages, the videogame). I'm not complaining, since I didn't really think any of those things was really that important, but I do think it's reasonable for others to complain.

Blaming the label for things such as the animation and the videogame is absurd, as the bandmembers were the ones who approached them in the first place. As for the videogame, well, it's an autonomous company who has it delayed.

Now if the label had told them "Here, use these guys" we would be talking differently, but as far as the interviews prove, all the label did was greenlighting stuff.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3795 on: July 31, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Blaming the label for things such as the animation and the videogame is absurd, as the bandmembers were the ones who approached them in the first place. As for the videogame, well, it's an autonomous company who has it delayed.

In general, a band of five people can hardly use lack of creative resources as an explanation. Not utilizing the other band members seems to have been a fully conscious decision.

I wasn't even aware of the whole hologram thing. Yeah, that probably would have done a huge job at tying the story into the performance.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jvelvet3

« Reply #3796 on: July 31, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Six months in, and I still can't stop listening to this album. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a new album almost exclusively for this long without getting burned out on it (I still haven't given the new Avantasia, which came out the same day, a full listen through). I think I can safely say TA will probably end up as my favorite DT release. It has so much variety, which is what I really like about DT (and music in general). I'm a sucker for ballads/power ballads, so I love Act of Faythe, Chosen, A Life Left Behind, Begin Again, Losing Faythe, and Hymn of a Thousand Voices. But when I want something heavier, I can go to A Tempting Offer, Moment of Betrayal, The Path That Divides, Walking Shadow, or to the craziness of Lord Nafaryus and Three Days. And of course there's The Gift of Music, A New Beginning, Our New World, A Better Life, Savior in the Square, and the beautiful Heaven's Cove. So much good stuff... I made a single CD version for my car, but had to leave out a lot of great songs that just wouldn't fit.

This album is unlike anything else in their catalog. I love the orchestration, the choirs, the piano, James Labrie, JP's guitar solos in A Better Life, Savior in the Square, When Your Time Has Come, A New Beginning, Chosen, etc, and MM's sometimes subtle drum work. There's so many great melodies from this album that are constantly stuck in my head. I think I'm addicted to it, and I may need help.  :lol

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3797 on: July 31, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
Six months in, and I still can't stop listening to this album. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a new album almost exclusively for this long without getting burned out on it (I still haven't given the new Avantasia, which came out the same day, a full listen through). I think I can safely say TA will probably end up as my favorite DT release. It has so much variety, which is what I really like about DT (and music in general). I'm a sucker for ballads/power ballads, so I love Act of Faythe, Chosen, A Life Left Behind, Begin Again, Losing Faythe, and Hymn of a Thousand Voices. But when I want something heavier, I can go to A Tempting Offer, Moment of Betrayal, The Path That Divides, Walking Shadow, or to the craziness of Lord Nafaryus and Three Days. And of course there's The Gift of Music, A New Beginning, Our New World, A Better Life, Savior in the Square, and the beautiful Heaven's Cove. So much good stuff... I made a single CD version for my car, but had to leave out a lot of great songs that just wouldn't fit.

This album is unlike anything else in their catalog. I love the orchestration, the choirs, the piano, James Labrie, JP's guitar solos in A Better Life, Savior in the Square, When Your Time Has Come, A New Beginning, Chosen, etc, and MM's sometimes subtle drum work. There's so many great melodies from this album that are constantly stuck in my head. I think I'm addicted to it, and I may need help.  :lol

I'm with you JV.  TA may not end up being my all time fave DT album, but after all this time and untold numbers of play, I am still loving the album and have not hit the "ok I'll skip this song" phase yet.  Still fresh and no signs of fatigue of any of it. 
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3798 on: July 31, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »

In general, a band of five people can hardly use lack of creative resources as an explanation. Not utilizing the other band members seems to have been a fully conscious decision.

It definitely was. JP confirmed that he approached the band and requested that the album be written exclusively by him and JR.

