Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518144 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #3570 on: June 14, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3571 on: June 14, 2016, 09:57:40 AM »
Yeah, that was great! Can't wait to see 'em live.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3572 on: June 14, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »
I always figured if they released a DVD of this tour that a bonus feature would be just the visuals from the songs.  Pretty cool to see this released.

Offline smegolas

« Reply #3573 on: June 16, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »
I always figured if they released a DVD of this tour that a bonus feature would be just the visuals from the songs.  Pretty cool to see this released.

since I never got to see the tour, will be sooooo disappointed if they don't release it on dvd.  do we know if this is coming?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3574 on: June 16, 2016, 09:49:23 AM »

since I never got to see the tour, will be sooooo disappointed if they don't release it on dvd.  do we know if this is coming?
Nothing official from the band.  But JP told me in early May that they really wanted to.  So the desire is definitely there.  It's just a matter of making it happen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline smegolas

« Reply #3575 on: June 16, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »
well...doesn't this involve some planning?  don't they have to decide to do this in advance so they have all the necessary equipment there to film it? 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3576 on: June 16, 2016, 11:27:28 AM »
On the new JP-2C plus videos - there's a camera attached to JP's mic stand.

Could be for on screen visuals or it could be for a DVD.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3577 on: June 16, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
well...doesn't this involve some planning?  don't they have to decide to do this in advance so they have all the necessary equipment there to film it?

My completely personal assumption is that they use the first round of concerts in Europe, USA and elsehwere to get a feel of the venues and theaters, and in the second legs that will follow, they will record the DVD in the venue that either sonically or aestetically pleases them most.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3578 on: June 16, 2016, 12:57:34 PM »
Interesting.  That could potentially bode well for getting to see a (somewhat) local show on DVD then, since band, crew, and management were gaga over the Fox Theater in Oakland.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3579 on: June 16, 2016, 01:17:22 PM »

My completely personal assumption is that they use the first round of concerts in Europe, USA and elsehwere to get a feel of the venues and theaters, and in the second legs that will follow, they will record the DVD in the venue that either sonically or aestetically pleases them most.

They could also be looking at places that are good to allow for an orchestra/choir too.  That's just wishful thinking on my part, but who knows. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3580 on: June 16, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »

They could also be looking at places that are good to allow for an orchestra/choir too.  That's just wishful thinking on my part, but who knows.

I'm really done with alive DVD with an orchestra. I feel like if a band wants to do it once, fine. I thought it was unnecessary. 
The thing is, this should be the time they should use one. But it would now be the third time they film with an orchestra, and THB, I have no interest in it. I'd be happy just to hear how the band pulled it off by themselves each night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3581 on: June 16, 2016, 04:06:17 PM »
Neither Score nor the BTFW orchestras added anything substantial anyway imo. If anything on Score they made some of the parts worse.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3582 on: June 16, 2016, 04:23:26 PM »

I'm really done with alive DVD with an orchestra. I feel like if a band wants to do it once, fine. I thought it was unnecessary. 
The thing is, this should be the time they should use one. But it would now be the third time they film with an orchestra, and THB, I have no interest in it. I'd be happy just to hear how the band pulled it off by themselves each night.
I hear you, but since it would be warranted this time around, I wouldn't mind.  To me, it more depends on the music.  If the music calls for it, I'm fine with them doing it again.  Epica and Within Temptation have done it for more than one live release as well, but their music calls for it, so it's cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3583 on: June 16, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
Well, if they had a Ytsejam style release of another show without an orchestra to contrast, fine. I love the Santiago '05 DVD!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3584 on: June 16, 2016, 04:28:30 PM »
Is that the one where James goes, "You know why we love to play Santiago?  You know WHY?  Because you people really know how to partaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3585 on: June 16, 2016, 05:43:53 PM »
Is that the one where James goes, "You know why we love to play Santiago?  You know WHY?  Because you people really know how to partaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!"

:lol probably (although I can't recall since it's been awhile since I watched that DVD) but that crowd is easily the most crazy on any DT release that I have seen.

As for a recording with an orchestra, this totally calls for it, but I think I'd also be fine without it.  It really might add to the show though if it was done right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3586 on: June 17, 2016, 08:59:19 AM »
With orchestra/choir, without orchestra/choir, whatever.

Just shoot it like the video for Our New World.  That was awesome.  Give me 34 songs worth of THAT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3587 on: June 17, 2016, 09:06:56 AM »
With orchestra/choir, without orchestra/choir, whatever.