I think that idea was fine for a first draft, but maybe the other guys could've given input after.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3799 on: July 31, 2016, 06:46:28 PM »

I think this is too exagerated.
DT, as well as many people, consider this a success. The only issue I see is the preorder scandal, but other than that, I don't see how is it sad or bad.
The animating company didn't have too much time and two hours of animation is a very long shot, yet I think they did a good job and made it very enjoyable.

I'm talking mainly about Roadrunner, and how unprofessional they are handling this. I think they bit off more then they could chew.

The CD, shows and animations are top notch I feel.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #3800 on: July 31, 2016, 07:08:49 PM »

Now if the label had told them "Here, use these guys" we would be talking differently, but as far as the interviews prove, all the label did was greenlighting stuff.
Hey, I agree that the label probably wasn't responsible for the animation and videogame. What (I understand) they are responsible for is the delay on the deluxe packages.

In short, this is what I was thinking:
- Delay in deluxe packages: label.
- Delay in videogame: the videogame company (who advertised 'April' & 'Q2' as release dates).
- Lack of holograms: well, I didn't read any press release by the animation company, but the band talked about holograms in some interviews before the European leg.

But yeah, maybe they (label, companies, and band) thought that they would be able to achieve what they set for or promised, but ran out of enough time. (Kind of what happened to the Nafaryus intro and the "A New Beginning" solo in the album. :P)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3801 on: August 01, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »
Well, when you're trying to pull off such an enormous project like this, something's just bound to go wrong. Taking all the different complicated factors that went into all of this, I'm impressed Dream Theater's gone this far with all of it. People forget how much work was involved in every little detail and aspect of The Astonishing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3802 on: August 01, 2016, 07:43:16 PM »
Well, when you're trying to pull off such an enormous project like this, something's just bound to go wrong. Taking all the different complicated factors that went into all of this, I'm impressed Dream Theater's gone this far with all of it. People forget how much work was involved in every little detail and aspect of The Astonishing.

:tup
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3803 on: August 02, 2016, 08:39:16 AM »
Agreed. It's way easier to pick on the things that one doesn't like, but enjoy it or not the enormous effort has to be recognised nevertheless.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3804 on: August 02, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
Agreed. It's way easier to pick on the things that one doesn't like, but enjoy it or not the enormous effort has to be recognised nevertheless.
Indeed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3805 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »
I do wonder if DT's tour in Europe immediately after the album release was a bit too aggressive timeline wise.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3806 on: August 02, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »

Well said. Unfortunately, most people seem too comfortable picking on every last detail instead of enjoying something for what it is. I'm the snob here, yet it seems like others are infinitely more imperious about the music. There's a difference between not liking something and nitpicking on the most trivial details.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3807 on: August 02, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
THAT MASTERING ERROR AT THE END OF A TEMPTING OFFER COMPLETELY RUINS THE ALBUM EXPERIENCE FOR ME.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3808 on: August 02, 2016, 11:56:38 AM »
THAT MASTERING ERROR AT THE END OF A TEMPTING OFFER COMPLETELY RUINS THE ALBUM EXPERIENCE FOR ME.

your caps ruins the forum experience for me :neverusethis:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3809 on: August 02, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »

THAT HORRIBLE LOOPING CRICKET SOUND AT THE START OF THE PATH THAT DIVIDES COMPLETELY RUINS THE ALBUM EXPERIENCE FOR ME.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3810 on: August 03, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »

THAT HORRIBLE LOOPING CRICKET SOUND AT THE START OF THE PATH THAT DIVIDES COMPLETELY RUINS THE ALBUM EXPERIENCE FOR ME.

Now you're getting it. Personally, I just can't listen to it anymore because I don't like the shade of blue they made the sky on the cover.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3811 on: August 03, 2016, 07:24:18 AM »
Hugh Syme would have done a better job at it, I can only imagine the top notch quality cover of TA by HS.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #3812 on: August 03, 2016, 12:18:35 PM »
I'm saying I love this album.

If I were to rank it. It'd be 2ND right now.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3813 on: August 03, 2016, 04:46:41 PM »
Hugh Syme would have done a better job at it, I can only imagine the top notch quality cover of TA by HS.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3814 on: August 03, 2016, 04:49:49 PM »
 :rollin :rollin
fanticide.bandcamp.com