Just shoot it like the video for Our New World.  That was awesome.  Give me 34 songs worth of THAT.
This is the dream. Awesome shots/quality/overall vibe.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BanksD

« Reply #3588 on: June 19, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Way late to the game but , I've finally been getting around to this album

DT12 was great at the time. But after a few months it kinda got stale, and I kinda lost interest in DT. When all this Astonishing stuff got announced I was kinda like "...really" and didnt really feel interested in listening.

However in the last week Ive been starting to get interested in DT again so I decided to check out this album and I'm very impressed! Even if the album is a little bloated and overlong imo, it's great to see that Dream Theater is still ambitious and interested in doing new things this many albums into their career. Theres about 10 or 15 songs here that are just amazing and will probably go down as some of my favorite DT songs.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3589 on: June 21, 2016, 02:49:24 AM »
The last two days, I have been listening to the album in a very silent environment with my in-ears. With no noise, JM is very audible and his playing in this album is amazing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3590 on: June 21, 2016, 04:02:32 AM »
Listened to Disc 1 on my headphones whilst playing Borderlands 2.

Tonight will be Disc 2.

:)

Still liking the album.

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #3591 on: June 22, 2016, 01:50:59 PM »
This album is wearing well for me; definitely in my top five.  Yes, DT probably won't make as much money as they normally do off this album, and I'm sure they knew that from the beginning of their effort.  I respect them all the more for releasing an album like this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3592 on: June 28, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »
My single favorite moment of the entire album(s) is during Savior In The Square where Gabriel sings:

"Brother, worry not today.
I will share my music,
and they will soon be on their way."

Goosebumps. Every. Single. Time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3593 on: June 28, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
Yeah, I love that part too (as well as the next lines that follow before the transition).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3594 on: June 28, 2016, 07:49:58 PM »
Yeah, I love that part too (as well as the next lines that follow before the transition).

The vocal melodies are some of the best in their catalog. Hard to call a 2 hour+ album a total tease, but I really need a song that repeats that part at least 2 or 3 times! :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3595 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:49 PM »
For me, the album's major tease in terms of an ever-so-brief epic moment that screams out to be repeated and never is, is the riff in Ravenskill at 2:22.  (and I am guessing that you don't even need to look it up the timestamp)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3596 on: June 28, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
To me, it is the most theatrical riff on the album and I too was disappointed it never comes back. It's so epic. I also wish 3:04 was repeated again because it is so emotional with the choir over that held guitar note. Ravenskill is full of teases
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #3597 on: June 29, 2016, 04:13:35 AM »
To me, it's the 12 string guitar opening of HC...I wanted to hear more of that for sure!

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3598 on: June 29, 2016, 05:15:07 AM »
My single favorite moment of the entire album(s) is during Savior In The Square where Gabriel sings:

"Brother, worry not today.
I will share my music,
and they will soon be on their way."

Goosebumps. Every. Single. Time.

Love it..

For me, the album's major tease in terms of an ever-so-brief epic moment that screams out to be repeated and never is, is the riff in Ravenskill at 2:22.  (and I am guessing that you don't even need to look it up the timestamp)

Love it..  :lol

A goosebumps moment for me is in Begin Again, around 2:20:

"I know that I am meant for something more,
That life beyond these walls
Has greater things in store.."

There's something very cool about that little section.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3599 on: June 29, 2016, 05:28:32 AM »
Yes! That section in Begin Again is excellent. Very emotional part for the character and a sign of hope.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3600 on: June 29, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
After taking a two months break to listen to some other GREAT albums released this year, plus a couple of discog dives, I've spun The Astonishing last night and again tonight.

This album is an amazing journey. And again, bravo James!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #3601 on: June 30, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
5 months since album was released I just now realized how good Losing Faythe is :lol
Especially last part starting with: "Gabriel, my son..."
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #3602 on: June 30, 2016, 06:44:02 AM »
I think that "Chosen" should definitely be played again on future tours. A really fun song on the album, but perfect for a live setting.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3603 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »
I think that "Chosen" should definitely be played again on future tours. A really fun song on the album, but perfect for a live setting.

Agreed, that song came across really well live, one of the highlights of the show.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3604 on: June 30, 2016, 06:55:59 AM »
I bet Chosen was nice live, but it's one of the songs I usually skip. It will be interesting to see how this album will be represented on future tours. Will two smaller pieces be paired like War/Test? There are plenty of standalone songs, Gift Of Music, Ravenskill, Chosen, Our New World..